• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I see then. I'm kind of paranoid that at one point, the Game Awards will be nothing more than a second E3 without the Award Show essence. Sorry for the hot take.
It's been that for years.

Do you really think people would watch it if it wasn't for the reveals? The VGAs have been a travesty since day one.

D

Deleted member

It's been that for years.

Do you really think people would watch it if it wasn't for the reveals? The VGAs have been a travesty since day one.
Is that so, okay. I see where this is going.

Imo they're gonna reveal the first post-pass DLC hype character. Most likely around either Chief, Doom Slayer, Crash, or any hype-worthy reveal.

Plank08

Smash Lord
To add to this:

Banjo-Kazooie promotional train website

Bear and bird were popular back in the day and the advertising and promotional aspects reflect that, in addition to the response to their romatic return via Smash. To some after Mario 64, a genre defining title with how beloved and successful the duology was. No mean feat to be trusted to move consoles and involved in those advertisements, alongside esteemed company to do so.
Why can’t America be this awesome?

D

Deleted member

There's a patch coming soon...6.1.0. My gut says that there's probably gonna be an interesting datamine...or probably not.

D

Deleted member

Let's be honest here no one would be watching the TGA's if they didn't have major game reveals and trailers from big publishers.
I kinda see that. It was only this year that I ever got invested in the Game Awards (all thanks to Joker), so I'll just let off the excuse of being new here.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
It's worth noting that 6.1.0 is 6.1.0 and not 6.0.1. That means it probably adds something and isn't just fixes.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
There's a patch coming soon...6.1.0. My gut says that there's probably gonna be an interesting datamine...or probably not.
The patch is most likely to fix the bug where the ICs can brick your Switch when Terry uses Buster Wolf on them.

I wouldn't expect too much.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The patch is most likely to fix the bug where the ICs can brick your Switch when Terry uses Buster Wolf on them.

I'm just gonna take this opportunity to correct this blatant misinformation. This can NOT brick your Switch. It simply softlocks. I'm so sick of this verifiable nonsense being spread. It's not true. Stop spreading it. As a Switch modder who did brick their Switch before (but managed to fix it), I'm confident no glitch of that nature can do the required writes to the NAND to pull that off. The worst a Smash Ultimate glitch could be capable of doing is corrupting the save data. Also, if this update is just fixes it would be 6.0.1, not 6.1.0, if Ultimate's version history is anything to go by.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Unlikely according to who? Also, him being a minority shouldn't matter. Sakurai said in the Terry overview direct that a character being fun to play matters more than them being recognizable or current.
Again, that statement doesn’t mean that relevancy doesn’t matter. There’s a reason why Takamaru wasn’t picked, there’s a reason why Incineroar was picked over Blaziken, there’s a reason why Corrin was picked at all, but there are also reasons why we got K Rool and Simon. The situations differ for every character, but it is not a blanket rule and shouldn’t be used to justify genuinely obscure characters.

Vierloir

Smash Rookie
All this "literal who" argument makes my head hurt when it just gets brought up over and over again even though that didn't stop the previous characters didn't it? It won't stop anyone beyond the pass either, Sakurai will put anyone in he likes even if it's from a game unknown to a certain group of people, or just outright came from a respective popular franchise, and whoever would that be will inevitably bring both thankful and butthurted fans.

You guys can try and alter reality as much as you want but all Doujin combined are not equal to a single game franchise in some cases. They are niche and you are overestimating them in comparison to everything else.
I think even that is overstating things though. Touhou is not a "big thing" in Japan. It's not Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter or Dynasty Warriors. It's popular...for an indie franchise, in Japan.
Honestly not surprised anymore when everyone tends to underestimate touhou as if it's just what undertale was to the west before it was localized to japan.

Touhou is obscure to the west? I can understand that, nobody really speaks vocally about the franchise outside of their cult circle anyways.

But touhou being niche IN japan? If the series being the literal face of the japanese indie scene, and having 2 annual conventions (1 of which entirely focuses on touhou as a whole, the other being part as one of the major franchises in the event) isn't considered "big enough" in Japan then I don't know what is.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
All this "literal who" argument makes my head hurt when it just gets brought up over and over again even though that didn't stop the previous characters didn't it? It won't stop anyone beyond the pass either, Sakurai will put anyone in he likes even if it's from a game unknown to a certain group of people, or just outright came from a respective popular franchise, and whoever would that be will inevitably bring both thankful and butthurted fans.

Honestly not surprised anymore when everyone tends to underestimate touhou as if it's just what undertale was to the west before it was localized to japan.

Touhou is obscure to the west? I can understand that, nobody really speaks vocally about the franchise outside of their cult circle anyways.

But touhou being niche IN japan? If the series being the literal face of the japanese indie scene, and having 2 annual conventions (1 of which entirely focuses on touhou as a whole, the other being part as one of the major franchises in the event) isn't considered "big enough" in Japan then I don't know what is.
Being indie inherently means that it isn’t mainstream though, right? If Western indies can’t get in like Shovel Knight and Shantae, who were rallied for more than Reimu despite being relatively niche in comparison to the wider sphere of gaming, I can’t see Reimu possibly getting in as more than a mii costume, especially due to her obscurity outside of Japan.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I think what it boils down to are two things.
1. Whether a character is from a video game or not.
2. Whether the character makes a fun fighter.
It's really not as complicated as y'all make it out to be, which is why you all get so blindsided when a "who" comes in.

Vierloir

Smash Rookie
Being indie inherently means that it isn’t mainstream though, right? If Western indies can’t get in like Shovel Knight and Shantae, who were rallied for more than Reimu despite being relatively niche in comparison to the wider sphere of gaming, I can’t see Reimu possibly getting in as more than a mii costume, especially due to her obscurity outside of Japan.
I wasn't stating her importance to be included in smash, I don't care whether she doesn't get in. I was pointing out how others underestimates her iconic nature to the Japanese fanbase.

As for shovel knight and shantae, while popular as an indie game they may be, their franchise lack legacy to have an inclusion as their popularity only skyrocketed post-modern generation in the gaming industry. If Sakurai liked them more apart from just the vocal west fanbase requesting them heavily then they may have a chance but I guess it was too late for that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just like Smash 4, we stopped finding info in datamines when they realized people found it in the game so nope.

Actually, ESAM thinks it's a balance patch judging by Ultimate's consistent patch sizes

D

Deleted member

I think what it boils down to are two things.
1. Whether a character is from a video game or not.
2. Whether the character makes a fun fighter.
It's really not as complicated as y'all make it out to be, which is why you all get so blindsided when a "who" comes in.
Pretty much. They (including me) are all concerned with getting their favorites in that their willing to dismiss what others want. It's pretty bad if you think about it,

If we get a Blizzard character it had better be the Lich King.

Take a gander at this ****ing bad ass.
Literally my most wanted left-field pick that'll never happen. I'm such a Warcraft fanboy. I'd go nuts for Thrall or Illidan too.

In a dreamworld we'd get Arthas and Thrall. An Orc and a Human. As a nod to the original game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Literally my most wanted left-field pick that'll never happen. I'm such a Warcraft fanboy. I'd go nuts for Thrall or Illidan too.

In a dreamworld we'd get Arthas and Thrall. An Orc and a Human. As a nod to the original game.
They'd pretty much work as Echo Fighters...though from what I've heard Orcs and Humans have different styles, so...I think my assumption is quite blurry. Pardon me, I'm not the biggest WoW fangirl but I'd like to know your opinion on this, since you're a fan.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Pretty much. They (including me) are all concerned with getting their favorites in that their willing to dismiss what others want. It's pretty bad if you think about it,
Honestly, while there are fighters I'd love to see, I just enjoy seeing a new fighter. Doesn't matter too much who it is, it's just a great time.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
They'd pretty much work as Echo Fighters...though from what I've heard Orcs and Humans have different styles, so...I think my assumption is quite blurry. Pardon me, I'm not the biggest WoW fangirl but I'd like to know your opinion on this, since you're a fan.
. . .They really wouldn't work as Echo Fighters. I'll admit that I only ever played Warcraft 3, but even there, Arthas' and Thrall's abilities are vastly different. They don't even use the same weapon.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Maybe the 6.1.0 update is going to include functionality for the new amiibo that release this week?
Speaking of, anyone got any idea when the final base roster amiibo are coming? That may clue us in to when the last FP character is coming.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, while there are fighters I'd love to see, I just enjoy seeing a new fighter. Doesn't matter too much who it is, it's just a great time.
Yeah, well, I'm just a woman who takes stuff like gender too seriously.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I wasn't stating her importance to be included in smash, I don't care whether she doesn't get in. I was pointing out how others underestimates her iconic nature to the Japanese fanbase.

As for shovel knight and shantae, while popular as an indie game they may be, their franchise lack legacy to have an inclusion as their popularity only skyrocketed post-modern generation in the gaming industry. If Sakurai liked them more apart from just the vocal west fanbase requesting them heavily then they may have a chance but I guess it was too late for that.
I think the really significant difference between Touhou and Shantae/Shovel Knight, aside from legacy, is that Touhou is Japanese. Since Smash is out to promote fellow Japanese franchises, that gives Reimu a significant advantage based on just her origin.

PsychoJosh

If we get any Blizzard character it should be Jim Raynor. Starcraft 64 was a thing after all, and besides I prefer Terran sci-fi weaponry to medieval fantasy stuff, especially western medieval fantasy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the really significant difference between Touhou and Shantae/Shovel Knight, aside from legacy, is that Touhou is Japanese. Since Smash is out to promote fellow Japanese franchises, that gives Reimu a significant advantage based on just her origin.
Pretty much. While we got indie reps getting minimum representation despite not being in the main roster, that doesn't mean that Japanese ones don't have a chance.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
As far as Blizzard characters are concerned I'm still on team Diablo. I'm a much bigger fan of Warcraft, but I don't think its characters lend themselves well to Smash, so much of their appeal lie in the story and writing, and the characters that shine the most in Smash are the ones who have a very strong surface level personality. Diablo would work very well, although I'm pretty sure he's nowhere near even being a candidate.

D

Deleted member

As far as Blizzard characters are concerned I'm still on team Diablo. I'm a much bigger fan of Warcraft, but I don't think its characters lend themselves well to Smash, so much of their appeal lie in the story and writing, and the characters that shine the most in Smash are the ones who have a very strong surface level personality. Diablo would work very well, although I'm pretty sure he's nowhere near even being a candidate.
Diablo is pretty much a blind pick that's only possible if Sakurai works his magic. I mean, you do know the ****storm it caused this ye-

Diablo 4 is looking sick.

I'll forgive them for that. Just...I don't forget what they did with Blizzcon last year, and that phones thing. One of the biggest blunders of gaming announcements period.

Yeah they would definitely not be echos. Thrall is a Shaman and Arthas is a Death Knight/ The Lich King. Vastly different abilities.

A Shaman in Warcraft is someone who controls the elements of Earth, Water, Fire, Air and Spirit. If you've seen Avatar they're kinda like that. They can also summon elementals to aid them.

A Death Knight uses death, frost and blood magic. They're like necromancers in plate.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Maybe it's just the circles I hang with, but even outside of Japan Touhou seems pretty darn known. Maybe not to Know-Nothing Joe, but certainly to anyone invested enough to care for who gets into Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Touhou was obscure outside of Japan at one point, but it's much closer to niche these days. The constant English releases of romhacks/fangames made it that much easier for it to make a splash out there.

It'd be awesome to see Reimu in Smash. It'd be a pretty cool option for our first Indie choice.

Albeit, Fate would be another cool Indie choice for a series to get a character from(Artoria's my personal pick. Though I do like Mordred more personality-wise, Artoria's pretty much the face of the franchise). If Steve was still Indie, I'd say him too, but he'd be a nice Microsoft pick as well. Along with Fulgore and Master Chief overall. We already got one so far(Banjo-Kazooie). Hopefully we'll get other Microsoft content as is. Surprisingly no Spirits or Mii costumes in relation. Not even B-K Costumes, oddly enough.

SKX31

Smash Master
If we get any Blizzard character it should be Jim Raynor. Starcraft 64 was a thing after all, and besides I prefer Terran sci-fi weaponry to medieval fantasy stuff, especially western medieval fantasy.
If we're going StarCraft I'd also like Raynor, but prefer Zeratul or Kerrigan. Zeratul because of his unique status as a Dark Templar, and Kerrigan would be a unique woman as a heavyweight grappler / terrain control character. If not Zerg rushes too.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
(Sigh)... this whole conversation about "niche vs mainstream" and "ignorant westerners" is exactly why I wanted the Mii leak to last a bit longer. Oh well.

At this point I just want to know how season 2 will go down. Especially since Sora and a LoL rep have good chances imo.

PsychoJosh

Honestly I can see why people always debate these things. East vs. west, niche vs popular, irrelevant vs current, etc. It's because in truth all these character choices just come down to whatever Sakurai's puckish whims tell him to add, and we all desperately wish there was a more recognizable pattern and control to it.

I lament a lot of Sakurai's choices, but honestly who among us can't sympathize? If I was in charge of Smash I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing. Just pick who I like, pick who I think would be cool, throw a bone every now and again to the fanboys of series I'm not particularly interested in. But sadly I'm not and people don't get to see my genius vision for Smash on display. Oh well~

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
No, not when we can have Queen B*tch of the Universe of Blades appear as a Boxing Ring title.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom