• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
More the reason to possibility believe FP5 coming out this month. Normally upon being revealed an DLC character gets released two months after.

Still I expect it to not be until the VGA but we can keep hoping.
I'm thinking they'll wait for the main hype cycle of Sword and Sheild to calm down before announcing anything new Smash but Nintendo and TPC seem to work to the beat of different drums these days so who knows. Here's hoping though

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So yeah I think it’ll just be a new feature announcement, showcasing what’s new in 6.1.0. No new character announcements yet. After all they did a video for the features in 3.1.0 which was VR Labo support and... I think there was something else... stage builder right?

I see with the 6.1.0 video, the “convention” datamined online mode, and something else...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So yeah I think it’ll just be a new feature announcement, showcasing what’s new in 6.1.0. No new character announcements yet. After all they did a video for the features in 3.1.0 which was VR Labo support and... I think there was something else... stage builder right?

I see with the 6.1.0 video, the “convention” datamined online mode, and something else...
That is certainly possible, but I am more optimistic hoping that its a character reveal.
We're talking about the blue dot on YouTube. Right?

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
That is certainly possible, but I am more optimistic hoping that its a character reveal.
We're talking about the blue dot on YouTube. Right?
I believe so, but I don’t think we’ll be seeing anything until possibly TGA. November has so far consistently had only one game-specific direct as the only direct for the month, and that spot was taken by Terry’s presentation already. I find it unlikely that we will have a general direct later this month to announce anything based on this.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Stage builder came with Joker, I think. What we got was some Online related stuff, if memory serves.

That said, I think the VR video was an exception - Odyssey and BotW got their own separate videos for that, too. Unless it's a whole new feature like that, I don't see much reason for an entire update except fixing the bigger bugs.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So this patch should be out by Thursday or Friday. If it was simple bug fixes, it wold have been Patch 6.0.1. If there are more balance changes, I'm hoping Zelda, Meta Knight, and Lucas get buffed.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The blue dot could be a reveal, I guess, but the timing feels a bit... off. Not because of SwSh, since frankly, that isn't really a factor, but because the last big Smash showing was literally less than a week ago.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Touhou was obscure outside of Japan at one point, but it's much closer to niche these days.
WHAT THE HELL IS THE DIFFERENCE?!

No Mega Man, Sonic, Castlevania or Fatal Fury, for example.
Did you remember to look for Rockman, Akumajou Dracula and Garou Densetsu? :p

A heavyweight beer-slinging panda would be awesome. Alas, no realistic candidate exists to substitute for that fantasy.
You underestimate Chen Stormstout.

I feel Japanese games have fallen by the wayside in terms of quality. Americans have surpassed them. In the 90s Japanese devs were unquestionably better but America has always had more unique characters. There are plenty of modern and retro western characters I'd like to see but all the japanese characters I want to see are retro.
I might have agreed with you during the 00s. But in the last 10 years or so, what Japanese developers are still around have really gotten their **** together.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The blue dot could be a reveal, I guess, but the timing feels a bit... off. Not because of SwSh, since frankly, that isn't really a factor, but because the last big Smash showing was literally less than a week ago.
I guess it depends on when the video will release. If it's this week or the next, I think it's probably just a minor update. If it's near the end of November, though... almost a month will have passed since Terry and we'll be two weeks from TGA.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Regarding the blue dot regarding a Smash video, didn't Sakurai mention during the Terry stream that the stream was recorded one month before the video was to be shown? Did a Smash video pop up around one month before Terry was revealed?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh, the blue dot? Yeah, that means nothing. There could've been a tag that was misspelled in one of the videos or presentations and they just updated it. Anything that is done to any video will spur that blue dot to show up. Even the most minute detail.

SKX31

Smash Master
Have one on the house!

That doesn't really seem all that likely to me. Back when the Fighter Pass was decided on, I think they really didn't know when that Chinese release would pan out.
Oh, gladly!

They didn't know, no. But, there are a couple of interesting tidbits. First, Furukawa stated this during the last results briefing:

We recognize that the Chinese market is vast and attractive, but looking forward, we don't expect our video game business in China to easily expand, given that our primary markets for dedicated video game consoles, Japan, the Americas, and Europe have been built over the course of more than 30 years.
Tencent have similiarily modest views on the console's chances. So if anything, they weren't sure, but they had a "probable ceiling" in mind. 3-7 million (lifetime) will be okay, and anything above 7-8 million will be great for them, is my guess.

The chances of a reveal at the presentation are slim (that is, unlikely at best), I'll agree on that. Still, I don't wanna discard it if Nintendo / Sakurai chose Terry + 1 (another character that's notable there), and the two saw a chance to go for it. Also, we have no idea when the presentation's gonna take place. November, December or even January. I'm assuming there's gonna be a presentation when they've hinted at the launch. And, they are aiming to launch the Switch there in 6 months (by April 2020 at the latest).

But even if there's no Smash news at the presentation, I still feel that a lot rides on how the Switch does in China. Whether it outperforms expectations or falters it could affect the characters Furukawa suggests to Sakurai for Post-Pass DLC.

(Quick edit: Nintendo began filing trademarks in China by November 2018, for the record.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good morning.

Any news yet?? Sorry for constantly asking; I just don't have time to backread.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
WHAT THE HELL IS THE DIFFERENCE?!
Quite a difference.

Niche means it appeals to a more specific audience. Traditional Fighting Games do not appeal to a huge audience but a much more specific fandom, where others can't deal with the majority of highly specific inputs and prefer easier games. There's a reason why there's a ton of unknown traditional fighting games, because they aren't actually obscure. Just a different appeal.

Obscure means barely anyone knows it. It has nothing to do with simply appealing to a small audience, it's because the game could've done super poorly and was forgotten to the sands of time. Or it barely got any promotion and therefore almost nobody knows about it.

Touhou is still pretty well known, but it just doesn't appeal to a good majority of gamers. Obscure games can appeal to tons of people, but lacked something that actually made it do well enough to actually be known(which as noted, generally is due to having a poor as hell launch/sales or had very bad advertising).

They seem similar but really aren't. What one appeals to isn't the same as "barely anyone knows it". Obviously a niche game could become obscure at some point if the sales or advertising become just that bad. But it's not the most common thing these days.

blackghost

Smash Champion
You're going to love this. Trust me. What you're seeing now is normal salt. :cool:

This is iodized salt. :ghost088:

And this.... This is what is known as sodium chloride that has ascended salt. Or you could just call this potassium chloride. :mad088:

And this.... Is... To go... Even further... Beyond. Ahhhhh!!!! :smileye:

Sheeeiiiiiit. Here's what I had to say about Lara Croft in another conversation. I didn't know we had some mofos who were this unaware of one of the GOATS.

Now let's talk about her move list. Dual pistols aside, this betch has a motorcycle, Excalibur, The Spear of Destiny, AND Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) in her possession and you can't think of anything interesting? She's summoned the undead before. Hell, her bow and arrow has a rope attached to it that doubles as a zipline. She can have a crafting mechanic that includes creating and managing smoke/incendiary bombs, shrapnel grenades, poison gas mines. She can set things on fire with a torch. Wall jumping and clinging is one thing but nobody wall climbs. All of this and she has her style of athleticism. Your lack of imagination is disturbing. Whether they blend every version of her or stick with the newer games, there's a sh*tload of amazing things that Lara can do.

They did not have as much freedom with Piranha Plant as some of you believe. Its move list heavily referenced its long ass history as a recurring enemy with a recycled animation or two thrown in. Lara has a lot more inspiration to draw from.
Thank you doing god's work. I heard some streamers (even Keitoro of all people) groan and wonder why sakurai felt the need to give and education on terry.
This is why. Coming back to Lara while shes number 2 on my personal list behind dante and ahead of sephiroth I didnt think moveset was the issue. And if it came down to 2b vs Lara I have no doubt Lara would be chosen. 2b already appeared as a dlc guest character this year, i'd see that as a disqualifier. I dont think devs want to bein another games shadow.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

The last time that happened though, it was uploaded to Nintendo's YouTube channel, and not the Smash Bros. one. The Smash Bros. channel seems to be used only for reveal trailers.

Oh, the blue dot? Yeah, that means nothing. There could've been a tag that was misspelled in one of the videos or presentations and they just updated it. Anything that is done to any video will spur that blue dot to show up. Even the most minute detail.
I really doubt that it's something this mundane. If that were the case, we'd be getting these notifications a lot more frequently, to the point where people wouldn't specifically point it out.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
2b already appeared as a dlc guest character this year, i'd see that as a disqualifier. I dont think devs want to bein another games shadow.
Terry already appeared as a DLC guest character this year.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think anyone's doing any crossover exclusivity deals.
That kinda undermines the brand IMO.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Ok but Dai from DQ is in Jump Force so Brave literally cannot be Erdrick
I remember when I briefly returned during the era of wondering who Brave was and the whole thread was a mental gymnasium. I promptly vanished again. Things don't seem that bad right now.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Maybe a few years ago when the Japanese devs were in a slump.

But right now? Capcom and Nintendo have been killing it the last couple of years and pretty much FFXIV is one of the top MMORPG right now at least in terms of quality. Plus stuff like Nier Automata and Persona 5 are some of the best games in a while.
As far as gaming is concerned, I think we're living in a Renaissance of sorts everywhere. We have a bunch of indies/crowdfunded games reinventing and/or improving upon oldschool formulas. Household names like Zelda and God of War aren't afraid to reinvent themselves. We have old series coming back from the brink of death getting long-awaited sequels and reboots. I've seen a lot of great games that blend multiple genre together, blurring all sorts of lines. We have a ton of solid story-driven games that push the medium in a different, more artsy direction. Beat 'em ups are back in style. Fighting games are killing it; Under-Night made it to Evo, a literal anime fighting game is on the main stage, and characters are crossing over all over the place. Visual Novels and Traditional JRPGs are more mainstream in the West. Characters don't look as homogenized in general. Mobile games are doing their thing. VR isn't entirely super gimmicky. It's the perfect amount of competition, cooperation, reinventing, and innovation. East, West, North, South, whatever... this is the Golden Age!

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
This is a tad of a non-sequitur in regards to the current point of discussion, but y'know, I really, really doubt that Sakurai and his team will ever be able to match the scope of Ultimate in future installments, let alone top it. In terms of licencing, everything added up ridiculously perfectly and luckily. It's all incredible. Because it seems so unlikely Ultimate's sheer volume will ever reoccur, I really hope there's as much DLC as possible before Nintendo decides to stop approving more. If we're farther than we'll ever get again, we really gotta push as hard as we can while we're here, you know? I feel like Ultimate's lifespan is something we all really gotta savor, because there may never be another chance for a Smash game of this scale to exist.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Wait, correct me if I'm wrong but...aren't those figures from Japanese sales?
It’s the amount of copies from the entire series, I don’t really know how that can change from country to country, LBP may be irrelevant nowadays, but it’s not niche, besides, that shouldn’t really determine if a game deserves to be praised or not.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is a tad of a non-sequitur in regards to the current point of discussion, but y'know, I really, really doubt that Sakurai and his team will ever be able to match the scope of Ultimate in future installments, let alone top it. In terms of licencing, everything added up ridiculously perfectly and luckily. It's all incredible. Because it seems so unlikely Ultimate's sheer volume will ever reoccur, I really hope there's as much DLC as possible before Nintendo decides to stop approving more. If we're farther than we'll ever get again, we really gotta push as hard as we can while we're here, you know? I feel like Ultimate's lifespan is something we all really gotta savor, because there may never be another chance for a Smash game of this scale to exist.
I mean, DQ content in base game was impossible because of the music royalties demanding percentages of sales so good news for the people who still think Hero is broken

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I remember when I briefly returned during the era of wondering who Brave was and the whole thread was a mental gymnasium. I promptly vanished again. Things don't seem that bad right now.
I VERY much doubt speculation will be as bad as the period between the game's release and E3. That period was the low point of Ultimate speculation and may it never be reached again.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Smash speculation has a starting point that's fairly okay, which progressively gets more and more bitter and toxic the more time passes without a reveal, with no floor. When there's a reveal, the toxicity spikes dramatically for a brief moment before going back down to the starting point, and the cycle starts anew. I was here during the time from September to November of 2018. What a hecking awful two months of nothing but toxicity and dread.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash speculation has a starting point that's fairly okay, which progressively gets more and more bitter and toxic the more time passes without a reveal, with no floor. When there's a reveal, the toxicity spikes dramatically for a brief moment before going back down to the starting point, and the cycle starts anew. I was here during the time from September to November of 2018. What a hecking awful two months of nothing but toxicity and dread.
Unfortunately, that's the Smash community for you. This is quite bitter to look at. Every passing day honestly feels like a mire blight, then when stuff actually gets announced, people get salty over it.

Smash fans are often some of the most unpleasable fans on the planet. I too admit that. Once they got their most requested newcomer, they don't say "I won't ask for anything again", they just continue the cycle. I pity Sakurai at this point.

I too am demanding sometimes for a female fighter, but once we actually get one, I promise I won't ask for anything.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think we have our good days and our bad days. The best ones are ones where we're able to get a good discussion going, be it about leaks or mere hypotheticals.

For example, who would you say is the biggest character that'd work as a DLC echo?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think we have our good days and our bad days. The best ones are ones where we're able to get a good discussion going, be it about leaks or mere hypotheticals.

For example, who would you say is the biggest character that'd work as a DLC echo?
I wanna say Octoling, but they can be unique with the other weapons Inkling doesn't use.

uhhhh

Medusa? P5R Kasumi?

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, that's the Smash community for you. This is quite bitter to look at. Every passing day honestly feels like a mire blight, then when stuff actually gets announced, people get salty over it.

Smash fans are often some of the most unpleasable fans on the planet. I too admit that. Once they got their most requested newcomer, they don't say "I won't ask for anything again", they just continue the cycle. I pity Sakurai at this point.

I too am demanding sometimes for a female fighter, but once we actually get one, I promise I won't ask for anything.
until you start the cycle again.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People just need to step back and loosen their grip a bit. Everybody is just white-knuckling it harder and harder the closer we get to release, but that's a good way to have perspective elude you. It's just a game, it's all meant to be fun. You gotta just roll with the punches. Maybe step back, take a break. If a character you like gets in, great. If not, oh well, there's bound to be some other character that seems interesting. Should that not be the case, it's strange that you'd be so invested in the first place.

And I say this as someone who's most-wanted character had one of the most turbulent rides in Smash speculation to date (imo) from Sept to Nov. But, you know, not to pat myself on the back too much, I never lost my cool. On the other hand, I found the Grinch saga to be pretty fun. It's not everyday you have so many people working together to unravel such an elaborate puzzle. But you'll get no argument from me that much of the fanbase descended into pretty horrid behaviour.

The solution is simple, it just, unfortunately, seems to be difficult for some people to achieve. Just take it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom