• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If Tracer gets in, I would stop playing Smash. Not because I hate Tracer or I hate Overwatch, but the addition of Tracer and Genji ruined HOTS for me. Those characters could never keep still, and could follow you pretty much anywhere on the map.
Well, just like what someone on this thread said:

"If Dante's broken, it's the fault of the balancing team, not the character."

So considering with how will they design her moveset, I doubt there would be ire over it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Note: Who’s the Lich King?
He's one of the big bads from Warcraft and a very important character to the Warcraft universe. The original Lich King was a Orc Shaman under the control of the Burning Legion and used to control the Undead Scourge. But the Lich King found a way to break the Undead free from their overlords by corrupting and leading the Paladin-turned-Deathknight Arthas to him, and by Arthas merging with him, they were able to break the Undead Scourge free from the Burning Legion's control. And eventually became the big bad in World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Only reason why I wouldn’t want Reimu is because her moveset would be based on bullethell games and would therefore be...well, hellish to fight against. Could you imagine all those projectiles?
Or her attacks do, like, .1% damage and cause zero knockback and standing in front of her is more like getting DoT'd than hit with an actual attack.

Honestly speaking if I'm going to compare Touhou to any series already represented in Smash, it would be Banjo-Kazooie. A series that was popular in the West, but had a cult following in Japan. Touhou on the other hand has a cult following in the West, but it is definitely a big thing in Japan.
I think even that is overstating things though. Touhou is not a "big thing" in Japan. It's not Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter or Dynasty Warriors. It's popular...for an indie franchise, in Japan.

No folks, Dragon Quest isn't obscure in the West, neither is King of Fighters, nor Touhou. Banjo-Kazooie isn't obscure in Japan either, neither is Punch-Out and neither is Castlevania.
Sorry, but Touhou IS obscure in the west. To a much greater degree than any of the other examples you listed.

If we get a Blizzard character it had better be the Lich King.

Take a gander at this ****ing bad ass.
Illidan would have a much better moveset...

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Yeesh, gatekeepers back on shift today, huh.

- An update on the official Youtube channel is pretty great news, but there's no telling just what exactly they did. We can always hope.
- I think we won't get a Game Award reveal precisely because everyone expects it now - you only get to do a last surprise once. But I could be wrong if either Nintendo doesn't care about that (because TGA is the only popular December event where major announcements can be made) or they're revealing Kratos.
- Thrall is far and away the best Blizzard rep, and the one Nintendo would go for immediately.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Lloyd isn't anywhere close to the face of Tales. I'm pretty sure the only reason Lloyd would get in is because the Smash fanbase really likes him for some reason. Yuri is seen as the face of Tales in Japan.
Time to put my two brain cells to good use.

While Lloyd certainly isn't the most popular Tales of character within the fanbase (that title is shared by the aforementioned Yuri Lowell and Leon Magnes, who are both banned from official popularity polls since they kept winning them), I would argue that he is the most popular Tales of character among non-fans of the Tales of series, thus making Lloyd a more universal pick. Tales of Symphonia's ability to break into the Western market and make a splash in 2004–when the West was much less open to the JRPG franchise–is notable. It even managed to get a sequel, which makes it one out of three games in the entire series to receive one (the other two are Destiny and Xillia). Furthermore, Tales of Symphonia is also the closest title in the series to Nintendo given how much Nintendo marketed the **** out of it (this is why Lloyd appeals to the core fanbase–they either played Symphonia on Gamecube or are attached to him because of his relation to Nintendo).

I go into way more detail in my The Definitive Case for Lloyd Irving, which I'd highly recommend you and anyone else who hasn't read it go take a look at so you can have a better understanding of Lloyd and why people believe he's likely for Ultimate.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
1zTfdhE.jpg

This is interesting collage made by a member here. I just wanted to share this. Top left is the guy who leaked Link Awakening Remake and Mario Maker 2 from what I heard. Microsoft no longer sees Nintendo as a direct competitor. Hell, they even want to put their service on Playstation if possible.

opularity ranking according to Google Trends
This is a popularity comparison based on Google searches, although this isn't enough and the comparison criteria aren't always fair. Google is the most used search engine in the US, Europe and Japan (+90%), and is therefore mainly representative of searches on the web. A Google search also makes something unknown become known. Like or don't like a series have the same result to advance the series in the popular culture.
With Google Trends, it would have been easy to predict SMT/Persona, Dragon Quest and, to a lesser extent, The King of Fighters.
______
Abc
: third-party series represented by Fighters.
Abc: third-party series represented by Assist Trophees or Mii Costumes.
Abc: other series whose the original companies aren't already represented neither Western nor cross-media.
Abc: other series whose the original companies are already represented or Western or cross-media.
It is considered that the 3 cross-media series are Digimon, Tamagotchi and Yo-kai Watch.

In the World
Minecraft > Overwatch > Final Fantasy > Halo > Sonic / Resident Evil > Assassin's Creed > Pac-Man > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > Souls > UNDERTALE / Kingdom Hearts > DOOM > Metal Gear > Street Fighter > Megaman / Tomb Raider > Tekken > SimCity > Digimon > The King of Fighters > Tales of > Touhou Project > The Elder Scrolls / Persona / Devil May Cry / Yo-kai Watch > Harvest Moon > Crash Bandicoot > Dynasty Warriors > Bomberman > Tamagotchi > Castlevania > Professor Layton > Yakuza > SoulCalibur > Rayman > Dead or Alive / Ace Attorney > Phantasy Star > Ninja Gaiden > Ys > Space Invaders / Suikoden > Disgaea / Guilty Gear > Project Zero > Okami > Bayonetta > NieR > Puyo Puyo > Raving Rabbids > Bubble Bobble > Mystery Dungeon > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie > Virtua Fighter > Sakura Wars > No More Heroes / Momotaro Dentetsu > The Tower of Druaga > Ganbare Goemon / Shantae > Street Gangs.
Tomb Raider = Megaman > The King of Fighters > Persona > Castlevania > Bayonetta > Banjo-Kazooie.

In Japan
Dragon Quest
> Monster Hunter > Yo-kai Watch > Minecraft > Final Fantasy > Touhou Project > Tales of > Resident Evil > Metal Gear / Persona > Yakuza > Dynasty Warriors / Kingdom Hearts > Megaman / Tekken > Puyo Puyo > Overwatch > Tamagotchi > Ace Attorney > Devil May Cry > Phantasy Star > Street Fighter > Disgaea > Harvest Moon / Digimon > Project Zero > UNDERTALE > Professor Layton > Suikoden > Assassin's Creed > NieR > The King of Fighters / Guilty Gear / Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer > SimCity > Bayonetta / Ys > Sakura Wars > Sonic > Momotaro Dentetsu > Okami > Bomberman / Dead or Alive > Castlevania > Souls > Halo > Pac-Man > Tomb Raider > Virtua Fighter / Tower of Druaga / DOOM / SoulCalibur > Ninja Gaiden > Crash Bandicoot > Space Invaders > Ganbare Goemon > The Elder Scrolls > Puzzle Bobble > No More Heroes > Shantae / Street Gangs > Raving Rabbids > Rayman > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie.
Tomb Raider > Banjo-Kazooie.
Quoting from Lara Croft support thread. So Halo isn't that much obscure in Japan. It looks like Sakurai is fond of Halo at least. The only missing piece is presence on Nintendo system, but we will see about that.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I can honestly see The Game Awards reveal going four ways
  1. Capcom - It's Jill and/or Leon - Known worldwide. Their release would probably line up pretty close with the Anniversary of the game and their announcement. since RE2 and DMC5 are the frontrunners for The Game Awards, would line up with their nomination of GotY. I don't see Dante happening before a Resident Evil character, honestly.
  2. Namco - It's a Dark Souls character - this would line up decently well with a worldwide audience and in the process bring in Namco's well deserved second representative. If it ain't Dark Souls, then I think it's Tekken, I heavily doubt it's Lloyd, sadly.
  3. Ubisoft - It's Ezio or a bunch of Assassins - Let's face it Assassin's Creed is an absolute powerhouse of a franchise and is known worldwide as well. If there was ever a Ubisoft character coming in it's going to be an AC character, especially considering Rayman is already present in spirit form.
  4. Disney - It's Sora - I feel like this is the one least likely to happen but if it did? Holy hell would it blow the **** up. Doing the impossible has always been Sakurai's shtick. First with Snake, then with Cloud, then with Joker, then with Banjo, and now with Sora. It's a match made in heaven and if there ever was a time to go out with a bang it's on this character. Plus, Disney's shady tactics, like taking royalties from the sales, can be better dealt with in DLC form than in base game. I don't see it happening but maybe that's why it's so perfect...

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord

- An update on the official Youtube channel is pretty great news, but there's no telling just what exactly they did. We can always hope.
- I think we won't get a Game Award reveal precisely because everyone expects it now - you only get to do a last surprise once. But I could be wrong if either Nintendo doesn't care about that (because TGA is the only popular December event where major announcements can be made) or they're revealing Kratos.
- Thrall is far and away the best Blizzard rep, and the one Nintendo would go for immediately.
Hasn't Blizzard stated that they'd love to put Diablo (The character) in Smash?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

While Lloyd certainly isn't the most popular Tales of character within the fanbase (that title is shared by the aforementioned Yuri Lowell and Magnes Chase, who are both banned from official popularity polls since they kept winning them), I would argue that he is the most popular Tales of character among non-fans of the Tales of series, thus making Lloyd a more universal pick. Tales of Symphonia's ability to break into the Western market and make a splash in 2004–when the West was much less open to the JRPG franchise–is notable. It even managed to get a sequel, which makes it one out of three games in the entire series to receive one (the other two are Destiny and Xillia). Furthermore, Tales of Symphonia is also the closest title in the series to Nintendo given how much Nintendo marketed the **** out of it (this is why Lloyd appeals to the core fanbase–they either played Symphonia on Gamecube or are attached to him because of his relation to Nintendo).

I go into way more detail in my The Definitive Case for Lloyd Irving, which I'd highly recommend you and anyone else who hasn't read it go take a look at so you can have a better understanding of Lloyd and why people believe he's likely for Ultimate.
The fact that he's popular in the smash bubble is pretty much why I don't expect him, at the very least as part of the Fighter's pass. I don't particularly think that what the Smash fanbase wants matters for the Fighter's pass. I'm 100% on board with Banjo being the only bone the Smash fanbase gets on the fighters Pass, otherwise it has been pretty well tuned to get people from outside the Smash fanbase to look at Smash. Any character chosen for the pass is going to want to draw in the fanbase it relates too and from a business perspective, Yuri does that for Tales fans far more than Lloyd would.

Bear in mind, this is only my thought on the fighter's pass. Post Fighter's pass I think Lloyd is more likely than Yuri since Sakurai did say that he wants fans to be happy.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The developers of Diablo 3 for Switch mentioned that IIRC. Just like Jeff Kaplan mentioned he would like Tracer in Smash. So it wasn't Blizzard as a whole that wanted Diablo in Smash.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I don't think Blizzard's opinion on the matter means jack (not that we've ever had a third-party decided by the third-party itself, in any case). They can't decide who Nintendo wants, and they can't argue that Warcraft's had the biggest cultural impact of any of their IPs. I can very much see it as a "Warcraft or nothing" scenario in this case.

Droodle

Smash Lord

While Lloyd certainly isn't the most popular Tales of character within the fanbase (that title is shared by the aforementioned Yuri Lowell and Leon Magnes, who are both banned from official popularity polls since they kept winning them), I would argue that he is the most popular Tales of character among non-fans of the Tales of series, thus making Lloyd a more universal pick. Tales of Symphonia's ability to break into the Western market and make a splash in 2004–when the West was much less open to the JRPG franchise–is notable. It even managed to get a sequel, which makes it one out of three games in the entire series to receive one (the other two are Destiny and Xillia). Furthermore, Tales of Symphonia is also the closest title in the series to Nintendo given how much Nintendo marketed the **** out of it (this is why Lloyd appeals to the core fanbase–they either played Symphonia on Gamecube or are attached to him because of his relation to Nintendo).

Oh no, I completely agree that Lloyd is ridiculously likely for Smash; but I'm just stating Lloyd isn't the face of Tales.

I would argue that there is no face of Tales outside of Yuri, at least within the fanbase. Tales overall is still very unknown, so Lloyd and Yuri aren't that recognizable outside the fanbase. Like if I show a bunch of random people pictures of Lloyd and Yuri, most people wouldn't even know the two.

I've went over why I think that Yuri and Lloyd are pretty much 50/50 for a Tales representative.

Lloyd:
- More history with Nintendo.
- Has a large fanbase wanting him in for Smash.
- Has appeared in previous Smash games before.
- Probably a little more recognizable in the West.
- Game has sold the most out of any Tales game, around 2.3 million I'm guessing.

Yuri:
- Way more popular within the Tales fandom.
- Tends to appear in most crossovers related to Tales.
- Game is available on the Switch, Symphonia is not.
- Definitely more recognizable in Japan.
- Game has not sold as much as Lloyd's (1.6 million), but his game is the most recent Tales games thanks to DE

I still hold the position that if Lloyd got in, it would 100% be because of his vastly larger Smash fanbase. But in general both characters have a good shot. I personally want Yuri, but I would be down with Lloyd.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
View attachment 246274

This is interesting collage made by a member here. I just wanted to share this. Top left is the guy who leaked Link Awakening Remake and Mario Maker 2 from what I heard. Microsoft no longer sees Nintendo as a direct competitor. Hell, they even want to put their service on Playstation if possible.

Quoting from Lara Croft support thread. So Halo isn't that much obscure in Japan. It looks like Sakurai is fond of Halo at least. The only missing piece is presence on Nintendo system, but we will see about that.
I keep saying if they want to end Season 1 with a bang, Crash Bandicoot or Master Chief is the way to go. Those are the real bombshell characters, not more JRPG stuff. Platform-exclusive characters the ones that really break the barriers (although Crash hasn't been that for a while now, he still has the perception of being a Sony mascot).

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Yea. Smash hasn't had MMORPG's represented yet.
I once had an idea for RuneScape Hero where Down-B changes armor from:
Base:
Default.PNG.png

Commonly known as Bob, this is a well-rounded hero but with no particular strengths or weaknesses.
Down B once switches to
Dragon_plate_armour_set_(lg)_equipped.png

Dragon Armor. Slow due to weight, but has the best defense to physical attacks and weapons like arrows but is extra weak to elemental attacks and other magic based moves. Powers up physical attacks, but weakens Magic attacks.

Down B again.
Black_dragonhide_armour_(male)_equipped.png

Black Dragonhide Armor. Little loss of speed due to being lightweight. Increases resistence to magic based attacks. Powers up ranged attacks such as arrows and throwing knives.

Down B once more.
UYiW5V9.png

Infinity armor. Lightest armor with no sacrifice to speed. Decreases the power of physical attacks, but increases power of magic attacks. Weak to ranged attacks like arrows, but not magic based attacks.

Basically, RuneScape hero would be Pokémon trainer but instead of changing moves, he changes which moves get powered up or weakened, plus he picks what he can defend best and worst against.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I keep saying if they want to end Season 1 with a bang, Crash Bandicoot or Master Chief is the way to go. Those are the real bombshell characters, not more JRPG stuff. Platform-exclusive characters the ones that really break the barriers (although Crash hasn't been that for a while now, he still has the perception of being a Sony mascot).
Smash character reveals never ended in a bang.

:ultness::ultgnw::ultwolf::ultduckhunt::ultbayonetta::ultincineroar:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Japanese smash speculators tend to bring up Lloyd because of the Mii costume and his popularity among the West.
But of course there are some people's genuine confusions "why Lloyd of all thing?" I mean, Tales of Symphonia is a good game, but no real reason to go for it before Vesperia or Abyss or Graces. At least that's what I see from the Tales of fandom. Symphonia is nothing more than just one of better game in the series.
When they talk about who they want for Tales of rep, other than Yuri, I see Cress a lot but I don't ever see his name here lol. I see Stahn and Asbel quite often too.
However, as much as I love to see Yuri playable, I do think Lloyd will be the Tales of rep anyway for two reasons.
1. The West, and 2. because Lolyd can use Demon Fang while Yuri can't.
Demon Fang is so iconic to the point it was depicted in trademark logo of the series. So Tales of rep without this arte is just feels off.
If we can ignore the West and just simply cater to the biggest part of the fandom, then I think Cress is more likely than Yuri.

Last edited:

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Touhou is nowhere near niche in Japan. I'm sorry but if you think Touhou is niche, you probably don't know Japan very well. Touhou has multiple fan conventions every year, and TONS of doujin content. For the longest time Touhou was #1 in terms of doujin content in Japan, and only RECENTLY has it been surpassed by FATE; and if you argue that FATE of all franchises is niche, oh boy do I have a lot to tell you.

And I never stated KOS-MOS was overly popular there, all I stated was KOS-MOS is much more popular in Japan compared to the US. The amount of Japan only figurines she has proves that.

For Reimu: Sakurai does like Bullet-hell, sure he may not like Touhou specifically but I doubt he hasn't heard of it. Someone else posted the evidence before me; also Touhou games are coming to the switch in the future.

For KOS-MOS: While Sakurai hasn't stated anything in regards to Xenosaga, he did say a ton of positive things about Monolith-Soft, and how much they've helped out Nintendo in their bigger games. Sakurai did state he loves Xenoblade 2, and KOS-MOS does have a rare but major cameo in there. Now you may say that it bodes well for Rex and Pyra's chances, but what if Monolith-Soft specifically asked for KOS-MOS in Smash? They clearly see her very fondly with her still being the "face" of Monolith-Soft over characters like Shulk, and Rex.
what is niche to you? The games have a very small fan base. I don’t think sakurai is going to be making a character in smash based on how many people make up a new manga based on the character that’s kind of nothing to do with the game. I’m still waiting for you to link me where he said he loves bullet hell games. I didn’t see any other links from anyone. Again I laid out the argument it has to be one of three option. You are relying on Reimu/touhou in particular to be important to sakurai. I’m asking you what evidence you have for that. More than saying he’s played a bullet hell game before. That doesn’t seem solid at all.

kosmos just does not have a lot of sales in Japan even across all Xenosaga games she’s been in. I see no reason why Nintendo would go through the rights with Namco Bandai to get kosmos. To rep a series that’s already kind of repped. When if they have to deal with Namco Bandai rights anyways they wouldn’t go for a more requested, more globally popular, more dual advertisement for Nintendo and Namco Bandai. Especially when we have new tales games coming out, dark souls on switch, recent popular tekken and soul caliber during ultimates creation, etc etc.

You guys can try and alter reality as much as you want but all Doujin combined are not equal to a single game franchise in some cases. They are niche and you are overestimating them in comparison to everything else.
What if I told you Nintendo went out of it's way to obtain a license for Touhou music so that Daigasso Band Brothers players could upload Touhou music for their content? Then Sold that fan-made music at Touhou's bi-annual convention?

Not really the point I was making.

I know, it's what I'm trying to convey. If they don't know a character, they won't go "**** this character" like those that speculate the roster tend to do.

I would say that sounds like a good deal for Nintendo, straight forward without much downside. Completely incomparable to making a dlc for smash when there are so many bigger better fan options, or even games and game creators that we know sakurai has heavily praised, OR collaboration companies that they would make a deal with for mutual advertisement for their strengthening relationship.

Secondly people definitely get pissed at the roster. Do you not remember hero at E3?

D

Deleted member

Hmm...everyone's pointing fingers at Lloyd then, huh. Looks like I'm one of the few still having hope for KOS-MOS to say the least

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Lloyd has the most going for him, but it really could be anyone at this point.
I mean, who the **** saw Terry until Nintendo leaked it?

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
And people who get pissed at the roster for who's included are stupid. I'm not going to mince words with that statement.
I didn’t really ask your opinion, you guys were just acting like casuals don’t care. Hell yeah they do

PsychoJosh

First of all, I beg to differ, Bayonetta was an explosive reveal because they never thought a character from an M-rated action game would get in.

Second, even if those others were lackluster (except Game & Watch and Duck Hunt who are awesome) why do you assume it'll be the same here? They're trying to sell the full DLC passes. In order to sell DLC they gotta floor the gas on the final character.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Nah he doesn’t add whoever he wants. Let’s put it plain and simple for the whole world to see.

There are three reasons a character makes it into smash.

1) it’s a dear franchise/creator/character to sakurai.

2) it has massive fan request.

3) it’s advertisement for a game/character for Nintendo or a collaborating company with Nintendo which only generally happens because they want to advertise that series for the future.

All characters are essentially decided be these 3 criteria, then there are subdivisions in this criteria like does the company have a rep? And so forth.

Reimu isn’t massively fan requested, she doesn’t qualify there, there is no relation to Nintendo at all, and a big part of her popularity is just grass roots fan made stuff, there isn’t much reason for Nintendo to pick her on this criteria.

You are relying solely on the first option, to say maybe sakurai holds something dear about her series? Is there anything about her from sakurai? I asked for evidence that bullet hell is even one of his favorite genre and you ignored me. That isn’t even strong evidence that he likes touhou anyways. You guys are reaching hard.

Also you’re speaking to someone who probably knows more about Japanese culture than you. Touhou is still niche there. Kosmos isn’t popular there either.
Literally 3/4 of DLC weren’t heavily requested so what are you talking about

PsychoJosh

And people who get pissed at the roster for who's included are stupid. I'm not going to mince words with that statement.
And I'm not gonna mince words with mine. They're rightfully upset. A handful of these characters are garbage and should've never gotten in or returned.

I'm talking about Piranha Plant, Pichu, and Young Link. And Joker.

Sorry but first parties reps are unlikely, and you are also a minority here.
Unlikely according to who? Also, him being a minority shouldn't matter. Sakurai said in the Terry overview direct that a character being fun to play matters more than them being recognizable or current.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I didn’t really ask your opinion, you guys were just acting like casuals don’t care. Hell yeah they do
They really don't Casuals have all they'll ever need with Mario, Link and Pikachu. The only ones who I see truly upset are those that take roster speculation too far.

And I'm not gonna mince words with mine. They're rightfully upset. A handful of these characters are garbage and should've never gotten in or returned.

I'm talking about Piranha Plant, Pichu, and Young Link. And Joker.
lol

Plank08

Smash Lord
I’m Predicting Solaire/Dark Souls Rep in a week or 2 and FP2 Announcement with Doomslayer or Geno(or Master Chief) that’s my prediction

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Yea. Smash hasn't had MMORPG's represented yet.
I once had an idea for RuneScape Hero where Down-B changes armor from:
Base:
View attachment 246286
Commonly known as Bob, this is a well-rounded hero but with no particular strengths or weaknesses.
Down B once switches to
View attachment 246287
Dragon Armor. Slow due to weight, but has the best defense to physical attacks and weapons like arrows but is extra weak to elemental attacks and other magic based moves. Powers up physical attacks, but weakens Magic attacks.

Down B again.
View attachment 246289
Black Dragonhide Armor. Little loss of speed due to being lightweight. Increases resistence to magic based attacks. Powers up ranged attacks such as arrows and throwing knives.

Down B once more.
View attachment 246290
Infinity armor. Lightest armor with no sacrifice to speed. Decreases the power of physical attacks, but increases power of magic attacks. Weak to ranged attacks like arrows, but not magic based attacks.

Basically, RuneScape hero would be Pokémon trainer but instead of changing moves, he changes which moves get powered up or weakened, plus he picks what he can defend best and worst against.

As long as it features this handsome lad!

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Literally 3/4 of DLC weren’t heavily requested so what are you talking about
Did you even read my post man? God damn I said in plain english one way a character is chosen is from sakurai liking a character personally. I wrote 3 options and you ignored 2 of them.

They really don't Casuals have all they'll ever need with Mario, Link and Pikachu. The only ones who I see truly upset are those that take roster speculation too far.lol
I mean there’s different levels of casuals. There super casual gamers where they hardly touch a game. They’re not who we’re talking about. Most of those people who got pissed over DQ are pretty casual lukewarm smashers, probably aren’t great at the game, don’t know the importance or chance of certain characters etc. That’s why they don’t know or care about DQ.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Did you even read my post man? God damn I said in plain english one way a character is chosen is from sakurai liking a character personally. I wrote 3 options and you ignored 2 of them.

I mean there’s different levels of casuals. There super casual gamers where they hardly touch a game. They’re not who we’re talking about. Most of those people who got pissed over DQ are pretty casual lukewarm smashers, probably aren’t great at the game, don’t know the importance or chance of certain characters etc. That’s why they don’t know or care about DQ.
Yeah I saw the other 2, but I chose to talk about one, I thought you meant that all 3 of them need to apply to get a character in smash dlc, which is false

SKX31

Smash Master

It's for that reason I could see a reveal at the upcoming Chinese presentation. Yes, the chances are slim partly since we just got Terry. However, they have not shown off Smash there, at all. If they've shown off Odyssey, BOTW and Lets Go there it feels a little weird that they've been mum on Smash. They've not stated when the presentation will take place either, whether in November, December or even January. Terry's presentation just got a version with Chinese subtitles FTR.

Perfectly fertile ground for a surprise reveal if you ask me.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
With all the talk about KOS-MOS and Reimu, we all know Sakurai's gonna add Koopa Troopa as the 5th character anyway
You say it sarcastically, but I legitimately want Koopa Troopa to be a playable character :lol:
Maybe even get creative with it, taking some inspiration somewhat off the blue shell in Mario Kart.

SuperNintendoChalmers

Banned via Warnings
Yall give Banjo-Kazooie no credit. Ppl gotta understand: BK are NINTENDO CHARACTERS. BK's worlds are tied to DK's, Nintendo promo'd them like any other 1st party icon, they were designed to fit in w/ Mario and the crew. I dont think theres any 3rd/4th party characters *not in smash yet* that is/are as intertwined with Nintendo as BK.

To add to this:

Banjo-Kazooie promotional train website

Bear and bird were popular back in the day and the advertising and promotional aspects reflect that, in addition to the response to their romatic return via Smash. To some after Mario 64, a genre defining title with how beloved and successful the duology was. No mean feat to be trusted to move consoles and involved in those advertisements, alongside esteemed company to do so.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*whistles*

So umm...anything else?

I for one firmly believe that there won't be a Game Awards reveal this year, because people don't fall for the same tricks twice.

PsychoJosh

*whistles*

So umm...anything else?

I for one firmly believe that there won't be a Game Awards reveal this year, because people don't fall for the same tricks twice.
It's not meant to be a "trick", it's what everyone's expecting. They could just pull a Capcom and blueball us, but given that every game company takes the opportunity to advertise their upcoming games at the event it's unlikely there won't be anything.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It's for that reason I could see a reveal at the upcoming Chinese presentation. Yes, the chances are slim partly since we just got Terry. However, they have not shown off Smash there, at all. If they've shown off Odyssey, BOTW and Lets Go there it feels a little weird that they've been mum on Smash. They've not stated when the presentation will take place either, whether in November, December or even January. Terry's presentation just got a version with Chinese subtitles FTR.

Perfectly fertile ground for a surprise reveal if you ask me.
When's the Chinese presentation?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
*whistles*

So umm...anything else?

Why is revealing a character at the biggest game awards show of the year where every studio in gaming is vying for attention with not only the most awards but the best announcements so they can get a head start on the new year a trick? Pretty sure that's just common sense. You want people to buy your DLC? You want people to buy your next DLC? You want people to spend their money on your product? Then you want the most amount of people as possible to see your hand. And there's no better place to do this than the Game Awards. More so than even E3 at this point.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace

Bayonetta's reveal was definitely a bang. Her games haven't been that huge, but she's a huge character. She's probably top 10 all-time iconic female video game characters. Plus she was the "ballot winner".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why is revealing a character at the biggest game awards show of the year where every studio in gaming is vying for attention with not only the most awards but the best announcements so they can get a head start on the new year a trick? Pretty sure that's just common sense. You want people to buy your DLC? You want people to buy your next DLC? You want people to spend their money on your product? Then you want the most amount of people as possible to see your hand. And there's no better place to do this than the Game Awards. More so than even E3 at this point.
I see then. I'm kind of paranoid that at one point, the Game Awards will be nothing more than a second E3 without the Award Show essence. Sorry for the hot take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom