• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
You guys think certain character being announced for another fighting game could affect their chances of getting into Smash?
Just an example: They announce Doom Slayer for Mortal Kombat 11, would people think that'd hurts his chances?
(I know the Smash roster has characters that have been in other fighting games, like Link in SC).
Now that I think about it thats a sick idea i just had.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
You guys think certain character being announced for another fighting game could affect their chances of getting into Smash?
In my eyes, no, but most character in other crossover fighting games are already deconfirmed to varying degrees (Shovel Knight is an assist whereas 2B comes from a company already represented in the Pass, for examples) or too minor (Quote comes to mind, rip).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Just an example: They announce Doom Slayer for Mortal Kombat 11, would people think that'd hurts his chances?
(I know the Smash roster has characters that have been in other fighting games, like Link in SC).
Not really.
In my eyes, no, but most character in other crossover fighting games are already deconfirmed to varying degrees (Shovel Knight is an assist whereas 2B comes from a company already represented in the Pass, for examples) or too minor (Quote comes to mind, rip).
Being a part of the same company as a Fighters Pass character is not a disconfirmation. Most people (including myself) consider the chance of getting two characters from a specific company to be extremely low, but it's really just a hunch. There's nothing saying it won't happen.

Imagine if Master Chief was the 5th Fighters Pass character. That would be so cool especially since most of us have written the character off. But in the end only time will tell.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, I think it definitely hurts. I don't think there would be anything like a no-competition clause or anything like that, but I don't think, say, Bethesda, knowing Doomguy will be in Smash, would then agree to include him in something like MK11. Kind of dilutes the impact (see: people memeing Terminator being in every game announced at E3)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, I think it definitely hurts. I don't think there would be anything like a no-competition clause or anything like that, but I don't think, say, Bethesda, knowing Doomguy will be in Smash, would then agree to include him in something like MK11. Kind of dilutes the impact (see: people memeing Terminator being in every game announced at E3)
Perhaps. I understand why a company may be overly discerning when it comes to guest appearances, though I suspect that given the fervour that surrounds Smash, the acclaim the series has garnered, and the visibility that comes with inclusion, companies may recognize that inclusion in the series actually strengthens a brand instead of tarnishes it through, like, indiscriminate shilling or whatever the fear may be.

Because it's not like any other series makes as many waves when a third-party crosses over as Smash does.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Who is a character that you would hate to see added in Smash?
Doomguy, Scorpion, or anyone from any ultra-violent series that simply wouldn't fit the decor of Smash without being heavily watered down.

Any stupid meme characters like Tetromino or "Labo Man."

Any more Fire Emblem reps or sword users.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Doomguy, Scorpion, or anyone from an ultra-violent series that simply wouldn't fit the decor of Smash without being heavily watered down.

Any stupid meme characters like Tetromino or "Labo Man."

Any more Fire Emblem reps or sword users.
I never saw Tetromino as a meme character and I would actually think they would be cool
And if they can get Snake in Smash, they can get Doomguy in Smash >: (

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't hate them, but there are a few characters I just don't think would mesh that well in Smash. An AC assassin, Nathan Drake, most Rockstar characters, ones like those. Characters that are a part of more stylistically and thematically realistic worlds.

Also wouldn't be big on Steve, just because I don't think much of the character's design. Would be fine with a Minecraft stage or a Creeper AT or something though.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
I never saw Tetromino as a meme character and would actually think they would be cool
And if they can get Snake in Smash, they can get Doomguy in Smash >: (
The way they handled Snake is why I don't want to see any more M-rated characters added. Having to censor and water characters down to fit the family friendliness just isn't cool, and it's better if they're not there at all.

I also really don't want to see Steve from Minecraft, but I can't really think of a concrete reason why. I just think it would be lame, even as someone who played a lot of Minecraft as a teenager.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I wouldn't hate them, but there are a few characters I just don't think would mesh that well in Smash. An AC assassin, Nathan Drake, most Rockstar characters, ones like those. Characters that are a part of more stylistically and thematically realistic worlds.

Also wouldn't be big on Steve, just because I don't think much of the character's design. Would be fine with a Minecraft stage or a Creeper AT or something though.
A Creeper AT would be kinda cool to be honest. It would force you to move and it would get rid of campers.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
No one really, the only characters I think I wouldn't really like are Dante and Geno, but I can see myself enjoying playing them, I mean, how on earth could someone get mad at the inclusion of X character into a game?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I can't think of any that I'd hate, barring completely random additions like three Goombas stacked on top of each other. I haven't played Fire Emblem: Three Houses, for example, and I'm annoyed that Fire Emblem has a disproportionately large presence on the roster (or at least had prior to Smash Ultimate - Ultimate really helped to even things out for the most part), but from what little I've seen of the cast, I'd be willing to give Byleth or one of the main people from the titular houses a shot. (Edelgard, Claude, or Dimitri)

If we're talking about characters with realistic chances, then I have no idea. (then again, I have no idea what counts as a realistic chance nowadays - until very recently, I thought that Banjo would be impossible and he made it in)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

None really. As long as we have a good variety like always, I'm pretty much fine with almost everyone. More Fire Emblem could be cool given that 3H is quite fun.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
There isn't really anyone that I'd hate. Sure there are some character choices like Geno that might make me raise an eyebrow. But generally speaking I'm accepting of most character choices as long as they're not overwhelming or ridiculous.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
None. Every character is great in their own right. But that's cause I don't like to hate on fictional characters getting in a crossover game. I don't enjoy the hatred.

There's many preferences I'd have, though. Usually "I want this guy first" types of things. I did want Ridley and K. Rool before Dark Samus and Dixie personally. One of those happened to happen while the other was nothing more than a reveal order difference. Another one is Shulk had zero interest to me as the series is something of no interest. I wanted Isaac in. Things didn't happen that way(but I do like Shulk in Smash itself, so it works out). There's more examples I could give, but that's a good enough idea of what I mean, I guess.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm open to any character getting in, even if I only care about Steve, Skull Kid, Geno, Porky, etc.

I'd only hate it if a character got added and people started hating on the character's fans instead of shutting up. Still wouldn't regret the character getting in.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The only two I’d HATE would be Steve and an Undertale character. Other than that, I might have a general dislike/neutral feeling towards certain characters, but none that I’d hate. Just a general “Meh, I would’ve preferred (other character), but whatever.”

I mean, for the most part, I’m happy with this roster. And again the only two characters I’m actively advocating for are Porky and Octoling as an Echo if we get any more after the Pass (which I doubt). If we were to get either (or both) of those, I probably wouldn’t ask for anything more really in terms of characters. But if we don’t get them, the only thing I can really complain about (as an EarthBound fan) is why Porky is completely unrepresented. And even that is a somewhat minor complaint in contrast with everything we do have in this game (though it still is very odd to me that he’s not represented in the slightest).

Edit: If either of the two characters I mentioned that I’d hate were to get in, I probably wouldn’t be very vocal about it just because I know there are people that do want those characters, so I’d rather not ruin their enjoyment. Would still personally have negative feelings towards them (the characters) though.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Solid Snake appeared in a crossover fighter before Smash Bros Brawl; DreamMix TV World Fighters on the Gamecube and Playstation 2 where he fought Bomberman, Optimus Prime and Tyson from Beyblade(no really) and Simon Belmont.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sakurai suggested once he would have added Snake into Melee had he been asked earlier...so...that DreamMix appearance wouldn't have had any affect on Snake's chances.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Steve and Saber. I'm in favor of most characters with semi-realistic chances, but the few I hate, I hate with a passion. These two would be potential not-buying-the-game scenarios.

Other than that, non videogame characters. If they ever start adding those I stop playing Smash for good.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
I know this is gonna be a pair of super unpopular opinions, but
I really don't like the idea of Crash or Skull Kid getting in. Crash (as DLC specifically) has a similar niche as Banjo in regards to fans it would please (Most Banjo fans I know also support crash and vise versa) and doesn't have anything cool he could do (Hero was thought to be a lame anime swordsman, now he's the most dynamic character in the game) in regards to moveset or personality. Skull Kid suffers from a lot of Zelda villian problems (most notably, appearing only once or twice and taking a backseat to the Big Bad at the end). But unlike say Ghirahim, Vaati, etc, Skull Kid is never fought once. As soon as he's about to get punished Majora takes off and you fight him instead.
It's not the fact that he's a character from a decades-old game who only appeared once, nor that he is never directly fought, nor that his only action in-game was being possessed by Majora, but a culmination. It's like asking for that one fish boss from Super Metroid for me, though maybe it's different for those who support the character.
Bad opinions end here.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I really don't like the idea of Crash or Skull Kid getting in. Crash (as DLC specifically) has a similar niche as Banjo in regards to fans it would please (Most Banjo fans I know also support crash and vise versa) and doesn't have anything cool he could do (Hero was thought to be a lame anime swordsman, now he's the most dynamic character in the game) in regards to moveset or personality. Skull Kid suffers from a lot of Zelda villian problems (most notably, appearing only once or twice and taking a backseat to the Big Bad at the end). But unlike say Ghirahim, Vaati, etc, Skull Kid is never fought once. As soon as he's about to get punished Majora takes off and you fight him instead.
It's not the fact that he's a character from a decades-old game who only appeared once, nor that he is never directly fought, nor that his only action in-game was being possessed by Majora, but a culmination. It's like asking for that one fish boss from Super Metroid for me, though maybe it's different for those who support the character.
Bad opinions end here.
Well If your talking about skull kid then he is fought in multiple Zelda games;
Ocarina of time - as Adult if you go to lost woods Skull kid will attack you with darts
Majoras Mask - Well you don't so much as fight him but he sends a moon on you and you can attack him
Twilight Princess - Lost woods has you chase skull kid and in the end fight him
He is one of the more recurring zelda characters in the franchise, although I think if he was going to be in smash it would be in a base roster not DLC.
Other than that I agree with Crash but thats probably more of a "I didn't grow up with him" kind of thing whereas I grew up with Banjo-Kazooie

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Skull Kid actually appears quite a lot (though Majora's Mask is his only major role):
-Ocarina of Time (Skull Kids appear as a race, but among them there's also the same individual Skull Kid as Majora's Mask, since in Majora he says he already knew Link)
-Majora's Mask (where he's kinda the main villain)
-Twilight Princess (he guides you to the Temple of Time; it's heavily hinted he is the same Skull Kid as OoT and MM but it's not official).

For these reasons, and for just how iconic and beloved Majora's Mask is, I think he is the best choice for a new Zelda character, with Midna as a distant second. RIP Tingle, we didn't deserve you.
Though not gonna lie, I also love his design, I think it's one of the best Nintendo ever created in any game, and the idea of a lost boy possessed by a demonic mask is really interesting to me. And I think he could also get a great moveset full of references and creepy moves.
I've been wanting him since Brawl, actually... and I think since then no other Zelda one-off has managed to have the same impact as him in the hearts of the fans. Midna may be the only exception, but apart from her, Ghirahim came and went, Vaati disappeared, the 4 champions aren't individually strong enough as characters, and Impa is a bit too all over the place character-wise from one game to the next. I think he's the best choice, even moveset-wise.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
https://twitter.com/DigiDriver/status/1156760555039993857
So I think Elma’s chances just shot up

Around last November, Caitlin Glass (Elma’s VO) announced she had a NDA role that required an audition with a character she once voiced as reference. Two days ago, Adam Howden (Shulk’s VO) announced he too has an NDA role, and the only other time he’s teased such a role previously was before his Smash 4 Shulk reveal. It’s therefore likely Howden and Glass are working on the same thing - something Xenoblade related with both Shulk and Elma. X part 2 (as the Shulk voice was an option for the player avatar)? Xenoblade Warriors?

Whatever it is it would segue perfectly into an Elma Smash reveal, esp since X2 or Xenoblade Warriors could also be the secret Hiroyuki Sawano composition project...
Something tells me this is 100% not related to Xenoblade in Caitlin's case. It contextually doesn't make sense given her own quoted tweet. I'm more inclined to say this is a new role rather than a reprisal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A good portion characters I've seen in the speculation scene don't interest me for the most part, but hardly would I say I'd hate to see any of them being added in Smash. Not interested in them? Maybe, but not hate it.

...and then there's Call of Duty and Battlefield. Any character from these 2 franchises would make me hate it for a couple of reasons:

-Military Shooters are some of the least fitting genres for Smash, but a big exception to this is if they aren't trying to be as realistic as possible. CoD may had strayed from this for some time with some of their previous games like Advanced Warfare, but it's not enough for me to get behind seeing it happen.
-CoD and Battlefield are mostly known for its gameplay and multiplayer and that's it. They have very little to no memorable music outside of whatever licensed song they use in the ads for their games (which aren't even in the games themselves). With all the franchises currently in Smash, they all have at least some memorable tracks behind them.
-Battlefield doesn't have any memorable characters nor do they have any characters that are iconic to the series. While CoD has a few characters that people know well like Alex Mason or Ghost, I find it hard to believe they're strong enough names for the Fighter Pass when they haven't been relevant for some time, and with other characters in the FPS genre that are more well known and offer a lot more moves in their arsenal than anyone in CoD and Battlefield does, a CoD & Battlefield rep just ends up feeling very uninspired for Smash.

-Activision and EA are the American versions of Konami, and I don't like the idea of either of the 2 getting a character in Smash since I have no trust in them letting Nintendo and Sakurai use their characters for Ultimate and the next Smash games after.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well If your talking about skull kid then he is fought in multiple Zelda games;
Ocarina of time - as Adult if you go to lost woods Skull kid will attack you with darts
Majoras Mask - Well you don't so much as fight him but he sends a moon on you and you can attack him
Twilight Princess - Lost woods has you chase skull kid and in the end fight him
He is one of the more recurring zelda characters in the franchise, although I think if he was going to be in smash it would be in a base roster not DLC.
Other than that I agree with Crash but thats probably more of a "I didn't grow up with him" kind of thing whereas I grew up with Banjo-Kazooie
It's pretty sad when a character that appears three times in like fifteen games is "one of the more recurring characters".

Bad opinions end here.
One big part of Crash Bandicoot is breaking all of the boxes. I'm not entirely sure what they would do with this, but it would definitely be in there somehow. Maybe it's how he summons/powers up Aku Aku?

Two random thoughts on the boxes thing:
  • What if the boxes spawned items.
  • It would be hilarious if Crash's victory screen was dictated by his performance. If he didn't break enough boxes he would get hit on the head with them, if he took damage he would get an "Almost perfect...but you took damage". The only way to get a normal victory screen would be to break enough boxes and get a perfect.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
It's pretty sad when a character that appears three times in like fifteen games is "one of the more recurring characters".

One big part of Crash Bandicoot is breaking all of the boxes. I'm not entirely sure what they would do with this, but it would definitely be in there somehow. Maybe it's how he summons/powers up Aku Aku?

Two random thoughts on the boxes thing:
  • What if the boxes spawned items.
  • It would be hilarious if Crash's victory screen was dictated by his performance. If he didn't break enough boxes he would get hit on the head with them, if he took damage he would get an "Almost perfect...but you took damage". The only way to get a normal victory screen would be to break enough boxes and get a perfect.
I mean, he throws around the TNT crates in Skylanders, so I could see that occurring but with general crate types that function as they do in game (regular crate, TNT, Nitro that's rare...)

KillerCage

Smash Master
There isn't any characters I would hate if they got in; I would merely dislike them or be indifferent.

FRANCHISES are another story. I agree with Velveeta Dream in regards to Call of Duty and Battlefield. The characters from both series are so cookie cutter that you couldn't tell if they are from their respective franchise. I didn't like Hero, but at least you can tell he's from Dragon Quest. There are much better characters to represent the FPS genre like Doom Slayer and Master Chief. I also don't want Fnaf in Smash either.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
They have very little to no memorable music outside of whatever licensed song they use in the ads for their games (which aren't even in the games themselves).
I disagree. At the very least, Modern Warfare 2 has an amazing Hans Zimmer score and 3 is also pretty great. A few other games have highlights that come to mind. On the Battlefield side, the main theme is incredibly iconic and recognizable. The other issues I agree with, but music is not a weak point here.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I have a controversial choice and I'm tired of arguing about it so I'll just say that the only character I would hate to see in Smash is one who I have a personal distaste for as one of my closest friends had a very bad experience with the character's game and I don't want something that brings us so much joy to have those upsetting memories associated with it.

Other than that, I'll take anyone. Sure, there are choices less exciting to me than others, but the only characters I got that were "dreams" for me in the entire series were Joker and Little Mac.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
I don’t like using the word hate, but most of the names floating around speculation right now are not ones I would be excited about. Couple that with most of the fighter pass thus far not appealing much to me, and I do not have high hopes moving forward.

As long as we don’t get Jean Luc Picard or Monkey D Luffy I think we’ll be okay.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
If I'm being completely honest, probably someone from a game that uses gambling mechanics such as gatcha or lootboxes. I'd rather not go too much into the details, but as someone whose family has a history of addiction (gambling included), I'd be super uncomfortable if something that's ruined so many lives were represented in one of my favorite games. I was honestly kind of scared of the Granblue rumors from a while back because I know that game has gatcha mechanics, so you have no idea how relieved I was when that died down.

Outside of that, I really don't care who gets in. Ultimate's roster is already amazing and I can't think of many other characters that would sour the experience for me.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
while I don't think hate is right word for this questions anymore I have one that I really dislike to see in smash
I don't want to cause controversy or anything like that but,

Any Main character that are just made for propaganda purpose(Done poorly Politics), I honesty rather have a non video-game character than a propaganda video game character.

A good portion characters I've seen in the speculation scene don't interest me for the most part, but hardly would I say I'd hate to see any of them being added in Smash. Not interested in them? Maybe, but not hate it.

...and then there's Call of Duty and Battlefield. Any character from these 2 franchises would make me hate it for a couple of reasons:

-Military Shooters are some of the least fitting genres for Smash, but a big exception to this is if they aren't trying to be as realistic as possible. CoD may had strayed from this for some time with some of their previous games like Advanced Warfare, but it's not enough for me to get behind seeing it happen.
-CoD and Battlefield are mostly known for its gameplay and multiplayer and that's it. They have very little to no memorable music outside of whatever licensed song they use in the ads for their games (which aren't even in the games themselves). With all the franchises currently in Smash, they all have at least some memorable tracks behind them.
-Battlefield doesn't have any memorable characters nor do they have any characters that are iconic to the series. While CoD has a few characters that people know well like Alex Mason or Ghost, I find it hard to believe they're strong enough names for the Fighter Pass when they haven't been relevant for some time, and with other characters in the FPS genre that are more well known and offer a lot more moves in their arsenal than anyone in CoD and Battlefield does, a CoD & Battlefield rep just ends up feeling very uninspired for Smash.
-Activision and EA are the American versions of Konami, and I don't like the idea of either of the 2 getting a character in Smash since I have no trust in them letting Nintendo and Sakurai use their characters for Ultimate and the next Smash games after.
Agreed especially since there are other FPS Characters that fits better in smash such as Doomslayer, Master Chief, Joanna Dark, Gordon Freeman, Team Fortress 2's Heavy and even Duke Nukem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom