• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's crazy to me that people think doom slayer would be a fine fit for smash, but hey I'm not the marjority for smash. If people are ok with it and enjoy him then that's good enough.
The only thing making me ok with doomslayer is that if he's in there's good chances Erdrick with the alt characters is in as well. It'd mean that I dont have much to look forward to after erdrick tho.

I still don't think it's good to buy into leaks, so I think the rest of the characters are up in the air. But who knows.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that all 5 DLC characters are third party. Third party licensing costs money, and the costs of licensing 5 characters will be high. Nintendo has also shown that they can sneak in a promotional pick for an upcoming game, as they did with Corrin in Smash 4.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have and while they do fit into the main storyline they aren't part of the "numbered" games and two of them don't even involve the main character of the series. In any game that wasn't Kingdom Hearts that would be considered spin-off or side game.
Yeah, but this is Kingdom Hearts. Every series is different with how important spin-offs are, and in Kingdom Hearts’ case, non-numbered titles are just as important as the numbered. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be getting all the collections (most egregiously II.8, which was basically a port of 3D to consoles with added content to be even able to call a collection).

That’s just how it is with story driven franchises. With Metal Gear, you could call the portable, non-numbered Peace Walker a spin-off, but good luck understanding Big Boss’ character arc without it.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't think that all 5 DLC characters are third party. Third party licensing costs money, and the costs of licensing 5 characters will be high. Nintendo has also shown that they can sneak in a promotional pick for an upcoming game, as they did with Corrin in Smash 4.
Only ones I can think of are a Gen 8 Pokemon, Three Houses FE character (Either Byleth or Edelgard), Sylux, Poochy (This one's for you Zinith) and a Daemon x Machina character.

Out of the bunch I'd hope Sylux and Poochy. Especially since another Metroid rep would be icing on cake and Poochy would be representation of another Yoshi rep.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
It's crazy to me that people think doom slayer would be a fine fit for smash, but hey I'm not the marjority for smash. If people are ok with it and enjoy him then that's good enough.
The only thing making me ok with doomslayer is that if he's in there's good chances Erdrick with the alt characters is in as well. It'd mean that I dont have much to look forward to after erdrick tho.

I still don't think it's good to buy into leaks, so I think the rest of the characters are up in the air. But who knows.
Maybe I should clarify, good fit is probably going too far I think I could see how he would work and wouldn't be any worse than Snake or Ridley (for weapons and "ruthlessness" respectively) but I wouldn't be disappointed if he didn't make it.

Yeah, but this is Kingdom Hearts. Every series is different with how important spin-offs are, and in Kingdom Hearts’ case, non-numbered titles are just as important as the numbered. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be getting all the collections (most egregiously II.8, which was basically a port of 3D to consoles with added content to be even able to call a collection).

That’s just how it is with story driven franchises. With Metal Gear, you could call the portable, non-numbered Peace Walker a spin-off, but good luck understanding Big Boss’ character arc without it.
I agree on the importance of the games and I'll concede that they probably help more than I'm giving them credit for. But I remain of the conclusion that Sora doesn't have good odds because of his limited Nintendo history, with the fact that they haven't even bothered porting The Story So Far to Xbox which is getting KH3 I don't think we can see KH3 on the Switch anytime soon and that would be the main reason to get Sora in Smash.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Only ones I can think of are a Gen 8 Pokemon, Three Houses FE character (Either Byleth or Edelgard), Sylux, Poochy (This one's for you Zinith) and a Daemon x Machina character.

Out of the bunch I'd hope Sylux and Poochy. Especially since another Metroid rep would be icing on cake and Poochy would be representation of another Yoshi rep.
I really hope there's a Rhythm Heaven game for Switch in the works then lol, seeing as there's strangely little music, a lot of spirits and no greater representation in Ultimate thus far.

Does anyone know where Sakurai said "we didn't miss any characters from the project plan" or whatever? It's being mentioned around.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Only ones I can think of are a Gen 8 Pokemon, Three Houses FE character (Either Byleth or Edelgard)...
Let's hope that Nintendo knows that a character from Fire Emblem or Pokémon won't be received well.
I'm lukewarm on Sylux since I've only played Metroid: Samus Returns. It would make a ton of sense if Metroid Prime 4 came out soon though.
Poochy (This one's for you Zinith)...
I envisioned a cute dog beating up characters like Bowser and Ridley with the help of its puppies...I love this idea. They could also go with Kamek since he is an important character in the Mario spin offs (including Yoshi). My only problem with it is that they'd also add a bunch of Yoshi music and Yoshi is my second least favorite series musically. I also don't think either have the star power to be "must haves" like Joker. I'll be rooting for them next Smash though.
and a Daemon x Machina character.
Wait that's a first party title?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Despite Nintendo publishing Daemon X Machina, they don’t own any part of the IP. It’s no more second party than Bayonetta or Octopath Traveler.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Let's hope that Nintendo knows that a character from Fire Emblem or Pokémon won't be received well.
Only among a minority. Even with Corrin causing a ****storm, there were plenty of people that appreciated Corrin's gameplay and the female's appearance. Besides, adding 3 Metroid newcomers in one game can be just as controversial.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Knowing Nintendo though they probably will anyways.

As if we don't have enough Pokemon and FE characters because god forbid can't let other franchises have more reps that they're low on such as Donkey Kong and Kirby.

Super Mario Bros. I can understand though being its Nintendo's most recognizable and iconic franchise as well as the face of it.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As if we don't have enough Pokemon and FE characters because god forbid can't let other franchises have more reps that they're low on such as Donkey Kong and Kirby.

Super Mario Bros. I can understand though being its Nintendo's most recognizable and iconic franchise as well as the face of it.
Are you acting like Pokemon is some sort of literally who compared to Mario? Besides, some series just have more important characters than others. And Metroid and Yoshi have all the ones they need.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Besides, adding 3 Metroid newcomers in one game can be just as controversial.
Which would be hypocritical considering the overrepresentation Fire Emblem has.

Fire Emblem has 7 while Metroid has only 3. If both were to get new ones it'd be then 8 and 4 with Fire Emblem still having more reps.

Like you don't think Fire Emblem has enough representation already? Pokemon I understand considering its Nintendo's biggest selling franchise and even more popular then Super Mario Bros.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Which would be hypocritical considering the overrepresentation Fire Emblem has.

Fire Emblem has 7 while Metroid has only 3. If both were to get new ones it'd be then 8 and 4 with Fire Emblem still having more reps.

Like you don't think Fire Emblem has enough representation already? Pokemon I understand considering its Nintendo's biggest selling franchise and even more popular then Super Mario Bros.
Lyn and Hector are more important than Sylux and Poochy.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, if you're gonna ride all these overrepresentation bandwagons, you should really not want Medusa. Remember all the complaining about all the KIU content in Smash 4?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also, if you're gonna ride all these overrepresentation bandwagons, you should really not want Medusa. Remember all the complaining about all the KIU content in Smash 4?
Except that'd just be 4 characters compared to supposedly 8.

I feel there should be a limit to how many characters gets in and that's like 10. At the rate with Pokemon if it goes pass that may as well start calling the series Super Pokemon Bros. guest starring other characters from different franchises.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Except that'd just be 4 characters compared to supposedly 8.
It doesn't matter. People still complained. And I'm taking into consideration all the KIU items too.

Also, they shouldn't force balance onto the roster anyway. Like I said, the likes of Eevee and Lyn are more important that Sylux and Poochy and Medusa and Black Shadow and Ninten.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You absolutely sure you ain't confusing it for FE? I recalled that's what people were complaining about especially once Corrin was announced as DLC.
People were complaining about KIU getting two newcomers, so many items, and the replacement for codecs. If you're gonna ride the roster balance bandwagon, no more Medusa.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Are you acting like Pokemon is some sort of literally who compared to Mario? Besides, some series just have more important characters than others. And Metroid and Yoshi have all the ones they need.
Some series do have more important characters, but that’s clearly not how Mario or Pokémon are represented. We haven’t gotten an important Pokémon since Brawl, and Mario can’t claim importance when Piranha Plant got in over Toad and Waluigi.

Medusa would probably be the one KI character not from Uprising. Also would probably be an Echo, and KIU content got toned way down (especially with Smash Run staying behind).

SPEN18

Smash Champion
With Fire Emblem, I am mostly fine with the amount of representation that it has; however, I don't consider Fire Emblem's roster to be complete without Lyn. Lyn should be there. I also find Chrom to be pretty unnecessary. You could also cut Corrin without too much trouble if you wanted, I guess. But otherwise it's not too bad. They should've been more clear on Lucina being a lower-effort character when they revealed her in 4 (potentially leaving her out of the CG trailer), and they could've postponed both Roy and/or Corrin to Ultimate instead of making them DLC in 4. I think there would've been less complaint if it was done like this.

--

Pokémon has some extraneous stuff. Representing Pokémon well is really hard because it has a lot of iconic mons. A boatload of mons are iconic, but that doesn't necessarily mean that every one should be in the game because that would really be overboard. So just pick a few of the most iconic ones and make sure you get a decent distribution of historical eras and typings.

Pikachu/Charizard/Mewtwo/Lucario/Greninja/Hoenn rep seems pretty good to me. You could drop Greninja or the Hoenn rep if you wanted, and/or you could add Jigglypuff back if you want the OG 12 preserved. You get an actually pretty great type distribution here along with something from the GBA, DS, and 3DS eras. I'm okay with Gen 1 getting a bit more because it's through the roof in iconicness, but I wouldn't want it to go too far overboard.

But whether or not you agree with the particular characters I listed there, the bigger point was that you can achieve a really solid and sufficiently diverse representation for Pokémon as a series (in terms of unique typings/movesets and representing series history) with around 6 or so characters.

--

As an aside, without "Everyone is Here" we probably would've gotten something like Pikachu/Charizard/Mewtwo/Jigglypuff/Lucario/Greninja/Incineroar. This is actually pretty close to what I listed, just with Jigglypuff's grandfather clause and the loss of a GBA rep in exchange for the hideous fire cat.

--

On Kid Icarus, I agree that a third rep is hard to justify. It's not really any bigger than other first party series that are unrepresented, like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Rhythm Heaven.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Starters are always important Pokemon. Only Jigglypuff isn't really important, and Pichu is the mascot for baby Pokemon and Gen II as a whole. Meaning 9 out of 10 of the Pokemon added are actually important. Every game has gotten one or more.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Pikachu/Charizard/Mewtwo/Lucario/Greninja/Hoenn rep seems pretty good to me. You could drop Greninja or the Hoenn rep if you wanted, and/or you could add Jigglypuff back if you want the OG 12 preserved. You get an actually pretty great type distribution here along with something from the GBA, DS, and 3DS eras. I'm okay with Gen 1 getting a bit more because it's through the roof in iconicness, but I wouldn't want it to go too far overboard.
The Pokémon Trainer's role in representing the Pokémon franchise is severely understated and I don't know why. Excluding him is like excluding Link (and by that I mean all of the Links) and saying the franchise still has perfect representation.

In my opinion the characters essential to representing the Pokémon series are :ultpikachu:, :ultmewtwo:, and :ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:). After that :ultjigglypuff: and to a lesser extent :ultlucario: are important to smash. :ultincineroar: is important from a gameplay perspective as he is Smash's only true grappler, but that may not save him from roster cuts later down the road. :ultgreninja: and :ultpichu: are the only superfluous ones (discarding fan value).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
With Fire Emblem, I am mostly fine with the amount of representation that it has; however, I don't consider Fire Emblem's roster to be complete without Lyn. Lyn should be there. I also find Chrom to be pretty unnecessary. You could also cut Corrin without too much trouble if you wanted, I guess. But otherwise it's not too bad. They should've been more clear on Lucina being a lower-effort character when they revealed her in 4 (potentially leaving her out of the CG trailer), and they could've postponed both Roy and/or Corrin to Ultimate instead of making them DLC in 4. I think there would've been less complaint if it was done like this.

--

Pokémon has some extraneous stuff. Representing Pokémon well is really hard because it has a lot of iconic mons. A boatload of mons are iconic, but that doesn't necessarily mean that every one should be in the game because that would really be overboard. So just pick a few of the most iconic ones and make sure you get a decent distribution of historical eras and typings.

But whether or not you agree with the particular characters I listed there, the bigger point was that you can achieve a really solid and sufficiently diverse representation for Pokémon as a series (in terms of unique typings/movesets and representing series history) with around 6 or so characters.

--

As an aside, without "Everyone is Here" we probably would've gotten something like Pikachu/Charizard/Mewtwo/Jigglypuff/Lucario/Greninja/Incineroar. This is actually pretty close to what I listed, just with Jigglypuff's grandfather clause and the loss of a GBA rep in exchange for the hideous fire cat.

--

On Kid Icarus, I agree that a third rep is hard to justify. It's not really any bigger than other first party series that are unrepresented, like Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Rhythm Heaven.
I think Chrom’s omission was a snub on the level of Lyn, and I’m glad it was corrected. If only one of the Awakening trio has to stay, it should be Chrom.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
The Pokémon Trainer's role in representing the Pokémon franchise is severely understated and I don't know why. Excluding him is like excluding Link (and by that I mean all of the Links) and saying the franchise still has perfect representation.
While I agree that the Pokémon Trainer is important from the standpoint of representing the mechanics of Pokémon (switching between mons to take advantage of certain matchups), I don't think he's worth the dev time it takes to make three separate mons. Charizard is more than enough to stand by himself. We also have other NFE mons like Pikachu and Jiggs to represent the different stages.

I guess one comparison to make with PT is Isaac. Switching between classes is an important mechanic in Golden Sun, but I don't think that Isaac needs complex class-swap mechanics to accurately represent Golden Sun (although he could have them). How much more work are you willing to put into a nice little gimmick that represents an important mechanic? Maybe I'd be willing to go through some more complicated programming and balance stuff for something like Inkling's ink mechanic, but idk if I'd wanna make two more uniques when those resources could be used elsewhere.

Incineroar is not very important to anything other than Gen 7 promotion. He wouldn't be in over other Pokémon if it wasn't for recency.

I think Chrom’s omission was a snub on the level of Lyn, and I’m glad it was corrected. If only one of the Awakening trio has to stay, it should be Chrom.
When I say that I find Chrom to be unnecessary, I mean that he feels unnecessary given that we already have Robin and Lucina. If you think Chrom is the most important character in Awakening, then you can justify keeping him over Lucina. Robin is pretty unique and represents a number of aspects of Fire Emblem that aren't easy to implement into a lot of other FE characters; he's also just about as important to Awakening as Chrom. So I'd keep Robin, but between Lucina and Chrom is a toss-up; you can justify keeping either though I usually lean towards Lucina personally. Both is where we go a bit overboard, imo.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
While I agree that the Pokémon Trainer is important from the standpoint of representing the mechanics of Pokémon (switching between mons to take advantage of certain matchups), I don't think he's worth the dev time it takes to make three separate mons. Charizard is more than enough to stand by himself. We also have other NFE mons like Pikachu and Jiggs to represent the different stages.

I guess one comparison to make with PT is Isaac. Switching between classes is an important mechanic in Golden Sun, but I don't think that Isaac needs complex class-swap mechanics to accurately represent Golden Sun (although he could have them). How much more work are you willing to put into a nice little gimmick that represents an important mechanic? Maybe I'd be willing to go through some more complicated programming and balance stuff for something like Inkling's ink mechanic, but idk if I'd wanna make two more uniques when those resources could be used elsewhere.

Incineroar is not very important to anything other than Gen 7 promotion. He wouldn't be in over other Pokémon if it wasn't for recency.

When I say that I find Chrom to be unnecessary, I mean that he feels unnecessary given that we already have Robin and Lucina. If you think Chrom is the most important character in Awakening, then you can justify keeping him over Lucina. Robin is pretty unique and represents a number of aspects of Fire Emblem that aren't easy to implement into a lot of other FE characters; he's also just about as important to Awakening as Chrom. So I'd keep Robin, but between Lucina and Chrom is a toss-up; you can justify keeping either though I usually lean towards Lucina personally. Both is where we go a bit overboard, imo.
All I’m saying is, if Chrom got into 4, I very much doubt Lucina or Robin would have gotten enough ballot support to get them into Ultimate. That’s where my priorities lie.

I agree that all three is too much.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
All I’m saying is, if Chrom got into 4, I very much doubt Lucina or Robin would have gotten enough ballot support to get them into Ultimate. That’s where my priorities lie.

I agree that all three is too much.
Yeah if Sakurai could have put in a bit more effort into Chrom and come up with something innovative and unique for him, we'd probably be better off in terms of the Awakening representation. One unique and one Echo is probably sufficient for Awakening. Which of the three you choose is kinda a toss-up, and it's probably why Robin beat out Chrom, as the uniqueness was worth more to Sakurai than Chrom's slightly higher importance. Or let Chrom use his Axe with the same moveset he has now and the fans probably wouldn't complain as long as he has no sword

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah if Sakurai could have put in a bit more effort into Chrom and come up with something innovative and unique for him, we'd probably be better off in terms of the Awakening representation. One unique and one Echo is probably sufficient for Awakening. Which of the three you choose is kinda a toss-up, and it's probably why Robin beat out Chrom, as the uniqueness was worth more to Sakurai than Chrom's slightly higher importance. Or let Chrom use his Axe with the same moveset he has now and the fans probably wouldn't complain as long as he has no sword
For all of a Fire Emblem fan Sakurai claims to be, I think he could afford to actually put some effort and try to make a unique FE swordfighter. Characters have unique skills and animations, Sak, use ‘em!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For all of a Fire Emblem fan Sakurai claims to be, I think he could afford to actually put some effort and try to make a unique FE swordfighter. Characters have unique skills and animations, Sak, use ‘em!
And that's how we got Robin and Corrin. Reality is, Chrom didn't have as much unique potential over Robin. Chrom still got it good even as an Echo, with a more unique Up B, and effectively being a cross between Ike and Marth. And he actually is good in Smash.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
critical.gif

mad lyn.png
I've been waiting for 16 years

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Starters are always important Pokemon. Only Jigglypuff isn't really important, and Pichu is the mascot for baby Pokemon and Gen II as a whole. Meaning 9 out of 10 of the Pokemon added are actually important. Every game has gotten one or more.
Starters may be important, but not necessarily the most important in their particular Gen.

I also don't think being a "Baby Pokémon" or Gen 2 mascot is worth too much. Not every Gen needs a rep and the concept of baby mons isn't one of the more important ones in Pokémon.

Squirtle and Ivysaur are important and iconic (at least to some degree), but they are undoubtedly overshadowed by Zard, who along with Pikachu and Mewtwo gives a pretty good set of Gen 1 reps.

Incineroar and Greninja were pretty much just important for promotional purposes. Greninja actually has become fairly important since his inclusion, but Incineroar isn't really on the level of a lot of older starters (like Blaziken, for ex., and I don't even like Blaziken but I think just as many people recognize it as Incineroar, if not more).

And that's how we got Robin and Corrin. Reality is, Chrom didn't have as much unique potential over Robin. Chrom still got it good even as an Echo, with a more unique Up B, and effectively being a cross between Ike and Marth. And he actually is good in Smash.
Eh, Chrom probably could've been unique if Sakurai tried hard enough. Robin is even more unique, though, and in retrospect is a pretty good choice for Awakening. I also don't think "unique swordfighter" is why Corrin made it. He made it cuz he prints paper.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Starters may be important, but not necessarily the most important in their particular Gen.

I also don't think being a "Baby Pokémon" or Gen 2 mascot is worth too much. Not every Gen needs a rep and the concept of baby mons isn't one of the more important ones in Pokémon.

Squirtle and Ivysaur are important and iconic (at least to some degree), but they are undoubtedly overshadowed by Zard, who along with Pikachu and Mewtwo gives a pretty good set of Gen 1 reps.

Incineroar and Greninja were pretty much just important for promotional purposes. Greninja actually has become fairly important since his inclusion, but Incineroar isn't really on the level of a lot of older starters (like Blaziken, for ex., and I don't even like Blaziken but I think just as many people recognize it as Incineroar, if not more).
Starters are always important because they're your main characters in the game. It has nothing to do with promotional purposes. Being a double mascot is absolutely important. Lucario is Gen 4's mascot as well. Both of these makes these characters quite iconic as is. Pichu absolutely has important worth. It still ends with Jigglypuff being the only one with no real importance to the series in any way. It also doesn't matter if some starters are overshadowed by others. That's normal, really. Some are just going to be more popular. There's over 20 different ones. What'd you expect? They all play an important role regardless.

Eh, Chrom probably could've been unique if Sakurai tried hard enough. Robin is even more unique, though, and in retrospect is a pretty good choice for Awakening. I also don't think "unique swordfighter" is why Corrin made it. He made it cuz he prints paper.
No, unique swordsman is a huge reason for Corrin being in. Sakurai almost didn't put him till his team convinced him to do so because he could be unique. Chrom took way more time to think of something new than a more obvious choice. Doesn't change that he chose two very unique newcomers. At least Chrom got his due.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Starters are always important because they're your main characters in the game. It has nothing to do with promotional purposes. Being a double mascot is absolutely important. Lucario is Gen 4's mascot as well. Both of these makes these characters quite iconic as is. Pichu absolutely has important worth. It still ends with Jigglypuff being the only one with no real importance to the series in any way. It also doesn't matter if some starters are overshadowed by others. That's normal, really. Some are just going to be more popular. There's over 20 different ones. What'd you expect? They all play an important role regardless.

No, unique swordsman is a huge reason for Corrin being in. Sakurai almost didn't put him till his team convinced him to do so because he could be unique. Chrom took way more time to think of something new than a more obvious choice. Doesn't change that he chose two very unique newcomers. At least Chrom got his due.
Starters are important, but not necessarily the most important. They also don't have to be used at all but are somewhat intended to be used a lot. You could bench your starter if you wanted (as I have done before), but you can't bench Marth, for ex.
Also, it's the particular type of mascot that Pichu is that makes it less important. Gen 2 is only so important, especially given it's high association with Gen 1.
Why wouldn't it matter if Blaziken is more recognizeable and important than Incineroar? Only thing Incineroar has over Blaziken is recency; both can be equally unique. Why wouldn't it matter if Charizard is more important than Squirtle? You can't fit them all so you gotta cut it down to a select few.

On Corrin, being unique helped but it isn't the reason he made it. And besides, if Corrin was just an ordinary swordsman and Sakurai wouldn't budge, they could just pick another Fates character for promotional purposes. So uniqueness may have helped Corrin get in over other Fates characters, but it doesn't change the fact that he filled a specifically allocated promotional quota.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Starters are important, but not necessarily the most important. They also don't have to be used at all but are somewhat intended to be used a lot. You could bench your starter if you wanted (as I have done before), but you can't bench Marth, for ex.
Also, it's the particular type of mascot that Pichu is that makes it less important. Gen 2 is only so important, especially given it's high association with Gen 1.
Why wouldn't it matter if Blaziken is more recognizeable and important than Incineroar? Only thing Incineroar has over Blaziken is recency; both can be equally unique. Why wouldn't it matter if Charizard is more important than Squirtle? You can't fit them all so you gotta cut it down to a select few.

On Corrin, being unique helped but it isn't the reason he made it. And besides, if Corrin was just an ordinary swordsman and Sakurai wouldn't budge, they could just pick another Fates character for promotional purposes. So uniqueness may have helped Corrin get in over other Fates characters, but it doesn't change the fact that he filled a specifically allocated promotional quota.
It has nothing to do with the most important. They're still important characters. That's the point. Pichu is still important regardless. And not really for Blaziken. Recency isn't why it got chosen. It got chosen because of the Wrestling archtype specifically. Not simply because it was recent alone. That gave it a slight advantage, but its moveset was what mattered first. And of course if you're cutting Pokemon you choose the most important. But that's not the context here either; I was talking about which Pokemon actually have importance. And that's everyone but Jigglypuff. The context was "nobody important was added since Brawl", which is untrue, as every Starter holds importance. It seems like you missed the point of why I said that.

Sakurai literally almost said no to Corrin cause Fire Emblem already had a lot of characters. If Corrin was boring, then he wouldn't necessarily have anyone to choose. Promotional purposes got the character in sight, but uniqueness is the key factor in actually choosing to include the character or not.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Any character can be unique. If Sakurai wanted to have Chrom over Robin and he wanted Chrom to be unique, he would have made it happen.

Sad thing is, Sakurai has been getting lazier over the years. It has been proven time after time that every character can be made to be unique.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Robin is the first Fire Emblem Mage in Smash. Marth, Ike und Robin have to stay in Smash. They are basic. But I would like to kick out Chrom. The Black Knight instead should have been added. He is one of the best antagonists from Fire Emblem and would be the second one in Smash, when you counting Robin as well.

Until Smash 4 I was saying, the 12 fighters of 64 should be in always. Now with Ultimate this untold rule could be out dated and Smash is now new organized. Everyone could be removed to get space for newer or more important fighters.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Robin is the first Fire Emblem Mage in Smash. Marth, Ike und Robin have to stay in Smash. They are basic. But I would like to kick out Chrom. The Black Knight instead should have been added. He is one of the best antagonists from Fire Emblem and would be the second one in Smash, when you counting Robin as well.

Until Smash 4 I was saying, the 12 fighters of 64 should be in always. Now with Ultimate this untold rule could be out dated and Smash is now new organized. Everyone could be removed to get space for newer or more important fighters.
Would you really Count Robin as a villain?
If you really want a varried FE set, have Marth, Ike, Robin and Corrin as protags and then Black Knight and Medeus as villains. That wat every character would actually be unique

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Chrom could've definitely been unique. I'll say it 'til I die, ANYONE can be unique. Even some lameass like Doctor Mario can be more unique. It's just easier to make them clones, that's really all there is to it.

Any character can be unique. If Sakurai wanted to have Chrom over Robin and he wanted Chrom to be unique, he would have made it happen.

Sad thing is, Sakurai has been getting lazier over the years. It has been proven time after time that every character can be made to be unique.
Tbf it's easy money.

From what I've seen, people just want their fav characters in the game. Name brand first, true to that name second. Sakurai wouldn't do it as often if it wasn't so easy to please people. Just look how people responded to echos.

I feel bad for the FE fans that really care about their characters, because I know from (mostly) secondhand accounts how badly Smash reps them.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
But Robin is enough to represent one game. And is a (unique) mage class. Chrom is swordwilder no 7. His moveset in Awakening is not very different to Marth or Ike.

Would you really Count Robin as a villain?
If you really want a varried FE set, have Marth, Ike, Robin and Corrin as protags and then Black Knight and Medeus as villains. That wat every character would actually be unique
I would think it is a "point of view" case. Robin is the antagonist from Awakening as well as the hero/second main character. I am wondering that Grima is no Spirit in Smash Bros. And related to what is a Spoiler. The whole Spirit mechanic is a big Spoiler. :D I am mention only Zelgius and Black Knight. ^^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom