• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't expect her either (or at least I don't expect her as a not echo fighter)

But this thought makes me sick, because there would be nothing of wrong in adding 2 characters from the same series. It shouldn't be an obstacle. The only thing that should count is if that character "deserve" it.
Especially when we have plenty of previous cases and at least one happened in a very similar situation as reguarding numbers
Before I would have said "DK is the one series that could get two numbered newcomers this game and everyone would be fine with it," but the reaction to Isabelle makes me think Smash fans would suddenly say DK fans ruined Ultimate's roster or something (you know, how people say Ridley and K. Rool fans annoyed Sakurai until he finally added them). Even if Dixie was a semi-clone, many people would still complain that it was Dixie instead of [their favorite].

I honestly dunno what's gonna happen to Dixie now. She could be an echo, unless Sakurai couldn't get her hair to work. She could be a semi-clone like Isabelle but it's possible Isabelle was just the exception to the rule and with such few slots left Sakurai will prioritize other characters. She could be DLC but she faces tough competition with third parties and recent characters. I always kinda assumed K. Rool and Dixie were a package deal for this game, but maybe she'll just straight up miss out again. Like I said before, I genuinely feel like Sakurai is mostly responding to the overwhelming demand for K. Rool, thanks to his playable status, the Klaptrap AT, and the Gangplank Galleon remix, while otherwise ignoring DK again. Dixie might get ignored again too. :(

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Before I would have said "DK is the one series that could get two numbered newcomers this game and everyone would be fine with it," but the reaction to Isabelle makes me think Smash fans would suddenly say DK fans ruined Ultimate's roster or something (you know, how people say Ridley and K. Rool fans annoyed Sakurai until he finally added them). Even if Dixie was a semi-clone, many people would still complain that it was Dixie instead of [their favorite].

I honestly dunno what's gonna happen to Dixie now. She could be an echo, unless Sakurai couldn't get her hair to work. She could be a semi-clone like Isabelle but it's possible Isabelle was just the exception to the rule and with such few slots left Sakurai will prioritize other characters. She could be DLC but she faces tough competition with third parties and recent characters. I always kinda assumed K. Rool and Dixie were a package deal for this game, but maybe she'll just straight up miss out again. Like I said before, I genuinely feel like Sakurai is mostly responding to the overwhelming demand for K. Rool, thanks to his playable status, the Klaptrap AT, and the Gangplank Galleon remix, while otherwise ignoring DK again. Dixie might get ignored again too. :(
Well the only we can do is hope for the best and I say this for anyone who still hoping for their most wanted. I'm not throwing the towel just yet.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Per five matches then?

I still find per 10 matches to be rather "steamlined" if you ask me...
I totally agree, first thing Im doing as soon as I get Smash is a Stamina Mode marathon.. Oh btw, just grinding these vs matches can take a few hours so think of it like some sort of tournament.. Of course, it would be just a bit of warm up round seeing the real games dont truly begin until everybody is here.

Because it would take a large amount of matches to unlock everyone.
Stamina Mode with cpu opponent at 1% health makes it go a bit quicker.

I was thinking maybe 700 if my prediction is true.

10 matches: Dark Samus
20 matches: Luigi
30 matches: Ness
40 matches: Captain Falcon
50 matches: Jigglypuff
60 matches: Peach
70 matches: Daisy
80 matches: Bowser
90 matches: Ice Climbers
100 matches: Sheik
110 matches: Zelda
120 matches: Dr. Mario
130 matches: Pichu
140 matches; Falco
150 matches: Marth
160 matches: Lucina
170 matches: Young Link
180 matches: Ganondorf
190 matches: Mewtwo
200 matches: Roy
210 matches: Chrom
220 matches: Mr. Game & Watch
230 matches: Meta Knight
240 matches: Pit
250 matches: Dark Pit
260 matches: Zero Suit Samus
270 matches: Wario
280 matches: Snake
290 matches: Ike
300 matches: Pokemon Trainer
310 matches: Diddy Kong
320 matches: Dixie Kong
330 matches: Lucas
340 matches: Sonic
350 matches: Shadow
360 matches: King Dedede
370 matches: Olimar
380 matches: Lucario
390 matches: R.O.B.
400 matches: Toon Link
410 matches: Wolf
420 matches: Villager
430 matches: Mega Man
440 matches: Wii Fit Trainer
450 matches: Rosalina & Luma
460 matches: Little Mac
470 matches: Greninja
480 matches: Mii Fighter
490 matches: Palutena
500 matches: Medusa
510 matches: Pac-Man
520 matches: Robin
530 matches: Shulk
540 matches: Bowser Jr.
550 matches: Duck Hunt
560 matches: Ryu
570 matches: Ken
580 matches: Cloud
590 matches: Corrin
600 matches: Bayonetta
610 matches: Inkling
620 matches: Ridley
630 matches: Simon
640 matches: Richter
650 matches: King K. Rool
660 matches: Isabelle
670 matches: Incineroar
680 matches: Banjo-Kazooie or Steve
690 matches: Elma
700 matches: Geno
^ This would be perfect!

Maybe squeeze in Isaac and Skull Kid for 720 and we are good to go.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I totally agree, first thing Im doing as soon as I get Smash is a Stamina Mode marathon.. Oh btw, just grinding these vs matches can take a few hours so think of it like some sort of tournament.. Of course, it would be just a bit of warm up round seeing the real games dont truly begin until everybody is here.

Stamina Mode with cpu opponent at 1% health makes it go a bit quicker.

^ This would be perfect!

Maybe squeeze in Isaac and Skull Kid for 720 and we are good to go.
That method kind of seems boring. Yeah, it’s quick, but it’s also really cheap and feels like cheating the game. They’re probably speaking about a fun and intended method of quickly unlocking the characters when they talk about streamlining.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
The method I plan to use all depends on whether that Best Buy amiibo rumor is proven true. First, I'd use my Robin amiibo at the start so that I'd instantly unlock him. Next, I'd play the rest of the VS matches as him until I unlock the rest of the other characters. When I finally unlock the last character, I'd already have gotten used to the game, as well as a firm understanding on how Robin plays in this installment. Seems like a win-win to me.

TeamFlareZakk

That method kind of seems boring. Yeah, it’s quick, but it’s also really cheap and feels like cheating the game. They’re probably speaking about a fun and intended method of quickly unlocking the characters when they talk about streamlining.
Thats why its just one way to unlock the characters, Im sure there will be other options if you want to do it another way.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
That was possible because the FE characters have the same body type allowing them to easily copy/paste one character's moves onto another. DK and Dixie do not share the same body type.
This. Plus DK's animation has his arms spinning. I don't think it's trivial to slap the animation onto Dixie and use her hair instead (an appendage DK lacks too).

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I know it's probably too early to be discussing DLC now, but I'm starting to wonder if Spring Man is a shoo-in like so many others seem to believe. It's important to remember that, despite, Splatoon's popularity, the only thing it got in Smash 4's DLC was a Mii costume of the Inklings. ARMS hasn't even sold as well as Splatoon, so unless Nintendo wants to push the IP aggressively, I don't think Spring Man is as likely as people seem to think.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know it's probably too early to be discussing DLC now, but I'm starting to wonder if Spring Man is a shoo-in like so many others seem to believe. It's important to remember that, despite, Splatoon's popularity, the only thing it got in Smash 4's DLC was a Mii costume of the Inklings. ARMS hasn't even sold as well as Splatoon, so unless Nintendo wants to push the IP aggressively, I don't think Spring Man is as likely as people seem to think.
Not selling as well as Splatoon isn’t really a problem, considering Splatoon was a breakout hit. ARMS sold over two million copies, being an unproven IP on a new console. That’s unquestionably a hit, so ARMS is guaranteed to become a series.

TeamFlareZakk

Too early indeed.. We need to see the full roster released and a announcement for dlc first.

I was wondering if Namco Bandai would have their character for dlc.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think we can still agree on Spring Man w/ Ribbon Girl as an echo and Rex being DLC for sure can we?
Nope. Spring Man is the only one that honestly sounds "for sure" at best. Rex & Pyra are possible. So is a Ribbon Girl echo(that is, if she has the same proportions. Because it doesn't much matter if she's an alt or echo overall. It matters if Sakurai can find a way to make her interesting and different enough to justify an Echo. She can easily be an Alph situation where there's no actual content worth adding to justify a separate slot. At least yet).

Judd

Smash Rookie
I think we can still agree on Spring Man w/ Ribbon Girl as an echo and Rex being DLC for sure can we?
Arms doesn't deserve a Echo fighter if Splatoon doesn't get a second character imo. I know sales shouldn't get translated in the amount of characters, but it is a fact that ARMS didn't archieve anything to get the same amount of reps than Animal Crossing and more than Splatoon and Pikmin. I know that two of those three character ideas are deconfirmed, but Squid Sisters, Octolings and even Judd alone or as a Judd Duo would be more deserving additions than a second ARMS rep.

The franchise should have to prove itself once again and develop a real fanbase that doesn't vanish 2-3 months after launch before getting 2 reps.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace

This scenario sucks too much, and I know it's exactly what will be

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That doesn't confirm or disconfirm anything; the woman who said that message was actually a community representative for Mojang, not a Microsoft rep. or a leading Minecraft developer like Jens. If she did know (though unlikely), her answer was pretty much "we don't know but show your support!" and sounded sorta dodgey, a typical PR answer, plus the guy asked "Do you think?" and not "Will he be?" so it was pretty much all banter.

Minecraft won't be disconfirmed until we watch the final direct and there's still no MC content to be seen.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Did you guys see this, it looks awesome. Someone rendered Isaac for the "Everyone is Here" image of the whole cast.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Edit: Woops thought this was the Isaac thread, well enjoy anyway. :p

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Arms doesn't deserve a Echo fighter if Splatoon doesn't get a second character imo. I know sales shouldn't get translated in the amount of characters, but it is a fact that ARMS didn't archieve anything to get the same amount of reps than Animal Crossing and more than Splatoon and Pikmin. I know that two of those three character ideas are deconfirmed, but Squid Sisters, Octolings and even Judd alone or as a Judd Duo would be more deserving additions than a second ARMS rep.

The franchise should have to prove itself once again and develop a real fanbase that doesn't vanish 2-3 months after launch before getting 2 reps.
There's nothing stopping Octoling from being DLC. If Octoling and Ribbon Girl both gets in through that. That's fair game then.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

I can totes see us getting a few new characters revealed sometime this month, most likely Incineroar and ugh the Street Fighter echo whom Im not really too interested in, hopefully maybe another echo or two and then next month November we will see the entire roster revealed in one mega direct.

I was also wondering if Square would have their own Direct so it could possibly be three more Directs if Square wants to showcase their character in their own Direct.

So Im thinking from here on out the Directs will be like this.

September: Isabelle

October: Incineroar and a few Echos ( Ken and hopefully Medusa )

November: Multiple characters, all Newcomers and echos are revealed!

Square might reveal their characters in their own Directs, likely Geno is in and Sora for dlc.

Also worth mentioning is we could get a Pokemon themed Direct for Incineroar so that gives October a chance to have two Directs with new characters one from the Pokemon direct being Incineroar and a Smash mini direct with a Newcomer and a few echos.

I have a hunch characters such as Sora, Banjo and Steve will be dlc.

Newcomers and echos I look forward to seeing are Incineroar, Skull Kid, Elma, Bandana Dee, Shadow, Isaac, Medusa, Black Knight, Black Shadow, Octoling, Dixie, Geno, Sora, Ken.

I can see quite a few added as part of the villains theme and I can totally see the roster going to 82 fighters, plus the upcoming dlc.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I can totes see us getting a few new characters revealed sometime this month, most likely Incineroar and ugh the Street Fighter echo whom Im not really too interested in, hopefully maybe another echo or two and then next month November we will see the entire roster revealed in one mega direct.

I was also wondering if Square would have their own Direct so it could possibly be three more Directs if Square wants to showcase their character in their own Direct.

So Im thinking from here on out the Directs will be like this.

September: Isabelle

October: Incineroar and a few Echos ( Ken and hopefully Medusa )

November: Multiple characters, all Newcomers and echos are revealed!

Square might reveal their characters in their own Directs, likely Geno is in and Sora for dlc.

Also worth mentioning is we could get a Pokemon themed Direct for Incineroar so that gives October a chance to have two Directs with new characters one from the Pokemon direct being Incineroar and a Smash mini direct with a Newcomer and a few echos.

I have a hunch characters such as Sora, Banjo and Steve will be dlc.

Newcomers and echos I look forward to seeing are Incineroar, Skull Kid, Elma, Bandana Dee, Shadow, Isaac, Medusa, Black Knight, Black Shadow, Octoling, Dixie, Geno, Sora, Ken.

I can see quite a few added as part of the villains theme and I can totally see the roster going to 82 fighters, plus the upcoming dlc.
No way Nintendo will let Square reveal Smash stuff on a Direct of their own.

Is there even any precedent for Square having their own Direct-like livestream? I’ve never heard of any.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
They revealed 9 new characters (including echoes) in 3 months and half.
There are only 2 months remaining.
I know that you hate "theories" but
9/3.5 is 2.5 or 2.6 depending on how you round it: it means 5 characters in 2 months.

Only 2 months are remaining, and Sakurai said that they will slow down with the reveals, so I think we can't expect more than 4 characters at best (including echoes), no matter what the blog, the chairs or the box say.

Also there's a possibility that the last Smash Direct will be in october and not in november like many of you expect. As I said in the general thread (and I got backlash because I used the word "theory" in the post), with Final Destination (5 september) they ran our of new stages to show in the blog. I know that this is a weak evidence, but since the blog exists to promote the new game, it makes no sense that they only show old content, even if it's revamped. They need to reveal new stages soon in order to promote the game by showing new content, and I can't see more than 1 stage being revealed in a regular Direct... I think we could possibly get a Smash Direct even next week or the week after.
I'm not saying that it will happen for sure, but I think it's possible and it would make sense in order to advertise the game.

Since they have always revealed characters out of nowhere during the last weeks before the release (Brawl and Smash 4), I also suspect that they will keep one unexpected character to be revealed in late november, so a Smash Direct in october doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any Smash news until the release.

Again, I'm not saying that this will happen for sure, I think this is very possible though.

My predictions are (assuming that Vergeben is legit):

October:
-Incineroar
-Ken (Echo)

November:
-Geno or Dixie Kong as unique/semiclone

I think it's safe to expect DLCs, with such a small amount of newcomers left for the base game (3 or 4 it doesn't matter).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Geno is more likely to be DLC at this point. For SE, they can't make money off of him to much of a degree, which makes DLC a better option for an obscure character with high popularity. Being they already have no way to make money off of him outside of SMRPG sales via VC(which the Switch doesn't have), this would be more useful for them business-wise. Besides that, Verg's information makes a lot of implications he's likely to be DLC, which is all the evidence we have towards him being in the game.

There's far more likely base roster characters, those who are already active IP's that don't need to make the company extra money. They're more logical for base. We're going to get a DLC announcement soon enough, obviously, and they need actual frontrunners to make it work. Geno is one of the few easy choices that works perfectly for it. There's more than enough fan demand to do so.

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
Geno is more likely to be DLC at this point. For SE, they can't make money off of him to much of a degree, which makes DLC a better option for an obscure character with high popularity. Being they already have no way to make money off of him outside of SMRPG sales via VC(which the Switch doesn't have), this would be more useful for them business-wise. Besides that, Verg's information makes a lot of implications he's likely to be DLC, which is all the evidence we have towards him being in the game.

There's far more likely base roster characters, those who are already active IP's that don't need to make the company extra money. They're more logical for base. We're going to get a DLC announcement soon enough, obviously, and they need actual frontrunners to make it work. Geno is one of the few easy choices that works perfectly for it. There's more than enough fan demand to do so.
In my opinion, Geno would be a cool charcater to release right before the game comes out, it just makes sense.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

While I mainly agree with you. Sorry I feel DJ Octavio should be the next main newcomer for Ultimate from the Splatoon franchise over Squid Sisters and Judd both of which (especially Judd) feel like perfect assist trophy fodder. DJ Octavio could be a unique heavyweight, another villain, and I feel is just much more interesting of a choice.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This is my prediction at this point.

69: Medusa (Reason for unique is because after some good debate why she can't be a full-blown echo to Palutena and so at best maybe a semi-clone)
70: Incineroar
71: Isaac
72: Geno

16e: Impa
38e: Shadow
60e: Ken
71e: Felix

Still hoping at the same time too that Elma, Banjo and Black Shadow makes it somehow. At this point too I don't think Dixie is gonna get in unfortunately which is a shame since it'd complete the DK roster. Skull Kid as well since his chances dwindled due to Lolz18 being a fraud. Maybe they can make it as DLC perhaps.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is my prediction at this point.

69: Medusa (Reason for unique is because after some good debate why she can't be a full-blown echo to Palutena and so at best maybe a semi-clone)
70: Incineroar
71: Isaac
72: Geno

16e: Impa
38e: Shadow
60e: Ken
71e: Felix

Still hoping at the same time too that Elma, Banjo and Black Shadow makes it somehow. At this point too I don't think Dixie is gonna get in unfortunately which is a shame since it'd complete the DK roster. Skull Kid as well since his chances dwindled due to Lolz18 being a fraud. Maybe they can make it as DLC perhaps.
You’re insane if you think Medusa will get in as a unique newcomer. She’s either an Echo or she’s not in.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You’re insane if you think Medusa will get in as a unique newcomer. She’s either an Echo or she’s not in.
Believe me I'd think she'd be an echo but after an debate last night with fellow users they made some good points why she'd at best be a semi-clone like Isabelle is to Villager.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Believe me I'd think she'd be an echo but after an debate last night with fellow users they made some good points why she'd at best be a semi-clone like Isabelle is to Villager.
I don’t doubt that Medusa has the moveset potential to be a semiclone, but she has nowhere near the popularity to warrant a spot as one.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don’t doubt that Medusa has the moveset potential to be a semiclone, but she has nowhere near the popularity to warrant a spot as one.
I suppose. I can still keep hoping though. Even if she doesn't get in I'm happy with what I got.

:ultkrool::ultridley:

Can always hope too through DLC.

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
Now that we’ve got :ultridley::ultkrool: in the rooster we should be able to get Geno Mario RPG or Tetra from WW

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In my opinion, Geno would be a cool charcater to release right before the game comes out, it just makes sense.
It makes sense... because? Sorry, but how does that make sense at all? I've seen good reasons why some characters are DLC, and in many cases, it's because a 3rd party company either wants to gauge the character's popularity(which is perfect for characters who are from inactive IP's) or to make actual money from them(as they can't if they're base to the same degree). Each single purchase would gather extra money for the 3rd party company, but it would still more importantly tell them how many people outright want them revived/care about the character. This is really helpful since you can't tell easily by people writing outrageous statements on the internet or from polls necessarily. They need hard and clear data. Is it perfect? Nah. It might mean they think the character only should appear in Smash and don't care about them being revived. But it is still better than nothing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
She is the main villain of a franchise that Sakurai himself was involved with.
She's to Pit as Bowser is to Mario as King K. Rool is to Donkey as Ridley is to Samus as Ganondorf is to Link, etc.

Especially considering she has a history with Pit and Palutena and starred in the first and latest game.

GameGod2973

Smash Cadet
This blog is about characters that are suggested by fans but are underrated for some other reason or straight up hated by fans for usually stupid and absurd reason.

Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Projects)

Reimu Hakurei hails from the still on going bullet hell series called Touhou. Even though she is one of the oldest indie characters, being first released in 1996, she's completely overshadowed by both Shantae (even though she didn't even start out as one) and Quote from Cave Story. Besides that, she also is cussed out for being "more weeaboo trash" like the Fire Emblem characters. I personally see her working becausr of the past release of Touhou fighting games and Touhou being released on Nintendo consoles before in the past and even now.

Cuphead

Cuphead seems to fall under the same complaints as Freddy Fazbear and Sans. He is cussed out all because of a few pieces of porn art and girls hitting on Cuphead's characters. There is also the aurgeement of "not being on Nintendo consoles" but that hasn't stopped Sakurai or his team since almost everyone is chosen pre-development. I can even see Mugman working as an echo.

Steve (Minecraft)

Similar to Cuphead, Steve is also shunned all because of bad fans. But he has been put onto Nintendo consoles before and also has alot, and I do mean alot, of moveset options. When has a bad person ruined something you loved?

Any mobile character

This includes characters like Red from Angry Birds, Crazy Dave from Plants vs Zombies, ect. Even when they clearly have been released on Nintendo consoles (the entire Plants vs Zombies game was ported to the DS) and have good moveset potential, people state that "they aren't real games". When has being on a phone ever ruined a character concept wise?

Any good Skylander

This series also gets alot of hate because of Spyro nostalgia man children saying that "the ****ed up Spyro's face!" SO WHAT HIS NOSE GOT SMALLER? Anyway there is also people who can't look pass the main mechanism of buying toys to use in game which was revolutionary at the time. Skylanders has alot of good qualities like cartoon graphics, amazing music and satisfactory moments. Alot of Skylanders have good moveset potential and isn't Crash or Spyro (Trigger Happy, Gil Grunt, Golden Queen, ect.)

I know I may sound like a salt filled 10 year old, but before you start typing your assumptions, hear this: You don't need to be mad and jerks just because someone wants a character that you don't like or when someone wants to add their personal character. Stop sticking to bad experiences and band wagon jumping and leave them alone.

(pictures are hard to insert from my phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom