• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ze9

Smash Ace
You're not being greedy by wanting more than just the five fighters in the Fighter Pass.
Exactly. I mean... We're paying for those characters.
And also, it's just more content, more fun and thus a longer life for our favorite game. Can't really see how or why you could spin this negatively.
I know I'm not getting off the hype train until I get Dixie.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Do you believe that Vergeben has new sources with info for the 4th fighter in the fighters pass?
We don't know. Verge hasn't said anything since E3, and only one of his claims (that there will be Minecraft content) remains unproven.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
We don't know. Verge hasn't said anything since E3, and only one of his claims (that there will be Minecraft content) remains unproven.
He made a comment on the 4chan rumour today saying, that at the very least, the mecha part of it is fake. So I'd assume he is aware of something, but won't say anything more concrete unless he can verify from multiple sources.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I am interested to hear what Verge has to say about the two remaining DLC fighters. I think the dude is a bit of a sour person myself but I can't deny he's been spot on most of this cycle. Can't help but wonder though if the last two are kept so well under raps that no one really knows who it is. Anything credible come out lately?

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
At the end of the day, it's all bias. I'm looking at all the 3rd parties others are bringing up and I get the same reaction as you for Nintendo characters. I see no reason for Doom guy to be in Smash. I see no reason for an RE character to join or even anyone else from Capcom for that matter. To me, it feels like it's obligatory "Because they are successful they need to be in". That isn't how roster selection has ever worked. There are people who don't like the current fighters pass, so you obviously can't please everyone. Not everything has to be "OMG Break the Internet hype!" and this is a lesson I hope gets learned by the next two characters in the Fighters pass.
To an extent it's all bias sure. You could say including Mario, Link and Pikachu was bias.

But reasonably speaking I disagree. I've never played Doom. I've never played Advance Wars. Yet I can look at Doom, and look at Advance Wars, and say just from a common sense standpoint that one of these series getting in is a much bigger deal than the other. And that's what I mean when I say a Nintendo pass is underwhelming.The selections aren't as big a deal compared to the ones we're looking at for a third party pass.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Breaking the internet I don't think is the main point of the pass more so that it's to bring in even more fans to Smash Bros. that weren't originally. I think Hero will do a lot for the Smash fanbase in Japan. Do I necessarily think that Joker or Banjo are going to bring in a giant audience? No, but those two definitely did something that no one expects and I think that says a lot. No one expected a character from a Playstation Exclusive RPG that came out the year prior to get announced for Smash Bros. because people thought that he was A) Too Recent B) Not big enough or C) Just didn't care for him. Banjo was a Nintendo character that swapped hands in the shuffle of Rare and is finally back so for fans since the N64, like myself, and earlier this is a big deal for us to finally get solidarity that Banjo is a part of the Nintendo family. If we're going by that standard of doing things the general public, and even us, doesn't expect I suspect the Doom Slayer is absolutely going to fit that bill. A bullet loaded, spin ripping, space marine from a series that helped form the ESRB due to its uncensored violence and yet helped grandfather in the most popular genre in video games? I dunno. That just screams Smash material to me, and no one without the Smash fandom will really see it coming.

That being said I'm not 100% sold that Doom Slayer is a lock, I think he's highly likely but I also don't think he's likely to be next. If I were to make a prediction I would say that Banjo is next, in October, then we would see the next character in December, and then we'd get an announcement of the Doom Slayer at The Game Awards. My personal bet is Hayabusa in December because he fills in a role of NES Legend that the Fighters Pass is unlikely to get otherwise. That's just my prediction though.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Doomguy is a really great choice. He just fits perfectly on so many levels: great significance in videogames' history, modern relevance, proximity to Nintendo (both in console presence and in design philosophies), a radically different aesthetic that's not present in Smash at all, great moveset potential, incredible surprise factor (even with all the speculation and the hints)...
The other speculated 3rd picks don't excite me as much. Maybe just Crash and Reimu.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Doomguy is a really great choice. He just fits perfectly on so many levels: great significance in videogames' history, modern relevance, proximity to Nintendo (both in console presence and in design philosophies), a radically different aesthetic that's not present in Smash at all, great moveset potential, incredible surprise factor (even with all the speculation and the hints)...
The other speculated 3rd picks don't excite me as much. Maybe just Crash and Reimu.
How do you make Doomguy brand safe?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Exactly. I mean... We're paying for those characters.
And also, it's just more content, more fun and thus a longer life for our favorite game. Can't really see how or why you could spin this negatively.
I know I'm not getting off the hype train until I get Dixie.
I wish we could get Dixie in Ultimate... but I just don't see that happening. Smash 6 is looking brighter for her inclusion in the Smash series.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Doomguy would probably have his old school and new look. Maybe as an easter egg if you play with his classic look on his level his status icon will change to his face from the classoc version and even emote depending on hiw the battle goes.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I'm honestly keeping my fingers crossed that Banjo comes with a Minecraft costume just so Vergeben's track record remains fairly strong (its always fun to have a legit leaker guide speculation).

DoomGuy would be an amazing addition and im 100p here for it. BUT, imagine Master Chief being announced for Smash at the VGAs.....

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hayabusa. Honestly I think the NES third party catalogue would be more or less perfectly represented with Ninja Gaiden in.
Hayabusa would be cool and I would welcome him with arms. But another character that would be cool to see come out of left field is Arthur from Ghosts & Goblins.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What NES era character would you guys like to see next? I would definitely like to see the Battletoads.
I'm fond of the obscure pick Ayumi Tachibana because I love detective games, but I gotta give a shout-out to Jason from Blaster Master, especially now the series is back with the Zero games.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To an extent it's all bias sure. You could say including Mario, Link and Pikachu was bias.

But reasonably speaking I disagree. I've never played Doom. I've never played Advance Wars. Yet I can look at Doom, and look at Advance Wars, and say just from a common sense standpoint that one of these series getting in is a much bigger deal than the other. And that's what I mean when I say a Nintendo pass is underwhelming.The selections aren't as big a deal compared to the ones we're looking at for a third party pass.
While I don't disagree with this line of thinking and I do believe DOOM is the more marketable of the two, I don't think that would be the reason for an Advance Wars character. Sure, there's a bunch of third parties that are more marketable but the rationale behind including someone from that series would be to make it more well known to a general audience should the series ever make a return (hoping this is the case personally) as well as expanding the appeal of the pass by having a completely new, never before seen moveset that would wow anyone regardless of their familiarity. Of course, there's other things to take in consideration but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
I’m not sure if anyone brought this idea forward but I came up with a new hypothesis in the shower:
Costume theory was right except regarding SquareEnix
Costume theory presumed that all old costumes from Smash 4 would return as dlc alongside a character from the same brand. The evidence for this was the old Sonic Mii costumes releasing alongside Joker. This meant Sega, Namco, Capcom, and Square would each have a representative with one brand unaccounted for.

Costume theory was presumably debunked by Hero releasing without the Geno costume or Chocobo hat from Smash 4.

What I propose is that the companies being represented in the original costume theory, Squarenix, Capcom, Namco, Sega, and Microsoft/Rare as the missing fifth, are still accurate and will release old costumes alongside their releases where available, but for whatever reason Squarenix’s representative did not include them.

The reason for this is simple— either Sakurai and his team opted not to put in those old costumes or (the more likely option) Square did a Square and did not want them rereleased. This is the same company that only allow two songs from Final Fantasy and two songs from each DragonQuest game so it would make sense if Squarenix was the exception here.

Banjo-Kazooie would have no effect on this new theory, since the original costume theory still allowed for one unknown brand, so we won’t know for sure until character 4 is revealed or launches.

If this “not costume theory” is true, it would mean that Namco and Capcom would be the only two brands left to get a representative in the Fighter’s Pass.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Bill and Lance from Contra!! They get surprisingly overlooked.
I've been playing through the Contra collection on Switch because having Super C and Hard Corps together on a handheld was just too good to pass up, and the idea of Contra getting Smash has been growing on me.

AS far as retro/NES franchises go, I think Contra is honestly the biggest IP not currently repped in Smash. The IP has seen a variety of games throughout the years on Nintendo and non-Nintendo systems, it has definitely been a big thing in the game industry, with how there have been a good amount of games that have been inspired by it (Blazing Chrome being a recent example, Metal Slug being a more classic example of something I believe has probably been inspired by Contra), and how huge the Konami code became, with a bunch of websites even having easter eggs with the code (atleast that was a thing back in the day, don't know how much it happens now)

Hell, it's not even looking bad when it comes to "relevancy" or recency. There's the Contra collection which I brought up which has been released on multiple platforms including Switch, and we even have a new Contra game coming on Switch.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Almost no one in Japan bought Doom. I dont know about Doomguy in Smash tbh. People way to much talk about him.

Imo people really underestimate Resident Evil getting a rep in Smash. For me personally biggest missing third party franchise in Smash without contest.

Resident Evil beats Doom in every way. Sales. More known. Everything. If we get a human character with real guns, it has to be someone from Resident Evil.

Also: I am really skeptical we get even a character with real guns in Smash.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So we're just gonna forget Joker for a second?
Joker's guns aren't real. The guns in P5 are all replicas that only shoot because imagination power or some such thing.

Though if you haven't played P5, there's no reason you'd know that from Smash.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Almost no one in Japan bought Doom. I dont know about Doomguy in Smash tbh. People way to much talk about him.

Imo people really underestimate Resident Evil getting a rep in Smash. For me personally biggest missing third party franchise in Smash without contest.

Resident Evil beats Doom in every way. Sales. More known. Everything. If we get a human character with real guns, it has to be someone from Resident Evil.

Also: I am really skeptical we get even a character with real guns in Smash.
#1.

#2. Sales for the Doom series is almost impossible to keep up with due to the lack of tracking across all the pffff 20+ consoles it's been on? And besides that, if we were looking STRICTLY at sales and not what it did for gaming in general (y'know the fact that Doom grandfathered in the FPS the most popular video game genre of all time) then RE would've been in over Street Fighter AND Mega Man, multiple Square franchises could've beat out that seat from Dragon Quest such as Tomb Raider, and Bayonetta should've never been in the game at all.

#3. More well known doesn't -necessarily- equate the iconicness of the franchise. Both are arguable but I feel like Metroid can be warranted as iconic because of it grandfathering the MetroidVania without necessarily being "well known".

#4. This is coming from someone who has been playing Resident Evil games for over a decade. I would literally die for Leon but what you're trying to point out doesn't seem to convey much sense.

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Journeyman
Costume theory was presumably debunked by Hero releasing without the Geno costume or Chocobo hat from Smash 4.
A lot of people made a big deal out of this because the Geno costume in particular was expected for so long, but SE's outfits aren't the first ones to not come home. Jacky and Akira's outfits didn't return alongside Joker and the associated SEGA costumes.

I agree with your overall point, though. We're 2/5 so far on third party Mii costumes being released alongside fighters from their respective companies, and both Capcom and Namco have sets that have yet to appear in Ultimate: 6 for Capcom and 3 for Namco, by my counting. It's a pattern that can be broken in virtually any update, but it's a pattern nonetheless and worth entertaining.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
The reason for this is simple— either Sakurai and his team opted not to put in those old costumes or (the more likely option) Square did a Square and did not want them rereleased.
Except Geno, who was a Mii Costume last time, is a Spirit in this game. So why would they allow him to be a Spirit but not a Mii Costume? If they're really just ports from last game, then why not just port over Geno and Chocobo? Even if they aren't, they still likely use last time as a base. It'd be one thing and more understandable if it was remade from the ground up, but I don't see a reason to believe it to be the case.

Can't really explain that. If Geno had no presence I'd believe it, but he does, so his Mii Costume not returning basically ensures that it was a one-time coincidence, and that Namco has to contend with every other company anyway. Capcom will probably get a character anyway, though, considering what their lineup is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom