• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dixie Kong in my part.
I'd prefer Dixie to be an unique character or at least Isabelle levels of different to Diddy but as long as she has her spin attack in some capacity I'm down for it. Maybe give her DK/Link's Up-B instead of the jetpack.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Arguments about games being too niche are ridiculous. Upon the conclusion of the Terry video, Sakurai said "It doesn't matter if a character is recognisable or not. What matters is if they're fun to play." Little Big Planet and plenty of other "niche" games (which LBP is not) could find themselves into Smash.

And thus give me false hope for Raziel in Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think relevance only mattered for step one where it was Nintendo writing up the shortlist and I'm certain that was on the grounds of who was willing to play ball, not their sales.

For Echos my personal Choice would be Hilda from Link between Worlds but I think the biggest one would be Gooigi from Luigi's Mansion 3. Even if he is just Luigi with jelly physics then he's be one of the best characters in the game.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I wanna say Octoling, but they can be unique with the other weapons Inkling doesn't use.

uhhhh

Medusa? P5R Kasumi?
I honestly wished Inkling used the weapons more as part of their normals. I mean, the more basic weapons, like the Splattershot and Splattershot Jr. That way you could make the Octolings either an Echo with similar normals, but different Neutral, Side and Down specials or make them semiclones while at the same time paying homage to all the different weapons and mechanics in Splatoon.

About the times the community (and this thread) could chill out... I wish I was able to wax poetic about it, but since I can't here's a meme.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Unfortunately, that's the Smash community for you. This is quite bitter to look at. Every passing day honestly feels like a mire blight, then when stuff actually gets announced, people get salty over it.

Smash fans are often some of the most unpleasable fans on the planet. I too admit that. Once they got their most requested newcomer, they don't say "I won't ask for anything again", they just continue the cycle. I pity Sakurai at this point.

I too am demanding sometimes for a female fighter, but once we actually get one, I promise I won't ask for anything.
Yep. There seems to be a lot of "My character or nobody" attitudes. Maybe that's because we had some people pulling for characters for about 13 years or so and I suppose I can understand that. I used to have a lot of characters I didn't want in too but now I feel like there's only about 3-4 I'm not interested in because I have faith that I'll be won over by whatever it is Sakurai makes.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
We'd all prefer she be a new character but that's what I said about Daisy.

*pouts in cacophonous way*
Daisy is literally a clone in the Mario games of Peach. In Super Mario Land, she served Peach's role to the tee, and ever since her debut, she has been relegated to Peach's sidekick.
Granted, Luigi is much the same way, but Luigi's had enough major appearances to differentiate himself from Mario.

Dixie Kong, on the other hand, was unique from Diddy Kong from the get-go.
In every game Dixie has been in, she has had unique traits from Diddy.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
No you don't! Dixie is NOT an Echo!
"You're scared of what you don't understand."
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa- Carson

Dixie doesn't deserve the Echo treatment, but like a lot of Echoes, it's most likely she'd end up one.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think we have our good days and our bad days. The best ones are ones where we're able to get a good discussion going, be it about leaks or mere hypotheticals.

For example, who would you say is the biggest character that'd work as a DLC echo?
If I had to choose, Sceptile to Greninja but I would change all of it's standard moves properties so they at least have some different damage outputs and knockback direction so that they would play differently to Greninja. Change up B to Leaf Tornado similar to Hero, Neutral B to Energy Ball that explodes on impact and Side B to pursuit so Sceptile would home into the opponent like Sonic's homing attack.

If no changes are allowed then I'd pass.

Ivander

Smash Legend
*plays Donkey Kong Country 2*
*plays Diddy*
*presses Attack button*
*Diddy does cartwhell*
*later plays Dixie*
*presses Attack button*
*Dixie whips enemies with her hair*

Seriously, as a Semi-clone, maybe, but as an Echo/Full Clone, no. Dixie literally uses her hair for both combat, gliding and whatnot. Sure, she CAN be an Echo fighter, since Diddy's moves don't have to be fully unique to him, but Dixie not using her hair would be like Mario without fireballs.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Arguments about games being too niche are ridiculous. Upon the conclusion of the Terry video, Sakurai said "It doesn't matter if a character is recognisable or not. What matters is if they're fun to play." Little Big Planet and plenty of other "niche" games (which LBP is not) could find themselves into Smash.

It doesn’t matter if Little Big Planet is niche or not, what matters is that the series is directly owned by a competitor much more hostile to Nintendo than Microsoft is, as well as the fact that the series has never been associated with Nintendo and is a 1st Party icon of PlayStation. That alone makes it borderline impossible for it to join Smash no matter how popular it is.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I think we have our good days and our bad days. The best ones are ones where we're able to get a good discussion going, be it about leaks or mere hypotheticals.

For example, who would you say is the biggest character that'd work as a DLC echo?
Flygon as a Charizard Echo. The biggest difference being that, since Flygon would be standalone and not part of a Pokemon Trainer-type team, its Down Special would instead be Rock Smash (and also serving as a way to kinda-sorta bring back the "solo Charizard" moveset from Smash 4).

Speaking of Smash 4, I think Echo Fighters should incorporate Smash 4's custom moves into their own movesets. For example, if Funky Kong were to get in as Donkey Kong's Echo, his Neutral Special should be Storm Punch (the custom variation of Giant Punch that generates a giant tornado and pushes opponents away). It'd be a good way to make the Echo Fighters more unique without too much effort.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Perhaps if Dixie Kong fans had been more vocal in the first place like Banjo and Rool fans she would have already been in by now as a unique character or a semi clone and they wouldn’t need to be bargaining about echo status. Her being an echo would be punishment for your passive silence. Please start being louder, as a Dixie Kong fan.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
As far as 3rd party echoes go:

Sakura is the most popular Street Fighter character in general.

Zack Fair would be a pretty big deal for Final Fantasy fans. He's also probably the easiest Echo to make ever.

Heroines was a huge missed opportunity. I think most of us expected both Erdricks back in the Brave speculation days.

Trevor Belmont. Just trust me on this lol

If Sakura from Street Fighter got in, Alice Nakata could be an Echo of Terry, since she shares moves/animations with both of them (this one is more of a stretch, but if ya haven't learned by now, SNK bringeth the hype, and I think Sakurai would go the extra mile).

Including Shinobu Jacobs and Sir Henry might make Travis Touchdown way more appealing for people who've never played his games.

I strongly believe that Sumi will be an echo of Joker; P5R helped solidify that.

Heihachi can have Kazuya and/or Jin echoes, if he ever got in.

Same goes for Siegfried for Nightmare or Cassandra for Sophitia. Or even Arthur for Mitsurugi.

My sister lowkey convinced me to jump on the A2 Echo hype train, if we ever get 2B.

Now for 1st parties... I'd rather most of these be their own character, but if it's the only way to make them playable for now:

Dixie
Medusa
Impa
Octoling
And for that one guy who'd be super hyped about it: Gooigi

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
This is a tad of a non-sequitur in regards to the current point of discussion, but y'know, I really, really doubt that Sakurai and his team will ever be able to match the scope of Ultimate in future installments, let alone top it. In terms of licencing, everything added up ridiculously perfectly and luckily. It's all incredible. Because it seems so unlikely Ultimate's sheer volume will ever reoccur, I really hope there's as much DLC as possible before Nintendo decides to stop approving more. If we're farther than we'll ever get again, we really gotta push as hard as we can while we're here, you know? I feel like Ultimate's lifespan is something we all really gotta savor, because there may never be another chance for a Smash game of this scale to exist.
Eh, it's fine.

I'd be okay with a smaller scale Smash game if it meant they could work on fixing the game's many flaws. I don't really care about all this extra character content if the game itself is so lackluster otherwise. They're taking a quantity over quality approach with Ultimate.

Plank08

Smash Lord
That unlisted video is obviously of something. Perhaps something minor, but still something. We're getting something soon, but it could easily be something small and not F5. Timing is oddly around the time 6.1.0 caught our attention. (Notice the middle number is what got bumped.) Maybe a tiny new thing like the stuff in 3.1.0?
I’m pretty sure that middle 1 happened when Pirahna Plant released, I’m expecting an announcement for 5 and a new stage or something to hold us over
(Or maybe 5 is dropping very soon but that’s very unlikely)

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
A couple fun echoes that I could see making it into the game (even if not super likely) are;

Mighty, as a Sonic echo. He'd be a slower tougher version of Sonic and could easily be a semi-clone as well with some moves having been changed/replaced. Just look at some of Sonic's custom moves and you'd get a good idea of which ones fit Mighty better.

Blaziken would be a pretty great echo over Captain Falcon. Neutral B would be tweaked to be 'Focus Punch' with different properties. They'd probably give Blaziken a different recovery like Cloud's for example to further differentiate them just like they did with Chrom. Some of the base stats might be different too.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I’m pretty sure that middle 1 happened when Pirahna Plant released, I’m expecting an announcement for 5 and a new stage or something to hold us over
(Or maybe 5 is dropping very soon but that’s very unlikely)
Wrong. Piranha Plant's release actually coincided with the first first-number bump, to 2.0.0.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I'd be shocked if a Sony IP got into Smash Bros, even if I would like Sly Cooper and the Wanderer from Shadow of the Colossus.

Microsoft makes sense considering they are opening up with cross-play with Switch players and allowing their IPs to go on Nintendo Switch, which is a good marketing move as this will allow their games to reach the Portable Audience, especially in Japan, and allowing players in the West to have a choice in either portability or console/PC graphics. Meanwhile, Sony has been stubborn with doing things that involve their competition, like with cross-play and whatnot and I think only recently has Sony been slowly opening up to crossplay.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Max being a Bomberman echo would be the only way to get him into Smash in a dream reality where we got Bomberman.

Otherwise, I got nothing.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
A helpful guide on how Smash Ultimate's version numbering seems to work:
Anything that adds a new fighter, with or without anything else, bumps the first number.
Balance and/or minor new content, with or without fixes, bumps the middle number.
If it's just fixes, it bumps the third number.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Source Gaming posted a video discussing who Fighters' Pass 5 could be.

Clearly they didn't hear about Vergeben's comments since they considered Doom Slayer a likely candidate for DLC 5.

Plank08

Smash Lord
The last time that happened though, it was uploaded to Nintendo's YouTube channel, and not the Smash Bros. one. The Smash Bros. channel seems to Be only for reveal trailers
Holy crap your right,
FP5??? Don’t get your hopes up too much, but it looks like it’s happening.
Dark Souls time

Plank08

Smash Lord
It doesn’t matter if Little Big Planet is niche or not, what matters is that the series is directly owned by a competitor much more hostile to Nintendo than Microsoft is, as well as the fact that the series is a 1st Party Sony franchise. That alone makes it borderline impossible for it to join Smash no matter how popular it is.
Thanks for reminding me:crying:
This is an oxymoron.
Yeah that didn’t come out right lol

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Source Gaming posted a video discussing who Fighters' Pass 5 could be.

Clearly they didn't hear about Vergeben's comments since they considered Doom Slayer a likely candidate for DLC 5.
SourceGaming is like Gamexplain, they don't go off from known leaks, they just go with their guts or whatever at least seems to make the most sense. It seems like almost everybody is on the page of either a Capcom/or Bandai character showing up for Fighter 5, because both of their discussions has mentioned at least one or a couple of characters from each company.

Once again, Spazzy also brings up the point the Resident Evil is still the only major best selling third party to not make it into Smash or have any representation, that's not Sonic or Final Fantasy, and I honestly believe that Resident Evil is probably the most likely to be DLC if we're talking Capcom characters/franchises to be in, and Resident Evil as a franchise is pretty big and well known enough to have a character reveal at the TGA's.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Heihachi oughta come around eventually just so there's a chance of getting this banger in the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Holy crap your right,
FP5??? Don’t get your hopes up too much, but it looks like it’s happening.
Dark Souls time
Don't bet on 100% Dark Souls. That statement you made is quite ironic. You're setting the bar too much.

See, honestly you set your hopes a little bit too high. What if Sackboy was leaked, yet it wasn't confirmed by the higher-ups (Sabi, Verge, etc)? Would you jump to conclusions? Honestly if Morrigan or KOS-MOS was leaked by Verge I wouldn't jump right to it in my case. You better start hyping in moderation. What if we didn't get Dark Souls?

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
No you don't! Dixie is NOT an Echo!
Dixie is my most wanted Nintendo rep.

But why WOULDNT she be an echo? her only distinguishing trait from diddy is her hair (so give her an extra jump? change her B up?). other than that, swap the peanut gun for a bubble gum one, give her Diddy's old rapid jab (but make it her hair). Boom.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Smash just doesn't feel right with Ryu and Terry, but no Heihachi.
Yea. Tekken isn't based on stick inputs, but if this guy figured out how to translate Tekken into Smash, Sakurai and his team sure as hell can as well:

He's not even one of my most wanted. My OCD just DEMANDS him.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Yea. Tekken isn't based on stick inputs, but if this guy figured out how to translate Tekken into Smash, Sakurai and his team sure as hell can as well:

I really want Heihachi, but FP5 is definitely not his time, nor should it be. Hopefully post-pass DLC...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Wouldn't his splash screen be more like Ryu's, though? As in, instead of "Heihachi Mishima is ready for the next battle!", it would be closer to the style of Tekken, with "Get ready for the next battle!" appearing first and then his name afterwards.

I saw similar things done for Sol Badguy and Kazuma Kiryu. Might sound like a weird nitpick, but I think it would be a welcome change in these cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom