• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Lemme hear your September Nintendo Direct wishlists.

Mine:

- Rare Replay on Switch
- SNES Games
- Overwatch
- Mario Odyssey/Sunshine news
- If they reveal Banjo gameplay give us Dragon Kazooie
DLC pack 4 reveal consisting of Kyo Kusanagi with costumes from all 4 sagas, Japan Street or Osaka at Night stage and a ton of music across every KOF saga.

That's it, that's the post.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Assuming the 4chan posts are not just a guy lying, what are the odds the female character with a mecha is Mechanica from ARMS?
Not likely at all. Poster mascot Springman's an assist and second mascot Ribbon Girl is nowhere to be found. Usually the face of a franchise is the first to represent it so I don't see her getting in before the two mascots.

True that Twintelle and Min Min are more popular due to their designs (Twintelle's design gimmick is very clever), though waifuism definitely plays a big role in their popularity as well, it's a mixed bag.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
5. Sami or Andy (or both) with an Advance wars stage ( I don't really know this franchises so I don't have idea of specific location)
Ah, a true man of culture. Personally I'd prefer Andy (face of the series, a really good CO for gameplay alone, good moveset potential) as a rep but Sami seems to be a lot more popular (I blame Project M, ain't mad tho)
What would even be the general reaction of Reimu in Smash? I literally never heard people talking seriously about her outside of 4chan (and even on 4chan it's hard to say if they are serious or not).
To be completley upfront and honest
I'd be genuinely angered about this. I'm not one who insists Indies shouldn't be in Smash, but Reimu would not only be a literal who in the west (literally the only times I hear about the series is in reference to people wanting her in sometimes, even on /v/) but a kind of lame character. Contrast her to the other Indies tossed around a lot (ignore deconfirmations for now):
Shovel Knight: an armored (swole if Blade Strangers is canon) viking of sorts that wields a shovel and several other unusual weapon choices, like an anchor. Inspired by classic Mega Man and the first (I believe) non-smash character to get an Amibo.
Shantae: genie dancer who can bend and reform her body into various animals, several of which are fictional. uses swords as shields.
Quote: humanoid android with vast firearm knowledge and (again) user of unusual weapons such as snakes, lightning bolts, or even bubbles or ghost swords
Reimu: human girl who's popular for being the protagonist of a bullet hell game series.
Maybe I haven't seen it all but Reimu, and Touhou as a whole, seems to be known in the states entirely because of loli fans. Maybe I'm making a general claim but I haven't seen a single Reimu supporter who isn't that sort of person. Sorry in advance if this plucks any strings.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not likely at all. Poster mascot Springman's an assist and second mascot Ribbon Girl is nowhere to be found. Usually the face of a franchise is the first to represent it so I don't see her getting in before the two mascots.

True that Twintelle and Min Min are more popular due to their designs (Twintelle's design gimmick is very clever), though waifuism definitely plays a big role in their popularity as well, it's a mixed bag.
Ribbon Girl’s a Mii costume iirc

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
What if this mysterious female character that will "confuse" alot of people... is Frisk? Hear me out: Frisk isn't a boy or girl (and could deff be taken as a girl at face value). While Undertale is pretty requested, Im sure that an Undertale addition to Smash would confuse the hell out of the general population.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So since this DLC pass is looking to be exclusively 3rd party, what if the hypothetical season 2 was exclusively Nintendo? What fighters would you want? I was thinking:

1. Byleth with Garreg Mach Monastery
2. Adeleine and Ribbon with Ripple Star
3. Tingle with Clock Town
4. DeMille with Spillville
5. Rex and Pyra with XC2 stage (or something)
1. Captain Toad with Wingo's Watchtower. Lightning rains down as you climb the tower(probably on the platform as vertical scrollers kinda stink)
2. Dixie Kong with Busted Bayou. Similar to flat zone, the model textures are tweaked so only certain body parts are highlighted. May be tricky to work with but would be incredibly stylish.
3. Bandana Dee with Castle Dedede. Hordes of Dees, Doos and various other creatures run across the stage delivering food packages. They can be KO'd similar to Shy Guy on the Mario Kart stage.
4. Impa with Kakariko Village. I'll be honest I haven't a reason for this particular stage. Just has a nice aesthetic.
5. Meowth with Pokefloats 2. Return the god damn floats. Yes, it's a gimmicky stage, no I don't care, it's still more fun than 75M.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Doesn't the post say that the character isn't requested and people would be disappointed and confused to why they were chosen though?
That could apply to any ARMS character. I think the difference between the likelihood Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, or Min Min and that of Mechanica is greater than the advantage "not requested" gives the latter.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah, a true man of culture. Personally I'd prefer Andy (face of the series, a really good CO for gameplay alone, good moveset potential) as a rep but Sami seems to be a lot more popular (I blame Project M, ain't mad tho)

I'd be genuinely angered about this. I'm not one who insists Indies shouldn't be in Smash, but Reimu would not only be a literal who in the west (literally the only times I hear about the series is in reference to people wanting her in sometimes, even on /v/) but a kind of lame character. Contrast her to the other Indies tossed around a lot (ignore deconfirmations for now):
Shovel Knight: an armored (swole if Blade Strangers is canon) viking of sorts that wields a shovel and several other unusual weapon choices, like an anchor. Inspired by classic Mega Man and the first (I believe) non-smash character to get an Amibo.
Shantae: genie dancer who can bend and reform her body into various animals, several of which are fictional. uses swords as shields.
Quote: humanoid android with vast firearm knowledge and (again) user of unusual weapons such as snakes, lightning bolts, or even bubbles or ghost swords
Reimu: human girl who's popular for being the protagonist of a bullet hell game series.
Maybe I haven't seen it all but Reimu, and Touhou as a whole, seems to be known in the states entirely because of loli fans. Maybe I'm making a general claim but I haven't seen a single Reimu supporter who isn't that sort of person. Sorry in advance if this plucks any strings.
Toad was the first non-Smash character to get an amiibo. Shovel Knight was the first non-Smash third party character to get one.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Touhou is not just some loli game, only if you look at only ZUNs art can you maybe think that. A lot of the girls are older teens or older women.

But there is a lot to pull from for touhou. They dont just have bullet hell games, but fightong games too. Reimu could have a unique projectile and aerial based combat that could be unique.

Jesus...all these Nintendo Pass lists show exactly why a Nintendo Pass would suck.
Way to be a negitive nancy. Whats wrong with our suggestions? What would your better nintendo pass be?

D

Deleted member

Since no one has seem to have brought it up on here yet, PushDustin put out a twitter thread of a translation to Sakurai talking about the video presentation on Hero:

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1166734483199913985

The biggest part about the translation is how it's implying we won't get anymore presentations similar to that of Joker's since video editing conflicts with development time. What I wonder now is how Banjo-Kazooie [and the next 2 fighters when they get revealed] will be presented next. Will they get presented similarly to how Hero was? Will Nintendo post more info on them and Smash related content VIA Twitter? Will they even be shadow dropped?

Also to add note, it's crazy how Sakurai had to work through the whole video with a hurt hand. Dude's a trooper for being able to pull it off, but it's still concerning to hear about the kind of things he has to go through for his games.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So since this DLC pass is looking to be exclusively 3rd party, what if the hypothetical season 2 was exclusively Nintendo? What fighters would you want? I was thinking:

1. Byleth with Garreg Mach Monastery
2. Adeleine and Ribbon with Ripple Star
3. Tingle with Clock Town
4. DeMille with Spillville
5. Rex and Pyra with XC2 stage (or something)
Alright, I’m down.

Which ones I want:

1. Mike Jones with Zoda’s ship
2. Fawful with Beanbean Kingdom
3. Vaati with Tower of Winds
4. Nester/Lark with Funky Virtual Boy
5. Min Min with Ramen Bowl

Which ones I think actually have a snowball’s chance in heck of happening:

1. Impa with Kakariko Village
2. Gen VIII starter 3rd evolution with Galar stage
3. Rex & Pyra with “Gramps” as the stage.
4. Byleth and Monastary
5. Captain Toad and Wingo stage

-

Nintendecho pass

1. Octoling (Inkling)
2. Dixie Kong (Diddy with DK’s upB)
3. Alolan Raichu (Pikachu Echo.)
4. Gooey (Kirby Echo with Yoshi’s B to inhale)
5. Dry Bowser (Bowser Echo)

-

Pirahna Plant style Minion Pass

1. Hammer Bros.
2. Moblin
3. Waddle Dee (Bandana as a costume and majority of moveset inspiration)
4. Team Rocket Grunt (Raticate, Koffing, and Arbok)
5. Glass Joe (not a minion, but he’s Glass Joe).

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Seems doubtful. Is she even that popular among it? Isn't Twintelle the most popular as is after you remove any factors related to Spring Man and Ribbon Girl(that, I think Twintelle beats them out in popularity too).
Makes you wonder what asset Twintelle has that makes her so popular.
Maybe, but it's hard to tell why they where cut from Smash 4 and why he didn't bring them back like with Chrom. Maybe Sakurai just change his mind and think that the franchise is not popular enough outside of Japan. I hope one day he will acknowledge the fact that they where cut and explain why in an interview or something, but I guess we will never know.
I guess the 3 bigger Nintendo stars and 3 ballot winners (and the "special" character) were prioritised over the smaller, more niche series for Smash Ultimate's newcomers. Was there something Sakurai said about "everyone on the project plan being accounted for" somewhere? If so, he must have decided as far back as the 2015/2016 planning to pass on reattempting the ol' Rhythm Paradise character idea from the then-recent Smash 4 development period. And this would have been amidst the latest release of the series kinda like how Smash 4's Project Plan was near Fever's release, so it's not like the series would have been anymore of an inactive inclusion at that point than it would have been for Smash 4 (even now with Tsunku stating openness to making a new Rhythm Paradise game, it's not like there's a current blockade at Nintendo against more Rhythm Paradise?). And previously considered but unused Smash characters usually have a pretty good shot at being in the next game (Marth, Mewtwo and Bowser in 64, Wario, Sonic, Snake and Lucas in Melee, and Pac-Man, Miis and Villager in Brawl), with some of the ones that still didn't perhaps having issue with a second shot because they missed the window of relevancy (assuming the identities are correct, Plusle and Minum, Toon Zelda/Sheik?). And further assuming Piranha Plant was supposed to be a part of the base game but was instead made DLC (though this totally could have not been the case?), they could have prioritised the special, surprise character over a Rhythm Paradise representative, though that amount of newcomers would have ended up putting them over their limit anyway then.

So, perhaps there was simply no room for a RP character amidst the other choices that were way more popular, either generally in the public or in terms of the Ballot. That and/or there was a Ridley-esque difficulty in getting the presumably-rhythm-fitting-character to perform the way Sakurai envisioned in a way appropriate for balance, input latency and just plain non-broken Smash Bros in general, even if he had already thought of moveset ideas as he put in a RP character in the Smash 4 plan (even though there are timed moves in the game already, like Incineroar's Side B you could maybe pass off as a a rhythmic thing, though not to an extent of being part of several important moves in a rhythmic moveset, which could maybe turn off newbie players as you have to do all these rhythmic input things correctly amidst unrelated music in order to get the highest damage percent or however it would have worked, whilst maybe other characters' gimmicks like Joker's aren't that demanding of the player and are on stuff that isn't perhaps disassociated from Smash Bros gameplay to whatever degree). I could take solace if it was the latter and a total non-negotiability, unlike how Ridley finally got in with solution to his problems, but could you say it's ambiguous as to whether that's the case or not knowing what we know now?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Since no one has seem to have brought it up on here yet, PushDustin put out a twitter thread of a translation to Sakurai talking about the video presentation on Hero:

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1166734483199913985

The biggest part about the translation is how it's implying we won't get anymore presentations similar to that of Joker's since video editing conflicts with development time. What I wonder now is how Banjo-Kazooie [and the next 2 fighters when they get revealed] will be presented next. Will they get presented similarly to how Hero was? Will Nintendo post more info on them and Smash related content VIA Twitter? Will they even be shadow dropped?

Also to add note, it's crazy how Sakurai had to work through the whole video with a hurt hand. Dude's a trooper for being able to pull it off, but it's still concerning to hear about the kind of things he has to go through for his games.
What a shame, I really like the character presentations that go into more depths over the characters. But I understand the necessity to replace them if they take too much time from development.

In other news, it's been a month since Hero got released. Do any of you believe we'll get information on the next fighter before Banjo gets released?

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
I don't think Marth and Roy really counts as promotional pick because Sakurai is the one that was pushing for Marth in Melee. If Nintendo would have wanted Marth for promotion, they would have just accept it with no discussion. You could see Corrin has a promotional character, but I don't think that was Sakurai intentions, he just wanted a character from one of the most recent Nintendo games because DLC was a new opportunity for him.

Sure indirectly these characters inclusion might have helped their franchises, but I honestly don't think this was their first goal.
Good point for Marth. Though, since Roy's game hadn't been released yet, you could argue that his inclusion helped promote Fire Emblem 6.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Here's my Nintendo Fighter Pass wishlist, excluding spirits.

1. Sylux
2. Byleth
3. Grookey's final evolution
4. The Neuron Officer and Legion from Astral Chain
5. The thing from Retro's upcoming new game.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I'm not even a Touhou fan but man I don't know how you came to that impression. I know plenty of people who are fans and I'm pretty sure they're not lolicons.

Also the comparison with the other Indies is moot since you can also describe Reimu in a similar outlandish way to make her stand out. Standard human doesn't even begin to describe Touhou Lore. Would you say Mario is just 'Human guy who's popular for being the protagonist of a platformer'?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
In other news, it's been a month since Hero got released. Do any of you believe we'll get information on the next fighter before Banjo gets released?
Possibly. If there is a September Direct before Banjo, I think we're getting a short gameplay trailer for the next character, along with a reminder (like the one Joker got) that Banjo releases in fall.

I mean... if we get nothing in that scenario, we might have to wait until November for news, since I really doubt they'd reveal fighter #4 in Banjo's overview video.

Prince777

NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Also, I'm pretty sure that Chorus Kids will be in eventually. They seem to have more priority than Karate Joe. As someone else pointed out, Sakurai probably has had issues developing a consistent fighting style for them since Smash 4.

The trio and Reimu are among my top 5 most wanted, in fact.
Shes extremely popular in Japan and Tohou has A LOT dedicated to it there; she's also been in an official crossover with Kirby and Dedede. All of this certainly aids her chances.

The only hurdle that remains in her inclusion at this point is ZUN himself. IIRC, he's reluctant about giving the rights of his franchise/characters to big companies, but allows individuals and small time developers to use his content as they please, without any hesitation even.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Seems doubtful. Is she even that popular among it? Isn't Twintelle the most popular as is after you remove any factors related to Spring Man and Ribbon Girl(that, I think Twintelle beats them out in popularity too).
Min Min won the last Party Crash with Ninjara in second. Min Min is most popular but Ninjara is considered the best competitively.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I do think we’ll have a trailer or announcement of Fighter 4 before the Banjo overview video in the September Direct. I could also see a scenario where the Sept. Direct gives the release date of the next Smash overview/Direct with no Smash info in the Sept. Direct. In which case, the Smash Direct would give an overview of Banjo and end with the announcement of Fighter 4.

D

Deleted member

Its never good to catalogue a fanbase based on fetishes, you could say the same of other characters in the roster already and its just funny to me that Reimu is an issue due to the fans while Shantae isn't one.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I do think we’ll have a trailer or announcement of Fighter 4 before the Banjo overview video in the September Direct. I could also see a scenario where the Sept. Direct gives the release date of the next Smash overview/Direct with no Smash info in the Sept. Direct. In which case, the Smash Direct would give an overview of Banjo and end with the announcement of Fighter 4.
Why though? Looking back we can see how unlikely that is. These things are spread out. Was Hero/Banjo revealed before the Joker overview trailer? No. I don't think we'll see who Fighter 4 is until after Banjo is released.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
I've played only one Touhou game, way back then, when the rickroll and the mc'roll were all the rage. It turned out that that weird but catchy music that was used in the mc'roll video came from this certain game called Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil, so me and a friend of mine, we just had to play it. Bullet hells are not your usual game, but I had fun with it.

Now what I think of Touhou in Smash? I'd be on board, honestly. Bullet hell mechanics could be fun to see in the game. Also Reimu would be pretty dinstinct from the rest of the cast, aesthetically. And above all, it'd bring some really good tunes.
It's veeeeeeeeeery unlikely, though.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So there's a new rumor around... as always, no proofs, just a rumor, but still better than nothing.

I just wonder if the "female character with not much demand" rumor and the "rides a mech" rumor are from the same person, or if the second one is someone else who's piggybacking the overwatch leak pointing at D.va for credibility (the "mech" part comes from a separate thread that got locked after few posts).

zferolie

Smash Hero
So there's a new rumor around... as always, no proofs, just a rumor, but still better than nothing.

I just wonder if the "female character with not much demand" rumor and the "rides a mech" rumor are from the same person, or if the second one is someone else who's piggybacking the overwatch leak pointing at D.va for credibility (the "mech" part comes from a separate thread that got locked after few posts).
I think the mech part was added by a random guy to get people to talk about overwatch.

And guys, overwatch is not happening in this smash cycle. Every character in smash has had their series represented on nintendo in the past. Even joker, woth the SMT games counts, and cloud with FF in general, and Hero with DQ in general.

Overwatch is not on nintendo yet. They may be soon, but no character in smash has only had there series on a nintendo system for barely any time.

People are just grasping at overwatch for smash just because overwatch is most likely coming to the switch.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet

It's not, you can see that they have different posting patterns, first post was punctuated and broken down and the second one runs in the same sentence
In any case, I think they were already debunked by insiders

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I'd put Doomguy at 50% with a lot of ifs and buts

I have no idea how big Doom is in Japan. Is it a cornerstone of gaming or a trivia footnote?
Shooters in general have never made many waves in Japan. Also, Doom was also specifically a cornerstone of PC gaming first and foremost, and I could be way off base but I don't think PC gaming ever held a candle to arcades and consoles in Japan.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Jesus...all these Nintendo Pass lists show exactly why a Nintendo Pass would suck.
Keep in mind that these are wishlists and not necessarily a set of characters that would appeal to a wide audience that would normally be picked.

Do any of you believe we'll get information on the next fighter before Banjo gets released?
I don't.

Prince777

NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
I gotta agree actually. The characters listed in a majority of these wish list don't really entice me. A Nintendo Fighters pass would could be great, but for some reason, I'd mostly prefer third parties to see how much outside inclusion we can get. They're generally a lot more exciting, generate more hype, and tend to sell a lot more opposed to first/second parties.

Nintendo characters are fine and all, but there's probably other things we should focus on first. More echoes and additional costumes would be a fun bonus that would help tie in loose ends and satisfy the general demographic.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Shooters in general have never made many waves in Japan. Also, Doom was also specifically a cornerstone of PC gaming first and foremost, and I could be way off base but I don't think PC gaming ever held a candle to arcades and consoles in Japan.
Throw in the gore of some entries and you basically have a series that ticks all three boxes to not do well in Japan. Doomguy would need to be marketable as an individual character and he likely wouldn't sell well in Japan, despite most people getting the whole Pass.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Going back to characters discussion, my biggest surprise with Smash Ultimate was Rayman not appearing in the game. This was crazy with Ubisoft's relationship to Nintendo and him having trophies in Smash 4. Plus Rayman would have a very unique moveset and comes from a popular series. The fact that he hasn't made an appearance has floored me and would be one of the first questions that I would ask Sakurai about Smash Ultimate.

This and the Adventure Mode are probably my only real disappointments for what is in many ways a perfect game.

I hated the first DLC character, Joker. To be honest, it was mostly due to aesthetics as I thought the character looked stupid. I was in Gamestop getting my game when people mentioned Joker. I thought they were talking about Batman. I was slightly bitter at that time too because of the Grinch Leak as I wanted it to be true.

However, Banjo, stage builder, and getting the Knuckles + Tails Mii Costume back has really cheered me up. I also love Hero as a character as well and I am interested in trying DQ now. So 2 out of the 3 DLC characters have been fun.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Going back to characters discussion, my biggest surprise with Smash Ultimate was Rayman not appearing in the game. This was crazy with Ubisoft's relationship to Nintendo and him having trophies in Smash 4. Plus Rayman would have a very unique moveset and comes from a popular series. The fact that he hasn't made an appearance has floored me and would be one of the first questions that I would ask Sakurai about Smash Ultimate.
I think Rayman is not in because of his lak of popularity in Japan. From what I've heard Rayman legends for example has sold very poorly in Japan, even after re-release (and re-re-release).

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Also, I'm pretty sure that Chorus Kids will be in eventually. They seem to have more priority than Karate Joe. As someone else pointed out, Sakurai probably has had issues developing a consistent fighting style for them since Smash 4.

The trio and Reimu are among my top 5 most wanted, in fact.
Shes extremely popular in Japan and Tohou has A LOT dedicated to it there; she's also been in an official crossover with Kirby and Dedede. All of this certainly aids her chances.

The only hurdle that remains in her inclusion at this point is ZUN himself. IIRC, he's reluctant about giving the rights of his franchise/characters to big companies, but allows individuals and small time developers to use his content as they please, without any hesitation even.
Connections go deeper than that tbf if you really wanna dig.

The game Reimu and Kirby crossed over was a Taiko Drum Master game developed by Namco.

Nintendo (And Sega) have both sold Touhou albums at Reitaisai (An annual Touhou convention). In Turn, Nintendo also had purchased a license for the music in December of 2015.

Source: https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,19472.msg1252539.html#msg1252539

Also worth mentioning that ZUN is also very open to working closer with Nintendo.

Source: http://theylivewesleep.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-50.html?sp

Pertinent Translation said:
Z: "Wowwow Well ... in the future ... Well ... I wish I could make a good talk with Nintendo-san, it was today's broadcast that makes me feel such a dream."
Z: "I want to make friends with Nintendo, not only Sony is making friends"
Z: "Because Toho is not so much something, there is a healthy Toho world"
Not that any of this makes it likely, but it's fun info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom