• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
After those sales numbers, there’s no way we don’t get a second Fighter Pass now.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it has even “bigger” characters than the first one will; everyone’s going to want a piece of this game now.
Yeah. I believe that we are most likely getting more DLC after this Fighter Pass.
The question isn't if we'll be getting a new pack. What we should be asking is If we get a new fighter pass, will it include characters already in-game in some way, shape, or form?"

I think so, the surges of popularity from certain characters' fanbases (one look at Waluigi or Isaac will tell you everything you need to know) are intensely vocal, which Nintendo is always taking in positively.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Considering Spirits are just one image, and every Fighter Spirit is different from others, there's no reason to believe they alone would suddenly disconfirm someone.

AT's may. But things like "in someone's Final Smash/Victory Screens" have proven to be meaningless. Chrom pretty much removes any possibility it would've mattered. If it did, he wouldn't be among the Final Smash and Victory Screen still. That was intentional to not worry about it. To drive it further home, Mario is in PP's Victory Screen.

That really leaves Bosses, AT's, stage hazards/elements and active in someone's moveset(ala Toad). You can have bosses play and look differently at times(Ganon, for instance), AT's can be turned off while the playable character is in the current match, stage elements can be removed, but you can't just remove moveset stuff like that. You also can't remove certain kinds of stage elements/hazards. For instance, Pauline is too important to the stage's design. On the other hand, you could easily remove Captain Toad from it. It's not black and white for how stages can work, really. Toad is directly disconfirmed, though. You'd have to give both Peach and Daisy something completely different in order for Toad to be playable. This is very difficult to remove in comparison to most of the rest. For the Pauline point, she's like DK in the 75m stage. It's a key part of the stage. Whereas you could simply not have Ridley or The Ultimate Chimera show up without making the stage beyond different. It's not as simple as turning off hazards, but whether you could easily remove the stage elements without making the stage impossible to use. If you need to force a stage as Alpha or Omega to have a character playable to not confuse players, then they're clearly a key element. Another good example of something not hard to remove is Tingle from Great Bay. The reason is you don't need that hazard that much, but you could also replace it easily without another MM character(even Deku Link) and nothing would change. It's barely a hazard.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I think it was recently confirmed that Bowser Jr served as a starting point for Piranna Plant, so there really could be something to this Duck Hunt/Mii Swordfighter argument. Looking good for Banjo right now.

D

Deleted member

I think it was recently confirmed that Bowser Jr served as a starting point for Piranna Plant, so there really could be something to this Duck Hunt/Mii Swordfighter argument. Looking good for Banjo right now.
If DH/MS are messing up the All-Star Smash mode, shouldn't Bowser Jr cause issues as well?

I think that adding a character in what is essentially a mode that adds fighters from the roster to fight consecutively is what is causing the issue. Unless there is some new development, I think the whole DH, Mii Swordsman affecting the game is rather coincidential.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
No, what happened was that a 4chan leaker thought Piranha Plant was in a vehicle like Bowser Jr.'s.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not really. Banjo and the Dog have entirely body types, as I mentioned earlier. Banjo is completely bipedal.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Not really. Banjo and the Dog have entirely body types, as I mentioned earlier. Banjo is completely bipedal.
They don't have to restrict his model to certain animations, though. Just use Duck Hunt as a test thing, standing the model up in their own dev build. Piranha Plant and Bowser Jr. have different body types, too.

The reason why they'd use Duck Hunt as a base is because it's another Bird + Mammal partner fighter.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
They don't have to restrict his model to certain animations, though. Just use Duck Hunt as a test thing, standing the model up in their own dev build. Piranha Plant and Bowser Jr. have different body types, too.

The reason why they'd use Duck Hunt as a base is because it's another Bird + Mammal partner fighter.
Also, BK is owned by a console competitor, and I believe that Microsoft would rather want to have Steve from Minecraft as a playable character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Also, BK is owned by a console competitor, and I believe that Microsoft would rather want to have Steve from Minecraft as a playable character.
They might personally, but it's whatever Nintendo and Sakurai wants, not Microsoft. If Microsoft is willing to let them use Banjo-Kazooie (and Phil Spencer's comment seems to suggest they would...even if it may just be PR), then they'll use Banjo-Kazooie.

though I'd love Steve as well so it's whatever I guess.

osby

Smash Obsessed
We have Cloud and Joker in Smash.

I don't think console wars means THAT much at this point.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
They might personally, but it's whatever Nintendo and Sakurai wants, not Microsoft. If Microsoft is willing to let them use Banjo-Kazooie (and Phil Spencer's comment seems to suggest they would...even if it may just be PR), then they'll use Banjo-Kazooie.

though I'd love Steve as well so it's whatever I guess.
There are also some similarities between Bowser Jr. and PP (with PP's pot taking the place of the Clown Car). With Banjo and the Dog, it's different, because the Dog is primarily quadrupedal and Banjo is exclusively bipedal.
We have Cloud and Joker in Smash.

I don't think console wars means THAT much at this point.
This is different. Cloud and Joker aren't owned by a competitor, while BK is.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
There are also some similarities between Bowser Jr. and PP (with PP's pot taking the place of the Clown Car). With Banjo and the Dog, it's different, because the Dog is primarily quadrupedal and Banjo is exclusively bipedal.
Piranha Plant is still nearly-completely different from Bowser Jr.; they just found some Bowser Jr. animations in Piranha Plant's folder, yet there's nothing much to compare other than the pot which is still smaller than the Clown Car.

They can adjust Duck Hunt to fit Banjo-Kazooie, the Dog can stand up-right, they don't need a character that's always standing to test some things. Just like Jr. and Plant, they'd have to add/remove stuff and adjust it, but it's always good to start with something that's similar in some way at first.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While they could very well use the dog standing, the skeletons for Banjo and a dog seem rather different considering that Banjo has a human-like skeleton which would need a few changes to work and I think a Mii Brawler or Mario skeleton would fit better to make the bear's model. Plus Kazooie is regularly on the backpack.

I would say that Amateratsu from Okami would be a more fitting considering the dog skeleton and her weapon in her back. But even then you would need to stretch the model a little bit.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, but the Dog can stand on his hinds. It's not the worst base.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, but the Dog can stand on his hinds. It's not the worst base.
Banjo is also more humanoid than the Dog is. The skeleton would have to be completely revamped. As @ryumo explained, Amaterasu from Okami would be easier to create using the Dog's skeleton. Lycanroc from Pokemon is another possibility.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
While they could very well use the dog standing, the skeletons for Banjo and a dog seem rather different considering that Banjo has a human-like skeleton which would need a few changes to work and I think a Mii Brawler or Mario skeleton would fit better to make the bear's model. Plus Kazooie is regularly on the backpack.

I would say that Amateratsu from Okami would be a more fitting considering the dog skeleton and her weapon in her back. But even then you would need to stretch the model a little bit.
Then maybe it's a combo of Duck Hunt for Kazooie and the Swordfighter for Banjo in terms of a skeleton, I dunno.

Tbh the basic skeleton of the dog when it's standing up probably isn't much different from a human like Mario.

maybe it could be Ammy, but since her creator mentioned her and some others when asking people who'd they like to see in Smash around the time Sakurai said they were done...

Piranha Plant's skeleton is much different from Bowser Jr. actually, I don't see why this is a big deal.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

I still think if this does have anything to do with DLC characters, it will be because Duck Hunt has two models (Dog and bird) and Banjo and Kazooie would have two models (Bear and bird). Of course the dog isn't a perfect fit but if you're looking for a base to start with that has two models then you're stuck with Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Rosalina and Luma, Olimar and Pikmen, and Bowser Jr (Bowser Jr and car?) and Duck Hunt sure seems very close compared to the rest of that list.

This is different. Cloud and Joker aren't owned by a competitor, while BK is.
This makes no sense to me, Cloud is owned by Square Enix and Joker is owned by Sega. Both of those companies make games that compete against Nintendo's games.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I still think if this does have anything to do with DLC characters, it will be because Duck Hunt has two models (Dog and bird) and Banjo and Kazooie would have two models (Bear and bird). Of course the dog isn't a perfect fit but if you're looking for a base to start with that has two models then you're stuck with Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Rosalina and Luma, Olimar and Pikmen, and Bowser Jr (Bowser Jr and car?) and Duck Hunt sure seems very close compared to the rest of that list.
Kazooie spends most of her time in Banjo's backpack.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Yeah and the Duck Hunt bird spends most of her time on the Dog's back...

You're trying to make them a perfect match and they aren't going to be, but they're at least as close as PP and Bowser Jr if not closer.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
They'd still need the Duck as a base.

It's not like Kazooie wouldn't show up at all in idle animations, moves...maybe her model would even be shrunk inside the backpack if it doesn't disappear all-together.

Yeah and the Duck Hunt bird spends most of her time on the Dog's back...

You're trying to make them a perfect match and they aren't going to be, but they're at least as close as PP and Bowser Jr if not closer.
Yeah I don't understand why y'all act like it has to be a perfect fit, Bowser Jr. is in no way a perfect fit for Piranha Plant and yet they still used Bowser Jr. stuff as a base.

Duck Hunt just makes sense because of the bird, the Dog's skeleton can be modified as needed, and it standing up probably isn't too far from being humanoid; it's not like they wouldn't start from scratch if they had to, this just makes it easier. It's not like they're choosing characters based on "welp who will be the easiest to make, we're lazy."

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah I don't understand why y'all act like it has to be a perfect fit, Bowser Jr. is in no way a perfect fit for Piranha Plant and yet they still used Bowser Jr. stuff as a base.
Corrin was also the base for Ike, in spite of the preferred designs of the two being female Corrin and MAN Ike. Besides, Duck Hunt and Amaterasu have different proportions as well, and her longer legs didn't prevent Bayonetta from being built off ZSS.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
yeah, after looking at the comparison between Looney Tunes Duck Hunt and Mario in the B-K thread, it doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to edit the dog's skeleton to fit a humanoid bear, since it's very close anyway...it's definitely much simpler than Bowser Jr. to Piranha Plant, especially for the professionals who would be working on the DLC.

edit: heck, Duck Hunt's T-Pose is basically the same as human characters, they just need to edit the legs a bit (if that wasn't already clear) and work on the bird...

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
"Use as a base" is very loose; we're talking about a general starting point, not something akin to making a clone. What can be used as the basis of a clone is much different than what we're talking about here.

That said, we don't know if the issues with Duck Hunt and the Mii Swordfighter actually did have anything to do with DLC characters; in fact, I find it very unlikely that they did.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That said, we don't know if the issues with Duck Hunt and the Mii Swordfighter actually did have anything to do with DLC characters; in fact, I find it very unlikely that they did.
Yeah it's just a theory so it could very well be wrong, but saying they couldn't use Duck Hunt as a base for B-K's model doesn't make sense.

If Erdrick or whoever comes and they have Mii Swordfighter data, however, just like Piranha Plant has Bowser Jr. data, then I guess we'll know what's going on.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Then maybe it's a combo of Duck Hunt for Kazooie and the Swordfighter for Banjo in terms of a skeleton, I dunno.

Tbh the basic skeleton of the dog when it's standing up probably isn't much different from a human like Mario.

maybe it could be Ammy, but since her creator mentioned her and some others when asking people who'd they like to see in Smash around the time Sakurai said they were done...

Piranha Plant's skeleton is much different from Bowser Jr. actually, I don't see why this is a big deal.

This makes no sense to me, Cloud is owned by Square Enix and Joker is owned by Sega. Both of those companies make games that compete against Nintendo's games.
yeah, after looking at the comparison between Looney Tunes Duck Hunt and Mario in the B-K thread, it doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to edit the dog's skeleton to fit a humanoid bear, since it's very close anyway...it's definitely much simpler than Bowser Jr. to Piranha Plant, especially for the professionals who would be working on the DLC.

edit: heck, if the Models Resource guys just rip models straight from the game, then all they'd have to do is edit Duck Hunt's legs a little bit...if that wasn't clear already.
Since I need to address some stuff from these posts...

First, Kamiya is not involved at Capcom so he speaking doesn't necessarily disqualify Amy or anything.

Second, skeletons in animation are quite different from what you expect. The skeleton is literally glued to the model, so they affect the muscles as well. For any change you need to pretty much remove the skeleton, modify the model, modify the skeleton again to fit the new model, and put it together. It's literally 10 times easier to take a similar model, like the Mii Swordsman, and just modify it. If you need the duck, you can take him separately from the dog. The dog and the duck are two different models interacting, not a single one.

While Banjo and DH are similar conceptually-wise in that they are a duo, how they are implemented is quite different. Banjo has more similarity with Mii Swordman in regards that he has a disjointed hitbox and uses Kazooie as a weapon when he attacks, but Kazooie remains in the backpack otherwise. They can be used pretty much in the same model, while DH are two different models interacting in between.

Bowser Jr. is the base of the plant due to having more similarities in implementation than any other character, you have the pot/ship and only the top of the character above it. While I'm not saying that BK cannot be based on DH, I'm pretty much skeptical of it for the reasons I gave and I would think he has more reason to be based on the swordsman than DH.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Considering Spirits are just one image, and every Fighter Spirit is different from others, there's no reason to believe they alone would suddenly disconfirm someone.

AT's may. But things like "in someone's Final Smash/Victory Screens" have proven to be meaningless. Chrom pretty much removes any possibility it would've mattered. If it did, he wouldn't be among the Final Smash and Victory Screen still. That was intentional to not worry about it. To drive it further home, Mario is in PP's Victory Screen.

That really leaves Bosses, AT's, stage hazards/elements and active in someone's moveset(ala Toad). You can have bosses play and look differently at times(Ganon, for instance), AT's can be turned off while the playable character is in the current match, stage elements can be removed, but you can't just remove moveset stuff like that. You also can't remove certain kinds of stage elements/hazards. For instance, Pauline is too important to the stage's design. On the other hand, you could easily remove Captain Toad from it. It's not black and white for how stages can work, really. Toad is directly disconfirmed, though. You'd have to give both Peach and Daisy something completely different in order for Toad to be playable. This is very difficult to remove in comparison to most of the rest. For the Pauline point, she's like DK in the 75m stage. It's a key part of the stage. Whereas you could simply not have Ridley or The Ultimate Chimera show up without making the stage beyond different. It's not as simple as turning off hazards, but whether you could easily remove the stage elements without making the stage impossible to use. If you need to force a stage as Alpha or Omega to have a character playable to not confuse players, then they're clearly a key element. Another good example of something not hard to remove is Tingle from Great Bay. The reason is you don't need that hazard that much, but you could also replace it easily without another MM character(even Deku Link) and nothing would change. It's barely a hazard.
...does Captain Toad even appear on New Donk City Hall? I've never seen him show up. What are the criteria for his appearance, or is it random?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm still kinda confused, but I think I'm understanding...

I'm just still confused because Bowser Jr. and the car would have to be welded together and scaled/stretched to fit Piranha Plant, while it seems like all that needs to be done for Banjo is for the dog's legs to be changed, maybe a bit of scaling but still.

I understand it'd be easier to make Banjo using the swordsman or another human character, though; I just thought Duck Hunt could work because Kazooie could come out of the backpack, not always being tied to it directly...

edit: if it's that the skeleton has to match the muscles for the animation, it still seems like they could rip the Dog's standing animation...but yeah I understand that the swordsman would be easier to use and scale...

edit 2: though that still leaves me confused because they would have to rip Bowser Jr.'s skeleton (and maybe the car) and stretch/scale it to fit Piranha Plant's stem and everything (even if the car and Jr. are both already stuck together)...and it seems like it'd take some more work than Duck Hunt to Banjo-Kazooie :S

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...does Captain Toad even appear on New Donk City Hall? I've never seen him show up. What are the criteria for his appearance, or is it random?
It's been said in this thread that he appears on the third rotation of the map (most matches end at one and a half) or if either of the two Capetian Toad: Treasure Tracker songs are playing (by default they are set to rarely play if at all).

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Wait, what’s this whole Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt = Banjo-Kazooie fiasco? Where did it come from and is there any evidence?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wait, what’s this whole Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt = Banjo-Kazooie fiasco? Where did it come from and is there any evidence?
Someone came up with a theory that the reason why Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt can corrupt saves in All-Star mode is because DLC fighters are using them as a base. Banjo is supposedly using Duck Hunt as his base because they're both carnivorous mammals with bird partners. As for Mii Swordfighter, it could tie in to Erdrick speculation.

This was shot down, but revived because someone found Bowser Jr. data in Piranha Plant's.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Someone came up with a theory that the reason why Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt can corrupt saves in All-Star mode is because DLC fighters are using them as a base. Banjo is supposedly using Duck Hunt as his base because they're both carnivorous mammals with bird partners. As for Mii Swordfighter, it could tie in to Erdrick speculation.

This was shot down, but revived because someone found Bowser Jr. data in Piranha Plant's.
I can minutely understand the Mii Swordfighter -> Erdrick connection, but Duck Hunt -> Banjo, despite that explanation, just seems like farfetched nonsense. I'd love for a sign of Banjo being in to come about, but this is not one of them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I can minutely understand the Mii Swordfighter -> Erdrick connection, but Duck Hunt -> Banjo, despite that explanation, just seems like farfetched nonsense. I'd love for a sign of Banjo being in to come about, but this is not one of them.
Agreed, I think it's more likely a fighter would be using Duck Hunt as their base because they're a quadruped.

D

Deleted member

I'm still kinda confused, but I think I'm understanding...

I'm just still confused because Bowser Jr. and the car would have to be welded together and scaled/stretched to fit Piranha Plant, while it seems like all that needs to be done for Banjo is for the dog's legs to be changed, maybe a bit of scaling but still.

I understand it'd be easier to make Banjo using the swordsman or another human character, though; I just thought Duck Hunt could work because Kazooie could come out of the backpack, not always being tied to it directly...

edit: if it's that the skeleton has to match the muscles for the animation, it still seems like they could rip the Dog's standing animation...but yeah I understand that the swordsman would be easier to use and scale...

edit 2: though that still leaves me confused because they would have to rip Bowser Jr.'s skeleton (and maybe the car) and stretch/scale it to fit Piranha Plant's stem and everything (even if the car and Jr. are both already stuck together)...and it seems like it'd take some more work than Duck Hunt to Banjo-Kazooie :S
To be honest, the parts of DH that remind me of BK is the concept of Duo Fighter, and kind of the ways attacks would work alternating between characters. DH relies a lot on kicks (like a horse or a mule more than a dog) and turning around for the duck to attack in addition to the weird expressions for the Zapper attacks. I don't think he would be a good model to base of to BK due to the motions, considering BK also have a more hand-to-hand approach as well.

The way I see it is that if you're going to try and make a character like Banjo, it would be a character that slightly moves his head down or crouches from the standing up position to attack with Kazooie since that animation is used for most of the game movesets. Using a character like DH to test BK, would be pretty much testing BK moveset while crawling.

PP and Bowser Jr. is hard to explain and is still a bit confusing, but I think its more the concept of being a character inside a container and using the container for attacks and some other similarities like the leaf-hands and the punching-gloves from Bowser Jr.

I still dont trust this theory regarding DH and Mii Swordfighter being used directly as models for the new characters though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Use as a base" is very loose; we're talking about a general starting point, not something akin to making a clone. What can be used as the basis of a clone is much different than what we're talking about here.

If you want an example of this, Mario was used as a base to create Ness. They have barely any similarities. Kind of similar animations for a few moves at best, if you stretch it(no pun intended).

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

That’s pretty interesting. Not sure I believe it but it’s definitely worth discussing

andree123

Smash Ace
Mii Swordfighter could been the base for Lloyd Irving as they both share similar special moves.

D

Deleted member

It's obvious Duck Hunt is the base for Amaterasu. With the Duck's animations being tweaked into the Divine Retribution on her back. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I feel like some people may be a tad bit confused as to what being used as a "base" means. Correct me if Im wrong, but when animating 3d models its easier to start off with a similar model that already has animations. This just makes the animating process a lot faster once the models are rigged.

For those saying Banjo+K uses Duck hunt as a base that assumption doesnt make sense. The only thing the two characters have in common are the bird+ mammal relationship. Other than that, it would not make sense to use duck hunt as a base seeing as he moves on all fours. (Quadriped?Idk)

Mario as a base would make more sense to be honest. What GoldenYuiTusin said also makes more sense. I just doubt nintendo wants to turn this game into Nintendo Vs Capcom, so its unlikely they would receive a 4th representative with ties to their company.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's obvious Duck Hunt is the base for Amaterasu. With the Duck's animations being tweaked into the Divine Retribution on her back. :p
If only...
Mario as a base would make more sense to be honest. What GoldenYuiTusin said also makes more sense. I just doubt nintendo wants to turn this game into Nintendo Vs Capcom, so its unlikely they would receive a 4th representative with ties to their company.
Yeah. Amaterasu's inclusion may do a bit more harm than good. After all, if she (a minor Capcom character) gets in then why not Dante? Why not Chris? Why not Arthur?

After Smash Ultimate starts to die down they should totally make a Nintendo vs. Capcom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom