• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I doubt we'll get another Metroid character through DLC. I think Sylux would actually be pretty cool, but when we already got Ridley and Dark Samus added? That's a lot of Metroid, and this is way more than most of us Metroid fans expected to be honest. Similarly if Pokemon gets a unique base character I wouldn't expect another to show up because of the backlash, same with FE (Even though we might finally get a halfway decent Axe user...).

I think Rex and Springman are the most sensible first party characters that missed the cutoff for this game. If we end up with say, Incineroar and Geno as final reveals, we might see a DLC cycle like this (I'm going to assume we get 7 again just for the sake of things, though to be fair, we don't know if DLC will be a thing and I'm afraid Sakurai might just stop at release).

1. Fan Pick Not in the Base Roster - Basically your Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Skull Kid, etc. A popular character that didn't make the base roster.
2. Springman w/ Ribbon Girl Echo (Preferably they'd choose someone more interesting, but I think he makes the most sense)
3. Rex and Pyra
4. Dragon Quest Character (Biggest franchise not in Smash from Japan) or Sora
5. Lloyd Irving - He's got the popularity and Namco could always use a good second rep.
6. Waluigi (Entirely depends on how Sakurai responded to the outcry for him, but if any character has a chance at the upgrade, it's him)
7. A Western Third Party - We've yet to see one in Smash, but we have seen Rayman in limited capacity as a trophy. I think he or another western third party gets a character here.

Wild Card: IF we get Steve on base roster, then I'd probably call Banjo Kazooie a likely DLC pick. He might just be the fan pick I mentioned above in that situation.

Not necessarily in that order, but I'd imagine something like this would be our DLC cycle. We got three third parties last time, so I wouldn't be surprised with a similar number. First party IPs make sense as the greater overall focus of DLC, and I could imagine a cycle where he continues to focus on fan picks, but I wouldn't count on it either.
Nah, Bomberman is way, way more important than Waluigi, no matter how much you meme Waluigi up.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Another thing if Waluigi gets made DLC then people are gonna start asking for Ashley, Bomberman and such. It'll cause lot more conservatory with fans demanding those characters as well which is why I think it'd be better if Waluigi and others were saved for the next Smash.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Another thing if Waluigi gets made DLC then people are gonna start asking for Ashley, Bomberman and such. It'll cause lot more conservatory with fans demanding those characters as well which is why I think it'd be better if Waluigi and others were saved for the next Smash.
Sure, that's guaranteed to happen if he is made into a playable fighter DLC wise. I don't necessarily see the point in saying we need to save characters for the next Smash (Because invariably, the next Smash will be worse roster wise unless they just continue to build off of Ultimate and if a character couldn't get in now, I doubt they'd survive a tighter chopping block). Waluigi has been acknowledged by Reggie, which sure was PR for shut up fans. But again, he's probably got the loudest audience of any first party assist trophy (Ashley doesn't have that quite yet).

I agree Bomberman is more important, but that's Konami and third party issues. First party characters are almost always going to be the easier pick. Assist trophy wise we have Midna, Ghirahim, Waluigi, Ashley, Lyn, and Krystal as the pseudo reasonable picks for upgrade. Of those Waluigi, Lyn, and Ashley probably have the biggest current support and overall fandom. Lyn loses a lot of points (Unfortunately) due to her being a Fire Emblem character. Waluigi was popular before he became an even bigger internet meme, and I just don't think Ashley has the popularity to beat him in that regard.

I'm just saying an assist trophy upgrade could happen via DLC. There isn't anything to say it can't, but it also hasn't happened yet in the same game. Sakurai is always doing things differently, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a DLC character be an assist trophy properly acknowledged.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
"Slow down the character reveals" ok that most likely means they will just reveal everybody ( especially Medusa ) in one Smash Direct, there isnt too many upcoming Directs to use to reveal characters.. Probably just a Pokemon Direct for Incineroar but thats about it.. One thing I know for sure Medusa is coming to Smash bay bay!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Sometimes I wish Hudson Soft still existed (not absorbed by Konami), so maybe we could have had Bomberman as a full character and some other Hudson characters doing cameos as trophies and assist trophies (Milon!).

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone thought of doing a Katalina from Granblue Fantasy thread? Nintendo owns about 5% of the IP rights holders [Cygames] and have partnered with them for Dragalia Lost and Fire Emblem Heroes, and according to a credible leaker, Cygames and Nintendo are in talks about including her as DLC.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Has anyone thought of doing a Katalina from Granblue Fantasy thread? Nintendo owns about 5% of the IP rights holders [Cygames] and have partnered with them for Dragalia Lost and Fire Emblem Heroes, and according to a credible leaker, Cygames and Nintendo are in talks about including her as DLC.
What exactly makes this leaker credible?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The content of the leak doesn’t seem likely anyways. Granblue Fantasy getting in Smash is one of the longest shots I’ve seen.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Leaked Samurai Shodown reboot, Skullomania in SNK Heroines, other fighting game stuff.
I wouldn't go off of someone's leaks for one game and company as credibility for another one.
If that's the case, we should dismiss Verge after his MvC:I and SC6 claims, despite him being 100% on the mark for Ultimate.
Just because he got a certain title wrong or correct doesn't equate to the other information being fake or real.

With that said, it's something to keep in mind, but don't take it as a hard confirmation.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure this has been asked repeatedly, but you guys think we're getting anyone other than the big four? (Ken/Incerroar/SE Rep/Steve) I personally hope we can get just one more character who hasn't been leaked, even if it's just an echo or a DLC announcement.

EDIT: A letter

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm sure this has been asked repeatedly, but you guys think we're getting anyone other than the big four? (Ken/Incerroar/SQ Rep/Steve) I personally hope we can get just one more character who hasn't been leaked, even if it's just an echo or a DLC announcement.
I'd like Banjo-Kazooie, Skull Kid, Geno, and Gengar.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm sure this has been asked repeatedly, but you guys think we're getting anyone other than the big four? (Ken/Incerroar/SE Rep/Steve) I personally hope we can get just one more character who hasn't been leaked, even if it's just an echo or a DLC announcement.

EDIT: A letter
I don’t think we’re getting two of said four. A Pokémon newcomer feels iffier by the day, and Steve is not gonna happen.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The content of the leak doesn’t seem likely anyways. Granblue Fantasy getting in Smash is one of the longest shots I’ve seen.
Yeah. Not only is the franchise Japan-exclusive, there is a Granblue Fantasy game coming out exclusively for the PS4, and the developers will end up promoting a game for a rival's console.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah. Not only is the franchise Japan-exclusive, there is a Granblue Fantasy game coming out exclusively for the PS4, and the developers will end up promoting a game for a rival's console.
MGS4 came out less than half a year after Brawl. I don't think they care that much... not that a Granblue character is happening anyway.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Yeah, for sure. I’m no boxist.

Shadow, Isaac, Dixie and Bandanna Dee seem like safe bets. After that it depends on how many newcomers are left.
Nah,,, People seriously overestimated the chances of that character.

Honestly, Shadow and Isaac are also 50% and not safe bets; not even Geno.

I would say that Dixie is the only character who has very high chances of being in, though she missing from leaks is not really positive for her inclusion.
I'm even taking Ken and Incineroar with a grain of salt too; that screenshot is very detailed and all, but I have seen lots of impressive photoshop works in the past and this may be one of those; not to mention Steve.

I think that Bandana Waddle Dee's only hope is if Sakurai decides to ignore his own selection criteria to please all those people who requested him; that's the very only case I can see Bandana Dee in smash.
Let's be real, K Rool and Ridley were very requested but they are also very important and iconic in the series they come from; K Rool was unused but it's still the main villain of the DK classics, he's part of Nintendo's history.
Bandana Dee only appears everywhere but he has nowere near as much relevance as King K Rool and Ridley, not even Dark Samus to be precise.
Appearing in some minor spin-offs, throwing food at the player and sleeping, being a joke boss... yes, he has been playable, but that means nothing, look at Toad.... and the Nabbit.
I also think that Sakurai would be against the inclusion of Bandana Dee, and that's just because he created the character.
He created the character as a costume for a minigame, he was not intended to be a full character but a funny costume; other regular enemies in that minigame had costumes as well, none of them became a character.
Bandana Dee as a character goes against his initial vision of the character, and since Sakurai dislikes when people propose him to change his vision, I think he would be against the character.
Look at Kirby's color, and in Smash Ultimate, at how he was against changing WiiFit Trainer's face and making Villager's neck a bit longer, so much that he felt like mentioning it in the presentation and in some interviews.
Guys, Bandana Dee is most likely not happening.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Okay, but do you think we could be getting anyone besides Ken or and SE rep?
I'm still holding out hope for a Rhythm Heaven rep after nearly getting one in Smash 4. Maybe there'd be a couple other suspected echos like Shadow and Dixie seeing as those are only revealed so far in Sakurai presentations, fitting with the newcomer pace thing as those may not be "true" newcomers.

We've seen Sakurai revisit a few old ideas in Smash like Sukapon as an item and Ditto as a Pokemon (Melee era), and Chrom as a playable character (Sm4sh era). And perhaps the most significant planned but never made characters for Smash would be whatever Rhythm Heaven rep was meant for Sm4sh and at the very least Dixie of Brawl's "forbidden seven" (we're still not 100% sure on what "pramai" and "Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik" were). Dixie was going to be in a tag team with Diddy and may have had a prototype, just to be cut because of technical problems. And no matter the reason the RH rep was cut, their development was still significant enough for there to be emblem data and maybe also the Smash Run enemy and trophies (which could have been continued with despite the initial scrapping of the character). Note that in Dixie's case, there might not be technical problems if they still wanted her to be a tag team (but with Kiddy or something) as we are past the days of Brawl and 3DS-limited Sm4sh and finally got Ditto programmed in as intended back in Melee.
"Slow down the character reveals" ok that most likely means they will just reveal everybody ( especially Medusa ) in one Smash Direct, there isnt too many upcoming Directs to use to reveal characters.. Probably just a Pokemon Direct for Incineroar but thats about it.. One thing I know for sure Medusa is coming to Smash bay bay!
What makes you so sure??

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Nah,,, People seriously overestimated the chances of that character.

I would say that Dixie is the only character who has very high chances of being in, though she missing from leaks is not really positive for her inclusion.
I'm even taking Ken and Incineroar with a grain of salt too; that screenshot is very detailed and all, but I have seen lots of impressive photoshop works in the past and this may be one of those; not to mention Steve.

I think that Bandana Waddle Dee's only hope is if Sakurai decides to ignore his own selection criteria to please all those people who requested him; that's the very only case I can see Bandana Dee in smash.
Let's be real, K Rool and Ridley were very requested but they are also very important and iconic in the series they come from; K Rool was unused but it's still the main villain of the DK classics, he's part of Nintendo's history.
Bandana Dee only appears everywhere but he has nowere near as much relevance as King K Rool and Ridley, not even Dark Samus to be precise.
Appearing in some minor spin-offs, throwing food at the player and sleeping, being a joke boss... yes, he has been playable, but that means nothing, look at Toad.... and the Nabbit.
I also think that Sakurai would be against the inclusion of Bandana Dee, and that's just because he created the character.
He created the character as a costume for a minigame, he was not intended to be a full character but a funny costume; other regular enemies in that minigame had costumes as well, none of them became a character.
Bandana Dee as a character goes against his initial vision of the character, and since Sakurai dislikes when people propose him to change his vision, I think he would be against the character.
Look at Kirby's color, and in Smash Ultimate, at how he was against changing WiiFit Trainer's face and making Villager's neck a bit longer, so much that he felt like mentioning it in the presentation and in some interviews.
Guys, Bandana Dee is most likely not happening.
Absolutely not

Shadow is safe bet on all front

Knuckles suposivly taking is place

Perfect sonic echo

Ritcher proves more than one third party from a series and not just the company

There’s too much going for shadow right now

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945

I would say that Dixie is the only character who has very high chances of being in
You have it backwards honestly, Dixie seems like DLC at best, no way they are adding two new DK reps, even if she's an echo.

If you wanna order them in likeliness:

Geno (100% imo, base or first dlc like Mewtwo)
Shadow (80% easy echo, popular, everything points to him)

Then Isaac and Bandana are less likely but still more likely than Dixie imo.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
You have it backwards honestly, Dixie seems like DLC at best, no way they are adding two new DK reps, even if she's an echo.

If Dixie ends up as dlc,it might be for the better then she could probably be a semi clone, many of her fans feel like it would be too out of character for her to be almost exactly like Diddy.
My self personally would definitely agree with them though it wouldn't hurt me so much if she was an echo but if she's dlc then they should put more effort to her uniqueness.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I can't understand why 2 FE characters in 7 dlc was good, but 2 DK characters in the base roster of a game with AT LEAST more than 9 newcomers is not good

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Metroid got two newcomers: a unique newcomer (Ridley) and an echo (Dark Samus)

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I can't understand why 2 FE characters in 7 dlc was good, but 2 DK characters in the base roster of a game with AT LEAST more than 9 newcomers is not good
There's nothing bad about it, it's just that many aren't expecting it to happen especially when there's only so many characters left to add.

I still have my hope for Dixie though.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
At this point the likelyhood of a character depends on how much you trust the leaks...
If you are skeptical about leaks (like myself), I think there is no way to predict what Sakurai will do.

I said Dixie because IMO she's even more important than K Rool, and it's strange that K Rool is in and Dixie is not; I totally expect her to be added very soon.
They are both important but Dixie is still an active character in the new games, while K Rool was important only in the SNES games.

Anyway, I doubt Dixie would be an echo, her ponytail is too much of a gameplay gimmick to ignore it and give her Diddy's moves.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
At this point the likelyhood of a character depends on how much you trust the leaks...
If you are skeptical about leaks (like myself), I think there is no way to predict what Sakurai will do.

I said Dixie because IMO she's even more important than K Rool, and it's strange that K Rool is in and Dixie is not; I totally expect her to be added very soon.
They are both important but Dixie is still an active character in the new games, while K Rool was important only in the SNES games.

Anyway, I doubt Dixie would be an echo, her ponytail is too much of a gameplay gimmick to ignore it and give her Diddy's moves.
Yeah. They said that the reason why Isabelle is not an echo of Villager is because they have completely different personalities and proportions. While Dixie has the same proportions as Diddy, she would not make sense as his echo. As you said, her ponytail is too iconic to her to not include in her moveset.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice

Let's not forget that none of the trusted leakers knew about K. Rool. It's possible that Dixie is in the same boat, considering they're both from the same franchise and perhaps that's how Sakurai handles development.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom