• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
A friend of mine bring up the possibility of having a Pokemon Trainer-like Fire Emblem character in the future, with three of the characters from Three Houses in one slot and switchable at any point; maybe an archer, a swordfighter, and an ax-wielder. This sounds fine to me too, assuming Three Houses does well and is universally well-received like Awakening.
I think it would be cool if the all of the Fire Emblem characters could pair together. For example, if a player so chose they could battle with Marth, Ike, and Robin. The three would be able to switch between each other through their new down specials (pairing them up removes their original ones but that probably doesn't matter much since they're all situational anyway). Unlike the Pokémon Trainer, any character that gets KOed becomes unavailable until the other two characters are also KOed (In a three stock match, this essentially enforces perma-death).

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
mii costume theory is going out in flames if this is real
No Capcom costumes? New Capcom rep!
But I'd be pretty sad if Bamco didn't get a new rep, they help developing Smash and they also have good characters that I would love to see in Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
No Capcom costumes? New Capcom rep!
But I'd be pretty sad if Bamco didn't get a new rep, they help developing Smash and they also have good characters that I would love to see in Smash.
I just hope Lloyd and Heihachi Mii Costumes returning doesn’t hurt KOS-MOS’s chances... in fact I hope it helps

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think it would be cool if the all of the Fire Emblem characters could pair together. For example, if a player so chose they could battle with Marth, Ike, and Robin. The three would be able to switch between each other through their new down specials (pairing them up removes their original ones but that probably doesn't matter much since they're all situational anyway). Unlike the Pokémon Trainer, any character that gets KOed becomes unavailable until the other two characters are also KOed (In a three stock match, this essentially enforces perma-death).
That would be a balancing nightmare and also completely faithless to the source material.
At that point, you might as well do that for every single character for every series.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Isn't there like mass controversy with Touhou that would upset a widespread if Touhou was introduced in Smash, the same mass controversy and upset as having Waluigi finally being playable?
https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou/comments/9ua9qg/japan_doesnt_actually_want_touhou_in_smash_bros/ It's very inaccurate, so I myself don't personally know. VERY inaccurate. Looking at it it just seems like downright hate than any controversy.
Using a couple of cherry picked 2chan posts to represent a character's popularity is extremely wrong and inaccurate. It's an anonymous website with tons of negativity and hate, the same as 4chan. Reimu becoming playable wouldn't cause a widespread controversy, she'd just be another character in the roster.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
I feel like indie and niche 3rd party franchises shouldn't be overlooked imo, sure Persona (SMT) and DQ aren't exactly niche but i wouldn' be surprised if something like Cave Story or Blazblue showed up.

D

Deleted member

I swear to God if this means Lupin III leak is real I'll flip my ****.
*sees no Geno costume mentioned*

Ah ****, here we go again.

Interesting how some of the reactions to this leak on here are people thinking Bandai Namco characters are deconfirmed. While I don't really understand Heihachi being in there, Lloyd's costume would certainly be fitting as an RPG themed mii costume pack.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We'll know if it's real soon enough.
If it IS real then it means the death of the Mii costume theory, and it also would leave Dark Souls as the only front runner for a Namco rep.
KOS-MOS would like to know your location

There’s also a Soul Calibur character as a possibility like Nightmare or Sophitia, but between all those choices I’d prefer KOS-MOS myself

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We'll know if it's real soon enough.
If it IS real then it means the death of the Mii costume theory, and it also would leave Dark Souls as the only front runner for a Namco rep.
There's more than just Dark Souls for franchise options. Soul Calibur, Digimon, KOS-MOS(...why can't I remember what franchise she's from clearly?) and Klonoa still exist. ...Though only the first two sound somewhat possible, imo. That said, Artorias(who I agree with some that he'd make for an excellent choice) would be a pretty cool character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Probably because "Xenosaga" overlaps in both name and developers with Xenoblade.
Yeah, sounds about right. It doesn't help people just say the character name very often but don't mention the franchise. I never played or much talked about Xenosaga in general. Plus, Xenoblade in Smash made it far easier for me to remember.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That would be a balancing nightmare and also completely faithless to the source material.
At that point, you might as well do that for every single character for every series.
You might be on to something with the balance aspect but I think it represents the source material quite well. The games have you pick a bunch of troops to deploy, and then strategize based upon who can do what and what just happened. You also have to be careful with your choices because once a character is gone there's no getting them back. I think this mechanic would fit this perfectly.

Probably because "Xenosaga" overlaps in both name and developers with Xenoblade.
The existence of Xenogears doesn't help either.

Nintendo seem to have changed the title of the video mentioning "July" to "Summer".
If this is the case then I'll stand by my august release date prediction.

...I'd love to be wrong though.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
KOS-MOS would like to know your location

There’s also a Soul Calibur character as a possibility like Nightmare or Sophitia, but between all those choices I’d prefer KOS-MOS myself
There's more than just Dark Souls for franchise. Soul Calibur, Digimon, KOS-MOS(...why can't I remember what franchise she's from clearly?) and Klonoa still exist. ...Though only the first two sound somewhat possible, imo. That said, Artorias(who I agree with some that he'd make for an excellent choice) would be a pretty cool character.
I'm aware there's more than just Dark Souls in terms of potential newcomers for Namco, and I never said it's the only potential newcomer from Namco. But I do believe Dark Souls is the most likely candidate if Tekken and Tales are out of the equation. It's a series that reached mainstream popularity and influenced the gaming industry quite heavily (so much so that any hard game nowadays is compared to the bloody series).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You might be on to something with the balance aspect but I think it represents the source material quite well. The games have you pick a bunch of troops to deploy, and then strategize based upon who can do what and what just happened. You also have to be careful with your choices because once a character is gone there's no getting them back. I think this mechanic would fit this perfectly.

The existence of Xenogears doesn't help either.

If this is the case then I'll stand by my august release date prediction.

...I'd love to be wrong though.
I see it more as “oops we accidentally spoiled that it would indeed be this month”

I'm aware there's more than just Dark Souls in terms of potential newcomers for Namco, and I never said it's the only potential newcomer from Namco. But I do believe Dark Souls is the most likely candidate if Tekken and Tales are out of the equation. It's a series that reached mainstream popularity and influenced the gaming industry quite heavily (so much so that any hard game nowadays is compared to the bloody series).
KOS-MOS has a reputation as Namco’s “crossover queen” tho, and can pretty much be considered a mascot in her own right alongside PAC MAN

Last edited:

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
-snip-
So according to this, Hero is releasing this month (July).
Never mind, I see that the title used to be "Newest Releases - July" This slip up could go either way though. The July date could have been an honest mistake.
Hope it does mean that Hero releases this month though.

I don't see anything in this video that states or implies that Hero is releasing this month. It just says "Newest Releases - Summer".
No date is shown at the bottom of the screen while Hero is featured. Unlike the games that do have release dates.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can't imagine why. It's extremely benign. What are you expecting?
The presence of a Byleth costume would imply there being no Three Houses character on the pass.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
I don't see anything in this video that states or implies that Hero is releasing this month. It just says "Newest Releases - Summer".
No date is shown at the bottom of the screen while Hero is featured. Unlike the games that do have release dates.

Am I missing something?
The title used to say "July." It was changed not ten minutes ago.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Am I missing something?
It originally said July instead of Summer.

Vrbtm

The presence of a Byleth costume would imply there being no Three Houses character on the pass.
Right.

Not only is that a good thing, it's never happening anyway and everyone who's paying attention knows it. Any characters newer than Rex are 100% deconfirmed.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Right.

Not only is that a good thing, it's never happening anyway and everyone who's paying attention knows it. Any characters newer than Rex are 100% deconfirmed.
The DLC for Banjo was negotiated in April of 2018. The cutoff for the base roster isn't the one for DLC necessarily.

Also tone down the attitude, dude.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
I think they changed it fast because they probably wanted to shadow drop hero like Joker.

Keep in mind that every character in the video is from July, if it was "Summer" it would've had Fortnite season 10 and Astral Chain.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
*sees no Geno costume mentioned*

Ah ****, here we go again.

Interesting how some of the reactions to this leak on here are people thinking Bandai Namco characters are deconfirmed. While I don't really understand Heihachi being in there, Lloyd's costume would certainly be fitting as an RPG themed mii costume pack.
Well, I don't think it's a full deconfirm for all of their characters, but it would feel weird for a Tekken or Tales character to release separate from a costume from the same series, no?

And yeah, this technically wouldn't deconfirm Dark Souls, Digimon or the other Bamco properties... but I personally feel like it would be a hit against them. Not necessarily by much, but it would. Unless there is a larger amount of costumes coming with those Bamco characters, which is a possibility.

Though, you're right, Geno's absence and Heihachi's presence seem really odd. As for Gil, is there any particular reason for his inclusion with Hero?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And yeah, this technically wouldn't deconfirm Dark Souls, Digimon or the other Bamco properties... but I personally feel like it would be a hit against them. Not necessarily by much, but it would. Unless there is a larger amount of costumes coming with those Bamco characters, which is a possibility.

Though, you're right, Geno's absence and Heihachi's presence seem really odd. As for Gil, is there any particular reason for his inclusion with Hero?
Even if it did deconfirm Heihachi, Tekken isn't completely out of the running thanks to Jin and Kazuya.

Vrbtm

The DLC for Banjo was negotiated in April of 2018. The cutoff for the base roster isn't the one for DLC necessarily.
I'm not sure why you think that means anything. The very Direct where Rex was deconfirmed was the same direct that DLC was announced. If Rex was still in the running, why would they bother acknowledging his absence and giving him a Mii Costume?

If XC2 came out too late, that means everything else that came after it did, too.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not sure why you think that means anything. The very Direct where Rex was deconfirmed was the same direct that DLC was announced. If Rex was still in the running, why would they bother acknowledging his absence and giving him a Mii Costume?

If XC2 came out too late, that means everything else that came after it did, too.
Simple. He didn't make the base game, but he also didn't make Nintendo's DLC shortlist, likely because he wasn't seen as profitable as the other options.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Even if it did deconfirm Heihachi, Tekken isn't completely out of the running thanks to Jin and Kazuya.
True, but why would Heihachi's costume release separately from Kazuya (or Heihachi himself) as a fighter? Especially considering their place in Tekken? It would be weird to me if it ended up happening that way. Unless we got a boatload of new Tekken Costumes... which I'm not opposed to, if I'm being completely honest.

Last edited:

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
If the leak is real, i think we might get 2 new companies in after all instead of capcom and namco.

I think DLC 4 and DLC 5 are going to be more unexpected that people think :p

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Simple. He didn't make the base game, but he also didn't make Nintendo's DLC shortlist, likely because he wasn't seen as profitable as the other options.
Not to support that guy's attitude, but if Rex wasn't seen as a profitable character by Nintendo, then why should we expect a Fire Emblem one to be the opposite?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because presumably the base roster and DLC roster was decided at different times; if a character existed during DLC consideration then they were probably at least considered. This even applies to Rex, though I doubt he'll happen.

Take Corrin for example, he didn't exist when the base roster of Smash 4 was decided, but he made DLC anyway.

Not to support that guy's attitude, but if Rex wasn't seen as a profitable character by Nintendo, then why should we expect a Fire Emblem one to be the opposite?
Because Rex's game came out a year ago while Byleth's game is coming out now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Perhaps the reason Rex didn’t make it into the pass

Is because we’ll be getting a different Xenoblade character...?

Probably not Lora though... I’m thinking someone else...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Timing. Rex wouldn't be seen as probable presumably because his game is pushing two years old.

What do you mean by this?
Nintendo chose the DLC this time around, according to Sakurai. It's very possible that they gave a list of characters for Sakurai to pick from but Rex wasn't included on it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom