• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So since this is a topic... What would be the chances of Captain N happening if they'd now include tv shows and comics?

Yes, Captain N originated in a comic book, but inside Nintendo Offices. Then the cartoon was outsourced (now including 3rd party characters) which is why Simon and Megaman are so different from their source material).
IMO, nothing more than a Mii costume at best. He has zero appearances in games. He also wasn't made of the games, unlike R.O.B.

And I doubt that too because, let's be honest, the show is hated, and the Comics didn't do much better.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Captain N is also not actually owned by Nintendo, so I doubt they’d go through the trouble of licensing him for a Mii Costume.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Captain N is also not actually owned by Nintendo, so I doubt they’d go through the trouble of licensing him for a Mii Costume.
Actually, he's 100% owned by Nintendo.

They don't own the rights to distribute the cartoon, but own all the comic rights and rights to the show characters and designs. DiC is the only one allowed to distribute the cartoon. He's always been a literal Nintendo character. There's no rights issues at all. There's just little reason to give him a costume when he never had a game cameo of sorts. Couple that with how badly his show went, and anything more than references don't sound like a great idea. If he was a base roster Mii costume, nobody would be bothered that much(to cause a riot, at least), since he's literally all about Nintendo(okay, not many would, maybe?), however, he would never sell as a DLC costume due to both obscurity and pointless hatred.

A Nintendo Power employee actually made the character and then Nintendo scooped up the rights without even giving the creator credit. It was pretty much theirs to grab, since it was literally made among Nintendo itself.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Actually, he's 100% owned by Nintendo.

They don't own the rights to distribute the cartoon, but own all the comic rights and rights to the show characters and designs. DiC is the only one allowed to distribute the cartoon. He's always been a literal Nintendo character. There's no rights issues at all. There's just little reason to give him a costume when he never had a game cameo of sorts. Couple that with how badly his show went, and anything more than references don't sound like a great idea. If he was a base roster Mii costume, nobody would be bothered that much(to cause a riot, at least), since he's literally all about Nintendo(okay, not many would, maybe?), however, he would never sell as a DLC costume due to both obscurity and pointless hatred.

A Nintendo Power employee actually made the character and then Nintendo scooped up the rights without even giving the creator credit. It was pretty much theirs to grab, since it was literally made among Nintendo itself.
Oh okay, thanks for clarifying. That’s funny, DIC owns the cartoon but Nintendo owns the characters themselves?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh okay, thanks for clarifying. That’s funny, DIC owns the cartoon but Nintendo owns the characters themselves?
DiC doesn't own the cartoon. They own the distribution rights. All the content belongs to Nintendo(or their other respective companies, like Square-Enix for Dragonlord, etc.) instead. Nintendo can't actually distribute the show. If I remember right, DiC actually worked on the unique designs, despite not having any rights to their IP's whatsoever. Which makes sense, as they were all completely owned by other companies. Every OC character was owned by Nintendo instead. They couldn't use the IP easily otherwise, but that's how the agreement is.

And no problem. I actually didn't find this out till around last year sometime.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
DiC doesn't own the cartoon. They own the distribution rights. All the content belongs to Nintendo(or their other respective companies, like Square-Enix for Dragonlord, etc.) instead. Nintendo can't actually distribute the show. If I remember right, DiC actually worked on the unique designs, despite not having any rights to their IP's whatsoever. Which makes sense, as they were all completely owned by other companies. Every OC character was owned by Nintendo instead. They couldn't use the IP easily otherwise, but that's how the agreement is.

And no problem. I actually didn't find this out till around last year sometime.
Ah okay, I get it. Kinda like The Incredible Hulk, where Marvel owns the rights to the property but Universal gets to distribute any movie.

Do you have a source for this? Just in case.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ah okay, I get it. Kinda like The Incredible Hulk, where Marvel owns the rights to the property but Universal gets to distribute any movie.

Do you have a source for this? Just in case.
This'll take a while. I actually had to look it up for our character thread rules. Namely, since Captain N was owned by Nintendo, we could potentially have a thread on him. In a twist, he has no official game appearances(MUGEN counts as much as Touhoumon does), meaning we had to close the thread.

GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 https://archive.is/20130916223607/http://www.nintendoplayer.com/the-man-behind-captain-nintendo/ There you go. As nobody else owned Nintendo Power but Nintendo, that means they by default have to own the character.

Mind you, there is actually no known data on whether they still own him or not, but they definitely owned him originally.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
You'd have to ask whether Nintendo of Japan is that content with referencing their American Nintendo content of the past like Captain N, Nester and the DiC cartoons.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
You know, it's pretty sad that Piranha Plant is going to be the last Nintendo character to be added to the roster. Krystal, Isaac, Midna, Ashley, Takamaru, Waluigi, Black Knight, the entire series of ARMS, Dillon, Skull Kid, Lyn, Rex, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Dixie Kong, Lip, Saki, and Rex & Pyra are deconfirmed for the current Fighters Pass, so is there any noteworthy Nintendo character left to be added into Smash Bros as paid DLC? Elma and Bandana Waddle Dee are good characters but not many Xenoblade fan were asking for Elma and BWD doesn't seem like he would be worth $6, I like him but should be in the base roster.

What Nintendo characters are left?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You know, it's pretty sad that Piranha Plant is going to be the last Nintendo character to be added to the roster. Krystal, Isaac, Midna, Ashley, Takamaru, Waluigi, Black Knight, the entire series of ARMS, Dillon, Skull Kid, Lyn, Rex, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Dixie Kong, Lip, Saki, and Rex & Pyra are deconfirmed for the current Fighters Pass, so is there any noteworthy Nintendo character left to be added into Smash Bros as paid DLC? Elma and Bandana Waddle Dee are good characters but not many Xenoblade fan were asking for Elma and BWD doesn't seem like he would be worth $6, I like him but should be in the base roster.

We don't know who else will be DLC.

And it's not sad, honestly. We got quite a few notable ones in Ultimate already. He's just a fun bonus.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

There's Porky, and if you don't think Spirits disconfirm, there's Ninten, King Boo, I'm sure many others I can't think of off the top of my head...

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
There's Porky, and if you don't think Spirits disconfirm, there's Ninten, King Boo, I'm sure many others I can't think of off the top of my head...
Why would they add any of these characters? Isn't the fighters pass about making money and getting people interested in the series? I can gaurentee you that almost 100% of the characters you listed really don't deserve to be in smash commercially and critically.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Why would they add any of these characters? Isn't the fighters pass about making money and getting people interested in the series? I can gaurentee you that almost 100% of the characters you listed really don't deserve to be in smash commercially and critically.
That's just, like, your opinion, man... If Lucas sold, Ninten and Porky will sell, especially since anyone who likes Mother/EarthBound including anyone who is interested because of Smash will very likely buy them - they could probably promote a Mother Trilogy or something if Nintendo actually releases one. King Boo is a Mario character and can promote Luigi's Mansion 3 so he'd be easy to sell. Many other characters can be sold for similar/the same reasons.

No character "deserves" to be in Smash, anyway. What other Nintendo characters do you think would "deserve" it if we get any in the DLC? I can't think of any that actually match your criteria except maybe Waluigi and Bandana Dee, and Waluigi is most-likely not gonna get added.

Hey, no one knew Corrin outside of Japan and he/she still sold outside there.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
"Guarantee" and "deserve" seem like strong words, especially since for the Nintendo characters in Smash 4's DLC, two of them were from Japan-exclusive games (people outside of Japan would mainly know them from Smash Bros., and they didn't have as much demand as characters like Mewtwo, Snake, or Ice Climbers), and one of them was from a game that hadn't been released outside of Japan when he was revealed. (and that game had come under fire for seeming like one game for the price of three)

As well, they chose Lucas over Wolf, even though both seem like they'd be about as easy to remake and Wolf has the advantage of being from games that were released outside of Japan, and Lucas is from the same series as Porky and Ninten.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Isn't the fighters pass about making money and getting people interested in the series
Those are two contradictory statements. Sure they want to make money. But that 2nd part makes it sound like the fighter pass is supposed to be more advertisement then meaningful DLC. They also have to gauge SOME fan reactions/wants. If you make your audience think all they are doing is buying advertisements for upcoming games, the fighter pass isn't going to go down well.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course, 3rd parties are heavily wanted too. But yeah, we can still get 1st party DLC as well. The next update might have more information to datamine, so who knows what'll happen. Of course, nothing could change for the stats on Jack and Brave(that's what I mean by "might have more information", as it could have new character files akin to that).

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Really... King Boo? That's feels like the bottom of the barrel right there.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
*shrug* I think he'd be cool, but mainly 'cause he's a ghost.

I'd still prefer Geno...I guess he sorta counts as a Nintendo character...?
By proxy of showing up on Nintendo, yes. He's more "tied to Nintendo" than a proper Nintendo character. Being purely owned by Square-Enix and all.

It's like how Cloud is tied to the PlayStation, but is a Square-Enix character. Of course, the more popular one is playable while the other has a smaller role, but it also helps one is way more iconic too.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I’d fork out $6 for Bandanna Dee. I’d buy the entire Fighter Pass just for Bandanna Dee. Some characters are just overdue for Smash.

I can agree with you that I would have liked to get a couple more newcomers to get more awesome Nintendo characters and franchises represented, but ah well, there’s always next game.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I’d fork out $6 for Bandanna Dee. I’d buy the entire Fighter Pass just for Bandanna Dee. Some characters are just overdue for Smash.

I can agree with you that I would have liked to get a couple more newcomers to get more awesome Nintendo characters and franchises represented, but ah well, there’s always next game.
Same. We got a lot already, and it's awesome that we did, but let's be real...

I'd buy the entire Fighter's Pass for Banjo or Geno. Hell, I'd spend fifty bucks just to get those two. In fact, Nintendo, take my bank account. It is yours.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Those are two contradictory statements. Sure they want to make money. But that 2nd part makes it sound like the fighter pass is supposed to be more advertisement then meaningful DLC. They also have to gauge SOME fan reactions/wants. If you make your audience think all they are doing is buying advertisements for upcoming games, the fighter pass isn't going to go down well.
One character was used for advertisement.... sorry if it sounded odd but that's not what I wanted to say.

That's just, like, your opinion, man... If Lucas sold, Ninten and Porky will sell, especially since anyone who likes Mother/EarthBound including anyone who is interested because of Smash will very likely buy them - they could probably promote a Mother Trilogy or something if Nintendo actually releases one. King Boo is a Mario character and can promote Luigi's Mansion 3 so he'd be easy to sell. Many other characters can be sold for similar/the same reasons.

No character "deserves" to be in Smash, anyway. What other Nintendo characters do you think would "deserve" it if we get any in the DLC? I can't think of any that actually match your criteria except maybe Waluigi and Bandana Dee, and Waluigi is most-likely not gonna get added.

Hey, no one knew Corrin outside of Japan and he/she still sold outside there.
I know it's my opinion.. and you have yours. Lucas probably didn't do that great and most of the sales he got wasn't from the Mother community.... he was a legacy character and if he hadn't been in brawl he likely would have never been to the DLC. Ninten are not only obscure Nintendo characters but irrelevant ones too... why would they ever put them in smash (Remember it's just my opinion). And king boo wouldn't promise anything... Hasn't Nintendo learned from Corrin? We don't even know if he'll been in 3.

I really don't think Nintendo characters will be on the fighters pass. Waddle dee and Waluigi have missed their train.

There's a difference between sold and sold well. She most likely did not meet Nintendo's sales numbers.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One character was used for advertisement.... sorry if it sounded odd but that's not what I wanted to say.
But not what sealed the deal. Corrin was considered due to advertisement. What got him in for sure was his unique moveset. He almost didn't make it, if it weren't for the team convincing Sakurai to do so.

We have no precedent that tons of advertisement picks are actually a key thing. Joker has yet to show that in any way, as Persona 5 is not coming out on the Switch at any point to our knowledge. Even then, it's not like it'd be the only reason he got in. Sakurai noted how much he liked the game, so it being that kind of bias far more likely had a role than advertisement.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I know it's my opinion.. and you have yours. Lucas probably didn't do that great and most of the sales he got wasn't from the Mother community.... he was a legacy character and if he hadn't been in brawl he likely would have never been to the DLC. Ninten are not only obscure Nintendo characters but irrelevant ones too... why would they ever put them in smash (Remember it's just my opinion). And king boo wouldn't promise anything... Hasn't Nintendo learned from Corrin? We don't even know if he'll been in 3.

I really don't think Nintendo characters will be on the fighters pass. Waddle dee and Waluigi have missed their train.

There's a difference between sold and sold well. She most likely did not meet Nintendo's sales numbers.
They put other "irrelevant" characters in Smash so idk. What other characters would they use for advertisement anyway, other than Steve if Minecraft Dungeons is on Switch, or Doomguy?

There's a jewel on the top section of the hotel in Luigi's Mansion 3 that matches the jewel in King Boo's crown, plus he's the main villain of the series so it'd be weird if he's not in the game but it's possible, yeah.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
*shrug* I think he'd be cool, but mainly 'cause he's a ghost.

I'd still prefer Geno...I guess he sorta counts as a Nintendo character...?
I consider Geno to be more of a third party character since Square Enix own the rights for him. I would love Geno but I don't have a good feeling about him being in as DLC for this wave.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

The next game won't be a thing for another 8 to 10 years and the DLC is now. I hate that because that means that we shouldn't be looking forward to the DLC or any future update for Ultimate. I hope they continue to make DLC and start turning Assist and Mii Costumes into Fighters since they have an open slot for 30 characters.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
But not what sealed the deal. Corrin was considered due to advertisement. What got him in for sure was his unique moveset. He almost didn't make it, if it weren't for the team convincing Sakurai to do so.

We have no precedent that tons of advertisement picks are actually a key thing. Joker has yet to show that in any way, as Persona 5 is not coming out on the Switch at any point to our knowledge. Even then, it's not like it'd be the only reason he got in. Sakurai noted how much he liked the game, so it being that kind of bias far more likely had a role than advertisement.
Exactly. :kirbymelee:

They put other "irrelevant" characters in Smash so idk. What other characters would they use for advertisement anyway, other than Steve if Minecraft Dungeons is on Switch, or Doomguy?

There's a jewel on the top section of the hotel in Luigi's Mansion 3 that matches the jewel in King Boo's crown, plus he's the main villain of the series so it'd be weird if he's not in the game but it's possible, yeah.
They most likely won't use characters for advertising, Steve and Doomguy would have to make it in on their own merits. The jewel is just an easter egg, a reference, it most likely means nothing. FE needs a villain so does Splatoon, just because your the main villain... doesn't mean you deserve to be in smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
They most likely won't use characters for advertising, Steve and Doomguy would have to make it in on their own merits. The jewel is just an easter egg, a reference, it most likely means nothing. FE needs a villain so does Splatoon, just because your the main villain... doesn't mean you deserve to be in smash.
I don't think they will use characters just for ads, I thought that's what you were talking about. I honestly don't think any character "deserves" to be in Smash, I just want who I want, and I'm sure most people feel the same way; saying a character deserves to be in just sounds like heavy bias, plus most people just care about the character itself.

I still believe King Boo would be in the new Luigi's Mansion, though; it wouldn't make any sense if they got rid of him, especially if the boos are still in the game like always.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Imagine 30 DLC characters. Christ if Banjo or Geno still don't find their way into smash with that many chances I don't think they'll ever get in.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The next game won't be a thing for another 8 to 10 years and the DLC is now. I hate that because that means that we shouldn't be looking forward to the DLC or any future update for Ultimate. I hope they continue to make DLC and start turning Assist and Mii Costumes into Fighters since they have an open slot for 30 characters.
Small correction: They don't have placeholder slots for thirty characters. They have slots for thirty character models. That means new characters and model-changing alternate costumes for characters count towards those slots. For instance, PP's pot alt counts as a separate one, I'm pretty sure, meaning PP takes two slots. Corrin has a male and female alt, so they take two slots. Bowser Jr. has all the Koopalings in all eight slots... and so on.

SPEN18

Smash Champion

But it's not just that Corrin was considered due to advertisement; it's also that advertisement is basically the only reason he was suggested in the first place. If he wasn't an advertisement pick then he almost surely wouldn't have been seriously considered no matter how unique his moveset could be. A thousand characters could be just as unique as Corrin; uniqueness is more like a quality-check that he passed, not a merit that he had over a number of other characters. Corrin was definitely chosen to advertise FE: Fates; uniqueness is just the main reason that Sakurai didn't "veto" the suggestion.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...-corrin-and-bayonetta-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

"Sakurai mentions that since they’ve been making DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, they’ve been thinking about adding a character from a title that’s about to or just saw release. The game of choice here falls to Fire Emblem Fates, which came out in Japan back in June and will be heading west in February. Sakurai writes that he himself thought they were adding too many characters from Fire Emblem, but after speaking with the development staff, he was assured that Corrin would make for an interesting fighter. "

The first sentence is key. They were looking explicitly for a character from a recent or upcoming game, and Corrin was considered a good enough choice to fit this bill.

He's just a fun bonus.
A "fun bonus" that made lots of people angry (for reasons other than just missing out on a favorite), and drastically lowered the bar for entry into Smash (which makes the choice extremely hard to justify compared to other characters)

Really... King Boo? That's feels like the bottom of the barrel right there.
Perhaps, although I think that PP was probably beneath King Boo in that barrel.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But it's not just that Corrin was considered due to advertisement; it's also that advertisement is basically the only reason he was suggested in the first place. If he wasn't an advertisement pick then he almost surely wouldn't have been seriously considered no matter how unique his moveset could be. A thousand characters could be just as unique as Corrin; uniqueness is more like a quality-check that he passed, not a merit that he had over a number of other characters. Corrin was definitely chosen to advertise FE: Fates; uniqueness is just the main reason that Sakurai didn't "veto" the suggestion.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...-corrin-and-bayonetta-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

"Sakurai mentions that since they’ve been making DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS, they’ve been thinking about adding a character from a title that’s about to or just saw release. The game of choice here falls to Fire Emblem Fates, which came out in Japan back in June and will be heading west in February. Sakurai writes that he himself thought they were adding too many characters from Fire Emblem, but after speaking with the development staff, he was assured that Corrin would make for an interesting fighter. "

The first sentence is key. They were looking explicitly for a character from a recent or upcoming game, and Corrin was considered a good enough choice to fit this bill.
So? Big deal. That's how you figure out some choices. They were out of feasible choices and wanted to fill a quota. This happens all the time.

You don't have to like it, but he still got in for reasons beyond advertising regardless.

A "fun bonus" that made lots of people angry (for reasons other than just missing out on a favorite), and drastically lowered the bar for entry into Smash (which makes the choice extremely hard to justify compared to other characters)
A tiny minority that can't stand the thought of a unique character if it isn't who they and only they want. Not seeing the issue. And there was no bar for entry, anyway. Video game character or bust was the only actual bar, btw. That was the sole requirement to even be considered. Sakurai's standards aren't high, actually.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, Piranha Plant is now playable.

I dunno about you guys, but I’m going to celebrate by watching the new Grinch movie. (Not a joke, btw, I’ve a schedule of animated movies to watch and this one landed today. What are the odds?)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I dunno about you guys, but I’m going to celebrate by watching the new Grinch movie. (Not a joke, btw, I’ve a schedule of animated movies to watch and this one landed today. What are the odds?)
About that it’s even worse for that now

Piranha plant was added to the everybody is here banner

Piranaha plant is under king K. Rool and next to Lucas and lucario

But the best part Palutena guidance is not gonna be “whoever it is the goal remains the same to fight and win.”

Piranha plant, joker and the other 4 will get guidances and added to the everyone is here banner

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
So? Big deal. That's how you figure out some choices. They were out of feasible choices and wanted to fill a quota. This happens all the time.

You don't have to like it, but he still got in for reasons beyond advertising regardless.
It's one way to figure out certain roster choices, but it's not the only way and I also don't think that it's usually the best way.

And no, they weren't out of feasible choices. There are plenty of Nintendo characters without licensing issues (and maybe some third parties where licensing wouldn't be too much of an issue) who'd take no more time than Corrin (in some cases even less time than Corrin) to implement properly. You don't really have any evidence that says that there was no other choice besides an adverchar.

Lastly, any of the other reasons beyond advertising only helped him get chosen over other advertising choices. The fact that they chose Corrin over, say, Azura or another recent character isn't the problem. They used the advertising requirement to unnecessarily restrict the set of possible choices.

I haven't seen that new Grinch movie yet. Nobody wanted to see it with me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom