• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Considering the pass started with a pipe dream in Joker, for it to end with my other pipe dream in 2B would destroy me. I don't even know what I'd do. I already got Joker and Terry, I'd just melt into a puddle at that point.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
New to the Smashboards, time to join in on the discussion! I really do think people are underestimating Doom Slayer's potential to end the Fighters Pass. I have a lot on my Charlie Day conspiracy board for this one (some of which has been compiled from conversation in the Hell's Gate thread):
  • Nintendo and Bethesda are on INCREDIBLY good terms, and Sakurai has highlighted their contributions to the industry in past publications/press.
  • The majority of the Doom games have made their way onto Switch.
  • Slayers Club is giving out custom-made Doom 3 Switches.
  • Pete Hines is one of the only third-party studio representatives to partake in Nintendo-based promotions to the degree that he has in recent history (September Direct, Nintendo Power Podcast, etc.).
  • I've seen some talk about "Diversity Theory," and I do think that could hold some merit. If the goal is to sell the entire set as a package through the Pass, the current set includes a summoner, a swordsman/magic user, a platformer/mixed attacker, and a traditional fighter. That lost slot is BEGGING for a weapons-based/gunner character to offer the widest variety of characters/fighting styles to customers.
  • Terry is being released in November, during which we'll see the release of Doom Eternal. If they follow suit with their DLC announcement pattern, it's entirely possible that we get a Smash Direct in November that showcases Terry and announces our next fighter. The timing just SCREAMS Slayer. If they hold out, the VGAs are just around the corner, and Doom Eternal will no doubt have a presence there.
  • Doom Slayer BLEEDS hype and would generate enormous buzz in the US and EU, and would be the perfect "Big Gun" to close out something like the Fighters Pass (can you imagine Rip and Tear swelling during a reveal trailer? can you IMAGINE the ENERGY behind that introduction?). FPS games aren't big in Japan, but much in the same way that US fans warmed up to characters more popular in Japan (Melee/Brawl-era Fire Emblem characters, Joker, Hero, etc.), I think Doom Slayer could work its way into the Japanese smash community as a welcome addition because of the content he would bring. Speaking of which . . .
  • Sakurai is big on music, and while this is a weaker point to make, the Doom series' music is a character in its own right, and would make for a valuable addition to the game. Bethesda has shown no sign that they would be as stingy with their music as Square-Enix, and given their working relationship, I think Sakurai would welcome a newcomer/franchise that he could include with a lot of music to better justify the pricepoint. ****, if we only got two songs like we did with Cloud, but they were Rip and Tear, and BFG Division? Just those two would be worth the cost of the entire pass.

I don't mean to suggest that there isn't enough Doom Slayer discussion here, because a lot of people suspect he could make it into Pass 2 (or 3), but the stars (and Mars) just seem to be in the perfect position for Doom to round out the fighter pass (or at the very least, be one of the additional fighters planned to follow the fighters pass).
Mostly depends on how popular/known Doom and Doomslayer is in Japan..I mean, characters in Smash can be less popular in Japan, but most, especially DLC, should at least be marketable in Japan.
Right now if we get any first party character, in the base game it would be Rex (Assuming spirits becoming DLC characters is on table)

Sakurai sounded like he wanted to included Rex, but due to the development of both Ultimate and Xenoblade 2 both beginning development in 2015, he couldn't included in the base roster and Nintendo and him decided to make the fighters pass third party focus. Even going as far as to make him a Mii costume if you bought the Fighters Pass, include tracks from Xenoblade 2, Spirits of the party members, and included a Nia Mii costume. Xenoblade is also celebrating its 10th anniversary next year, so that might help Rex's chances become a DLC fighter. To top it all off we don't have a fighter from the Switch era yet and considering Sakurai stated he added Corrin to represent a more recent game, there is a good chance he would like to at least include 1 Nintendo character from the Switch era.
Well, to be fair, Rex and Pyra have Spirits in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate..but Rex & Pyra as a single unit do not..so it could still work.
Why do the people who want Rex want Rex?
Simple really, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is one of my favorite games on the Switch and in general and I love Pyra (however, Pyra needs Rex to function at full capacity, so it has to be Rex & Pyra)
I assume people who want Rex like him. That doesn't help me understand.

Other characters can rep Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and other characters can have a team mechanic. Do you support him because he's the most likely of those characters that fulfill those criteria?
Its, once again, quite simple...Super Smash Bros. always has the main character of a series/game get onto the roster before any secondary characters..like, would I adore Nia or Morag, absolutely, but there is no way Sakurai would add them without Rex & Pyra already being there.
Is liking him not reason enough to support him?

Mechanically, he is the only character in the game capable of using any kind of BLADE. So he could potentially bring not only his partner Pyra but others like Mythra and even Nia with him.

Pretty much RPG costumes and Fighting game costumes aside from X. We could very well be receiving another RPG character lol.
If Rex could do a Pokémon Trainer-style Blade Swap Mechanic with Pyra, Mythra, and Nia (I love Nia..my fav)
Only problem is that Nia would need to be censored I'm sure.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Considering the pass started with a pipe dream on Joker, for it to end with my other pipe dream in 2B would destroy me. I don't even know what I'd do. I already got Joker and Terry, I'd just melt into a puddle at that point.
When I learned that the original Nier had a cancelled PSVita game, my first thought was that it'd be perfect for the Eshop. But I digress... Joker was also a pipe dream of mine, and despite being an SNK fan, a rep from them didn't even cross my mind because of how impossible it seemed. If he puts 2B in this pass, I think I'll legitimately faint at the reveal, haha. At the very least, I'd finally have a main.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I founded this image off of the Saber Support thread and honestly, as such I would honestly take it with a grain of salt mainly as I believe this could all be fake data for the results and main that I couldn't locate the original 2ch for concrete proof. I just wanted to see what you think about this image and if you can add anything about this as well so take it as you will.
Then it's most likely very, very fake.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think people overestimate how much Sakurai likes to "surprise" people. That isn't to say he doesn't pick surprising characters, but he isn't some Willy Wonka archetype looking to constantly screw with people. It's very possible the last character is "conventional" along the lines of Ken and Incineroar.

For the purpose of a Fighters Pass, it makes sense to frontload with your biggest and most shocking reveals, since you want people to buy it as fast as possible. I can see fighter 5 being pretty lowkey in comparison, but it doesn't matter much now that we're getting more DLC.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
> Xenoblade 2 choices that aren’t Rex
> no mention of THE ZEKENATOR, CHAOTIC BRINGER OF CHAOS (TM)

Come on guyssss :c

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Okay, I'll do a full prediction:

Fighter Pass 1:

Challenger Pack #5: Doom Slayer (Doom)

Bonus Double Fighter Pack: Jill and Leon (Resident Evil)

Fighter Pass 2:

Challenger Pack #1: Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Challenger Pack #2: Heihachi (Tekken)
Challenger Pack #3: Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
Challenger Pack #4: Gordon (Half-Life)
Challenger Pack #5: Dante (Devil May Cry)

Yes, this list is biased. I have Heihachi instead of Crono and Master Chief though. It's hard to imagine getting another SE or SE related character, unfortunately. And I'm not actually sure if Nintendo is willing to put Master Chief in Smash like they were with Banjo & Kazooie. Maybe, maybe not. Gordon Freeman, however, is a darkhorse pick I'm willing to bet on!

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
As far as Xenoblade characters go, the only one I want is Elma.

I can't say I'm entirely confident in her chances though when Sakurai seems to have more interest in Rex/Pyra, and when I don't think there's going to be any XCX remaster or sequel in the foreseeable future since Monolith Soft already has the XC1 remaster on their hands (But maybe I'm underestimating how big Monolith Soft is and maybe they could tackle 2 games at once I dunno)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Don't you think it's wild how ****ing Gordon Freeman is on the table for Smash Bros. speculation?

Like, who'd have thought speculation would get to this point?

As far as Xenoblade characters go, the only one I want is Elma.

I can't say I'm entirely confident in her chances though when Sakurai seems to have more interest in Rex/Pyra, and when I don't think there's going to be any XCX remaster or sequel in the foreseeable future since Monolith Soft already has the XC1 remaster on their hands (But maybe I'm underestimating how big Monolith Soft is and maybe they could tackle 2 games at once I dunno)
If my knowledge is correct, Monolith Soft has four studios. One of them is dedicated to helping outside projects (think Zelda or Mario Kart). At least two of them are there to do original stuff. I'm not sure about the fourth. Right now we theoretically know about three projects: Zelda, Xenoblade definitive edition, and some new IP that's supposed to be a bit different from their usual stuff. The fourth could be working on anything, and somebody different could be working on a port of X. It could happen. Might have to wait for 2021 though.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Don't you think it's wild how ****ing Gordon Freeman is on the table for Smash Bros. speculation?

Nintendo gonna be like, "**** it! If you're not gonna make Half-life 3 we will!"

D

Deleted member

I'm scared, its like people are realizing there are many possible characters on the table.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I think people overestimate how much Sakurai likes to "surprise" people. That isn't to say he doesn't pick surprising characters, but he isn't some Willy Wonka archetype looking to constantly screw with people. It's very possible the last character is "conventional" along the lines of Ken and Incineroar.

For the purpose of a Fighters Pass, it makes sense to frontload with your biggest and most shocking reveals, since you want people to buy it as fast as possible. I can see fighter 5 being pretty lowkey in comparison, but it doesn't matter much now that we're getting more DLC.
I agree that it makes sense to frontload the reveals for the fighterpass, but who is considered a “conventional” character for DLC? I’m not trying to sound facetious, I’m genuinely curious since there it fills like there is a million different candidates nowadays with so many 3rd party possibilities.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Agree that it makes sense to frontload the reveals for the fighterpass, but who is considered a “conventional” character for DLC? I’m not trying to sound facetious, I’m genuinely curious since there it fills like there is a million different candidates nowadays with so many 3rd party possibilities.
I guess to me, Ryu Hayabusa is "conventional." He's from an unrepresented third party that has heavy ties to Nintendo, has history dating back to the NES, shows up in all of Koei-Tecmo's crossovers, etc. He's a pick that "makes sense" but won't cause meltdown-inducing internet hype.

cothero

Smash Lord
Call me delusional, but i think Gordon Freeman has a very (i mean EXTREMELY) small chance of really being added as a character in the fighter pass. His appearance on FFXV had me scratching my head. I know it was mostly because Valve worked on the PC port of the game and it was released via Steam, but even so, why?... Square was the last company on earth i expected to see working with Valve. Maybe they want us to remember that Half-Life isn't dead yet, even without any news from Valve itself for the last 12 years. Let's remember that, aside of FF, Gordon appeared in other games as well:

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...ordon-freeman-has-visited-over-the-years.aspx

I don't even need to tell the importance of Gordon Freeman and the Half-Life series in game industry as a whole, you all know very well. His inclusion would sound very strange, i know, but a appearance in a game as big as Smash Bros. could raise the character's morale and make him relevant again, until Half-Life 3 is finally released (hopefully i'll live long enough to see that). But what ultimately hurts his chances the most is the fact that Nintendo and Valve never had any kind of relationship in the past. Oh, well.

Maybe one day, Doc. Maybe one day.

2018223122714_1.jpg

Edit: As UberPyro64 UberPyro64 pointed out, Valve did worked with Nintendo in "Half-Life: Tactics", which was never released. Now that's interesting.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Finally after several days was able to come to a conclusion of the characters I want:

I am going with that we are getting 6 characters after the fighter pass but I will start with fighter 5 of the fighter pass. I have a few versions of this with hypothetical situations in terms of if Nintendo is getting any reps or if Assist trophies can be upgraded. For now I just picked several characters from third parties.

Fighter Pass #5: Jill Valentine or S.T.A.R.S crew- I feel like Jill will be chosen as she is somewhat the face of Resident Evil (can be argued). Personally, I think if they get some of her moves from MVC2, she could work really well in the smash bros style and I would love another female rep honestly. In general shes a cool character.

1. Lloyd Irving- I personally don't care for this character nor is it a want...but I know how many people actually want this son of a gun. I think he would be cool. I can't say much as I have never played the games nor gave a rats to try but from the knowledge I have on the character I think he would work well and it would make a lot of fans happy. Would rather get a Tekken rep or Klonoa but I made a sacrifice for an odd choice later.

2. Shantae- Uhh this is another one I can see happening that I personally do not want. Again with above, I know people want her. I've tried her games actually and personally I am not a fan, I can see her working though. She could have an interesting gimmick. My understanding is that she has a close connection with Nintendo so I think because I am a history buff, I would like her inclusion. Personally...I would rather get 2B or Morrigan (Wont happen at all but I can dream).

3. Sparkster- I know i'm going to get a lot of meh from this one. I think the character is amazing. I loved both games on the SNES and Sega. I do not care that this character was only in two games (not counting that crap one) but I think Sakurai could come up with a cool gimmick for Sparkster. It's a pipe dream honestly. It wont happen but I can dream. (Really I placed him here since we are not getting Goemon anymore clearly :urg:) Terry/Banjo, whom I wanted, gave me sort of hope that old folks can make it back in...even if they are not remembered well. Unfortunately for Sparkster, he has not had a game in years like banjo and he's not remembered well like Terry unless you are a close fan.

4. Geno or another Square- Yeahhhh I am a Geno fan, but I am not obsessed. What else can be said about Geno that has not been said? I think Geno could have a cool moveset, but I can also see him returning to Mii Costume with Music added. Sora would be interesting but KHIII ruined the series for me idk. Anyway, I have a personal history with the character and to have Geno come to smash would be a dream come true, but I am also content with a Mii Costume

5. Doom Slayer- This would be interesting to see how they work this character in. I think Doom has got a ton of love lately from Nintendo. I am interested since I speed run Doom II regularly in my free time during long trips etc (I travel a lot). I don't know what else to say about this one, because I personally cannot see it working at all but boy would I love it.

6. Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins)- oh boy, I love and hate this game so much. I think Arthur would be so darn cool, but idk. I am sure this one isnt happening (Amaterasu would be damn sweet so thats my alternative) I think Ghosts and Goblin has a good history on Nintendo consoles. I am not saying that's the only reason or thats makes him a shoo in, buuuuut it would be pretty cool!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my Ted Talk.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Call me delusional, but i think Gordon Freeman has a very (i mean EXTREMELY) small chance of being added as a character in the fighter pass. His appearance on FFXV had me scratching my head. I know it was mostly because Valve worked on the PC port of the game and it was released via Steam, but even so, why?... Square was the last company on earth i expected to see working with Valve. Maybe they want us to remember that Half-Life isn't dead yet, even without any news from Valve itself for the last 12 years. Let's remember that, aside of FF, Gordon appeared in other games as well:

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...ordon-freeman-has-visited-over-the-years.aspx

I don't even need to tell the importance of Gordon Freeman and the Half-Life series in game industry as a whole, you all know very well. His inclusion would sound very strange, i know, but a appearance in a game as big as Smash Bros. could raise the character's morale and make him relevant again, until Half-Life 3 is finally released (hopefully i'll live long enough to see that). But what ultimately hurts his chances the most is the fact that Nintendo and Valve never had any kind of relationship in the past. Oh, well.

View attachment 237793
I mean, they did try to get Valve to make a Half-Life game on Switch. It was going to be an RTS called "Half-Life: Tactics". It just didn't get very far in development before being canceled.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Imagine if they showed a trailer at the VGAs that featured Gordon Freeman... but it was for Smash and not Half-Life 3.

There'd be so much joy and salt all at the same time.

SKX31

Smash Master
Call me delusional, but i think Gordon Freeman has a very (i mean EXTREMELY) small chance of being added as a character in the fighter pass. His appearance on FFXV had me scratching my head. I know it was mostly because Valve worked on the PC port of the game and it was released via Steam, but even so, why?... Square was the last company on earth i expected to see working with Valve. Maybe they want us to remember that Half-Life isn't dead yet, even without any news from Valve itself for the last 12 years. Let's remember that, aside of FF, Gordon appeared in other games as well:

It's not surprising to me in the slightest - then again I'm the only MOBA player here it seems. At around the same time Square worked with Valve to release a Final Fantasy Type 0 HD package for Dota 2 as promotion for that game (Chocobo courier, loading screen image and a Moogle observer and sentry ward. Observer Wards watch over an area, sentry wards instead reveal invisible enemies etc.). Capcom's also included items into Dota 2 - an exclusive Amaterasu courier was released to promote Okami HD.

Holy ****! For real??... I didn't knew that! That's basically me right now:
While a lot of its details are - AFAIK - uncorroborated (so be careful about that), what can be said is that the game likely got to a certain point.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Woah, people are finally talking about Gordon Freeman and realizing his potential?
As the owner of Gordon thread this makes me happy.

Gordon has always been a dark horse pick in my eyes. While he's no front runner he's certainly notable enough to have a possible chance at being added. If Nintendo picks him it would be out of the sheer wtf factor and hype that would follow. Pretty much any Half-Life news is bound to break the internet after this long dormant period of no news about the series. Half-Life WITH Smash news is like double breaking the internet.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Hey bandwagon time! I already have all these in my signature, so I'm gonna elaborate on these so it doesn't come across as redundant.

Fighters Pass 1:
5. Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy -
If Ultimate really is looking to represent the best of Japanese gaming history, Resident Evil is a must at this point. It's the largest Japanese gaming franchise not in Smash, Capcom has been giving the series a ton of love as of late, and Nintendo has been promoting the Switch ports of RE games pretty well. It'd honestly round out the Fighters Pass pretty well alongside Hero and Terry in terms of representing historically significant Japanese gaming franchises

Fighters Pass 2:
1. Geno -
Would pretty much be the last long-time requested character that isn't an assist. The lack of a Mii costume and the announcement of more DLC makes me pretty confident in him
2. Sora - I'm pretty sure Sakurai is aware of the requests, so he could definitely be the huge hype pick if they wanted to drop a bombshell at E3 or something. Since Disney owns him instead of Square, I could see both him and Geno making it in to satisfy both fans. It also helps that unlike Hero, Sora and Geno have very little overlap in terms of abilities (not to say that Sora would be a Hero clone, but two magic-using sword users might've been seen as a bit much)
3. Travis Touchdown - Suda51 has been wanting this since Brawl, and I feel like now is a perfect time to do it now that Travis is back in the spotlight with Travis Strikes Again existing and No More Heroes 3 being on the horizon.
4. Steve - Now that Banjo's out of the way, there's no way in hell Sakurai is gonna overlook Minecraft. The game's fanbase is massive, and its resurgence as of late is even more of an incentive to pick him. They very well could've made him a Mii costume when Banjo dropped, but the fact that they didn't makes me suspect that they're saving it for later. Regardless of how you feel about the game, Minecraft is too much of a phenomenon to be ignored, and the moveset potential is basically limitless. Even as just a casual Minecraft player, I can't deny that Steve would make a ton of sense as the next Microsoft character
5. Crash - Let's be real, I doubt Sakurai would pass up the opportunity to have Mario, Sonic, and Crash Bandicoot in the same game. He's the last major 90's platforming mascot, so having him in the game would be kind of a big deal. It also helps that Crash is relevant again thanks to the remakes, so Activision is more likely to capitalize on their success by putting Crash in Smash. Plus, people have always joked about Ultimate being a better Playstation All-Stars than the actual Playstation All Stars, and adding Crash would basically solidify that

Fighters Pass 3:
1. Kiryu -
Maybe it's just because I absolutely ****ing love Yakuza, but Kiryu would make a ton of sense as a Joker-esque "unexpected" character that'd catch everyone off guard. Yakuza's finally starting to get some worldwide popularity, so capitalizing on that would be great
2. Lloyd Irving - He's the most requested Tales protag and Sakurai even said he'd be the best one to represent the series, so he's bound to get in sooner or later. I would've put him in FP2, but I had a hard time fitting him in since Travis and Steve seemed more distinctive from Sora than Lloyd was.
3. Frisk/Quote/Reimu/Shantae/insert indie rep of your choice here - With how big indies are to Nintendo, I'm almost certain one of them is gonna be coming to Smash sometime in the future. My personal choice is still Frisk because I'm hungry for more Undertale content in Smash, but I understand if the Sans Mii costume makes that difficult. Quote would probably be my second choice because of the influence Cave Story had on indie gaming. Reimu would also be a fun choice if only for the Touhou music, and while I'm not the biggest fan of Shantae, she'd at least make a lot of people really happy. Really, a hypothetical indie rep would be anyone's guess at this point
4. Professor Layton - I'm honestly surprised Level-5 hasn't had a character yet, but if they do get one, I'm pretty certain it'd be Layton. The series still seems to be going strong with the LMJ game and he had some pretty vocal support during Smash 4's ballot, so he's still on people's minds
5. 2B - Sakurai loves NieR: Automata, it's one of the most memorable games of this decade, and I'm almost certain it'd cause everyone to loose their ****. The only potential problem is that Nier/Drakengard has never been on a Nintendo system, but I doubt Sakurai cares about that if it means getting 2B in the game

cothero

Smash Lord
Woah, people are finally talking about Gordon Freeman and realizing his potential?
As the owner of Gordon thread this makes me happy.

Gordon has always been a dark horse pick in my eyes. While he's no front runner he's certainly notable enough to have a possible chance at being added. If Nintendo picks him it would be out of the sheer wtf factor and hype that would follow. Pretty much any Half-Life news is bound to break the internet after this long dormant period of no news about the series. Half-Life WITH Smash news is like double breaking the internet.
This. Sakurai also said that all the characters from the fighter pass were selected by Nintendo, but he ultimately decided if the character was realizable or not. As marketing material, it would be a smart move for Nintendo to put Gordon in Smash and he matches the "surprise character factor" Sakurai loves so much.

Let's be honest here: Terry's inclusion was awesome, but absolutely no one expected him. Sakurai might want to keep on that route, adding well known wanted characters along with unexpected ones.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I had no idea that Fate/stay Night started out as a video game...

Finally after several days was able to come to a conclusion of the characters I want:

I am going with that we are getting 6 characters after the fighter pass but I will start with fighter 5 of the fighter pass. I have a few versions of this with hypothetical situations in terms of if Nintendo is getting any reps or if Assist trophies can be upgraded. For now I just picked several characters from third parties.

Fighter Pass #5: Jill Valentine or S.T.A.R.S crew- I feel like Jill will be chosen as she is somewhat the face of Resident Evil (can be argued). Personally, I think if they get some of her moves from MVC2, she could work really well in the smash bros style and I would love another female rep honestly. In general shes a cool character.

1. Lloyd Irving- I personally don't care for this character nor is it a want...but I know how many people actually want this son of a gun. I think he would be cool. I can't say much as I have never played the games nor gave a rats to try but from the knowledge I have on the character I think he would work well and it would make a lot of fans happy. Would rather get a Tekken rep or Klonoa but I made a sacrifice for an odd choice later.

2. Shantae- Uhh this is another one I can see happening that I personally do not want. Again with above, I know people want her. I've tried her games actually and personally I am not a fan, I can see her working though. She could have an interesting gimmick. My understanding is that she has a close connection with Nintendo so I think because I am a history buff, I would like her inclusion. Personally...I would rather get 2B or Morrigan (Wont happen at all but I can dream).

3. Sparkster- I know i'm going to get a lot of meh from this one. I think the character is amazing. I loved both games on the SNES and Sega. I do not care that this character was only in two games (not counting that crap one) but I think Sakurai could come up with a cool gimmick for Sparkster. It's a pipe dream honestly. It wont happen but I can dream. (Really I placed him here since we are not getting Goemon anymore clearly :urg:) Terry/Banjo, whom I wanted, gave me sort of hope that old folks can make it back in...even if they are not remembered well. Unfortunately for Sparkster, he has not had a game in years like banjo and he's not remembered well like Terry unless you are a close fan.

4. Geno or another Square- Yeahhhh I am a Geno fan, but I am not obsessed. What else can be said about Geno that has not been said? I think Geno could have a cool moveset, but I can also see him returning to Mii Costume with Music added. Sora would be interesting but KHIII ruined the series for me idk. Anyway, I have a personal history with the character and to have Geno come to smash would be a dream come true, but I am also content with a Mii Costume

5. Doom Slayer- This would be interesting to see how they work this character in. I think Doom has got a ton of love lately from Nintendo. I am interested since I speed run Doom II regularly in my free time during long trips etc (I travel a lot). I don't know what else to say about this one, because I personally cannot see it working at all but boy would I love it.

6. Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins)- oh boy, I love and hate this game so much. I think Arthur would be so darn cool, but idk. I am sure this one isnt happening (Amaterasu would be damn sweet so thats my alternative) I think Ghosts and Goblin has a good history on Nintendo consoles. I am not saying that's the only reason or thats makes him a shoo in, buuuuut it would be pretty cool!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my Ted Talk.
5. Yeah!
1. Meh.
2. Yeah!
3. Meh.
4. Yeah!
5. Meh.
6. Hell yeah!!

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Okay. Why would Doomguy get in? Japan doesn't care about the series much, and he would be too violent unless he was heavily censored, in which case why even bother at that point? Also, why do so many people want even more Western characters? Don't we already have enough?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay. Why would Doomguy get in? Japan doesn't care about the series much, and he would be too violent unless he was heavily censored, in which case why even bother at that point? Also, why do so many people want even more Western characters? Don't we already have enough?
WE HAVE ENOUGH WESTERN CHARACTERS I cry as there's literally only 4 in an as of now, 79 character roster.

Also Ridley still looks violent so it's doable

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
WE HAVE ENOUGH WESTERN CHARACTERS I cry as there's literally only 4 in an as of now, 79 character roster.

Also Ridley still looks violent so it's doable
Gwen. I appreciate you. I hope you know that.

anyways all i want is sora you guys i hope he's in

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Why would Doomguy get in?
Because he's one of the oldest and most iconic characters in a huge genre of games that gets produced every single year.

Japan doesn't care about the series much, and he would be too violent unless he was heavily censored, in which case why even bother at that point?
Because there exists a world outside of Japan's likes that is worth appealing to and Doom relies more on shooting mechanics than it does on gore, which is purely an aesthetic decision that can clearly be omitted like it was for many other characters.

why do so many people want even more Western characters?
Because people like said Western characters and care more about the character then the location they originated from.

Don't we already have enough?
We have "enough" of everything, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to want more. "Don't we already have enough" applies to everything because ultimately it's a meaningless sentiment that does nothing to a conversation than imply that some unknowable quota has been met.

Honestly, it's fine to say you don't like a character then try to justify it with these half-baked questions.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'd like to know just how obscure Doom is in Japan. Is there some actual data we can look at?

I ask this because I want to compare it to some other potential candidates.

Last edited:

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Double Post

I'm more surprised by the fact that Master Chief is a realistic possibility at this point. Ten years ago, it would have been absolute blasphemy to ever consider him for Smash Bros, especially since Microsoft semi-rivaled Nintendo during that time. I'm sure we all remember those days, but thankfully, tiimes have changed. He's received a skin in a Minecraft Game for the Switch, and Microsoft's relationship with Nintendo has been better than ever before. We have Banjo, our first ever Microsoft rep in Smash too.

Gordon was never truly off the table, but Half-Life has been inactive for many years. Valve getting any of their games on the Switch would be truly monumental, and I can't wait to see the day when the PC Gaming giant will be represented in Smash.

I'd like to know just how obscure Doom is in Japan. Is there some actual data we can look at?

https://kotaku.com/poll-japans-favorite-first-person-shooters-and-third-1795534424

According to Kotaku, Doom ranks at 20 for the most popular FPS games in Japan as of 2017. Granted, it was only a poll of roughly 300 people. The general demographic in Japan has a tendency to avoid games that are ultra violent (including Mortal Kombat, hence why it was banned).

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
https://kotaku.com/poll-japans-favorite-first-person-shooters-and-third-1795534424

According to Kotaku, Doom ranks at 20 for the most popular FPS games in Japan as of 2017. Granted, it was only a poll of roughly 300 people. The general demographic in Japan has a tendency to avoid games that are ultra violent (including Mortal Kombat, hence why it was banned).
Yeah it'd be nice to get updated data, but I suppose the sample size was gonna be small since we all know Japan doesn't love FPS / third-person shooters as much as the rest of the world does.

As recent as it is I'm not surprised Overwatch topped the poll, though. Very colorful and approachable aesthetic, and no gore.

cothero

Smash Lord

Japanese people are such hypocrites. It's OK to a teenager to buy some hentai, but violent western games are not suited for their moral. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
"Ultra-Violence," "First Person Shooters," and "Western" are like

literally all things that would turn Japanese audiences off.
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Doom as a whole is relatively unknown over there.

Ornl

Smash Ace
This is a popularity comparison based on Google searches, although this isn't enough and the comparison criteria aren't always fair. Google is the most used search engine in the US, Europe and Japan (+90%), and is therefore mainly representative of searches on the web.
______
Abc
: third-party series represented by Fighters.
Abc: third-party series represented by Assist Trophees or Mii Costumes.
Abc: other series whose the original companies aren't already represented neither Western nor cross-media.
Abc: other series whose the original companies are already represented or Western or cross-media.
It is considered that the 3 cross-media series are Digimon, Tamagotchi and Yo-kai Watch.

______

In the World
Minecraft > Overwatch > Final Fantasy > Halo > Sonic / Resident Evil > Assassin's Creed > Pac-Man > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > Souls > UNDERTALE / Kingdom Hearts > DOOM > Metal Gear > Street Fighter > Megaman / Tomb Raider > Tekken > SimCity > Digimon > The King of Fighters > Tales of > Persona / Devil May Cry / Yo-kai Watch > Harvest Moon > Crash Bandicoot > Bomberman > Tamagotchi > Castlevania > Professor Layton > Rayman > Dead or Alive / Ace Attorney > Phantasy Star > Ninja Gaiden > Suikoden > Disgaea > Project Zero > Okami > Bayonetta > NieR > Puyo Puyo > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie > Virtua Fighter > No More Heroes / Momotaro Dentetsu > The Tower of Druaga > Ganbare Goemon / Shantae.

In Japan
Dragon Quest
> Monster Hunter > Yo-kai Watch > Minecraft > Final Fantasy > Tales of > Resident Evil > Metal Gear / Persona > Kingdom Hearts > Megaman / Tekken > Puyo Puyo > Overwatch > Tamagotchi > Ace Attorney > Devil May Cry > Phantasy Star > Street Fighter > Disgaea > Harvest Moon / Digimon > Project Zero > UNDERTALE > Suikoden > Assassin's Creed > NieR > The King of Fighters > SimCity > Bayonetta / Professor Layton > Sonic > Momotaro Dentetsu > Okami > Bomberman / Dead or Alive > Castlevania > Souls > Halo > Pac-Man > Tomb Raider > Virtua Fighter / Tower of Druaga / DOOM > Ninja Gaiden > Crash Bandicoot > Ganbare Goemon > No More Heroes > Shantae > Rayman > Shovel Knight > Katamari > Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Doom 2016 sold 6K in the first week in Japan

https://gematsu.com/2016/05/media-create-sales-51616-52216

To compare it to other niche series, Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash sold 56K, Hyperdimension Neptunia V2 sold 22K, Fate Extella sold a combined 140K and even Blazblue Cross Tag battle sold 11K even with it's disastrous pre-release DLC announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom