• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Imagine being one of those guys that think Ultimate is the last Smash game. How must they feel?
They'll feel stupid before they inevitably jump on the hype train for Smash [subtiltle] and then be afraid that will be the last Smash game.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I find it cute that they think Nintendo will let one of their big five IPs die.

D

Deleted member

I find it cute that they think Nintendo will let one of their big five IPs die.
Considering the Wii series is kinda dead, I think yes. (Realistically though, I don't see smash stopping unless something major happens like Nintendo not wanting for it to continue without Sakurai)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Considering the Wii series is kinda dead, I think yes. (Realistically though, I don't see smash stopping unless something major happens like Nintendo not wanting for it to continue without Sakurai)
To be fair, the Wii series games were only related to the Wii console and they were usually shipped alongside the console as a way to show how the system works. It never was going to survive past the Wii since it was only related to that one console. Smash is multi-generational and has appeared in multiple different consoles.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Splatoon?

Probably not
The last two are not bigger than Smash.
The Wii series died because it's main gimmick died with its namesake console. I'm sure Nintendo would keep it going if they were still making Wii branded consoles.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I know its too early to talk about this but seeing how we know Nintendo sprung the idea of DLC onto the team, do you guys think due to popularity/success we'll get another fighter pass?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Nintendo's big 5 are Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, Mario Kart, and Smash.
But Splatoon and Animal Crossing are definitely AAA Nintendo IPs.
Nintendo is just so full of quality franchises, and they are able to experiment with new IPs with great success.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Cross post from the Andy thread. I wanted to share a theory with you guys in regards to Andy's chances for DLC. Below is a link to the document.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lki3oxDDBljoZGMVU5jCFyICkkD6ak1O/view

You guys might write his chances off and I wouldn't blame you for that but I touched upon a lot of interesting finds which are very particular such as the Advance Wars Spirits in Ultimate, the removal of the Infantry & Tanks AT, and Andy's spirit himself.

Would really appreciate if y'all checked it out. And even if you think it's wack read it with an open mind.

D

Deleted member

Cross post from the Andy thread. I wanted to share a theory with you guys in regards to Andy's chances for DLC. Below is a link to the document.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lki3oxDDBljoZGMVU5jCFyICkkD6ak1O/view

You guys might write his chances off and I wouldn't blame you for that but I touched upon a lot of interesting finds which are very particular such as the Advance Wars Spirits in Ultimate, the removal of the Infantry & Tanks AT, and Andy's spirit himself.

Would really appreciate if y'all checked it out. And even if you think it's wack read it with an open mind.
I would argue that the whole characters you wouldn't expect covers a lot of characters already.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I would argue that the whole characters you wouldn't expect covers a lot of characters already.
True that. I just think a description like that fits the build for a character like Andy. Especially a character people have written off as very unlikely.

Of course as you said, it can describe plenty of characters. Joker & Banjo being the obvious ones as I pointed out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

True that. I just think a description like that fits the build for a character like Andy. Especially a character people have written off as very unlikely.

Of course as you said, it can describe plenty of characters. Joker & Banjo being the obvious ones as I pointed out.
And not the Hero who was too much for Japanese tastes? Or that SE was stingy as ****?

The argument is kinda bad just because I could add an indie character, another Capcom character (since people see it impossible to happen since they have 3 characters already), or whatever other character.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Capcom DOES have a lot of representation in the base game (three fighters, Monster Hunter stuff), but they could also bring in another big icon, right?

Is it crazy to suggest that maybe Nintendo would have to want at least one first party character in the Fighter's Pass, maybe? I get it if they just want it to all guest stars that'll bring in the attention and money. At the same time though, are they okay with JUST Piranha Plant on the Nintendo Fighter DLC side? Not one other new Nintendo franchise to the series other than Splatoon? Did Corrin have a similar thing of "needed a character that isn't third party/a veteran"? Not to mention there could totally be a more lackluster spot revealed last again (Incineroar) and that that's a lot of licensing money (though this is the game with 10 foreign characters from five other companies in the base).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
And not the Hero who was too much for Japanese tastes? Or that SE was stingy as ****?

The argument is kinda bad just because I could add an indie character, another Capcom character (since people see it impossible to happen since they have 3 characters already), or whatever other character.
Yes as I said it applies to a lot of characters, not just specifically Andy. It's just something that helps his chances given he happens to be one of those characters that fit the build.

D

Deleted member

Capcom DOES have a lot of representation in the base game (three fighters, Monster Hunter stuff), but they could also bring in another big icon, right?

Is it crazy to suggest that maybe Nintendo would have to want at least one first party character in the Fighter's Pass, maybe? I get it if they just want it to all guest stars that'll bring in the attention and money. At the same time though, are they okay with JUST Piranha Plant on the Nintendo Fighter DLC side? Not one other new Nintendo franchise to the series other than Splatoon? Did Corrin have a similar thing of "needed a character that isn't third party/a veteran"? Not to mention there could totally be a more lackluster spot revealed last again (Incineroar) and that that's a lot of licensing money (though this is the game with 10 foreign characters from five other companies in the base).
Problem is that realistically, I find it difficult for Nintendo to have a newcomer as Corrin situation seems to have been to have a recent character. Right now the only franchise that hasn't been soft disconfirmed is Astral Chain which is not even out, as Rex being given as a Mii costume for the DLC pass seems kinda damning regarding his chances on the Fighter Pass and Springman seems to have been added as an AT because he couldn't manage to get into the main roster.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Reggie's words mean anything, then I want you all to continue not expecting Steve as well as Sans & Papyrus, Geno, Skull Kid, Porky, etc. so that I can continue my hype train.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Problem is that realistically, I find it difficult for Nintendo to have a newcomer as Corrin situation seems to have been to have a recent character. Right now the only franchise that hasn't been soft disconfirmed is Astral Chain which is not even out, as Rex being given as a Mii costume for the DLC pass seems kinda damning regarding his chances on the Fighter Pass and Springman seems to have been added as an AT because he couldn't manage to get into the main roster.
I thought Astral Chain was third party?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I thought Astral Chain was third party?
I'd assume that it's in the same situation as the Wonderful 101 - created by Platinum Games, but owned by Nintendo. Platinum rarely owns their own creations; games like Bayonetta are owned by Sega.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

To be sincere, I doubt Nintendo would want another Corrin situation. Guy is still considered one of the worst Smash additions to this day.

Also, I've mentioned this before, but if you look at the past game's DLC, you'd see that there's been some kind of preference towards including new franchises in Smash, rather than adding new stuff to the ones already in the game. If Nintendo is rolling with it, then it just means licensing money is not a concern.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Reggie's words mean anything, then I want you all to continue not expecting Steve as well as Sans & Papyrus, Geno, Skull Kid, Porky, etc. so that I can continue my hype train.
Doubt that Microsoft or Squenix will get two reps
Waluigi and Isaac are more likely promoted ATs
I think New Pork City is a bigger deconfirmation for Porky than any spirit would've been, at least for this pass

So...uh...don't worry?

toonito

Smash Ace
My characters to watch for Ultimate's Fighter Pass (assuming DLC is all 3rd Party)

Bethesda
Doom Slayer (Doom)
Dragonborn (Skyrim)

SNK
Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury)
Kyo Kusanagi (King of Fighters)
Nakoruru (Samurai Showdown)

Activision
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)

Koei Tecmo
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Level 5
Jibanyan (Yo-Kai Watch)
Professor Layton (Professor Layton)

Ubisoft
Ezio Auditore (Assassin's Creed)
Rayman (Rayman)

Capcom
Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil)
Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Dante (Devil May Cry)

Namco
Heihachi, Jin, or Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)
Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
Siegfried/Nightmare (Soul Edge/Calibur)
Solaire or Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)

Konami
Frogger (Frogger)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know its too early to talk about this but seeing how we know Nintendo sprung the idea of DLC onto the team, do you guys think due to popularity/success we'll get another fighter pass?
I like to think so, and I think the Hero and Banjo combination is sure to boost sales numbers through the roof to allow that to happen

D

Deleted member

Depends, another pass like this one with Fighter+Stage+Music+Spirits? Not much. A pass with Fighter+Spirits+Maybe some tunes? A bit more likely.

Overall I wouldn't take it as certain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm betting on no. It's possible but really, I think Sakurai and the team want a break. And they deserve it. Unless they're really easy echo fighters or something. But I doubt that too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say the chances of a second pass are 35% but for more DLC outside a pass I'd put about 60%.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
If we get any DLC characters outside of the Fighter Pass, I think it'll likely be a Corrin-type situation where Sakurai and/or the Dev Team really liked a 1st party character and managed to convince Nintendo to give them enough additional funds to work on it in addition to the FP characters. And I don't see anybody on the Smash team having any urgency in including either series regulars like Waluigi/Bandana Dee/Dixie or new series without a rep like ARMS/Astral Chains.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
To be sincere, I doubt Nintendo would want another Corrin situation. Guy is still considered one of the worst Smash additions to this day.

Also, I've mentioned this before, but if you look at the past game's DLC, you'd see that there's been some kind of preference towards including new franchises in Smash, rather than adding new stuff to the ones already in the game. If Nintendo is rolling with it, then it just means licensing money is not a concern.
Is it crazy to think Nintendo would want at least one new franchise of their own to add tho, instead of it just being Splatoon for Ultimate? Again, not the most easy option compared to all 3rd parties, but they're getting ****ed in their own game here!
My characters to watch for Ultimate's Fighter Pass (assuming DLC is all 3rd Party)

Bethesda
Doom Slayer (Doom)

SNK

Activision

Koei Tecmo
Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Level 5
Jibanyan (Yo-Kai Watch)

Ubisoft
Rayman (Rayman)

Capcom

Namco

Konami
Frogger (Frogger)
I reeeeeeally have to wonder if "one of the Dead or Alive chicks" would be a surefire pick for DLC, even as one of the traditional fighter characters??

Also, I'd honestly be down for a less intensive clone/no new franchises pass for the same reason as why Echo fighters were a good idea. Imagine getting Tails as a semiclone of Sonic, maybe Dixie Kong too.

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
I'm betting on no. It's possible but really, I think Sakurai and the team want a break. And they deserve it. Unless they're really easy echo fighters or something. But I doubt that too.
No question that Sakurai deserves a break, but he seems like the kind of person that when he finally gets a chance to sit down, he would just want to go back to work again.

And also considering how well this game has sold/ is selling Nintendo would be incredibly stupid to not capitalize on this. No way they don't have a second fighter pass.

D

Deleted member

Bethesda
Doom Slayer (Doom)

SNK

Activision

Koei Tecmo
Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

Level 5
Jibanyan (Yo-Kai Watch)

Ubisoft
Rayman (Rayman)

Capcom

Namco

Konami
Frogger (Frogger)
Risky thought here, but maybe Pitfall Harry could be added on this list as part of the Activision picks.

osby

Smash Obsessed
And also considering how well this game has sold/ is selling Nintendo would be incredibly stupid to not capitalize on this. No way they don't have a second fighter pass.
They are already capitalizing on it by making the pass.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Because they also need to fund other projects outside of Smash and the game can't get new stuff forever.
DLC is made by a smaller team than the base game. And of course it can't get new stuff forever, seeing as how SFV doesn't seem to be getting a fourth pass any time soon, and the game is only set up for 16 DLC fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom