• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The sad part about the people who call Hero Goku is that the joke would actually work way better with Lucario.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
My highest estimate hasn't changed: 100 Fighters total (counting uniques only), so from Terry's successor, we'd need 25 more. Why else would you go through the effort of numbering the Fighters? That being said, let's say 15 of them only come with themselves and only 10 come with a stage and spirit board. That would be 10 third parties and 15 first parties, most likely.

My lowest is now 5, assuming all of them get the works, and 7, assuming more than a few only come with themselves and some songs.

D

Deleted member

The Sean Schemmel thing and energy beam?
Also the leg’s design, final smash, moveset in general, aura gimmick, character poses and overall behaviour,

Lucario in Smash does feel at times as Sakurai’s way to say “we can’t get Goku, so just enjoy what we have”.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So how many more DLC do you think we will be getting?
If I have to make a prediction then it would be four DLC characters after the fighters pass. I'll go the extra mile and predict that three of them will be third party characters and one of them will be a first party character. There's no basis to my prediction, it's just a gut feeling that I've had for a while.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Also the leg’s design, final smash, moveset in general, aura gimmick, character poses and overall behaviour,

Lucario in Smash does feel at times as Sakurai’s way to say “we can’t get Goku, so just enjoy what we have”.
Let's not forget they share the same voice actor.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm thinking 3-5.

They wouldn't announce DLC this early if they were only going to do two. So three minimum. But like others, four seems like an appropriate gut feeling. It would let them finish the second set by the end of 2020 and essentially wrap up a solid two years of post-launch support, and depending on pricing, they can avoid the DLC in total costing more than the base game.

Fighters Pass #5: January
Season 2 #1: April
Season 2 #2: July
Season 2 #3: September
Season 2 #4: December

Something like that. 10 characters in total counting Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think the main issue others (and myself) have with this statement is that the story of Kingdom Hearts isn’t about the adaption of Disney properties, when that is just a small part of the greater whole. The story of Kingdom Hearts can be told with the Disney worlds mostly excluded, for that reason I wouldn’t call it an adaption.
I can certainly see that. But going back to my Android 21 example, you could take out everything else from the Dragon Ball manga and anime from around that character, and claim she's a pure video game character, but she'd STILL be considered a Dragon Ball character.

Now, to be fair, you're right, there's a LOT more that's video game unique about Kingdom Hearts, but ultimately, it IS still a video game that shares it's game world with NON-video game properties.

So ultimately, it doesn't matter what I think, what KH fans think or even what Disney thinks. What matters is does NINTENDO think Sora is a video game character, or a Disney movie/cartoon character. I don't know or even particularly care whether they do or not, but I think pretending like there's no way this could matter is just KH fans sticking their fingers in their ears going, "LALALA! I'M NOT LISTENING!"

Mickey is here mostly as a wild idea, the idea being what if Sakurai add an non gaming character who will be his choice ? Answer Mickey.
The answer is Goku.

It's always so lame when people hold up a character for their "historical value" or because they represent a particular company or genre. They'll take the boring, generic character over the interesting or popular one just for the sake of a roster that they think is "correct".
Absolutely. Those things are more important to me. Especially since "interesting" usually translates to "weird gameplay gimmick that makes me not like playing the character" anyway.

I'll take a character with a solid, straightforward moveset who also has cultural/historical significance as a character any day.

At this point, all of the necessary historical characters have already gotten in. Relevant characters are simply more popular. Just look at how much more buzz the Sans costume reveal got compared to Hat Ken. Face it. Most people want characters they like from games they've played recently.
Half of the reason Smash exists it to MAKE newer games aware of gaming's history and about characters they might not know about.

You're right, lots of people didn't know who Terry was. Well guess what, they all do now.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm guessing three beyond the Fighter's Pass. I don't think they'd make enough of them for a full fighter's pass, but they'd still make a decent amount. (it's probably not one unless there was a translation issue with the "fighters" comment, and two doesn't seem like a lot) Four might be possible, but either they'd have to rearrange the character select screen again or an entire row would be dedicated to the Random button.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Legitimately, I think if they get frisky with the echoes, they could actually hit 100.

We'll be at 82 at the end of the fighter's pass. If they do 5-8 new unique characters, and 10-13 new echoes(which is totally possible, even with just the current roster), they'd be there.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
At this point, all of the necessary historical characters have already gotten in. Relevant characters are simply more popular. Just look at how much more buzz the Sans costume reveal got compared to Hat Ken. Face it. Most people want characters they like from games they've played recently.
Crazy how people are still on that 'Hat Ken' nonsense lmao

MainJPW

M.T.A

Doesn't Eight have that Super High Tension status effect that makes him look like a Super Saiyan?

Yeah, yeah I know it's not in Smash.
Let's not forget they share the same voice actor.
I said that already.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
DLC will continue until Nintendo decides it's not making enough money, or enough people on the development team refuse to continue.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Fighting games are a niche genre and any fighting game that's not called Street Fighter, Tekken or Mortal Kombat is even more obscure. I don't know why insecure Terry fans are so desperate to act like Hat Ken is a household name and that anyone who doesn't know who he is is ignorant.

It's always so lame when people hold up a character for their "historical value" or because they represent a particular company or genre. They'll take the boring, generic character over the interesting or popular one just for the sake of a roster that they think is "correct".

The harsh reality is that SNK is dead, KoF has never been mainstream, and unless you are a fighting game junkie or a Latin American, the only reason you might have even heard of Terry is because of memes.
SNK is dead, despite coming back from the depths of total bankruptcy with KOF XIV, Samurai Shodown and a new console Metal Slug game AND KOF XV???

What kind of bull**** is this? This really ain't it chief.

Last edited:

Kronch

Smash Cadet
I think Terry looks extremely cool and stylish, and I like the way he represents a quirky, strange, and obscure part of gaming history. He's pretty much the Mr. Game & Watch of Ultimate, and that's fine by me.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Honestly being salty about Terry and calling him hat ken just shows your ignorance and proves that you need to play more games smash is for OLD and NEW niche and well known to limit it to characters that are just well know half the roster wouldn't be there at all

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Honestly being salty about Terry and calling him hat ken just shows your ignorance and proves that you need to play more games smash is for OLD and NEW niche and well known to limit it to characters that are just well know half the roster wouldn't be there at all
It's like people forgot that Ness, Captain Falcon, Marth/Roy, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. were all totally 'who the heck are those' characters for lots of people over the years. Like Nintendo hasn't pulled characters out of the wood work of 'obscurity' before, even if it is their OWN obscurity. Yet I don't get why it's seen as a relatively 'bad' thing. I guess it's harder to accept such picks when the internet allows us all to be so vocal or find people who share our wants that it sorta overcomes us when we don't get what we wanted or expected.

StormC

Smash Hero
I knew the next character after Banjo would get people upset (because there's basically nobody that can follow that up) but Terry of all characters was definitely going to cause some confusion and irritation.

Nintendo announcing more DLC is about the only thing keeping the Smash fanbase from having a total meltdown about it.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I knew the next character after Banjo would get people upset (because there's basically nobody that can follow that up) but Terry of all characters was definitely going to cause some confusion and irritation.

Nintendo announcing more DLC is about the only thing keeping the Smash fanbase from having a total meltdown about it.
If Nintendo felt Terry would draw that much salt, why include him in the first place?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
If Nintendo felt Terry would draw that much salt, why include him in the first place?
I doubt they consciously announced more DLC alongside Terry, it's just a funny timing thing. Online nerds raging about Smash inclusions only make up a small fraction of consumers, anyway.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I dunno why people are still complaining about Terry.

He was already added in Smash back in late July, y'all have had over a month to accept it.

Edit: darn it, Smashboards ruined my joke, here are the attached files

DQ-7-2-1024x1012.png DQVI_Terry_Concept.png

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe 14-13 unique fighters would be enough for sakurai to put in.
that's the dream but unless somehow more WoL slots are added I doubt it. I'd say 10 max for now, which for most of my picks is plenty

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Can I just say that I would absolutely LOVE if we got Japan's Top 5 requested characters? Also, I love that Sora is either 1st or 2nd for every territory.
ED-jiNyWsAEjW1e.png

I'm going to agree with this as well. IF Nintendo is fine with Kingdom Hearts as a video game, then there's no reason you can't put Sora in without any of the Disney characters. The series has more than enough characters, locations and music that are unique to the series. All they really have to do is take the little Mickey Mouse icon off his keyblade chain.
I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with it..I mean, Sora is a character that has only appeared in three things: Video Games, his primary source, and then manga and novel adaptions of those video games. If he's not considered a video game character simply due to interacting with cartoon and movie characters then I'd be surprised and in complete disagreement.
They could also keep the Hidden Mickey keychain on the Kingdom Key since its not a character but rather an icon..but they could also change out the Keyblade for a different one if they wanted to.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Can I just say that I would absolutely LOVE if we got Japan's Top 5 requested characters? Also, I love that Sora is either 1st or 2nd for every territory.
View attachment 237530

I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with it..I mean, Sora is a character that has only appeared in three things: Video Games, his primary source, and then manga and novel adaptions of those video games. If he's not considered a video game character simply due to interacting with cartoon and movie characters then I'd be surprised and in complete disagreement.
They could also keep the Hidden Mickey keychain on the Kingdom Key since its not a character but rather an icon..but they could also change out the Keyblade for a different one if they wanted to.
Anime Sword boys will never die

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't think they'd swap the Kingdom Key out for another keyblade. It's probably as iconic as Sora. If they couldn't keep the Hidden Mickey, maybe just replace it with the Smash symbol. The Fatal Fury stage features the Smash logo so it's not like incorporating it into third party designs is impossible.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I find it sad nobody ever puts any Level 5 characters in their prediction when it's literally one of the last big japanese company that's pretty linked to Nintendo like Koei Tecmo not referenced in Smash lmao
I'd be more inclined to predict Level 5 if they hadn't been struggling as much these past few years to find solid footing. Yokai Watch was a huge success that they clearly over-invested in (there are technically 7 Yokai Watch games on 3DS right now, which seems excessive) and it seems like the series has dropped off significantly. When they decided to retire Professor Layton for Lady Layton, it seems like most people generally moved on, and even beyond that, the series was in a state of fatigue prior to that with just how many Professor Layton games they released in a short period of time. They've also recently had the Ni No Kuni movie bomb in Japan. Level 5 just seems like not in a great place and without really a clear direction forward, and I've heard rumors of their financial situation just getting worse and worse... So yeah, I'm not super confident about Level 5 right now even if I do appreciate some of their stuff a good deal.

I suspect at least another 5. I don't think Sakurai would be announcing additional characters this early if they weren't committed to releasing several more and keeping support going for Smash, they would have just done like two in a Final Direct or something. The confidence to announce this early indicates that they're going to keep supporting Smash for a while to me. I don't think they have a determined end point or set number of characters right now, I think Sakurai is just going for it while he can and Nintendo seems willing to bank roll him for the foreseeable future. So I expect they will continue until Sakurai stops or the DLC stops selling... or we go for so long until the next Smash needs to be developed and they need to shut down the Ultimate team lol. Whichever happens first.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Right now, about 3-5. I'm kinda doubtful that Ultimate will push the big 100 since that would mean 18 additional fighters after this pass, which would be absolute murder for the development team and everyone's wallets. Another five character pass seems like the most feasible outcome, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just did 2-3 more characters outside of the pass.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Really gonna do me like that? Albeit I do agree that the top 5 are fantastic characters.
I dunno what you're referring to sadly lol Kinda flew over my head.
Anime Sword boys will never die
Nope, and I hope they don't..80% of my favorite game feature anime swordsmen & swordswomen♥
I don't think they'd swap the Kingdom Key out for another keyblade. It's probably as iconic as Sora. If they couldn't keep the Hidden Mickey, maybe just replace it with the Smash symbol. The Fatal Fury stage features the Smash logo so it's not like incorporating it into third party designs is impossible.
Honestly, I don't think they would either, I'm just saying its a possibility they could turn to..and I think that would work really well honestly..I mean, its a small, barely noticable thing...Granted, I don't think Disney, Nintendo, or Sakurai would have a problem with the Mickey Emblem since its not a character, just representative of one..and more-so Disney itself..and is honestly just as iconic as a symbol these days on its own as it is in its association with Mickey Mouse.
Right now, about 3-5. I'm kinda doubtful that Ultimate will push the big 100 since that would mean 18 additional fighters after this pass, which would be absolute murder for the development team and everyone's wallets. Another five character pass seems like the most feasible outcome, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just did 2-3 more characters outside of the pass.
Yeah, I think 5 more personally..and maybe up to 10 (aka 2 more Fighter Passes)..but I don't think it'd go beyond that.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I remember when Smash fans welcomed characters even if they didn't know them. That was nice.

To be fair, back in those days the conditions to join Smash were just 'you gotta be Nintendo', whereas now it's the more subjective 'you gotta be Nintendo or an iconic third party'.

One thing I kinda feel like I should call out is the hypocrisy of people saying first party characters wouldn't bring the hype, then blaming people who don't feel hype for Terry as ignorant. Don't get me wrong, I'm very surprised and confused that people apparently don't know Terry, but clearly characters not being massive hypeballs isn't an issue (and it shouldn't be! Terry's great!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom