• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I will start saying that i WANT Dark Souls in smash.. after Castlevania was added. Dark souls would be the only other franchise that would truly meltme and make me fansquirm being added into smash.

I want to also say that i never played a dragonquest game and i don't care much about that series. and i ove teh idea of doom marine.

Why im telling this? because i want you guys to understand that it would love this leak to be true, but honestly this google leak is totally fake.

why? besides there is literally no water to hold it together, Artorias, the bold claim of the leak (that havent been leaked or fake leaked before) makes 0 sense.

I will bring an analogy regarding link and sheik. Having artorias would be like having sheik without link. I'm using this analogy because i want to ilustrate that by no means sheik can't be a popular smash character (she is) and is perfectly ok for her to have a made up moveset that works in smash and doesn't translate anything about playing any Zelda. but thats because we already have Link.

Darksouls rep while certainly would rep whatever character it would rep, it would also be repping Darksouls as a whole. and if there is a way to translate dark souls gameplay and mechanics into smash, they WILL be translated (stamina mangement, reach and space management, health management, guarding, etc etc etc...).

That being said, is possible for the player character to emulate artorias, and play like artorias, but for that you need to first beat artorias, so isn't exactly something that is the first impression someone have with the game. and so is not near the quintaessential dark souls experience. this would sound strange, but probably every dark souls player have gravitated towards a shield first. not because is the mos efective weapon or build, but because is the easier one to learn the game. even if you then go to other weapons, not every dark souls player have mastered the 2 handed swords (and artorias sword isnt even a normal 2 handed sword) but every dark souls player have learnt the game. (when i say dark souls players, im talking about at least a 25 hour investment).

Dark souls isn't THAT hard of a game, but is a game you HAVE to learn. and the best weapon to learn the game is a shield, as it gives you space to observe and understand its mechanics. thats why i firmly believe that shield + something, prolly sword is the most quintaessential dark souls weapon. and thats why i think that is either Chosen undead/other avatar player character or Solaire.

Soliare could work as an exception of the "must be the player character" because he is popular, recognizable, in game he does move like a player character, and a player character can emulate solaire, (meaning that wouldnt be out of character for him to move like playing dark souls) and he uses what i believe is the more quintaessential dark souls weapon.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I will start saying that i WANT Dark Souls in smash.. after Castlevania was added. Dark souls would be the only other franchise that would truly meltme and make me fansquirm being added into smash.

I want to also say that i never played a dragonquest game and i don't care much about that series. and i ove teh idea of doom marine.

Why im telling this? because i want you guys to understand that it would love this leak to be true, but honestly this google leak is totally fake.

why? besides there is literally no water to hold it together, Artorias, the bold claim of the leak (that havent been leaked or fake leaked before) makes 0 sense.

I will bring an analogy regarding link and sheik. Having artorias would be like having sheik without link. I'm using this analogy because i want to ilustrate that by no means sheik can't be a popular smash character (she is) and is perfectly ok for her to have a made up moveset that works in smash and doesn't translate anything about playing any Zelda. but thats because we already have Link.

Darksouls rep while certainly would rep whatever character it would rep, it would also be repping Darksouls as a whole. and if there is a way to translate dark souls gameplay and mechanics into smash, they WILL be translated (stamina mangement, reach and space management, health management, guarding, etc etc etc...).

That being said, is possible for the player character to emulate artorias, and play like artorias, but for that you need to first beat artorias, so isn't exactly something that is the first impression someone have with the game. and so is not near the quintaessential dark souls experience. this would sound strange, but probably every dark souls player have gravitated towards a shield first. not because is the mos efective weapon or build, but because is the easier one to learn the game. even if you then go to other weapons, not every dark souls player have mastered the 2 handed swords (and artorias sword isnt even a normal 2 handed sword) but every dark souls player have learnt the game. (when i say dark souls players, im talking about at least a 25 hour investment).

Dark souls isn't THAT hard of a game, but is a game you HAVE to learn. and the best weapon to learn the game is a shield, as it gives you space to observe and understand its mechanics. thats why i firmly believe that shield + something, prolly sword is the most quintaessential dark souls weapon. and thats why i think that is either Chosen undead/other avatar player character or Solaire.

Soliare could work as an exception of the "must be the player character" because he is popular, recognizable, in game he does move like a player character, and a player character can emulate solaire, (meaning that wouldnt be out of character for him to move like playing dark souls) and he uses what i believe is the more quintaessential dark souls weapon.
THANK YOU for this post, I haven't played Dark Souls but my brother is a big fan and when I was talking about that "leak" with him, his first reaction was: "Why the **** Artorias?", then he proceeded to explain to me something similar of what you just said and why, while Artorias is a popular and recognizable pick, that wouldn't make any sense and he would just rather have a boss, just like Monster Hunter has Rathalos instead of a playable hunter, both series would be better represented with bosses than a character.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Those details seem a bit too specific to be credible.

SvartWolf makes a decent point about repping the franchise right. Arguably, Dark Souls is more iconic for its boss battles than anything else, but the same could be said for Monster Hunter.

D

Deleted member

There was this "leak" from February that went unnoticed, claiming Artorias:

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/451188924/#q451188924

but yeah it'd be strange to choose a boss over a main character.
I'm quite sure you could start looking at the threads on /v/ and you would possibly find "leaks" of any character.

Plus the Grinch Hoax had the Chadondorf "leak" on /v/ with the same lineup, so in my humble opinion these don't hold too much water :b

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm quite sure you could start looking at the threads on /v/ and you would possibly find "leaks" of any character.

Plus the Grinch Hoax had the Chadondorf "leak" on /v/ with the same lineup, so in my humble opinion these don't hold too much water :b
If anything, it just rings alarm bells for me and makes it feel more like a 'set-up'. Anything that reminds me even vaguely of the Grinch leak just goes right to the rubbish bin for me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please don't try to partially spell out swear words. Just write them as normal and let the censors catch them.

As for Artorias, he's also basically a previous hero in the lore and extremely popular, becoming the headliner for the definite edition. More or less, this could be comparable to a Chrom situation. He's overall more iconic than Chosen Undead, but can also do way more than he can, making him a viable candidate. Solaire is the other big gun, but I could see them going with abilities that a player character would use, to represent the core gameplay of the series. Basically, Chrom couldn't bring anything new at the time, so they chose Robin instead, who is a majorly important character(and one of the 3 main characters as is. Lucina luckily got in as an Echo likewise. Chrom finally got in Ultimate, as an Echo too, funnily enough). Those have more abilities but also are major characters can also make an excellent playable character. Just like being the mascot isn't the only way to choose a character(Villager got in over Tom Nook, after all), being the player character isn't always the best option(Pokemon Trainer didn't get in over Pikachu either).

There's multiple ways to do it and one option doesn't fit every game. Sometimes just representing the core gameplay is more important than being a mascot or player character alone. So yeah, Artorias getting in when he can do more than the Chosen Undead, is iconic to the series, important to the story, and basically can represent the core gameplay? Makes him absolutely a fine choice. Not saying he's the best choice objectively, but he's not unrealistic either.

wei75631

Smash Rookie
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12/07/nintendo-persona-5s-joker-is-emblematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach
With the exception of P5, there are only four DLC places left. Below, I will only list the Japanese games that I think are the most likely. The Western games may be excluded first (although Rayman, Shovel Knight and Shantae all show up, but not as fighters).

1. Dragon Quest : There has been news that DQ is going to enter the big chaos. I only hope that SQ can give sincerity and not repeat the FF Cloud.

2. Resident Evil : At present, the horror game of SSBU appearance is only the assist trophy of Fatal Frame, which means that the representative of survival horror—RE series also has the right to participate. The premise is to cut the scale like MGS, Bayo and P5, like the original nude of Bayonetta and the bridge of the P5siege enemy spurting. Bayo and Joker can pass the gun management, and the pros in the RE series should be fine. If the so-called “one DLC contains one fighter, one stage, some music” can be changed to “one DLC contains multiple fighters, new bosses and new assist trophies”, such as Jill, Chris, Leon, Claire, Ada Wong, BOWs and Raccoon City, etc. The classic stage can be presented in a group of DLCs.

3. NieR Automata : It is a personal self-sufficiency. In recent years, NieR has made it possible for 2B and 9S to participate in the war. However, what is worrying is the 2B clothing appearance. From the SSBU fighters, there is very little harmony. The appearance of the fighters who have appeared is basically safe, but everyone knows that 2B is characterized by cleavage and white underwear. I really want her to participate. The clothing has been changed, and the bottom line of the SSBU is currently only the tights of ZS Samus and Bayo. 2B is worrying.

4. Professor Layton : The fighters in the battlefield already have action, RPG, shooting, fitness, fighting, RTS, simulation and puzzle. The only thing that seems to be mystery video game is that Layton is definitely a suitable fit.

5. Old classics: The veterans of Mr.Game&Watch, DuckHunt and Pac-Man are loyal to the original in the game, and they have their own stage to restore bitmaps. There are also a few old titles, including DigDug, SpaceInvaders, BubbleBobble and Arkanoid, the possibility of participating in the classic battle is very high, even if you can’t be a fighter, at least give it a stage.

6. Rescuing from assist trophies: Isabelle, Dark Samus, and Little Mac are all selected from the assist trophies. I think Spring Man, Bomberman, Ashley, Dr. Wily, Alucard, and Nikki do have the ability to act as fighters.

I also want to cite the Dante, ChunLi, Amaterasu, Tails, Paper Mario, Marie Rose, Frank West, Raiden, Puyo Puyo, Pyramid Head and Mike Haggar to serve as the stalker of the fighters, stage and assist trophies, but not much time. It is difficult to elaborate. Please ask the department to forget to leave a message and talk about your views. Think about other examples of fighters, stage and assist trophies.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12/07/nintendo-persona-5s-joker-is-emblematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach
With the exception of P5, there are only four DLC places left. Below, I will only list the Japanese games that I think are the most likely. The Western games may be excluded first (although Rayman, Shovel Knight and Shantae all show up, but not as fighters).

1. Dragon Quest : There has been news that DQ is going to enter the big chaos. I only hope that SQ can give sincerity and not repeat the FF Cloud.

2. Resident Evil : At present, the horror game of SSBU appearance is only the assist trophy of Fatal Frame, which means that the representative of survival horror—RE series also has the right to participate. The premise is to cut the scale like MGS, Bayo and P5, like the original nude of Bayonetta and the bridge of the P5siege enemy spurting. Bayo and Joker can pass the gun management, and the pros in the RE series should be fine. If the so-called “one DLC contains one fighter, one stage, some music” can be changed to “one DLC contains multiple fighters, new bosses and new assist trophies”, such as Jill, Chris, Leon, Claire, Ada Wong, BOWs and Raccoon City, etc. The classic stage can be presented in a group of DLCs.

3. NieR Automata : It is a personal self-sufficiency. In recent years, NieR has made it possible for 2B and 9S to participate in the war. However, what is worrying is the 2B clothing appearance. From the SSBU fighters, there is very little harmony. The appearance of the fighters who have appeared is basically safe, but everyone knows that 2B is characterized by cleavage and white underwear. I really want her to participate. The clothing has been changed, and the bottom line of the SSBU is currently only the tights of ZS Samus and Bayo. 2B is worrying.

4. Professor Layton : The fighters in the battlefield already have action, RPG, shooting, fitness, fighting, RTS, simulation and puzzle. The only thing that seems to be mystery video game is that Layton is definitely a suitable fit.

5. Old classics: The veterans of Mr.Game&Watch, DuckHunt and Pac-Man are loyal to the original in the game, and they have their own stage to restore bitmaps. There are also a few old titles, including DigDug, SpaceInvaders, BubbleBobble and Arkanoid, the possibility of participating in the classic battle is very high, even if you can’t be a fighter, at least give it a stage.

6. Rescuing from assist trophies: Isabelle, Dark Samus, and Little Mac are all selected from the assist trophies. I think Spring Man, Bomberman, Ashley, Dr. Wily, Alucard, and Nikki do have the ability to act as fighters.

I also want to cite the Dante, ChunLi, Amaterasu, Tails, Paper Mario, Marie Rose, Frank West, Raiden, Puyo Puyo, Pyramid Head and Mike Haggar to serve as the stalker of the fighters, stage and assist trophies, but not much time. It is difficult to elaborate. Please ask the department to forget to leave a message and talk about your views. Think about other examples of fighters, stage and assist trophies.
I'd be down for a classic arcade rep, be that Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Metal Slug, Bubble Bobble, Ms. Pac-Man or otherwise. Maybe they'd just want Pac-Man for classic Bamco arcade representation tho?

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune

I like this lineup a lot, but I don't think either Professor Layton or Resident Evil would be that good of a choice, and I AM being bias saying this, but Ace Attorney is a video game franchise that can easily "replace" both of them, I LOVE Professor Layton games, but theres is one video game genre that is still missing from the game and that is a visual novel (I think Sakurai has talked about that, if someone has a link i'd really aprecciate it!), while Resident Evil, yeah, it's a very popular franchise more than Ace Attorney, but remember that Mega Man got in Smash way before than Street Fighter, DMC, RE, etc. Im pretty sure popularity is not a valid argument in favor of RE.
Lastly, I can't think of something UNIQUE and DIFFERENT the RE franchise can bring to Smash, besides zombies, perhaps?
I think if Sakurai wanted, he could've easily just made Phoenix Wright an assist, or a spirit, but he didn't, even though that would've been a good choice for a franchise heavily associated to Nintendo which still "deserves" some representation in Smash and an easy feat to accomplish considering Capcom and Nintendo good relationship.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I like this lineup a lot, but I don't think either Professor Layton or Resident Evil would be that good of a choice, and I AM being bias saying this, but Ace Attorney is a video game franchise that can easily "replace" both of them, I LOVE Professor Layton games, but theres is one video game genre that is still missing from the game and that is a visual novel (I think Sakurai has talked about that, if someone has a link i'd really aprecciate it!), while Resident Evil, yeah, it's a very popular franchise more than Ace Attorney, but remember that Mega Man got in Smash way before than Street Fighter, DMC, RE, etc. Im pretty sure popularity is not a valid argument in favor of RE.
Lastly, I can't think of something UNIQUE and DIFFERENT the RE franchise can bring to Smash, besides zombies, perhaps?
I think if Sakurai wanted, he could've easily just made Phoenix Wright an assist, or a spirit, but he didn't, even though that would've been a good choice for a franchise heavily associated to Nintendo which still "deserves" some representation in Smash and an easy feat to accomplish considering Capcom and Nintendo good relationship.
I'm torn between Phoenix and Jill as the Capcom rep but i have to admit that Phoenix would bring more unique elements to the table.

Ornl

Smash Ace

Thank you for sharing.
"All Japanese" theory. The 32 licenses represented by Fighters and Mii were born in Japan. This tradition yet hasn't been broken. As wishes for the ballot, Shovel Knight, Rayman and Shantae have been selected, but they didn't succeed. The first Fighter whose license isn't born in Japan ho will do this opening will have the duty to provoke a general satisfaction... or to be bought by Nintendo definitely ^^

3. The 9 third-party licenses represented by Fighters already have at least one game related at Nintendo. This tradition yet hasn't been broken

5. With Pac-Man, Punch Out!! and Duck Hunt, Sm4sh already would have brought the main content missing to old classics. With Castlevania and probably Dragon Quest, SmashU already would bring the main missing content from the NES. Some consoles already would have a good representation, and others would be able to create new openings. As the first license ever to appear at Nintendo on 3DS, Persona has created a new opening. There yet is no Fighter whose license is born on GBA, NDS or Switch, and there yet is no Fighter whose third-party license is born on GB, NG4 or Wii.
Mini-theory (The elements below aren't indicative of authority, notes are just shared for inviting comparison and fun)
On the basis of :
- the first assumption that Castlevania and Dragon Quest would definitely complete the NES licenses as the latest third-party licenses for the console (6 in total), creating a closing,
- the fact that Persona is the only license that appeared at Nintendo for the first time on 3DS, creating an opening,
this mini-theory imagines which consoles could create new openings, and the others that yet aren't represented by a third-party license.
The concerned licenses would be these :
- GB (closing) : Sakura Wars, Shantae or Tamagoshi.
Non-Japanese : Tetris or Tomb Raider.
- GBA (opening) : Ace Attorney (Leotsune reply), Digimon, Golden Sun, Kingdom Hearts, Rhythm or Tekken.
Non-Japanese : Crash.
- NDS (opening) : Cooking Mama, Professor Layton (your 4th point) or Rune Factory.
Non-Japanese : Assassin's Creed.
- N64 (closing) : Resident Evil (your 2nd point)
Non-Japanese : Banjo or Rayman.
- Wii (closing) : Monster Hunter or Okami.
- Switch (opening) : any portage or indie game.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't trust any rumor that depends on a search engine, especially one with an algorithm that changes whenever you search up something.

D

Deleted member

So I've been looking around the web on info on this "leak" and decided to join the conversation here, I don't understand it very well, did someone confirm the characters using google? That seems very fishy and looks like the Grinch leak all over again, but worse.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So I've been looking around the web on info on this "leak" and decided to join the conversation here, I don't understand it very well, did someone confirm the characters using google? That seems very fishy and looks like the Grinch leak all over again, but worse.
Completely agree. Hell, even the Grinch leak had some names and companies attached to it, but this is just some random, shot-in-the-dark stuff. On top of that, the Artorias 'leak' just a short while beforehand? It just reeks of Grinch 2.0. It seems so obviously like a set-up.

Absolutely positive it means nothing.

D

Deleted member

The fact that Artorias is picked as DLC is very strange considering he only appears as a boss in 1 game's DLC and doesn't reappear in other games, hell even Ornstein makes slightly more sense since he has a different weapon and makes more appearances. As for the other characters it feels too wishlist-y and copies that 5chan leak again with the exception of Erdick(?).

Last edited by a moderator:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Thank you for sharing.
"All Japanese" theory. The 32 licenses represented by Fighters and Mii were born in Japan. This tradition yet hasn't been broken. As wishes for the ballot, Shovel Knight, Rayman and Shantae have been selected, but they didn't succeed. The first Fighter whose license isn't born in Japan ho will do this opening will have the duty to provoke a general satisfaction... or to be bought by Nintendo definitely ^^

3. The 9 third-party licenses represented by Fighters already have at least one game related at Nintendo. This tradition yet hasn't been broken

5. With Pac-Man, Punch Out!! and Duck Hunt, Sm4sh already would have brought the main content missing to old classics. With Castlevania and probably Dragon Quest, SmashU already would bring the main missing content from the NES. Some consoles already would have a good representation, and others would be able to create new openings. As the first license ever to appear at Nintendo on 3DS, Persona has created a new opening. There yet is no Fighter whose license is born on GBA, NDS or Switch, and there yet is no Fighter whose third-party license is born on GB, NG4 or Wii.
Mini-theory (The elements below aren't indicative of authority, notes are just shared for inviting comparison and fun)
On the basis of :
- the first assumption that Castlevania and Dragon Quest would definitely complete the NES licenses as the latest third-party licenses for the console (6 in total), creating a closing,
- the fact that Persona is the only license that appeared at Nintendo for the first time on 3DS, creating an opening,
this mini-theory imagines which consoles could create new openings, and the others that yet aren't represented by a third-party license.
The concerned licenses would be these :
- GB (closing) : Sakura Wars, Shantae or Tamagoshi.
Non-Japanese : Tetris or Tomb Raider.
- GBA (opening) : Ace Attorney (Leotsune reply), Digimon, Golden Sun, Kingdom Hearts, Rhythm or Tekken.
Non-Japanese : Crash.
- NDS (opening) : Cooking Mama, Professor Layton (your 4th point) or Rune Factory.
Non-Japanese : Assassin's Creed.
- N64 (closing) : Resident Evil (your 2nd point)
Non-Japanese : Banjo or Rayman.
- Wii (closing) : Monster Hunter or Okami.
- Switch (opening) : any portage or indie game.
Sm4sh would have had a GBA-originating fighter franchise had the Rhythm Paradise character gotten in.

After the Grinch fiasco that still managed to be fake despite things seemingly lining up, the only reason these bogus leaks should still be given the time of day is because some game journalists are having a slow news day...

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The fact that Artorias is picked as DLC is very strange considering he only appears as a boss in 1 game's DLC and doesn't reappear in other games, hell even Ornstein makes slightly more sense since he has a different weapon and makes more appearances. As for the other characters it feels too wishlist-y and copies that 5chan leak again with the exception of Erdick(?).
Well, it copies 2 of that 5chan leak's characters (Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa) while switching Erdrick and Steve out for Artorias and BK.

D

Deleted member

Well, it copies 2 of that 5chan leak's characters (Doomguy and Ryu Hayabusa) while switching Erdrick and Steve out for Artorias and BK.
Yes, it's still similar.

By the way, where did this leak originate from? A Discord?

D

Deleted member

I believe it was PapaGenos' Discord, but please do correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm going to check it out.

But remember guys, really unexpected stuff happens with DLC, don't always assume these "leaks" are right.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
With that bomb of Super Mario Maker 2 information coming within a day of announcement, and similar occurrences to Smash news in the past, it makes me wonder if there'll be similar short notice information dropping for a Smash direct before the end of May or early June. Cause at this point it's assumingly not going to be directly E3 related as we know the schedule of that, unless it's merely briefly within the E3 direct or something with just one character reveal. After all, it looks like their direct is freed up from more Mario Maker 2 info now, so why not Smash info too?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
With that bomb of Super Mario Maker 2 information coming within a day of announcement, and similar occurrences to Smash news in the past, it makes me wonder if there'll be similar short notice information dropping for a Smash direct before the end of May or early June. Cause at this point it's assumingly not going to be directly E3 related as we know the schedule of that, unless it's merely briefly within the E3 direct or something with just one character reveal. After all, it looks like their direct is freed up from more Mario Maker 2 info now, so why not Smash info too?
Back in 2015, we had a Super Smash Bros. Direct merely 2 days before Nintendo's E3 Presentation.

It's possible we could have a similar case for this year.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Back in 2015, we had a Super Smash Bros. Direct merely 2 days before Nintendo's E3 Presentation.

It's possible we could have a similar case for this year.
I think they would've put that on the E3 schedule if that was the case.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they didn't do that in 2015. Even if they did, who's to say they'd do that again?
I did some searching and it turns out they added the Smash Direct later.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
If the rumors about a fabled Microsoft rep are true, then I think the way E3 will go down is:
Challenger Pack 2 (Banjo/Steve/Wildcard MS rep) gets revealed at Microsoft's E3 conference, as a PR stunt along the lines of "In order to show you, the fans, how committed we are to working with Nintendo, we'd like to show you the newest challenger in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate" etc. Sakurai comes up on stage after the trailer and talks about what a dream it's been to work with MS and have their characters in his game, yada yada. Releases right after the presentation ends.
Challenger Pack 3 (Capcom/Konami/Bandai-Namco/First Party rep) gets revealed at Nintendo's E3 direct and comes out in August or September.
You might ask "Where's the Square rep?" and that's because I am seriously doubting we get a Square Enix character at all with how bad their attitude regarding Cloud and Final Fantasy representation has been.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Let's be honest here.

If Western characters can't get in because of Sakurai not wanting to invite the developers over or he doesn't want to travel outside Japan + get help to do so, then he probably would've talked about problems going to E3 or would've acted like Banjo-Kazooie had more reasons to not get in back in Melee than just legal stuffs. He probably would've had some trouble even if Rare was still making games for Nintendo, yet people say they'd be more-likely if they were despite Sakurai probably still wanting to speak to the creators so that he can make sure he portrays the characters accurately.

If he and Nintendo want a character from the West, they're not going to let traveling keep them from doing so, if they even "need" to travel in the first place.

Last edited:

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
Let's be honest here.

If Western characters can't get in because of Sakurai not wanting to invite the developers over or he doesn't want to travel outside Japan + get help to do so, then he probably would've talked about problems going to E3 or would've acted like Banjo-Kazooie had more reasons to not get in back in Melee than just legal stuffs. He probably would've had some trouble even if Rare was still making games for Nintendo, yet people say they'd be more-likely if they were despite Sakurai probably still wanting to speak to the creators so that he can make sure he portrays the characters accurately.

If he and Nintendo want a character from the West, they're not going to let traveling keep them from doing so, if they even "need" to travel in the first place.
Didn't Sakurai even say that he rarely handles negotiations with third parties and just lets Nintendo handle it?

D

Deleted member

Didn't Sakurai even say that he rarely handles negotiations with third parties and just lets Nintendo handle it?
Yes but Sakurai likes to talk to the creators on who to represent the character ingame.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If the rumors about a fabled Microsoft rep are true, then I think the way E3 will go down is:
Challenger Pack 2 (Banjo/Steve/Wildcard MS rep) gets revealed at Microsoft's E3 conference, as a PR stunt along the lines of "In order to show you, the fans, how committed we are to working with Nintendo, we'd like to show you the newest challenger in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate" etc. Sakurai comes up on stage after the trailer and talks about what a dream it's been to work with MS and have their characters in his game, yada yada. Releases right after the presentation ends.
Challenger Pack 3 (Capcom/Konami/Bandai-Namco/First Party rep) gets revealed at Nintendo's E3 direct and comes out in August or September.
You might ask "Where's the Square rep?" and that's because I am seriously doubting we get a Square Enix character at all with how bad their attitude regarding Cloud and Final Fantasy representation has been.
I don't think that any Smash Ultimate info will be confirmed at Microsoft's E3 conference unless they outright announce that they are porting Ultimate to the XBox One.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Is there credibility to the theory all those Square DLC rumours were just Square wanting to make Cloud DLC again??

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Is there credibility to the theory all those Square DLC rumours were just Square wanting to make Cloud DLC again??
There is none. It's all a rumor derivative of Sakurai vaguely stating that everyone is here almost didn't happen. Cloud is datamined as one of the last characters, if not the last character added, IIRC. People drew their own conclusions from there. Square being difficult to work with over Cloud, at the very least, is a rumor that holds some water. Nothing's confirmed, though.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There is none. It's all a rumor derivative of Sakurai vaguely stating that everyone is here almost didn't happen. Cloud is datamined as one of the last characters, if not the last character added, IIRC. People drew their own conclusions from there. Square being difficult to work with over Cloud, at the very least, is a rumor that holds some water. Nothing's confirmed, though.
It makes sense considering the barebones amount of content that Final Fantasy has, both in Smash 4 and Ultimate.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It makes sense considering the barebones amount of content that Final Fantasy has, both in Smash 4 and Ultimate.
Yeah. Despite nothing being 100% certain to the public, I'm pretty sure Square wasn't willing to cooperate much. Then again, I know some of FF's music and assets are in copyright hell, but I'm not well-versed on the subject there. Square being difficult as hell makes sense in my mind, though, at least with FF. Even with Geno and Mallow, all we got were their two PNGs. We don't even have any SMRPG music despite Yoko Shimomura being on the team. Finicky buggers, I tells ya.

D

Deleted member

I doubt that MS is going to announce anything Smash related, just imagine: "Hey guys, we're putting a DLC character in Smash now go buy a Switch and Smash". Which honestly sounds really bad for them as they would be promoting Nintendo on their own stage.
I remember that Tansut mentioned that Cloud was costly, but he didn't go into any details about the process apart from that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I doubt that MS is going to announce anything Smash related, just imagine: "Hey guys, we're putting a DLC character in Smash now go buy a Switch and Smash". Which honestly sounds really bad for them as they would be promoting Nintendo on their own stage.
Nothing beyond what they already do. They advertise stuff like Minecraft being on Switch on their Twitter account and have done so at E3 as well. If they didn't want to give the Switch free press they wouldn't have let Cuphead release on it. At least by announcing it themselves they get to benefit from the good PR.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nothing beyond what they already do. They advertise stuff like Minecraft being on Switch on their Twitter account and have done so at E3 as well. If they didn't want to give the Switch free press they wouldn't have let Cuphead release on it. At least by announcing it themselves they get to benefit from the good PR.
Except it would be a bad move to announce Smash Ultimate DLC at their conference unless they plan to put Ultimate on the XBox One itself. It would give their competition free advertising otherwise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom