• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular opinion: Waluigi shouldn't make it as a fighter.

1. The memes were funny at first, then they were just annoying (and we would keep getting more annoying memes if he were to be announced)
2. Sakurai himself is against it
3. He doesn't sound fun at all because it would basically be his Assist Trophy with a Final Smash (although he is a cool character, I just don't think playing as him would be fun)
4. He doesn't even have his own game/game where he plays a crucial role
5. He wasn't really a popular request until the memes
6. If he was DLC, what music/stage could they even add?
(In the end I would still buy him simply because I'm going full 100% mode on this game, so I sound like a real f***in hypocrite)
Sakurai was against a number of characters for one reason or another. Some of them still became playable.
Does it really matter what they do in their home series? The characters are here for Smash. They are not here for a Mario Party game or basketball. Example: Piranha Plant doesn’t get to be playable before unlike other mooks such as Goombas, it’s just generally an obstacle to avoid but gets top billing playable gold medal status in Smash. As for a stage, add a Mario Kart stage like that circuit or Rainbow Road.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Another unpopular opinion. I despise. People portraying characters with blades as....' just another typical anime swordsman' as well as the REALLY unneeded hate for Fire Emblem characters. People have absolutely no problem with Link yet every other sword character is hated to oblivion, and Mario is SUPPOSED to be privileged to have every single ****king character in the Mario series to be a fighter because it's the face of Nintendo. I get it. But saying FE has too many characters bloating the roster when they have 7 fighters and Mario got just about almost every main character in the series........it infuriates me. Mario doesn't deserve hate, far from it, but neither does Fire Emblem...like my god. Funny thing is, should a Three Houses rep make into Smash at some point in the future, people'll just complain and complain and complain because it's 'just another Fire Emblem character' like WHY is it such a big deal? Even the more unique characters :ultcorrin:THIS guy, for example, gets more hate than ANYONE on the franchise, so people'll just complain and complain no matter what character it is

I went on a tangent, it's a topic like this that just...infuriates me to no end. But what can you do?

People shouldn't generalize but at the same time in terms of roster representation it's getting put on the same level as the big three despite not being a household name at all while other series get neglected.

And even though I hated Corrin's inclusion it bothers me that male Corrin gets all the hate while female Corrin is treated like a queen by everyone.

On the issue of Waluigi's stage, Waluigi Pinball would be a fantastic choice full of color, personality, and great music! What's not to love?

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
*Of all the Assist Trophies, I’d want Knuckles to be upgraded to a playable fighter. I see people talk about which Assist Trophies they’d like to see playable, but I rarely see Knuckles mentioned. He’s one of my favorite video game characters, and he’s different enough from Sonic to make it seem justified to me. There are other characters like Skull Kid and Ashley that I also would love to see as playable fighters, but Knuckles ranks much higher than the rest to me personally.
I'd take him (or Eggman or Amy) as the next Sonic rep, but I stand by my statement that Knuckles is and will always be the coolest Sonic character period. Also, my boy could turn Super Saiyan Rosé decades before it was a thing (Hyper Knuckles).

hyper_knuckles_by_kuroispeedster55_dbf2t1u-pre.png

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Hot Take: Dixie Kong deserves to get into Smash more than any other Nintendo character not in the game.

ze9

Smash Ace
Hot Take: Dixie Kong deserves to get into Smash more than any other Nintendo character not in the game.
I look at this post and I only see the truth.

Yeah Fire Emblem has too many characters, that can't really be argued. Or other series have too few, if you prefer. But still.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I am wholly on the Knuckles train. He's tied with Eggman as my favorite Sonic character and he and Alucard would be the first assist trophies I'd promote hands down.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I look at this post and I only see the truth.

Yeah Fire Emblem has too many characters, that can't really be argued. Or other series bave too few, if you prefer. But still.
It absolutely can be argued though, and has been.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You can argue a lot of things, it wouldn't make them false.
Likewise, you can't say that you're objectively correct on a subjective topic.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Sgt. Cortez from the TimeSplitters series. Nintendo has no reason to ask for this character considering that he's from a pretty obscure franchise that has a cult following. I'd be so happy to see Sgt. Cortez' entrance be to come out from a time portal and have Ice Station play in the background of the Space Station over looking the time portal.

What better way to get THQ Nordic into the spot light by giving them a character in Smash Bros? I think they're on their way to deserving their time after doing their best to revive dead franchises like Destroy all Humans.

It's time to split!
View attachment 240757

Oh unpopular opinions about character speculation? Am I too late? Yes? But can I still try though? No? Well too bad, here I go!

Unpopular opinion:
1. Reimu should not be a fighter in Smash Ultimate
2. All Indie characters should only be represented with a Mii costume. Playable characters should be saved for big name companies like Sega, Capcom, Namco, SNK, Konami, Square Enix, Microsoft, Bethesda, etc.
3. Terry's inclusion was more hype for me than the Sans Mii costume and I think Terry is a completely different character to Ken.
4. Steve would not make a great fighter for Smash Ultimate and I don't think he'll make it for DLC. I could make a list of things why I don't think Steve is possible in Smash Bros but that's for another time.
5. I think having Echo fighters in DLC would be a bad idea and for the record, I dislike echo fighters greatly (Except Ken) and think the amount of time spent on all of them together could have made one whole character.
6. DLC should only include third party characters while first party characters should be saved for the next game.
7. Ninten does not need to be a character. He is Ness with his baseball cap turned the other way.
3. ...and I think Terry is a completely different character to Ken.
The fact that this STILL is an unpopular opinion is so sad.

The only Nintendo character I think is a bigger omission than Dixie is Toad. I know a lot of people really don't want him for whatever reason, but the guy's one of Nintendo's most recognizable characters, period. Probably more than 90% of the roster we do have.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
The only Nintendo character I think is a bigger omission than Dixie is Toad. I know a lot of people really don't want him for whatever reason, but the guy's one of Nintendo's most recognizable characters, period. Probably more than 90% of the roster we do have.
this is fair. have you seen this? gets your imagination going about what a moveset could be

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I can agree on Waluigi never having a chance in Smash Bros, but mostly because I feel like there are much better options to go with. Meanwhile Waluigi is only memed on and not many people legitimately want him.

Cue 50 quote replies of "I want Waluigi"

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Which Nintendo character deserves a spot over Dixie? Im all ears
Isaac. For a series that's done as well and as much as Golden Sun has for the GBA it's shocking he hasn't been added yet. Maybe Krystal since Star Fox hasn't gotten a new character since Wolf and hasn't gotten a completely new moveset since 64. Takamaru for being one of the last NES Nintendo stars to not make it. But deserving is pretty subjective so your going to get a lot of replies that you're not a big fan of

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can agree on Waluigi never having a chance in Smash Bros, but mostly because I feel like there are much better options to go with. Meanwhile Waluigi is only memed on and not many people legitimately want him.

Literally the same thing was said about Sans and yet look at the reaction his Mii costume garnered.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh, speaking of Sonic characters, here's my hot take: Blaze the Cat would honestly be pretty cool, ngl.

I am wholly on the Knuckles train.
Here you come, rougher than the rest of them Knuckles, the best of them, tougher than leather Knuckles. . .

That is to say, while I also think Knuckles would be neat (even if he wouldn't be my most wanted Sonic rep), there's no way I'd ever be able to seperate him from all the memes, especialyl the Siivagunner version of his theme song

"I want Waluigi" #1

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Except for the fact that Undertale has a huge following and have been wanting a character in Smash for a while? Doesn't even compare.
There's been a strong Waluigi for Smash following since Brawl, and once Rosalina got in (showing that less major Mario characters can be viable) support only grew from there.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Unpopular opinions:

While they would definitely be the character I’d replace with another if I had to, I love Piranha Plant’s inclusion even if I would’ve personally put a Goomba instead (or another character though from Sakurai’s point of view it was gonna be an enemy/mook or something anyway).

(?) Hating an entire fanbase based on the minority is stupid, else we’d all be hating the Smash fanbase and we wouldn’t be here. Nearly everything attracts crazy people, immature people, gross people, and weirdos. They’re still people with opinions, don’t base literally everyone off of them (I feel this is actually a popular opinion but I never know around here). Even if it was true that a fanbase's majority is bad, that gives you no right to bash polite people for liking that specific game. "Cringe" culture was stupid and y'all who do this are actually much more "cringe" 'cause at least some of these bad eggs mind their own business, and the good fans don't need that crap.

“Deserving” is a bad argument since it’s a videogame and no one cares about that. People can want whoever they want. What you’re really trying to argue is how you somehow deserve your favorite character more than other people deserve theirs. Sure you have your big icons that make sense, but others can still get in + make sense as well (+ Sakurai and Nintendo may have just wanted them) and we don’t need selfish jerks shoving stuff down others’ throats.

Just because a character has a lot of memes doesn’t mean no one legitimately wants them. Even if someone likes a character because of memes, their reason for wanting them is no less legitimate than yours. They at least find the character enjoyable like you find your favorite characters enjoyable. There’s still a lot of fans who like a character for far more than funny memes and it’s unfair to leave them out. There are characters in Smash that got a lot of memes before their inclusion and there are some like Captain Falcon who got memes because of Smash and a lot of people probably wouldn’t have known them otherwise.

I can, if I am. Which I am.
You can’t be factually correct regarding opinions my dude.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Potentially unpopular opinion: Sora has merits and potential, but I really don't want Disney involved in Smash.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I think Dixie is the most deserving character, because Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble alone has sold more than the entire Kid Icarus franchise, and if Kid Icarus is significant enough to warrant 2 fighters and an echo fighter, then Dixie Kong should at least get included as a semi clone gosh darn it.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Also, are we seriously throwing around the term "deserves" unironically?

C'mon guys, we're better than this

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
There's been a strong Waluigi for Smash following since Brawl, and once Rosalina got in (showing that less major Mario characters can be viable) support only grew from there.
Rosalina is less major? Despite being a big part of the Galaxy games, her appearances in spinoffs, meanwhile Waluigi is only in spinoffs? Okay then.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So, how many people here think that all of the placeholder slots could end up filled?

I'm trying to not get my hopes up, but it's a possibility...
I doubt it.

Mostly because of the obvious fact that that's a LOT of characters to put in, but also due to the fact that the slots for DLC characters isn't even consistent with the slots for World of Light, so obviously they're not really planning this 14-12 characters into the future.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Rosalina is less major? Despite being a big part of the Galaxy games, her appearances in spinoffs, meanwhile Waluigi is only in spinoffs? Okay then.
At the time of her inclusion, she only had Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, and a cameo in Galaxy 2. Mario Kart 8, 3D World, and any other game after those three had no impact on her inclusion given she was decided in 2012.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Also, are we seriously throwing around the word "deserves" unironically?

C'mon guys, we're better than this
Can everyone chill tf out? I'm trying to create discussion (which obviously worked), i dont care about your opinions regarding semantics and vocabulary.

give me your input on smash bros, not my phrasing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom