• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Great list, though I would add Crono and anyone else that's on my supports lists that's not on yours. Also, take out Mickey.
Mickey is here mostly as a wild idea, the idea being what if Sakurai add an non gaming character who will be his choice ? Answer Mickey.

The entire Metroid fandom is going to beat you to death if you have Adam ****ing Malkovich there so get rid of him
I'm taking the risk lol

Abade

Smash Apprentice
Not that I don't think it's a good point. But it's called 4th wall breaking.
Nia is juste reacting to that 4th wall breaking
TFW Nia is ripping off of Psycho Mantis.

SMH :glare::troll:

Last edited:

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Literally over half of these characters have near 0 chances of getting in.

Wart? Kamek? Literally any Kirby, Donkey Kong, Starfox, Earthbound, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, or flavor of the week Legend of Zelda character? Obscure Nintendo picks like Bubble Bobble, Mach Rider, Wonder Red and (as much as it hurts to say it) Ray MK and Chibi-Robo? Kratos? Sub-Zero? Captain Commando? Klonoa?

None of them are happening.
You will have to explain why some of these character can't be happening ?

I was going to comment on how paltry the first-party section looks without ATs, but then I noticed Ghirahim and Phosphora are there. So now I'm just confused.
Oops I forgot that Phosphora and Ghirahim are assist trophies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
This movie is pretty much the biggest counter argument to Disney being unwilling to work with other companies, it also featured Bowser and Zangief. I think Eggman might have been there too.
I'd argue there's a big difference in Disney wanting something from somebody else and somebody else wanting something from Disney. One puts Disney in the power position while the other does not. It's very likely that because Disney wanting Sonic in the movie is why Wreck it Ralph is in Sonic Racing.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The only thing o can see Disney really demanding is that Sakurai reference nightmare before Christmas in some capacity, because for some bizzare reason Kingdom hearts and nightmare before Christmas are always paired up together when kingdom hearts is put somewhere.

So Dante mii fighter outfit with Sora.

Last edited:

Bloxicon

Smash Rookie
I'm back again with a bunch of chracter that can be added, here see this as a possibility. The only character that is here a wild guess wild card is Mickey I don't know why but I feel that if a character can break the rules of no anime/cartoon character in Smash it's him because I see him as the Mario of the cartoon/anime world. Of course this list represent what I think the overall community wants.

Let's assume that all of these character can be added our actual roster will grow up to 39%, 38% if Sora and Mickey aren't in there. Also I welcome some help to narrow down this roster and pin point the true possible contestant that will be added by Sakurai.

(P.S. Couldn't find good looking smashified icons for Vaati, Panther, Porky, Travis, Prince, Bubble Bobble, 2B, Captain Commando and Fulgore, sorry if they doesn't look great with the other if people have good looking smashified icons sent them by private message to me, thanks in advance.)
I can't really see Mickey getting in since he's a character from a television franchise. Any character from a series of video games that is either too obscure and/or unpopular to be noticed by anyone would have a much higher chance of being a potential fighter candidate.

Girahim and Phosphora don't have much of a chance, either; Both of them are already assists in Smash Ultimate.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You will have to explain why some of these character can't be happening?
It comes down to the fact that Nintendo's going to want heavy hitters for DLC, especially if these characters are to be sold on their own like we currently think.

NONE of the characters I mentioned are what I, or anyone thinking without bias, would call a heavy hitter.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It comes down to the fact that Nintendo's going to want heavy hitters for DLC, especially if these characters are to be sold on their own like we currently think.

NONE of the characters I mentioned are what I, or anyone thinking without bias, would call a heavy hitter.
What if they’re promotional for a re release? I.e. Medusa for Kid Icarus Uprising Remastered, Black Shadow for F-Zero GX HD, etc.

Characters like Elma, BWD and Octoling can probably stand on their own merits tho

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What if they’re promotional for a re release? I.e. Medusa for Kid Icarus Uprising Remastered, Black Shadow for F-Zero GX HD, etc.

Characters like Elma, BWD and Octoling can probably stand on their own merits tho
Promotional Picks? Maybe. It would have to be a pretty big title though. Like, Fates big, which not a lot of games fit right about now. Not just any character can get a promotional pass.

Of the three you mentioned, only BWD really stands on his own, and even then he pales in comparison to other larger first party picks and even larger third party picks. Octoling has a chance if we get more echoes, but if not she's got a low chance.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think we are at a point where recent picks are not necessarily"Promotional Picks". All characters by virtue into getting into Smash get promotion, but stuff like Three Houses and Astral Chain, though recent, have their supporters. I'd argue even saying a character can get revealed or released alongside a game can't really count as strictly "promotional". It just doesn't feel like the best way to consider new characters especially for this DLC wave.

It's a wild world out there.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
Kinda weird that people here are saying only third parties should get in, or only Fire Emblem/Astral Chain reps should get in, and that older first party Nintendo IPs are a no-go, when we literally got Piranha Plant of all things as the first DLC character. Sakurai's choices are, if anything, difficult to predict.

I'm back again with a bunch of chracter that can be added, here see this as a possibility. The only character that is here a wild guess wild card is Mickey I don't know why but I feel that if a character can break the rules of no anime/cartoon character in Smash it's him because I see him as the Mario of the cartoon/anime world. Of course this list represent what I think the overall community wants.

Let's assume that all of these character can be added our actual roster will grow up to 39%, 38% if Sora and Mickey aren't in there. Also I welcome some help to narrow down this roster and pin point the true possible contestant that will be added by Sakurai.

(P.S. Couldn't find good looking smashified icons for Vaati, Panther, Porky, Travis, Prince, Bubble Bobble, 2B, Captain Commando and Fulgore, sorry if they doesn't look great with the other if people have good looking smashified icons sent them by private message to me, thanks in advance.)
Wart, but not Birdo? Panther, Leon and Peppy but not Krystal? Sub-Zero, even though the Mortal Kombat games are banned in Japan and are based around extreme violence? Freaking Adam from Metroid Other M???

Well you put Klonoa, Medusa and Shantae in there, so I might forgive you... ;P

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I'm personally hoping we get more Nintendo characters in the next pack. I don't mind more guests but I'd also like Nintendo to rep themselves more too. Especially with how many characters from their own line ups people still want. Hoping the next pack, however many characters it'll be, is 50/50 Nintendo/guests, if possible.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Honestly as a Final Fantasy fan it hurts seeing no representation of other FF games in Smash. In fact outside of two songs and a stage we have nothing more from FFVII.

I would LOVE to have themes in Smash like Battle on the Big Bridge from FFV, Terra's Theme from FFVI, The Man With the Machine Gun from FFVIII, You're Not Alone from FFIX, Otherworld from FFX or the Boss Battle theme from FFXII, and of course, more themes from VII like One Winged Angel or JENOVA. It's a crime these two themes aren't in Smash.
I agree. I would've liked to hear more Final Fantasy music in Smash as it does have a huge range of iconic themes within its series from Final Fantasy VI's Searching for Friends to Final Fantasy X's Seymour's Final Battle Theme.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
also, why would Nia specifically ask who the "everyone" in the sentence is, if it was just meant to be a general thing?
Not every general usage of the word "everyone" refers to "Everyone is Here." It's a fourth wall break/joke statement, there's absolutely nothing to connect it to Smash. There's no further hint of "Smashing" or "Ultimate" or anything of the sort. And it goes without saying, "Everyone is Here" was entirely referring to all the Smash veterans and not beyond that to newcomers. So it doesn't even make sense to position Elma with the "everyone is here" tagline.

This is reaching way too far when your only evidence is just that they used "everyone" once.

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
If this were Sm4sh speculation I'd agree, but:

Rayman got powercrept hard by the current DLC character meta. He just doesn't line up with absolute all-stars of gaming on the table right now.

Elma sits behind Rex & Pyra for her spot given XCX's middle-child syndrome and now being one of the only Wii U exclusives trapped on the platform.
As a Rayman fan, I admit he's got no chance even if he didn't have a spirit (so Nintendo can say "look, we did add Rayman!"). After the likes of Banjo and Hero, Rayman would be extremely tame and kind of underwhelming. Heck, nearly every third party would have made a bigger splash than Rayman, if released today. He was big in Sm4sh speculation but it feels like Smash has gotten so much bigger since and Rayman so much smaller...

He feels sort of like Professor Layton in that regard. Recall when he was super popular in Sm4sh hopes and now he's never discussed?

Literally over half of these characters have near 0 chances of getting in.
I wouldn't argue they're impossible- never say never with these sorts of things- but I do agree these choices are extremely WTF and out there. Who here really be wanting micky mouse in smash brothers, i need to have a strong talk with you

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Troll baiting
Fighting games are a niche genre and any fighting game that's not called Street Fighter, Tekken or Mortal Kombat is even more obscure. I don't know why insecure Terry fans are so desperate to act like Hat Ken is a household name and that anyone who doesn't know who he is is ignorant.

It's always so lame when people hold up a character for their "historical value" or because they represent a particular company or genre. They'll take the boring, generic character over the interesting or popular one just for the sake of a roster that they think is "correct".

The harsh reality is that SNK is dead, KoF has never been mainstream, and unless you are a fighting game junkie or a Latin American, the only reason you might have even heard of Terry is because of memes.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Fighting games are a niche genre and any fighting game that's not called Street Fighter, Tekken or Mortal Kombat is even more obscure. I don't know why insecure Terry fans are so desperate to act like Hat Ken is a household name and that anyone who doesn't know who he is is ignorant.

It's always so lame when people hold up a character for their "historical value" or because they represent a particular company or genre. They'll take the boring, generic character over the interesting or popular one just for the sake of a roster that they think is "correct".

The harsh reality is that SNK is dead, KoF has never been mainstream, and unless you are a fighting game junkie or a Latin American, the only reason you might have even heard of Terry is because of memes.
I mean you can't really claim to not be ignorant when you're calling Terry "Hat Ken" unironically.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

bro you're named after a fourth gen pokemon

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

> SNK is dead
> Samurai Shodown, DEVELOPED BY SNK, was a prominent game at EVO, and KOF characters are crossing over into Fighting games everywhere

This isn't even good bait.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Platformers are a niche genre and any platformer that's not called Banjo-Kazooie, Glover, or Bubsy 3D is even more obscure. I don't know why insecure Mario fans are so desperate to act like Red-Cap Stalin is a household name and that anyone who doesn't know who he is is ignorant.

The harsh reality is that Nintendo is dead, Super Mario has never been mainstream, and unless you are a platformer junkie or Japanese, the only reason you might have even heard of Mario is because of memes.

KillerCage

Smash Master

Excluding the third-party characters, most of the first party characters don't have the moveset potential, importance, or feasiblity to be playable in Smash Bros. Hades in particular is (sign) too big for Smash. I sound like a hypocrite since I supported Ridley all this time, BUT we never saw Hades being smaller a mountain. The only Nintendo characters getting into Smash as original or echo fighters are Captain Toad, Funky Kong, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Magolor, Black Shadow, Impa, Mach Rider (thank the Grinch leak), Chibi-Robo, Ray, Chorus Kids, and Rex & Pyra.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I wouldn't argue they're impossible- never say never with these sorts of things- but I do agree these choices are extremely WTF and out there. Who here really be wanting micky mouse in smash brothers, i need to have a strong talk with you
To be fair, I said near zero. While it's not at all remotely likely, I'm not the kind of person to speak in absolutes that much.

Also, as a Sora fan, if Nintendo could somehow come out of negotiations with the absolute media juggernaut that is Mickey Mouse I wouldn't even be mad.

Like, Mickey vs. Mario alone would be an absolutely insane matchup.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The harsh reality is that SNK is dead
Bruh, aside from the 90's I don't think SNK has ever been doing this good. Samurai Shodown was already profitable from it's preorders alone, it had a main spot at EVO where it received more entrants than Mortal Kombat 11 (the one you claimed to be more mainstream), and SNK has had a ton of recent crossovers in other popular fighters including Tekken 7 with Geese Howard and Soul Caliber VI with Haohmaru.

The fact that you used "Hat Ken" unironically really says all I need to know about where your interests align.

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
Excluding the third-party characters, most of the first party characters don't have the moveset potential, importance, or feasiblity to be playable in Smash Bros. Hades in particular is (sign) too big for Smash. I sound like a hypocrite since I supported Ridley all this time, BUT we never saw Hades being smaller a mountain. The only Nintendo characters getting into Smash as original or echo fighters are Captain Toad, Funky Kong, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Magolor, Black Shadow, Impa, Mach Rider (thank the Grinch leak), Chibi-Robo, Ray, Chorus Kids, and Rex & Pyra.

For real tho, if Ridley is in Smash, I'm sure they could find some way to shrink down Hades. Same with Medusa. I personally don't care about Hades, but him being "too big" is not a reason for him to not get in, given that Sakurai can just scale him down to normal size. After all, the Smash is essentially about toys of Nintendo/videogame characters fighting, not the actual real characters themselves.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace

Not sure how they can be 'dead' when KOF had a game last year and is getting a new game next year plus Samurai Shodown was released not too long ago and is getting updated (Including DLC). Dead would lead one to believe they don't make anything anymore. If you mean 'irrelevant' than perhaps. SNK games are more niche among an already niche market. KOF could easily be 'main stream' if they can get the proper budget to make the next KOF have a better launch. That, imo, was KOF's struggle before was luke warm launch and nothing 'kills' a fighting game more than a luke warm launch.

Nintendo throwing SNK a 'bone' by giving their franchise a spot in Smash is pretty decent honestly. I'd also stake SNK was pretty main stream in the hayday. You couldn't go into an arcade without finding some sort of SNK cabinet. They were front runners with the likes of Capcom, even if they might have have been quite as big as Capcom. They still gave them a solid run for the money. Their 'main stream' appeal began to flounder though with the decline of arcades in the states and Capcom adapted better to the home market than SNK did in general.

Terry being in Smash is good. He's just as historically relevant as Ryu/Ken. The height of arcades and fighting games in general and a rivalry that helped evolve the genre as a whole.

In regards to taking the 'historical' character over a 'relevant' one? I'll take it all day long. Smash is a game that celebrates gaming history. Sakurai has stated as such. Not sure why the game acting as a sort of 'museum' is a bad. Much better than being filled with simple 'flavor of the month' characters who are hot due to new sales but aren't particularly significant in terms of gaming as a whole. I'll say one thing...from what I see on this board and the internet in general? The 'popular pick' is often the absolute worst or cringe picks. If we went off what was 'popular' this game would BE the meme.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I find it sad nobody ever puts any Level 5 characters in their prediction when it's literally one of the last big japanese company that's pretty linked to Nintendo like Koei Tecmo not referenced in Smash lmao

MainJPW

M.T.A
Hades in particular is (sign) too big for Smash. I sound like a hypocrite since I supported Ridley all this time, BUT we never saw Hades being smaller a mountain.
Wasn't Ridley's problem more about getting his proportions to not look strange when sizing him down to fit the roster? Hades has humanoid body proportions so I don't see how this is a problem.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I'm feeling that for the 2nd wave of DLC, if they're even considering assist trophies, Isaac and Shadow have the biggest shots at being promoted..

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think first party characters are bad picks. Take a look at Little Shop of Horrors over here. Everyone was so hyped (and admittedly a bit confused) when it was revealed. The issue with first parties lies in the fact you'll need a bit more than a name to convince everyone that they want them on their big, ginormous, twelve inch screens.

I think the Kid Icarus gods can be whatever size they want to be. Palutena and Viridi are normal human size yet both can be seen towering over Pit in official material. I don't think it's a huge stretch to have Hades be Ganondorf's size or something.

I find it sad nobody ever puts any Level 5 characters in their prediction when it's literally one of the last big japanese company that's pretty linked to Nintendo like Koei Tecmo not referenced in Smash lmao
Hm. I haven't considered Level 5 to be a big company before. They do have more than one successful IP so I suppose they're not that small...

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm feeling that for the 2nd wave of DLC, if they're even considering assist trophies, Isaac and Shadow have the biggest shots at being promoted..
Waluigi would like to know your location

Shadow has a chance if we get more echo characters, but Isaac doesn't have much of a chance unless Nintendo brings back Golden Sun AND decides to include him as a promo rep and a concession to Europe.
Professor Layton is large in Japan, but not nearly as large in America, and Yokai Watch is dying down in Japan and never really broke into America.

Hence, I do not predict a Level 5 rep.
I don't think first party characters are bad picks. Take a look at Little Shop of Horrors over here. Everyone was so hyped (and admittedly a bit confused) when it was revealed. The issue with first parties lies in the fact you'll need a bit more than a name to convince everyone that they want them on their big, ginormous, twelve inch screens.
It's not that first party characters are bad picks so much as they offer less than third party characters in terms of hype and the viral marketing for Smash that comes from that.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
To slightly change subject for a moment - I really can't help but to notice that following this last Direct, people really seem to be split in the middle on whether the announcement of further DLC means that the endless deluge of unnecessary third-parties continues, or if first-party characters have a shot. I've seen people say that not even Mii costumes and Assist Trophies are really off the table now, and people say that it's "obvious" that we're only getting more third-parties.

Bruh, aside from the 90's I don't think SNK has ever been doing this good. Samurai Shodown was already profitable from it's preorders alone, it had a main spot at EVO where it received more entrants than Mortal Kombat 11 (the one you claimed to be more mainstream), and SNK has had a ton of recent crossovers in other popular fighters including Tekken 7 with Geese Howard and Soul Caliber VI with Haohmaru.

The fact that you used "Hat Ken" unironically really says all I need to know about where your interests align.
Is that guy even worth responding to? Whenever I see any posts of his, they always seem be of roughly the same "quality".

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Loved Little Battlers eXperience a whole lot. A big Medabots vibe from characters/plot and general concept while a blend of an old gameboy game called Power Quest (A fighting game with kids using action figure sized robots). Pretty fun game with quite a bit of customization/parts hunting.

Though the only game I think on their list with characters having a shot (As a lot of their games seem to be licensed properties) would be a Yokai Watch character and I know there's been a lot of desire for such a rep. Dark Cloud would be a fun franchise for a fighter but feels like it's still to cult favorite status to make a splash on the radar and as much as I love those games, I'd much prefer more classic characters.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Professor Layton is large in Japan, but not nearly as large in America, and Yokai Watch is dying down in Japan and never really broke into America.

Hence, I do not predict a Level 5 rep.
If I'm not mistaken, both Professor Layton and Yokai Watch are fairly popular series in Europe
America and Japan are not the entire world, just so you know....

D

Deleted member

My father is actually a huge Layton fan.

The idea of him getting into Smash at any form if Layton got added does amuse me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
If I'm not mistaken, both Professor Layton and Yokai Watch are fairly popular series in Europe
America and Japan are not the entire world, just so you know....
Layton, I dunno.

Yokai Watch was always a Japanese series first, and the translation to Western culture gimped it a solid bit. It was always more popular in Japan, and it's dying out there, which corresponds to it dying out in the West before it could ever really gain traction.

Compared to other, more popular picks though, I just don't see it as likely. They fall into the same pit as Rayman: If this were Sm4sh speculation I'd totally see it as likely, but compared to the legends we've got on the table right now they can't compete.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How come people don't talk about KOS-MOS like they did before release? There where a lot of rumors about her and now most people forgot about her.
Another character I see people sleep on is Sol Badguy but I see now that it's not as likely.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
In regards to taking the 'historical' character over a 'relevant' one? I'll take it all day long. Smash is a game that celebrates gaming history. Sakurai has stated as such. Not sure why the game acting as a sort of 'museum' is a bad. Much better than being filled with simple 'flavor of the month' characters who are hot due to new sales but aren't particularly significant in terms of gaming as a whole. I'll say one thing...from what I see on this board and the internet in general? The 'popular pick' is often the absolute worst or cringe picks. If we went off what was 'popular' this game would BE the meme.
At this point, all of the necessary historical characters have already gotten in. Relevant characters are simply more popular. Just look at how much more buzz the Sans costume reveal got compared to Hat Ken. Face it. Most people want characters they like from games they've played recently.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Boy, level 5 is always on my list.

At this point, all of the necessary historical characters have already gotten in. Relevant characters are simply more popular. Just look at how much more buzz the Sans costume reveal got compared to Hat Ken.
What about Crash?

Last edited:

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Ridley & Olimar are on the same roster and you debate 'size' for Hades? It's...not really hard to picture the Kid Icarus gods shrunken down for Smash. Reasons why I still adore the idea of Viridi, Hades, & Medusa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom