• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Pleasantly surprised that the Heavy and Doomguy are so high up in Europe, and that Dante's so popular in both Europe and Japan. Admittedly, any polls, even Twitter mentions, aren't going to be completely accurate due to a limited sample size, but if we could get any of those three in Smash, that would be amazing. (though there are other characters on there that I'd like to see, like Agumon, Bandana Dee, Rayman, 2B, or Crash)

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I dunno what you're referring to sadly lol Kinda flew over my head.

Nope, and I hope they don't..80% of my favorite game feature anime swordsmen & swordswomen♥

Honestly, I don't think they would either, I'm just saying its a possibility they could turn to..and I think that would work really well honestly..I mean, its a small, barely noticable thing...Granted, I don't think Disney, Nintendo, or Sakurai would have a problem with the Mickey Emblem since its not a character, just representative of one..and more-so Disney itself..and is honestly just as iconic as a symbol these days on its own as it is in its association with Mickey Mouse.

Yeah, I think 5 more personally..and maybe up to 10 (aka 2 more Fighter Passes)..but I don't think it'd go beyond that.
I don't know any anime swordswomen sadly I wish I did but I kinda don't but if Lloyd and Sora get in that'll be two characters I predicted well at least Lloyd for DLC sora i didn't even think about because if they want him they'll add him now if only Adol from Ys can get in and Travis it's over all the anime sword boys would have united

7NATOR

Smash Master
Smash Ultimate can get to 100. I Think though there will probably be a definitive edition to do that do. All that DLC will kill our wallets

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious I've speculated a lot on what characters and who might get in but what do you guys think of my list of possible characters that might make it in and some hope's and dreams of mine really lol
Travis Touchdown From Marvelous
Ryu Hayabusa From Tecmo
Jill or Leon From Capcom (although i don't see why both can't be skins for each other)
Lloyd From Namco
Tekken someone from that series don't know who
Sora From Disney or Squaresoft
Adol From Nihon Falcom
Shin Megami Tensei Protag From Atlus
Master Chief From Microsoft
Doomslayer Fron Id Software
Dante From Capcom
Crash From Activision
and some Echos like
Octoling, Black Shadow, Dixie, Ms.Pacman, Impa, Medusa, Zack, Jeanne
who are you guys betting on for dlc
Here are the characters I think would please the most people in different demographics. Keep in mind I don't necessarily think this will happen, this is just my opinion on what would be the smartest character choices.

Steve. Would appeal to everyone, regardless of how old you are, what console you play on, if you play mobile or PC, where you're from. He would literally appeal to all demographics. The perfect choice, imo.

Master Chief. The face of the FPS genre and the face of Xbox. One of the most iconic gaming characters outside of Smash, right now.

Tracer. Would appeal to anyone involved with eSports, whether you're a spectator or a player yourself. Also, a character that's very popular in the mainstream.

Hatsune Miku. Would please the otaku demographic, the vocaloid fanbase, PlayStation fans and would bring in some non gamers into Smash. An absolute icon, even outside the gaming circle.

Lara Croft. Is well known not just for her games, she's also well known by her movies. She would reach a whole different demographic because of this and would certainly make a huge splash due to her icon status as a character.

Sans. Most iconic indie character because of just how massive Undertale has become. Believe it or not, he's even more popular in Japan than he is here in the States, placing very very high on Famitsu character popularity contests! Sans has also stayed in the mainstream due to the release of Deltarune and the memes involving him. You know what they say, no publicity is bad publicity!

Gordon Freeman/Heavy/Chell. I don't know much about these characters, but I know it would be very wise to get the PC demographic in on the hype! Any of these choices should do the trick!

Geno. Can't forget about the hardcore Nintendo/Smash fans! Even though he's unknown outside the dedicated Nintendo/Smash circle, it's important to keep your fan base happy and continue to throw them a bone every now and again!

Tetrimino. Okay hear me out. Smash Ultimate has had many inclusions that many different age groups and different countries know about. But, has there been a character that is so well known that grandpa or someone who's been living under a rock would know? No, there hasn't. This is why I propose Tetrimino makes the cut. It would be a very well known character from one of the most well known games, and it would be funny as hell.

Sora. The Disney demographic is HUGE! Imagine happy into that with Smash DLC. Sora is also one of the most highly requested characters in all territories. Sora in Smash would be huge!

For the last spot, I couldn't decide between Crash or Monster Hunter. I think both would be massive additions.

If they did echo fighter DLC, these are the characters I'd expect they'd choose to add:

Octoling, Tails, Ms. Pac-Man, Protoman and Dixie Kong.

Keep in mind I tried to have as little bias as possible with my picks. I don't even want a lot of these characters! I just think these would be the smartest choices. Let me know what you guys think!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Smash Ultimate can get to 100. I Think though there will probably be a definitive edition to do that do. All that DLC will kill our wallets
Sakurai: "Fighter Number 1 in Super Smash Bros. is Mario. When I first added him in the first game, I based his normal attacks off of Super Mario 64.

"Thus, it only makes sense to round out the latest entry of Super Smash Bros. by including the same amount of fighters as there are stars in Super Mario 64: 120. Stay tuned for further news."

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Look, we all have our wants.

But man, looking at this as a way to make new fun headcanons about the Smash Mansion and learn about new game worlds and series' and characters themselves is only a positive thing.

I made a silly tweet referring to how Terry adopted Rock Howard and how he is clearly in Smash to support his new children Red and Ness and it blew up and got a lot of people who didn't know Terry before learning about how he's a fun, kind dad who plays videogames. It's all thanks to people opening their mind and learning fun things to connect to regarding a character.

Be like that with everyone. Keep an open mind and have fun. And if after learning about a character and playing their games you still don't like them, then, well, that's fair I guess.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Here are the characters I think would please the most people in different demographics. Keep in mind I don't necessarily think this will happen, this is just my opinion on what would be the smartest character choices.

Steve. Would appeal to everyone, regardless of how old you are, what console you play on, if you play mobile or PC, where you're from. He would literally appeal to all demographics. The perfect choice, imo.

Master Chief. The face of the FPS genre and the face of Xbox. One of the most iconic gaming characters outside of Smash, right now.

Tracer. Would appeal to anyone involved with eSports, whether you're a spectator or a player yourself. Also, a character that's very popular in the mainstream.

Hatsune Miku. Would please the otaku demographic, the vocaloid fanbase, PlayStation fans and would bring in some non gamers into Smash. An absolute icon, even outside the gaming circle.

Lara Croft. Is well known not just for her games, she's also well known by her movies. She would reach a whole different demographic because of this and would certainly make a huge splash due to her icon status as a character.

Sans. Most iconic indie character because of just how massive Undertale has become. Believe it or not, he's even more popular in Japan than he is here in the States, placing very very high on Famitsu character popularity contests! Sans has also stayed in the mainstream due to the release of Deltarune and the memes involving him. You know what they say, no publicity is bad publicity!

Gordon Freeman/Heavy/Chell. I don't know much about these characters, but I know it would be very wise to get the PC demographic in on the hype! Any of these choices should do the trick!

Geno. Can't forget about the hardcore Nintendo/Smash fans! Even though he's unknown outside the dedicated Nintendo/Smash circle, it's important to keep your fan base happy and continue to throw them a bone every now and again!

Tetrimino. Okay hear me out. Smash Ultimate has had many inclusions that many different age groups and different countries know about. But, has there been a character that is so well known that grandpa or someone who's been living under a rock would know? No, there hasn't. This is why I propose Tetrimino makes the cut. It would be a very well known character from one of the most well known games, and it would be funny as hell.

Sora. The Disney demographic is HUGE! Imagine happy into that with Smash DLC. Sora is also one of the most highly requested characters in all territories. Sora in Smash would be huge!

For the last spot, I couldn't decide between Crash or Monster Hunter. I think both would be massive additions.

If they did echo fighter DLC, these are the characters I'd expect they'd choose to add:

Keep in mind I tried to have as little bias as possible with my picks. I don't even want a lot of these characters! I just think these would be the smartest choices. Let me know what you guys think!
Tetromino isn't a character.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm utterly ****ing confused when Heavy ends up on any list... I like Team Fortress 2 a fair amount, but he's not even the most interesting character of that game (and has been meme'd into pure annoyance), he's not got the crazy moveset potential of Chell with Portals, and he's not the goddamn man of Valve and FPS games himself, Gordon Freeman. Like if you're going to choose a Valve rep, Gordon Freeman is to them what Mario is to Nintendo, Sonic to Sega, and Terry to SNK...

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
I'm utterly ****ing confused when Heavy ends up on any list... I like Team Fortress 2 a fair amount, but he's not even the most interesting character of that game (and has been meme'd into pure annoyance), he's not got the crazy moveset potential of Chell with Portals, and he's not the goddamn man of Valve and FPS games himself, Gordon Freeman. Like if you're going to choose a Valve rep, Gordon Freeman is to them what Mario is to Nintendo, Sonic to Sega, and Terry to SNK...
if you're talking about my list, like I said, I don't know Valve characters that well. Heavy is just the character I hear talk about most. If Gordon is the face of Valve, then just imagine I put Gordon on the list, instead of "Gordon/Heavy/Chell". I meant no offense.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

meh i don't mind this but I prefer characters from japan so plus isn't miku not a videogame character

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
meh i don't mind this but I prefer characters from japan so plus isn't miku not a videogame character
I feel that it's fine because Miku is in the same sort of gray area R.O.B. is. He was a toy, and he made it in. Miku doesn't really open any floodgates either, because who else is in the same boat she is?

MorbidMiraj

Smash Apprentice
I remember when Smash fans welcomed characters even if they didn't know them. That was nice.

To be fair, back in those days the conditions to join Smash were just 'you gotta be Nintendo', whereas now it's the more subjective 'you gotta be Nintendo or an iconic third party'.
I kind of feel that Sakurai allowing stuff outside Nintendo IPs has been a pandora's box of sorts. Now that anybody can get in, it's turned into a spiteful free-for-all. It's honestly exhausting at times.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm surprised that Monster Hunter isn't super hyped up. It got a lot of representation in Smash, but not a playable rep yet. It has a good history with Nintendo. I think it'd sell like hotcakes. I mean, I think Capcom made the Huntress DLC in MvCI for a reason (it didn't hurt that she was one of the cooler newcomers in an otherwise lackluster roster). It's easily one of their bigger franchises, too. Bonus points for potentially being another playable avatar character with a selectable gender.

Random fact: Smash isn't the first game that Snake fought Rathalos.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I don't think they'd swap the Kingdom Key out for another keyblade. It's probably as iconic as Sora. If they couldn't keep the Hidden Mickey, maybe just replace it with the Smash symbol. The Fatal Fury stage features the Smash logo so it's not like incorporating it into third party designs is impossible.
I agree with this. If Sora gets in he's going to be bringing the Kingdom Key with him. I highly doubt the keychain will need to be changed either.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I feel that it's fine because Miku is in the same sort of gray area R.O.B. is. He was a toy, and he made it in. Miku doesn't really open any floodgates either, because who else is in the same boat she is?
I mean, would you really want people to start campaigning for Clippy or the Duolingo owl? She is from a piece of computer software, but I really wouldn't consider Volcaloid to be more of a game than something like Microsoft Word or Photoshop

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I'd be so down for Byleth being in tbh.

I know it's never going to happen, but if Byleth could summon Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude to attack the opponents as their down B a la Original Zero in KOF/Captain Ginyu in DBFZ, it'd for sure be a day one cop for me.

That'd be a great way to make Byleth stand out from the rest of the FE cast (outside the Sword of the Creator) and have the main lords be involved somehow outside of the obvious stage background cameo.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
SNK games are super popular in Spanish-speaking countries, and still retain a notable presence in Japan. The world of gaming doesn't revolve exclusively around American or European interests.
Wait.

You're telling me that the world doesn't revolve around me and my interests only?

thisguy.png

Get a load of this guy.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm surprised that Monster Hunter isn't super hyped up. It got a lot of representation in Smash, but not a playable rep yet. It has a good history with Nintendo. I think it'd sell like hotcakes. I mean, I think Capcom made the Huntress DLC in MvCI for a reason (it didn't hurt that she was one of the cooler newcomers in an otherwise lackluster roster). It's easily one of their bigger franchises, too. Bonus points for potentially being another playable avatar character with a selectable gender.

Random fact: Smash isn't the first game that Snake fought Rathalos.
I'd rather have a Palico. Maybe they could put in a Monster Hunter with a Palico, though.
I mean, would you really want people to start campaigning for Clippy or the Duolingo owl? She is from a piece of computer software, but I really wouldn't consider Volcaloid to be more of a game than something like Microsoft Word or Photoshop
Clippy would be pretty funny...

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Can I just say that I would absolutely LOVE if we got Japan's Top 5 requested characters? Also, I love that Sora is either 1st or 2nd for every territory.
View attachment 237530

I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with it..I mean, Sora is a character that has only appeared in three things: Video Games, his primary source, and then manga and novel adaptions of those video games. If he's not considered a video game character simply due to interacting with cartoon and movie characters then I'd be surprised and in complete disagreement.
They could also keep the Hidden Mickey keychain on the Kingdom Key since its not a character but rather an icon..but they could also change out the Keyblade for a different one if they wanted to.
>Sora #1 in US and Europe and #2 in Japan

MDsx0S6.jpg

I really hope it's his time guys.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Steve is also at least somewhat popular in Japan based on some other stuff, and of course Bandana Dee.

Also, that list is based on replies to Nintendo’s tweets.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I really just don't understand, why Heavy is doing so well compared to Gordon Freeman. I mean, he's the most obvious Valve character to add. The Heavy is great don't get me wrong, TF2 is probably my favorite multiplayer game ever, but definitely no Heavy until Gordon is in.

D

Deleted member

Can I just say that I would absolutely LOVE if we got Japan's Top 5 requested characters? Also, I love that Sora is either 1st or 2nd for every territory.
View attachment 237530

I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with it..I mean, Sora is a character that has only appeared in three things: Video Games, his primary source, and then manga and novel adaptions of those video games. If he's not considered a video game character simply due to interacting with cartoon and movie characters then I'd be surprised and in complete disagreement.
They could also keep the Hidden Mickey keychain on the Kingdom Key since its not a character but rather an icon..but they could also change out the Keyblade for a different one if they wanted to.
Japan wants Dante, Raiden, and a freaking GUNDAM? That's so ****ing cool.
Too bad people want Sora and Lloyd though.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
If Nintendo felt Terry would draw that much salt, why include him in the first place?
Because Nintendo doesn't give a **** about how a small portion of the already small, core fanbase feels about it when they're going to rake in mass hype and profits from the inclusion of a character.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know that's not the same thing as being in the real deal.
It is pretty close. The characters are made with the same quality. The difference lies in the fact that that pixel art isn't nearly as satisfying to look at as 3D models in a really good artstyle.

EDIT: And the alts are awful but that'll change in the next update.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
One thing I kinda feel like I should call out is the hypocrisy of people saying first party characters wouldn't bring the hype, then blaming people who don't feel hype for Terry as ignorant. Don't get me wrong, I'm very surprised and confused that people apparently don't know Terry, but clearly characters not being massive hypeballs isn't an issue (and it shouldn't be! Terry's great!)
Except Terry is a "massive hypeball" for South America and China, two very real markets for Nintendo to appeal to, alongside the SNK fanbases in America and Japan (who do indeed exist).

Furthermore, there's a difference between not being hyped for Terry and calling him Hat Ken. One's a reasonable, mature response and the other is throwing a hissy fit like a child.
Too bad people want Sora and Lloyd though.
TohruSad.png

Bruh.

Sora and Lloyd are both popular characters and Nintendo could gain a lot from their inclusions. Refer to my Ultimate Square Enix Character Argument and The Definitive Case for Lloyd Irving for fuller explanations.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait what happened to the post?

Last edited by a moderator:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well that Japan list easily wins compared to the other 2. I got a good laugh at the America top 10. Only a few of them are reasonable with the rest being meme picks while the Japan list has 9 out of 10 that are plausible(although a Gundam would be pretty awesome). Plus it has Lloyd at #1 for me.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I really don't care or like them so nah.
Great mother of fast responses. I'll just reply my first post for context:
Bruh.

Sora and Lloyd are both popular characters and Nintendo could gain a lot from their inclusions. Refer to my Ultimate Square Enix Character Argument and The Definitive Case for Lloyd Irving for fuller explanations.
Not liking or wanting a character is one thing.

Saying "too bad that people want this character" is condescending and rude.

Your opinion does not invalidate the opinions of others.

D

Deleted member

Except Terry is a "massive hypeball" for South America and China, two very real markets for Nintendo to appeal to, alongside the SNK fanbases in America and Japan (who do indeed exist).

Furthermore, there's a difference between not being hyped for Terry and calling him Hat Ken. One's a reasonable, mature response and the other is throwing a hissy fit like a child.

View attachment 237545

Bruh.

I really don't care about Lloyd and
Sora. I liked KH but can't stand Sora.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Unpopular opinion: Crash and Spyro haven't been the same since they've been owned by Activision; I think they solely exist to make a quick buck. Remakes aside, I can't think of any good recent games from them in a very long time. I remember when people wanted them in PlayStation All-stars. Back then, the remakes weren't around and Spyro was reduced to a Skylander character (i.e. he was Spyro in name only, IMO), and I knew that they'd use his newer appearance if he actually made it in. Time passed and Smash is different than PSASBR (they'd do the characters justice), but would Activision play ball?

And honestly, I'd rather have their spiritual successor equivalents (Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter), although I doubt any of the 4 has a shot.

>Sora #1 in US and Europe and #2 in Japan

View attachment 237535

I really hope it's his time guys.
Whether he's in or not doesn't concern me, but you know what? I hope he's in for the fans. He's definitely a character that I think can bring a lot to Smash. And for what it's worth, it seems more possible now than ever. Good luck!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Great mother of fast responses. I'll just reply my first post for context:

Not liking or wanting a character is one thing.

Saying "too bad that people want this character" is condescending and rude.

Your opinion does not invalidate the opinions of others.
Well that's just my opinion buddy, I'm not going to discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom