• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Since I'm on a roll with good questions, how about this:

Your 3 dream characters get in, but they must replace 3 characters currently in the roster. Who would you add and who would you remove?
Add: Terry Bogard, Celica, and Quote.

Remove: Corrin, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant.

D

Deleted member

Your 3 dream characters get in, but they must replace 3 characters currently in the roster. Who would you add and who would you remove?
The only dream character left for me is Crash since I got the DQ8 Hero, Metroid newcomers and K.Rool already XD.

I guess I may drop :ultvillager: since I find Isabeller cooler (no hate towards Villager doh).

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I guess while we're on the topic of Mario characters, I'd absolutely love to see Paper Mario if his moveset is based on the first three games. I never got on the Geno hype train due to not growing up with Super Mario RPG, but Thousand-Year Door and Super Paper Mario were my jam growing up and both are tied for my favorite Mario games. My want for the little guy has wained after Sticker Star let me down, but if a Paper Mario based on the better games got in, you have no idea how estatic my inner seven year old would be.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee and Steve to replace King K.Rool, Ridley and Banjo-Kazooie.

Easiest decision of my life.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion

Adding: Prince of All Cosmos, The Last Dragonborn, Crash Bandicoot

Removing: Corrin, Lucina, Young Link
(If we don't count echoes, then swap out Lucina for Wii Fit Trainer)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Top 3 would be Layton, Phoenix and Classic Ganon.
Assuming you don't count echo fighters and clones then I suppose Plant, Wii Fit Trainer and Corrin. No hate.

Last edited:

TheGreatEchoes

Smash Rookie
I'd say Spyro, Marx and Ocelot replacing Corrin, Bayonetta and Little Mac. Playable Marx is something I've always wanted to see especially since Kirby hasn't gotten any newcomers in a while, and It'd be cool to see another character from Metal Gear get in. Since Spyro was left out of Playstation All Stars I think it would be wicked to see him make it into Smash.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Let's go with Isaac, Geno and Phoenix Wright. I'd cut Corrin, Incineroar and Piranha Plant.

Though I would cut those three in exchange for nothing.
Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee and Steve to replace King K.Rool, Ridley and Banjo-Kazooie.

This man deserves jail time.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I personally wouldn't cut anyone, even if there are a few I don't care about I wouldn't like to disappoint anyone, plus I'm not against any of the characters anyway.

If I had to remove a character, maybe Bayonetta, or just the Plant to be fair to them and other characters' fans. Though I'd actually like to keep the Plant, but it is the one you'd cut to be fair.

I'd actually just try to stuff more characters in without removing existing ones. We can have Steve and B-K together (yay), Creeper, Toad, Geno, Ninten, Porky, Gengar, Gardevoir, Tepig or Oshawott or whatever Gen 5 'mon, Slime, Black Mage, Goomba, Chorus Kids, Skull Kid, Sans & Papyrus...

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I'm assuming that characters have to be roughly equal, so I can't remove Dark Pit in favour of a unique character.

Remove Corrin for Dante from the Devil May Cry series
Remove Young Link for Tails (as a semi-clone of Sonic)
Remove Dark Pit for Octoling (as an echo fighter of Inkling)

I realize that every character has their fans, and I dislike making cuts. However, I find it redundant to have both Young Link and Toon Link (maybe I haven't played enough of them, but they seem too similar), and there doesn't seem to be any significant difference between Pit and Dark Pit aside from aesthetics and their final smash (it doesn't help that they both have palette swaps based on each other). Meanwhile, Dante's probably my most wanted at this point now that Banjo, Ridley, and K. Rool are in, and Corrin is the only unique character I can think of that I would cut if I was forced to. (maybe Piranha Plant)

If they give the moves different properties (it helps that Splatoon has a LOT of weapons), that could help to make Octolings stand out, and they're visually different. If they base his moveset on the classic games, I could see Tails working as a semi-clone of Sonic; he'd have a different recovery, a few different basic attacks and throws, and ideally a different side special, but in the classic games, it seems like he'd try to imitate Sonic as best as he can.

If Dante's too complicated for that replacement to be feasible, then I'd remove Corrin for Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X; in terms of promotional characters, I feel like Xenoblade Chronicles X could have used it far more than Fire Emblem Fates in the first place.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace

Remove: Pichu, Dr. Mario (as unique fighter at least), Piranha Plant*

Add: Sceptile, Dixie Kong, Isaac**

*I'm not against Plant as many others, but it's certainly an easy cut
**Reducing it down to just 3 new characters when I could have Captain Toad, Midna, Skull Kid, Chorus Kids, Andy, Paper Mario... is just tough

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Add Frisk, Jill Valentine, and Elma

Remove Incineroar, Corrin, and Daisy. If echoes don't count uhhhhhh Dr. Mario I guess?

Also I'm disappointed in yall for cutting my boy Piranha Plant. Though I'm like one of the five people who still plays it so I'm not too surprised.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Since I like a lot of characters from Square, I'm going to be fair and choose only one.

So, I'd cut Pichu, Corrin and either Dr. Mario or Plant for Sora, Phoenix Wright and Dixie Kong, I guess.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Toad, though; what happened? In SMB2 he was the fourth character, and he sorta had his own spotlight in the form of Wario’s Woods.
From what I know the character known as Toad does not exist in Japan. The Toad that is playable in the Mario spin off titles is just a Toad, but the west thinks of it as a character due to it's relationship with Toadette. I think if we were to get a Toad it would be Captain Toad.

I would say none of my dream characters get in. Replacing characters with others is not a concept I would like to entertain. Mostly because I don't want any of the veterans to go.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
From what I know the character known as Toad does not exist in Japan. The Toad that is playable in the Mario spin off titles is just a Toad, but the west thinks of it as a character due to it's relationship with Toadette. I think if we were to get a Toad it would be Captain Toad.

Gosh dang it Japan, Toadette and Yoshi are their own characters with there being multiple Yoshis yet Toad himself isn't?

I think Kamek has this problem, too, in Japan all magikoopas are called Kamek.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since we're on the topics of replacements, I'd add Ryu Hayabusa, Nightmare, and Cooking Mama and cut all the Mii Fighters Bowser Jr, Chrom (if echoes don't count then Dr. Mario), and Cloud. I'm usually against characters getting cut, but I could probably cope with seeing the latter 2 characters getting cut in the next Smash game. I kinda like the idea that Chrom was Waluigi 2.0 and would be left out of the roster as mean as that sounds, and with Dragon Quest having more content in Ultimate than Final Fantasy, Cloud feels too incomplete as a complete package for me to want him to stay. I'm very indifferent about Bowser Jr and Dr Mario, but I would be alright if Bowser Jr became an AT and Dr Mario becomes an alt for Mario.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Nintendo tends to have this thing where a lot of characters in the Mario series are more or less just generic characters in Japan, but Nintendo of America fleshes them out a bit more. If I recall, even the Koopalings where basically nameless in Japan too until the western localization gave them actual names...

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Nintendo tends to have this thing where a lot of characters in the Mario series are more or less just generic characters in Japan, but Nintendo of America fleshes them out a bit more. If I recall, the Koopalings where basically nameless in Japan too until the western localization gave them actual names...
So Toadette is unique everywhere.

But Toad is left to suffer.

edit: wait I found that "Kinopio" is Toad's name in Japan, but the species is called "Kinoko-zoku" which means "Mushroom People." Is he a stand-alone character or not?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This man deserves jail time.
I could say many things to this post, but I’ll just leave this here:
I’ve met many kinds of people in my life, both good and bad.

Osby ain’t someone who deserves jail at all over his thoughts on a videogame.

D

Deleted member

Of course he doesn't. He however is a bit to obsessed with spiting the "Smash bubble".
Based on stuff I’ve lived on the Smash community, I think he could have his reasons.

Because the community can at times make someone look at a character with a bad spotlight due to personal experiences.

Looks with a look of dissapointment at the Artorias bandwaggon from some months ago.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice

Louie, Quote, and Hat Kid/Sami over Doc, Yink/Tink, and Richter.
if we're doing five chars/cuts then I'll cut DS for Soma Cruz because I'm a zoomer

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Add (assuming I can’t add Echos): Porky, Dixie Kong, Geno (for a friend). Assuming I can add Echos, substitute one of the last 2 with Octoling (Inkling Echo).

Cut (assuming Echos count): Dr. Mario, Richter, Chrom. No hate towards the last 2.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Based on stuff I’ve lived on the Smash community, I think he could have his reasons.

Because the community can at times make someone look at a character with a bad spotlight due to personal experiences.

Looks with a look of dissapointment at the Artorias bandwaggon from some months ago.
I'm not gonna stop wanting characters like Isaac or Bandana Dee just because some people in this community don't like knowing Mewtwo isn't the only popular Pokemon.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

P. Plant for Crash Bandicoot
Corrin for Rayman
Ritcher for Impa

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
alright from what I've found I swear Toad in Japan has got to be in the same situation as in the West, not like Kamek.

Thank goodness too because I could not believe they'd use Toad so much yet there's only one Toadette (I understand Toadsworth) and there's multiple Yoshis yet the green one is still treated as his own character (I like all these characters, I would've just found it very odd if there wasn't a single Toad assumed to be his own thing).

So unless he's supposed to be by Peach's side the whole time, and he gets depressed at the castle when she gets kidnapped, it really confuses me why they'd choose Blue Toad over him. Doesn't explain him not being playable in 3D World, though.

yes maybe this is a weird thing to care about.

edit: woops I forgot Captain Toad was in 3D World, and assuming Capt. Toad is the same, then okay that explains it. Toad wantin’ that sweet, sweet treasure.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tangentially related to the pass: did we EVER get to find out why there are three remaining characters in the pass but four spaces on the stage select screen? it's not for custom stages as that's in a tab at the top of the stage CSS, and the random button is at the very start...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Tangentially related to the pass: did we EVER get to find out why there are three remaining characters in the pass but four spaces on the stage select screen? it's not for custom stages as that's in a tab at the top of the stage CSS, and the random button is at the very start...
I think the sixth slot was for enabling/disabling custom stages when you had a ruleset with random turned on by default or something...but that doesn't sound right...though I haven't tried it myself tbh.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In the random stage select for rules, there is a separate on/off switch for custom stages, it occupies that final slot.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

So you'd replace three of the most requested characters in Smash history, with those three?

Good thing you aren't the director.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
As an Incineroar main I feel attacked to see so much people saying they'd remove him from the game.
But well, that only makes me stronger so keep it up! I really, really enjoy watching people complain about certain character being in the game.
Also, I wouldn't be able to say "remove X character and add Y" I'm grateful for what we have and only Sakurai and his team are the ones who should make such decisions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As an Incineroar main I feel attacked to see so much people saying they'd remove him from the game.
But well, that only makes me stronger so keep it up! I really, really enjoy watching people complain about certain character being in the game.
Also, I wouldn't be able to say "remove X character and add Y" I'm grateful for what we have and only Sakurai and his team are the one whos should make such decisions.
I do agree with your full post.

I honestly share your feelings with Incineroar as a DQ supporter as someone who had to deal with the Artorias bandwaggon months ago.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

Sora for Mii Brawler
Rex & Pyra with a transformation gimmick for Mii Gunner and Mii Swordfighter

**** the Miis

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
edit: wait I found that "Kinopio" is Toad's name in Japan, but the species is called "Kinoko-zoku" which means "Mushroom People." Is he a stand-alone character or not?
According to what other people have told me this is actually a lie. I have no way of verifying this but I also can't say the opposite is true either, as (to my knowledge) this information comes from the Super Mario Wiki. Wikis can be edited by anyone so it's pretty easy to spread misinformation.

EDIT: Once people got into a tizzy because someone edited a celebrity's Wikipedia page to say that she almost got married to the man with a big blue box.
It doesn't surprise me. The west seems to not like Incineroar in general.
alright from what I've found I swear Toad in Japan has got to be in the same situation as in the West, not like Kamek.
Wait. Are you saying Kamek doesn't exist in Japan?

...Would explain Kammy Koopa. That also makes the character diversity in Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Paint Splash even worse.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

(Captain) Toad> Dr. Mario. A better Mario based puzzle star and he's a totally unique character, not the same dude in a lab coat.
Impa> Young Link. Again, I'm not a fan of the same character appearing repeatedly and we already have Toon Link and regular BoTW Link.
Dixie Kong> Richter. Only character I'd never heard of prior to appearing in Ultimate.

I'd have also done Bandana Dee, but Toad and Dixie take priority for me as the two biggest Nintendo Stars not yet in and Young Link's addition still seems pointless to me. I don't want to drop Zelda characters down so replacing him with another Zelda character felt more right.

KillerCage

Smash Master

Since I consider Smash Bros as an All-Star fighting game series, I would cut Corrin, Incineroar, and Wii Fit Trainer. They would be replaced by Issac, Ryu Hayabusa, and either Doom Slayer or Master Chief.

EDIT: Please note I was excluding Echo Fighters as they could easily be cut or converted into alternate costumes. Had I included Echo Fighters, I would have Dark Pit instead of Wii Fit Trainer. I also excluded third-party characters as they could be removed by their respective owners. This was the case for Snake during the transition from Brawl to Smash 4. Like with Echo Fighters, I would have cut Bayonetta instead of Wii Fit Trainer had I included third-party characters in the discussion.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd have also done Bandana Dee, but Toad and Dixie take priority for me as the two biggest Nintendo Stars not yet in and Young Link's addition still seems pointless to me. I don't want to drop Zelda characters down so replacing him with another Zelda character felt more right.
If Link was changed to properly represent The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's (and it's sequel's) design philosophy then I think Young Link should stay so that Link's original moveset can still exist within the series.

D

Deleted member

As someone who watches wrestling very often, Incineroar is a great inclusion. He may not have some things I like about him like his recovery or being way too slow, but a pro wrestler in Smash is still cool to see, and I hope he doesn't get on the chopping block of the next game. It probably didn't help that people preferred to see Decidueye in Smash before Incineroar though.

I also see a lot of people being fine with Corrin getting cut. Is Fates really that bad of a game to warrant cutting the main character or is it because he's the reason people hate seeing more Fire Emblem characters in Smash?

D

Deleted member

As someone who watches wrestling very often, Incineroar is a great inclusion. He may not have some things I like about him like his recovery or being way too slow, but a pro wrestler in Smash is still cool to see, and I hope he doesn't get on the chopping block of the next game. It probably didn't help that people preferred to see Decidueye in Smash before Incineroar though.

I also see a lot of people being fine with Corrin getting cut. Is Fates really that bad of a game to warrant cutting the main character or is it because he's the reason people hate seeing more Fire Emblem characters in Smash?
Would you feel bad if I said I love Wii Fit Trainer for similar reasons?

Nothing wrong with your take at all since I also agree, it’s just that as someone who tends to do yoga I enjoy how Wii Fit Trainer was done in Smash with real yoga possitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom