• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think the character support thread rules should be reevaluated at this point. I keep seeing locked threads for non-video game characters, and I know it's against the rules to have them rn, but I really don't see why at this point.

At the very least there should be a megathread for this sort of thing.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think the character support thread rules should be reevaluated at this point. I keep seeing locked threads for non-video game characters, and I know it's against the rules to have them rn, but I really don't see why at this point.

At the very least there should be a megathread for this sort of thing.
One of the very few rules that we know about character selection in Smash is that it's limited to video game characters, or Nintendo consoles/peripherals in the case of R.O.B. Sakurai's explicitly stated that characters like Goku and Spongebob are never going to happen, and they're part of the reason why we got Mii fighters.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
One of the very few rules that we know about character selection in Smash is that it's limited to video game characters, or Nintendo consoles/peripherals in the case of R.O.B. Sakurai's explicitly stated that characters like Goku and Spongebob are never going to happen, and they're part of the reason why we got Mii fighters.
Yes, but we aren't making Smash. It seems pretty clear some people enjoy talking about the characters being in Smash, even just for fun. I don't see the harm

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yes, but we aren't making Smash. It seems pretty clear some people enjoy talking about the characters being in Smash, even just for fun. I don't see the harm
It just seems like it would end poorly - we could very well get threads about such quality content as half a dozen random Dragon Ball characters (Nappa! Bulla! Chaotzu!), Donald Duck, and Nicolas Cage, and most of them wouldn't amount to anything because there's nothing to realistically discuss.

Opening the floor up to characters like Master Chief or Kat from Gravity Rush was controversial enough; there just doesn't seem to be an upside to opening up the Newcomer Speculation section to literally every character.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It just seems like it would end poorly - we could very well get threads about such quality content as half a dozen random Dragon Ball characters (Nappa! Bulla! Chaotzu!), Donald Duck, and Nicolas Cage, and most of them wouldn't amount to anything because there's nothing to realistically discuss.

Opening the floor up to characters like Master Chief or Kat from Gravity Rush was controversial enough; there just doesn't seem to be an upside to opening up the Newcomer Speculation section to literally every character.
Well I did suggest a megathread. Or maybe something a little extra like anime character thread, cartoon character thread, etc... I feel like it might benefit y'all as well, because you wouldn't have to lock all these excess threads from people that didn't read the rules.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just limit it to characters with significant gaming background.

If a non-gaming origin guest is going to get in Smash, they are going to represent a specific game. Not just whatever media they appear in.

This is where Goku has a problem. What exactly would he represent? There are so many Dragon Ball games, yes, but are any of them truly noteworthy and have historic value in the gaming industry?

At least characters like Popeye, James Bond, the Ninja Turtles and Scrooge McDuck can be used to represent something specific.

EDIT: Though Popeye is only specific to Nintendo's history, not gaming as a whole. Just figured I'd count him here anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Just limit it to characters with significant gaming background.

If a non-gaming origin guest is going to get in Smash, they are going to represent a specific game. Not just whatever media they appear in.

This is where Goku has a problem. What exactly would he represent? There are so many Dragon Ball games, yes, but are any of them truly noteworthy and have historic value in the gaming industry?

At least characters like Popeye, James Bond, the Ninja Turtles and Scrooge McDuck can be used to represent something specific.

EDIT: Though Popeye is only specific to Nintendo's history, not gaming as a whole. Just figured I'd count him here anyway.
That's a weird line to draw imo, and doesn't really solve the problem. People are gonna keep making threads for characters that they want, and somehow, Goku is still pretty decently requested despite what you said about DBZ games.

I would just let them talk about who they wanna talk about. The majority of the threads will just be ignored anyway, and if they aren't does it really affect anyone? Idk it's all just a suggestion.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course Goku is requested. He's a cultural icon. This isn't surprising at all.

Also, Megadoomer slightly misspoke. Any Nintendo-owned character is allowed a thread if they had any kind of game appearance whatsoever(official games, as MUGEN doesn't count for this. If we counted that, there's be no limitation).

I agree with Golden that it makes sense to only choose characters with an actual gaming impact if they didn't originate in a game, for 3rd parties. I'd still argue Goku having an extensive gaming history overall would count, though. As for whether representing a specific game or not is needed, I don't think that matters for a support thread. For Sakurai, perhaps, though.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Am I the only one that thinks Brave could potentially be Crono? There is a Brave sword in Chrono Trigger, he fits the height of Brave, and the general movement seems to fit. Plus he was in a 4 Chan Leak a while back that guessed Joker weeks before The Game Awards. Just me? Ok. Crono is also on that list of SE characters btw

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Goku fans should throw their support behind Android 21 since she’s a video game character.

Darth Revan & Android 21 for loophole Smash characters lmao

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Am I the only one that thinks Brave could potentially be Crono? There is a Brave sword in Chrono Trigger, he fits the height of Brave, and the general movement seems to fit. Plus he was in a 4 Chan Leak a while back that guessed Joker weeks before The Game Awards. Just me? Ok. Crono is also on that list of SE characters btw
Problem with Crono is IIRC he's from a dead series no?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Goku fans should throw their support behind Android 21 since she’s a video game character.

Neither have a real chance cause there aren't recognizable enough to actually sell well.

Loopholes don't work with licensing. Same people own 'em. So that kind of thing is pointless to try to go for, realistically.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If any 4th parties ever got in Smash, people would throw 3rd parties and Nintendo characters out the window and Nintendo characters would have like no chance at getting in at all. It wouldn't be a true video game anymore.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If any 4th parties ever got in Smash, people would throw 3rd parties and Nintendo characters out the window and Nintendo characters would have like no chance at getting in at all. It wouldn't be a true video game anymore.
It's still be a video game and we'd still get Nintendo newcomers as well.

You know they're still 3rd parties, right? 4th party is a made-up term for people who don't get that there is zero difference between a game 3rd party and a non-game 3rd party. Everything is 100% the same in every way. There's a reason Sakurai notes that characters who originated in a manga wouldn't be playable. He doesn't say "4th party"(a very inaccurate term, since it implies something that doesn't exist) or non-game 3rd parties. It's just a licensing issue for him, like any other 3rd party. For instance, live-action based characters like James Bond have far more than simply one company that owns him. You have the actor's likeness, the current voice, his original creator since he was from a book first, anything possibly Rare-related if he uses those design factors(and thus, Microsoft by proxy), possibly any movie rights to go through.

Then you compare it to someone like Agumon, who is pretty much Namco-Bandai and possibly any other music rights. Maybe Toei or whoever the anime holder is if he uses references from that. It depends how the IP is used. Game characters have less hurdles to go through, which is the actual advantage they have. No more, no less. And only some at best.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's still be a video game and we'd still get Nintendo newcomers as well.

You know they're still 3rd parties, right? 4th party is a made-up term for people who don't get that there is zero difference between a game 3rd party and a non-game 3rd party. Everything is 100% the same in every way. There's a reason Sakurai notes that characters who originated in a manga wouldn't be playable. He doesn't say "4th party"(a very inaccurate term, since it implies something that doesn't exist) or non-game 3rd parties. It's just a licensing issue for him, like any other 3rd party. For instance, live-action based characters like James Bond have far more than simply one company that owns him. You have the actor's likeness, the current voice, his original creator since he was from a book first, anything possibly Rare-related if he uses those design factors(and thus, Microsoft by proxy), possibly any movie rights to go through.

Then you compare it to someone like Agumon, who is pretty much Namco-Bandai and possibly any other music rights. Maybe Toei or whoever the anime holder is if he uses references from that. It depends how the IP is used. Game characters have less hurdles to go through, which is the actual advantage they have. No more, no less. And only some at best.
Want I'm saying though is support for 4th party characters would be higher than 3rd party and Nintendo characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Want I'm saying though is support for 4th party characters would be higher than 3rd party and Nintendo characters.
And it won't mean a thing. Support is pretty irrelevant if the companies aren't willing to hear it. Mii Fighters already exist to quell that factor, so... it won't matter.

Non-game 3rd party characters getting support won't get them in unless Sakurai changes his mind and is willing to pay all those licenses. Same with Nintendo. Same with the companies saying yes.

You're worried over nothing.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can see Jessie & James (except they're like Pokémon Trainer and you play as Meowth with their Pokémon as partners you can switch out) or other Pokémon characters *looks at Goku Lucario and Ash-Greninja* but I don't think any other characters that didn't originate in a videogame would ever happen.

except Popeye.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai doesn't want characters who didn't originate in a video game as playable. He doesn't really care much if they get referenced outside of that, but that's still hard to do because the licensing is the overall same. The only difference is that he has to do a lot more work on a playable character compared to anything else. While he could easily get any non-game reference generally, the licensing makes it harder to be worth it. Which is actually why a non-game character having more than a technical cameo or reference at best is the most likely thing to happen, if anything. Captain N references are a good example of this. He is no game character no matter how you stretch it. Still gets a pretty blatant reference overall. And that's fine. References just aren't the same as playable. Ash-Greninja definitely isn't a game character by any means, nor was he made for the games(unlike Lucario who just debuted outside of the games). He was made years ago for the Anime only. He's in Smash as a cameo of sorts because he's the most popular version of Greninja and rather well known. The whole "must be in a game first" thing isn't as important as people think. He was also easier to license the design of than many non-video game 3rd parties, which is what actually made him feasible as a choice.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
really I only think we could get Jessie & James with Meowth because Pokémon, Nintendo...they can do what they want as long as Game Freak and TPC don't mind - much easier to license - and Sakurai might not care.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
By definition it would still be a video game.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Ash!Greninja is probably not the best example. He may have originated outside a game, but he's basically an alternate form for a character that did originate from a game. Plus he was later made available in-game; without this idk if Sakurai would've made the reference in Smash. But either way, Ash!Greninja is still a part of Pokémon so idk if you can compare him to other non-game characters. It's kinda a special case

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ash!Greninja is probably not the best example. He may have originated outside a game, but he's basically an alternate form for a character that did originate from a game. Plus he was later made available in-game; without this idk if Sakurai would've made the reference in Smash. But either way, Ash!Greninja is still a part of Pokémon so idk if you can compare him to other non-game characters. It's kinda a special case
Ash!Greninja definitely would've been a FS either way. It's still an anime-specific character. Just like Ash is. It got so damn popular they decided to put it into the games as a unique ability instead of being another Mega Evolution.

Don't forget that Sakurai takes from the anime alone. Remember, he mentions Ash in Pokemon Trainer's trophy well before the ORAS Demo, which is the first time Ash canonically is mentioned. The other was a dolled-up version of Panel De Pon called Pokemon Puzzle League, which actually might be how Sakurai got Misty's Melee trophy, but it's kind of hard to say how he got it regardless. It's her anime design, but why he chose that is unknown. Lack of official models in the regular games? He liked that design(he does reference the anime and never has an issue with it).

Don't also forget, that again, he directly references Captain N with MegaMan and Simon's Guidances, which they and Pit do not ever appear together in any official game whatsoever. So a straight cartoon reference. There's probably others that we can't think of, but one major example is Mewtwo's usage of Shadow Ball is an anime-specific trait. Same with Pikachu using his tail in combat, which actually was from the Kanto saga. It is strange he doesn't reference Jigglypuff's infamous "use her marker" thing, though. But maybe it wasn't as fun of a Final Smash as Puff Up(never mind Puff Up came about after she was gone from the anime, so it wasn't a relevant joke to make).

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Ash!Greninja definitely would've been a FS either way. It's still an anime-specific character. Just like Ash is. It got so damn popular they decided to put it into the games as a unique ability instead of being another Mega Evolution.

Don't forget that Sakurai takes from the anime alone. Remember, he mentions Ash in Pokemon Trainer's trophy well before the ORAS Demo, which is the first time Ash canonically is mentioned. The other was a dolled-up version of Panel De Pon called Pokemon Puzzle League, which actually might be how Sakurai got Misty's Melee trophy, but it's kind of hard to say how he got it regardless. It's her anime design, but why he chose that is unknown. Lack of official models in the regular games? He liked that design(he does reference the anime and never has an issue with it).
I strongly think the reference of the trainers in the For trophy was a product of localization, unless the Japanese Theme Song was as iconic over there as it was here.

Pokemon Yellow was released in 1998 in Japan, so that predates puzzle league.

Honestly, Pokemon is a Multi-Media franchise, so the line between things can get blurry. If you want to get technical, you could call Lucario an Anime character, as he debuted in a Movie before his Generation had an appearance. I can be hard to pinpoint what belongs where, as cases of cross promotion are rampant. Remember how you had to buy Pokemon Ranger to get a Manaphy?

Don't also forget, that again, he directly references Captain N with MegaMan and Simon's Guidances...
Not true. Mega Man's conversation is mostly just them listing off Mega Man's arsenal, while Simon Belmont's doesn't seem to have any direct refferences. The closest I can find is this line:

Pit said:
Yeah, we hit the scene around the same time.
That's proabably more a reference of how in 1986 both the original Castivaina and Kid Icarus were released.

From what I understand, while Sakurai may use elements of how a character should act for inspiration, it's never the sole thing. For example, when Mega Man uses both of his buster arms for an attack, he hast to vent steam from his arms, which only comes from certain Manga. That said, the way he uses them is more based off of how the Robot Master who used the weapon acted. Pokemon are certainly flavored over how they act in the Anime, but they also tend to mix it with how they are in their Pokedex entries, as that was the main insperation for Pichu's self damage.

Sakruai preveously stated that Manga characters would never be in Smash. I believe it to be because they are a nightmare to license for, and something that he wants to avoid. As he also said, in a laughing matter, how strangely frequent Spongebob and Shrek were requested, I think that its safe to say that while "4th party" characters may not be much different from negotiating with another third party, Sakurai either does not view the game as worth the effort or does not view them currently as part of his vision of Smash Bros.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I strongly think the reference of the trainers in the For trophy was a product of localization, unless the Japanese Theme Song was as iconic over there as it was here.
No, not really. It's the same thing. They have the same message entirely, saying Satoshi instead of Ash respectively. It was based entirely upon the dub song.

Pokemon Yellow was released in 1998 in Japan, so that predates puzzle league.
Yellow still stars Red. But yeah, that's Jessie and James' first game appearances. They weren't created for the games, though, nor was Ash. That's the difference between them and Lucario.

Honestly, Pokemon is a Multi-Media franchise, so the line between things can get blurry. If you want to get technical, you could call Lucario an Anime character, as he debuted in a Movie before his Generation had an appearance. I can be hard to pinpoint what belongs where, as cases of cross promotion are rampant. Remember how you had to buy Pokemon Ranger to get a Manaphy?
In both those cases, those were Pokemon made for the games. This doesn't apply to Ash, Jessie, or James, who were made independently as anime-specific characters. Same as Ash-Greninja. That's their purpose. Their own popularity got them cameos/appearances in the actual games, but that doesn't change that they're anime characters. Nintendo partially owns them, which is why they're easy to get in, that's all. Licensing is the only issue with non-game characters to begin with that really ever comes up.

Not true. Mega Man's conversation is mostly just them listing off Mega Man's arsenal, while Simon Belmont's doesn't seem to have any direct refferences. The closest I can find is this line:

That's proabably more a reference of how in 1986 both the original Castivaina and Kid Icarus were released.
No, it's literally saying the characters met. They literally have not met outside of Captain N in any way. It's a blatant reference to them getting together. They don't know each other beyond the show. Captain N is literally a Nintendo IP and even created without the studios, by a Nintendo Power employee. They knew what they were doing with the reference. Remember, Palutena said "Oh, you know him?" He won't know him outside of them actually meeting each other. It's a double reference. Both the time periods they were in, and saying he actually knows Simon(which again, is impossible outside of the show). I keep forgetting MegaMan doesn't have that kind of one, so never mind on that.

From what I understand, while Sakurai may use elements of how a character should act for inspiration, it's never the sole thing. For example, when Mega Man uses both of his buster arms for an attack, he hast to vent steam from his arms, which only comes from certain Manga. That said, the way he uses them is more based off of how the Robot Master who used the weapon acted. Pokemon are certainly flavored over how they act in the Anime, but they also tend to mix it with how they are in their Pokedex entries, as that was the main insperation for Pichu's self damage.
Not just that, but Lucario in this case was pretty much entirely anime-based. He has no real references to his game materials till Mega Lucario was a thing. Of course, he first debuted in the anime before the games(but was made for the games), so there wasn't anything else to work off. They even spent a year on his Aura Mechanic. That's key to his character. There was no game appearance to base off of in this case. It depends their appearances, and he'll take whatever works and fits the character well, regardless of whether it's a game/manga/anime/whatever. None of that is relevant when it comes figuring out how to make them work.

[quote\Sakruai preveously stated that Manga characters would never be in Smash. I believe it to be because they are a nightmare to license for, and something that he wants to avoid. As he also said, in a laughing matter, how strangely frequent Spongebob and Shrek were requested, I think that its safe to say that while "4th party" characters may not be much different from negotiating with another third party, Sakurai either does not view the game as worth the effort or does not view them currently as part of his vision of Smash Bros.[/QUOTE]
No, he said they will not join the battle. That means playable. Let's not pretend he actually ever said there was an issue with them having cameos/references. That's not something he remotely said or implied. Of course, they still are very unlikely due to licensing, but it wasn't a rule he said despite people trying to make it sound like one.

No, any non-game 3rd party is pretty much the same licensing issue. If he considers non-game characters like Ash fine for referencing, it means he doesn't care as much as people think he does. It's again, just easier to license. That's all it had going for it. He knows who people want. He also knows that nobody wants Goku, a cultural icon, as just an AT or Mii Costume. It's fighter or bust(so much that people don't want him in, or just want him as playable). And he doesn't want non-game characters as fighters. That's the particular vision he has, not "no non-game characters can remotely appear/be referenced in Smash" despite that being blatantly untrue. It's the playable roster he wants as pure game characters(though that said, people seem to misunderstand how that works. The debut of a character is not as relevant as what they are intended for. Lucario and R.O.B. were made for games. That's why they're no issues despite being an anime character and a toy first. So the origin only may matter depending upon their straight intention. There's quite a few characters who were made only for the Pokemon anime. They're not game characters by any means. But let's also note something unique about Ash and Ash-Greninja. Ash does not appear in the Pokemon game canon. He is mentioned by trainer name in the ORAS demo. That's it. He got name-dropped in 4 well before the ORAS demo existed. Ash-Greninja actually had an in-game appearance in the ORAS canon by design, and then appeared in Smash. Despite this, I don't think any of this remotely mattered for why what happened happened. Ash is actually was more known than Red. Red is not even in Smash in any way. They use his design(from the FRLG remakes, which in a twist had even more anime elements, as the Sevii Islands are based upon the Orange Islands. Not only do they have non-Kanto Pokemon, but even Lorelai lives there, just like how she lives in the Orange Islands in the anime), but that's it. Leaf is actually mentioned, in a twist, however, but that's cause she also is in Pokemon Let's Go, so it's an obvious promotion thing. Pokemon Trainer is treated weirdly in that regard. Just being a generic trainer intentionally(since you can input your name, it makes sense). Even his first trophy only mentions the class. The even weirder thing is that his team is fairly close to Ash's as much as possible, though that's a coincidence. Charizard is obvious either way, but Squirtle was chosen cause it was, well, faster and more interesting to change up gameplay than Blastoise. Then Ivysaur came along for the last choice for a unique trio of evolutions. The twist is that Ash's team is almost identical, as Bulbasaur nearly evolved. It's a coincidence only because Squirtle wasn't chosen due to the anime at all(despite that being a great reason to choose it, as it's really well known thanks to it).

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

How have I never thought about Darth Revan for Smash before? And then we could get the Kotor games on the Switch. And then while I'm in my dream world they can put out kotor 3 as well, and a kotor movie.

It's all too perfect, #Revan4Smash

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How have I never thought about Darth Revan for Smash before? And then we could get the Kotor games on the Switch. And then while I'm in my dream world they can put out kotor 3 as well, and a kotor movie.

It's all too perfect, #Revan4Smash
Probably because Darth Revan is still a Star Wars character and isn't even game-only either. Maybe you also read Golden's point that a character being from a game first won't matter if their franchise wasn't a game first, as they will always go for the main character(s) first. In this case, Yoda, Darth Vader. They're the big guns. Same reason why Android 21 has no chance. Goku will always be the first Dragon Ball character in(not that he'll be playable realistically. And I doubt he'd been a spirit or even a Mii costume, despite there being zero real rules against him being in a cameo role).

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Probably because Darth Revan is still a Star Wars character and isn't even game-only either. Maybe you also read Golden's point that a character being from a game first won't matter if their franchise wasn't a game first, as they will always go for the main character(s) first. In this case, Yoda, Darth Vader. They're the big guns. Same reason why Android 21 has no chance. Goku will always be the first Dragon Ball character in(not that he'll be playable realistically. And I doubt he'd been a spirit or even a Mii costume, despite there being zero real rules against him being in a cameo role).
Sorry my post was meant 90% in jest, and the last 10% being pure Star Wars fanboyism.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
If it helps, we did consider allowing characters like Revan to have an actual topic.

...Though perhaps I'm thinking more of Starkiller. Wait, is he Revan?
Revan is the main character for the Knights of the Old Republic series while Starkiller comes from The Force Unleashed.

(also Revan is 1000% cooler than Starkiller ever could be)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Revan is the main character for the Knights of the Old Republic series while Starkiller comes from The Force Unleashed.

(also Revan is 1000% cooler than Starkiller ever could be)
Ah, thank you. I remember them both being made for the game canon in itself. Later on, they became part of the non-game canon. My guess is that Disney didn't like the idea of separate canons.

Regardless, I already explained the real issue with characters like Revan. It's why our stance is what it is, since it's still for a non-game series that isn't at least owned by Nintendo.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Funnily enough, because Shin Megami Tensei was originally based off of Digital Devil Story, it technically falls under the non-originally video game character thing, while it having the spin-off Persona entirely within games, technically makes characters from those originally video game characters, correct?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Funnily enough, because Shin Megami Tensei was originally based off of Digital Devil Story, it technically falls under the non-originally video game character thing, while it having the spin-off Persona entirely within games, technically makes characters from those originally video game characters, correct?
What a series is inspired by isn't the same thing as what the series is. Shin Megami Tensei is a game series. It's its own thing. It's like Command & Conquer. It was nothing more than a hack, but has its own unique properties that makes it what it is.

The only time it wouldn't be a game series is if it actually is a spin-off of a non-game series, but still in the same universe. The way you describe it is that it's more of a spiritual successor.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
What a series is inspired by isn't the same thing as what the series is. Shin Megami Tensei is a game series. It's its own thing. It's like Command & Conquer. It was nothing more than a hack, but has its own unique properties that makes it what it is.

The only time it wouldn't be a game series is if it actually is a spin-off of a non-game series, but still in the same universe. The way you describe it is that it's more of a spiritual successor.
So you wouldn't say it's the closet we've gotten to a multimedia character?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So you wouldn't say it's the closet we've gotten to a multimedia character?
I honestly don't know what you mean by "based off of", honestly. Is it more of a homage to the novels(they're novels? Movies? Visual novels? Comics? Manga? Anime? Cartoon? I don't really know). Cause keep in mind Link is inspired by Peter Pan to a degree, which is even more blatant in OOT where he is surrounded by children and gets a fairy companion.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So since this is a topic... What would be the chances of Captain N happening if they'd now include tv shows and comics?

Yes, Captain N originated in a comic book, but inside Nintendo Offices. Then the cartoon was outsourced (now including 3rd party characters) which is why Simon and Megaman are so different from their source material).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom