• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think she's very seldom discussed because XCX wasn't exactly THE game for the Wii U (not calling it bad but it wasn't a game people were rushing to buy a Wii U for), as more notably her presence as a Spirit. Flawed debates aside, I think we can safely assume we're not getting any spirits. Why would the game devs go to all that trouble in making a reference to a specific character, if they're just gonna introduce said character later down the line and completely invalidate their work on said spirit?

anti-Spirit Promotion Prophaganda aside Elma would be one of the coolest first/second parties ngl
Spirits are incredibly easy to make.

1). Get a jpeg or png of a character
2). Give jpeg attributes if desired
3). Come up with a funny fight situation for said character (this is probably the hardest part)
4). Profit.

The logic behind "Spirits disconfirm" for Fighters Pass 1 is that negotiations for DLC characters started as early as the game beginning development. Knowing this, the team choosing Spirits would not make Spirits of characters currently in negotiations.

Now that we're getting more DLC beyond Fighters Pass 1, it follows that such a restriction might not apply. Hence, Spirits can be included as DLC characters.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Spirits are incredibly easy to make.

1). Get a jpeg or png of a character
2). Give jpeg attributes if desired
3). Come up with a funny fight situation for said character (this is probably the hardest part)
4). Profit.

The logic behind "Spirits disconfirm" for Fighters Pass 1 is that negotiations for DLC characters started as early as the game beginning development. Knowing this, the team choosing Spirits would not make Spirits of characters currently in negotiations.

Now that we're getting more DLC beyond Fighters Pass 1, it follows that such a restriction might not apply. Hence, Spirits can be included as DLC characters.
But the flaw here is that every character so far wouldn't have necessarily been in the game to begin with. Sure we have Rayman and Shantae as spirits with no other content in the game, but the game was never going to release with Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo and Fatal Fury spirits without raising eyebrows.

COULD we get some upgrades? Absolutely, as you say its a JPEG, nothing is holding them back. Does the current sequence of DLC make me think they will? I lean like 80% no. There's a big dearth of characters who are Spirits who could reasonably be upgraded that don't have significant other roles. Like its Dixie Kong, Elma, Geno and ???. And none of those are as surface level exciting as new 3rd party franchises. Despite me generally wanting more 1st parties.

Right now, the way I've chosen to see it is, spirits deconfirm until they dont.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I find it pretty possible that a character who is already a spirit could get upgraded to a fighter in some possible scenarios.

Some potential choices for that case could be Geno, Elma or Rayman; doh I coun’t unexpect choices too.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I haven't seen a dumber take than 'Kingdom Hearts is a spin-off of the Mickey Mouse franchise for a hot minute. That's 'Super Smash Bros. is a spin-off of Super Mario Bros. because it has Super and Bros. in the title and Mario's in it' levels of ignorance.

SNK stuff is HUGE in China and South America, which Nintendo seems to have struggled getting an audience. And trust me, China money is HUGE, China singlehandedly kept all those ****ty Transformers movies alive

My issue with Sora is that he's so closely tied to the world of Disney that I just find it very hard to imagine him without any Disney stuff surrounding him
The Switch ain't in China yet though.

Also I don't think it takes a lot of imagination to picture Sora without Disney stuff, we've seen it before.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There is a difference, but in this context, in the context of Smash, Sakurai has a lot more power than Disney. At the same time Disney wants Mickey to meet Mario, so perhaps that would behoove them to include their more popular characters in some form, even if it means giving up some money in the short term to make more in the long term.

The biggest disappoint was cloud only getting 2 songs and no spirits. That's why I say Sakurai should go all out so that if Sora gets in it's not similarly disappointing.

Lol I thought that was weird, but I have hope that things can work out better in the future.

Sorry I messed up I didn't mean to imply that. I guess I was trying to say that in world with Sora Donald and Goofy being a package that Sakurai could decide it doesn't work out.
I agree that it was disappointing that Final Fantasy's legacy is so restricted, but one thing about negotiations is simple. The person who started tends to have the least power. It wouldn't matter how much Sakurai wants Sora, Donald and Goofy, Disney gets the final say in the deal regardless of what happens. If they want more than what Sakurai can provide as the budget isn't limitless, they'll say no. As seen with Disney making high demands when negotiating Spiderman movie rights with Sony, they're not really in a position to make demands if they're the ones asking for the thing in the first place

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
At the end of the day I think the only references to Mickey, Donald and Goofy that were gonna get in this hypothetical inclusion is in Sora's classic mode. It's the perfect spot to reference them without fully including the characters

I can fully imagine it in my head, where Sora in about half of the classic mode fights he fights alongside a duck hunt and one of the fights has him fighting a Pikachu with a laser sword

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
The Switch ain't in China yet though.
The Switch's not officially in China. The only way to get the console right now is via grey market imports. This ties into what Chinese gamers want with the official release: No region lock.

The Switch isn’t region locked outside of China, but many gamers already fear that tight censorship could mean they will no longer be able to play Switch games bought outside the country.

“I can still play anywhere in the world if I buy the Hong Kong, Japanese or American version. Buying the Chinese version means bearing the risks of a region lock and game alterations,” wrote one Weibo user.*

“If there’s no region lock, I will buy it on release!” said another.
*(Google Translate does a pretty decent job with Chinese stuff. Some things are difficult to translate, like "Grass Mud Horse", which is an anti-censorship slogan. It's also a "Ur mom".)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I haven't seen a dumber take than 'Kingdom Hearts is a spin-off of the Mickey Mouse franchise for a hot minute. That's 'Super Smash Bros. is a spin-off of Super Mario Bros. because it has Super and Bros. in the title and Mario's in it' levels of ignorance.
Literally nobody was saying that. They were saying the game acts as an adaptation of several Disney properties, which is obviously true. Several Disney properties get adapted per game.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
On a gameplay perspective. Sora does not need Donald & Goofy at all....the idea of Duck Hunt posing as their spirits tho seems pretty cool, if that's as far as that.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Literally nobody was saying that. They were saying the game acts as an adaptation of several Disney properties, which is obviously true. Several Disney properties get adapted per game.
First off, a guy did say that.

Second, calling a crossover of different franchises an adaptation is missing the point so much.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ok so I know y'all hate theories but hear me out on this one I've been thinking of for a while:

The "In Universe Teases" Theory

Ergo, a character's source game making a tease or hint at them being in Smash Bros (meaning company rep statements like Pete Hines's "Oh yeah" don't count, it has to be dialogue or text IN a game). Spirits do NOT count as tease results as it can be assumed they were planned well before DLC planning began, but Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes, and of course playable characters DO count.

Realized Teases:

:ultjoker: - In Persona 5 (2017), Futaba makes a comment at one point like, "This is just like... what's the name of the game? Super Bash Brothers?" One year later, Joker is revealed as Smash Ultimate's first character of the DLC Fighter's Pass.

Rodin (Assist Trophy) - in the Switch port of (I forget if it was Bayonetta 1 or 2), there's a letter from Rodin basically inquiring about a tournament Bayonetta's going to (obviously alluding to Smash) and commenting that maybe he should come along sometime. Later, Rodin is revealed as an Assist Trophy.

Sans (Mii Costume) - in Deltarune, near the end of Chapter 1, Toriel reminisces about Kris and Asriel when they were young, saying the two loved to play a game called "Super Smashing Fighters" and Asriel loved the dino character (a reference to Yoshi). In Smash Ultimate's flavor text proper, there's also a description for one of Toon Link's moves that mentioned "dunked (on)" and "gonna have a bad time" which are dialogue associated with the fight against Sans in Undertale if you're playing the Genocide route. Fast forward to September 4, 2019, and Sans is a Mii Costume, and the only one so far bundled with a standalone music track (a Smash remix of MEGALOVANIA).

Unrealized Teases:

Shantae - in a trailer for one of the new modes of Half Genie Hero Ultimate Edition, Shantae says dialogue along the lines of "I'm gonna have the ULTIMATE slumber party, and EVERYONE'S invited!" This is quite obviously a reference to Smash Ultimate's debut, down to the "EVERYONE IS HERE!" This one could be coincidence, but with how fervently Shantae's been requested, I doubt it.

Bandana Waddle Dee - a flavor text for Kirby Star Allies if you pause when Bandana Dee is the controlled character says something along the lines of "claiming a prize for perfect attendance" and "training somewhere".

Elma - once you unlock Elma in the Land of Challenges in Xenoblade 2 (if you've purchased the Expansion Pass) by defeating her in the challenge "Otherworldly Fighter", the great Nopon Sage says something like "Is true! Is dream of everyone to see Shulk and Elma in same place together!" Followed by Nia asking, "Who the heck is 'everyone' in that sentence?" Once again a reference (slightly more subtle) to the Smash Ultimate debut trailer. The sentence doesn't mention Rex, but Rex has a Mii Costume anyway. Again though, that's just Sakurai deciding to pay Rex tribute as he didn't make the roster.

The above three do have Spirits in Ultimate, but again, I am NOT counting Spirits as the end result of these "teases". If I am missing any let me know, but I believe these in universe teases will ultimately result in something. Shantae could become a Mii Costume, but I doubt any of them would become an Assist Trophy because as far as I know, DLC Assist Trophies aren't a thing and likely won't be.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
First off, a guy did say that.

Second, calling a crossover of different franchises an adaptation is missing the point so much.
A crossover in itself isn't necessarily one. Literally going through each of the films, or a story set in-universe after the film, is by definition adapting those films.

It's not "missing the point," it's completely accurate.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I'm back again with a bunch of chracter that can be added, here see this as a possibility. The only character that is here a wild guess wild card is Mickey I don't know why but I feel that if a character can break the rules of no anime/cartoon character in Smash it's him because I see him as the Mario of the cartoon/anime world. Of course this list represent what I think the overall community wants.

Let's assume that all of these character can be added our actual roster will grow up to 39%, 38% if Sora and Mickey aren't in there. Also I welcome some help to narrow down this roster and pin point the true possible contestant that will be added by Sakurai.

(P.S. Couldn't find good looking smashified icons for Vaati, Panther, Porky, Travis, Prince, Bubble Bobble, 2B, Captain Commando and Fulgore, sorry if they doesn't look great with the other if people have good looking smashified icons sent them by private message to me, thanks in advance.)

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
But the flaw here is that every character so far wouldn't have necessarily been in the game to begin with. Sure we have Rayman and Shantae as spirits with no other content in the game, but the game was never going to release with Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo and Fatal Fury spirits without raising eyebrows.

COULD we get some upgrades? Absolutely, as you say its a JPEG, nothing is holding them back. Does the current sequence of DLC make me think they will? I lean like 80% no. There's a big dearth of characters who are Spirits who could reasonably be upgraded that don't have significant other roles. Like its Dixie Kong, Elma, Geno and ???. And none of those are as surface level exciting as new 3rd party franchises. Despite me generally wanting more 1st parties.

Right now, the way I've chosen to see it is, spirits deconfirm until they dont.
Do I think Spirits being opened up to potential upgrades means we'll be getting a bunch of upgrades?

No. Of course not. The only upgrades I see as remotely likely are Waluigi, Rex & Pyra, and Geno.

But the argument isn't about getting Spirit upgrades. It's about the possibility of Spirit upgrades, which is now possible.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
It's also semantics, and you know what we mean, you're just being obtuse.
I think the main issue others (and myself) have with this statement is that the story of Kingdom Hearts isn’t about the adaption of Disney properties, when that is just a small part of the greater whole. The story of Kingdom Hearts can be told with the Disney worlds mostly excluded, for that reason I wouldn’t call it an adaption.

D

Deleted member

Do I think Spirits being opened up to potential upgrades means we'll be getting a bunch of upgrades?

No. Of course not. The only upgrades I see as remotely likely are Waluigi, Rex & Pyra, and Geno.

But the argument isn't about getting Spirit upgrades. It's about the possibility of Spirit upgrades, which is now possible.
I think two other potential spirit upgrades would be Rayman and Elma.

Doh as you said, the only thing we can be more sure about is the possibility and not what will happen.

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think two other potential spirit upgrades would be Rayman and Elma.

Doh as you said, the only thing we can be more sure about is the possibility and not what will happen.
If this were Sm4sh speculation I'd agree, but:

Rayman got powercrept hard by the current DLC character meta. He just doesn't line up with absolute all-stars of gaming on the table right now.

Elma sits behind Rex & Pyra for her spot given XCX's middle-child syndrome and now being one of the only Wii U exclusives trapped on the platform.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
ok so I know y'all hate theories but hear me out on this one I've been thinking of for a while:

Ergo, a character's source game making a tease or hint at them being in Smash Bros (meaning company rep statements like Pete Hines's "Oh yeah" don't count, it has to be dialogue or text IN a game). Spirits do NOT count as tease results as it can be assumed they were planned well before DLC planning began, but Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes, and of course playable characters DO count.

Realized Teases:

:ultjoker: - In Persona 5 (2017), Futaba makes a comment at one point like, "This is just like... what's the name of the game? Super Bash Brothers?" One year later, Joker is revealed as Smash Ultimate's first character of the DLC Fighter's Pass.

Rodin (Assist Trophy) - in the Switch port of (I forget if it was Bayonetta 1 or 2), there's a letter from Rodin basically inquiring about a tournament Bayonetta's going to (obviously alluding to Smash) and commenting that maybe he should come along sometime. Later, Rodin is revealed as an Assist Trophy.

Sans (Mii Costume) - in Deltarune, near the end of Chapter 1, Toriel reminisces about Kris and Asriel when they were young, saying the two loved to play a game called "Super Smashing Fighters" and Asriel loved the dino character (a reference to Yoshi). In Smash Ultimate's flavor text proper, there's also a description for one of Toon Link's moves that mentioned "dunked (on)" and "gonna have a bad time" which are dialogue associated with the fight against Sans in Undertale if you're playing the Genocide route. Fast forward to September 4, 2019, and Sans is a Mii Costume, and the only one so far bundled with a standalone music track (a Smash remix of MEGALOVANIA).

Unrealized Teases:

Shantae - in a trailer for one of the new modes of Half Genie Hero Ultimate Edition, Shantae says dialogue along the lines of "I'm gonna have the ULTIMATE slumber party, and EVERYONE'S invited!" This is quite obviously a reference to Smash Ultimate's debut, down to the "EVERYONE IS HERE!" This one could be coincidence, but with how fervently Shantae's been requested, I doubt it.

Bandana Waddle Dee - a flavor text for Kirby Star Allies if you pause when Bandana Dee is the controlled character says something along the lines of "claiming a prize for perfect attendance" and "training somewhere".

Elma - once you unlock Elma in the Land of Challenges in Xenoblade 2 (if you've purchased the Expansion Pass) by defeating her in the challenge "Otherworldly Fighter", the great Nopon Sage says something like "Is true! Is dream of everyone to see Shulk and Elma in same place together!" Followed by Nia asking, "Who the heck is 'everyone' in that sentence?" Once again a reference (slightly more subtle) to the Smash Ultimate debut trailer. The sentence doesn't mention Rex, but Rex has a Mii Costume anyway. Again though, that's just Sakurai deciding to pay Rex tribute as he didn't make the roster.

The above three do have Spirits in Ultimate, but again, I am NOT counting Spirits as the end result of these "teases". If I am missing any let me know, but I believe these in universe teases will ultimately result in something. Shantae could become a Mii Costume, but I doubt any of them would become an Assist Trophy because as far as I know, DLC Assist Trophies aren't a thing and likely won't be.
I'm not so sure that "Shulk and Elma" thing is really a reference to Smash. It just seems like a small joke about "everyone" (as in do all the people actually care about seeing Shulk and Elam together) that is pretty far removed from "Everyone is Here" and anything Smash related.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I'm not so sure that "Shulk and Elma" thing is really a reference to Smash. It just seems like a small joke about "everyone" (as in do all the people actually care about seeing Shulk and Elam together) that is pretty far removed from "Everyone is Here" and anything Smash related.
If it really was just a general thing, they could've just included Rex in that line, considering that he's included in the big Xenoblade protagonist group shot. But he isn't.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If it really was just a general thing, they could've just included Rex in that line, considering that he's included in the big Xenoblade protagonist group shot. But he isn't.
also, why would Nia specifically ask who the "everyone" in the sentence is, if it was just meant to be a general thing?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
also, why would Nia specifically ask who the "everyone" in the sentence is, if it was just meant to be a general thing?
Not that I don't think it's a good point. But it's called 4th wall breaking.
Nia is juste reacting to that 4th wall breaking

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think the main issue others (and myself) have with this statement is that the story of Kingdom Hearts isn’t about the adaption of Disney properties, when that is just a small part of the greater whole. The story of Kingdom Hearts can be told with the Disney worlds mostly excluded, for that reason I wouldn’t call it an adaption.
Sora could easily be represented without Disney. It's too easy really.

• Dive to the Heart
  • World That Never Was
  • Keyblade Graveyard
  • Twilight Town
  • Traverse Town
  • Scala ad Caelum
  • Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden
  • Land of Departure
  • Castle Oblivion
  • Terra
  • Aqua
  • Ventus
  • Riku
  • Riku Replica
  • Dark Form Riku
  • Kairi
  • Roxas
  • Axel/Lea
  • Xion
  • Any Heartless (Shadow, Soldier, and Darkside come to mind)
  • Any Nobody (Dusks, Samurai, Twilight Thorn come to mind)
  • Anyone from Organization 13 (The entirety of Organization 13 could easily be a Legendary Spirit)
  • Ansem
  • Xemnas
  • Xehanort
  • Vanitas
  • Xehanort
  • Terranort
  • Lingering Will
There's way too much music to list here.

Point is, Kingdom Hearts as a series has built up enough original content to properly represent itself in Smash.

Bloxicon

Smash Rookie
I actually played toontown many years ago LOL. Probably not going to be this guy since it’s owned by Disney. If anything Mickey would be the first Disney character to be put in. But nice try with the sarcasm sweetie!
Not to sound rude, but why do you think I was being sarcastic?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Realized Teases:

Unrealized Teases:

Not gonna lie, this gives me "Geno is in because the newcomers are hinting to Geno" vibes

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I'm back again with a bunch of chracter that can be added, here see this as a possibility. The only character that is here a wild guess wild card is Mickey I don't know why but I feel that if a character can break the rules of no anime/cartoon character in Smash it's him because I see him as the Mario of the cartoon/anime world. Of course this list represent what I think the overall community wants.

Let's assume that all of these character can be added our actual roster will grow up to 39%, 38% if Sora and Mickey aren't in there. Also I welcome some help to narrow down this roster and pin point the true possible contestant that will be added by Sakurai.

(P.S. Couldn't find good looking smashified icons for Vaati, Panther, Porky, Travis, Prince, Bubble Bobble, 2B, Captain Commando and Fulgore, sorry if they doesn't look great with the other if people have good looking smashified icons sent them by private message to me, thanks in advance.)
Great list, though I would add Crono and anyone else that's on my supports lists that's not on yours. Also, take out Mickey.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Sora could easily be represented without Disney. It's too easy really.

• Dive to the Heart
  • World That Never Was
  • Keyblade Graveyard
  • Twilight Town
  • Traverse Town
  • Scala ad Caelum
  • Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden
  • Land of Departure
  • Castle Oblivion
  • Terra
  • Aqua
  • Ventus
  • Riku
  • Riku Replica
  • Dark Form Riku
  • Kairi
  • Roxas
  • Axel/Lea
  • Xion
  • Any Heartless (Shadow, Soldier, and Darkside come to mind)
  • Any Nobody (Dusks, Samurai, Twilight Thorn come to mind)
  • Anyone from Organization 13 (The entirety of Organization 13 could easily be a Legendary Spirit)
  • Ansem
  • Xemnas
  • Xehanort
  • Vanitas
  • Xehanort
  • Terranort
  • Lingering Will
There's way too much music to list here.

Point is, Kingdom Hearts as a series has built up enough original content to properly represent itself in Smash.
Putting Radiant garden in Smash is the perfect opportunity to add One winged angel to the game.

Sakurai pls

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'd add Edelgard.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

The entire Metroid fandom is going to beat you to death if you have Adam ****ing Malkovich there so get rid of him

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

needs more Elma, KOS-MOS and Octoling

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

Nice list of characters you got there.

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Literally over half of these characters have near 0 chances of getting in.

Wart? Kamek? Literally any Kirby, Donkey Kong, Starfox, Earthbound, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, or flavor of the week Legend of Zelda character? Obscure Nintendo picks like Bubble Bobble, Mach Rider, Wonder Red and (as much as it hurts to say it) Ray MK and Chibi-Robo? Kratos? Sub-Zero? Captain Commando? Klonoa?

None of them are happening.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I was going to comment on how paltry the first-party section looks without ATs, but then I noticed Ghirahim and Phosphora are there. So now I'm just confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom