• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I... don't think we're getting 12 more. Even just adding that to what we currently know. That's 12 + 9. 21 characters. That's more newcomers then any previous game in the series in the base game. Even if a good degree of that number are echoes. It's still a bit much.

Right now my expectations for the base game the rest of the way is 5 at most*. Including echo fighters in that number. There's still so much we don't know about this game that aren't characters or stages. The next Smash direct has more then characters to cover.

*If I'm wrong about that, I'll have no problem with that. More characters is always good. Just hard for me to expect any more then 5 based on how much time is left for release and what we know so far.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
It would be pretty silly if the game had more newcomers than ever before since Sakurai said they hoped we weren't expecting too many new fighters.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll honestly be satisfied even if this is it.

69: Incineroar
70: Geno
38e: Shadow
54e: Medusa
60e: Ken

At the same time though it could be even this.

70: Tails

With Geno being announced as the first DLC character given the Mewtwo treatment.

Something though tells me Skull Kid will probably get in instead of Medusa so then Geno/Tails might be 71 while Skull Kid is 70.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I... don't think we're getting 12 more. Even just adding that to what we currently know. That's 12 + 9. 21 characters. That's more newcomers then any previous game in the series in the base game. Even if a good degree of that number are echoes. It's still a bit much.

Right now my expectations for the base game the rest of the way is 5 at most*. Including echo fighters in that number. There's still so much we don't know about this game that aren't characters or stages. The next Smash direct has more then characters to cover.

*If I'm wrong about that, I'll have no problem with that. More characters is always good. Just hard for me to expect any more then 5 based on how much time is left for release and what we know so far.
Given that we have 2 months to go, 5 newcomers including Echoes seems like lowballing it way too hard to me.

Given that Echoes seem especially focused towards padding out the roster, like the Melee clones and Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina in 4, I don’t think they really count as full newcomer slots.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Given that we have 2 months to go, 5 newcomers including Echoes seems like lowballing it way too hard to me.

Given that Echoes seem especially focused towards padding out the roster, like the Melee clones and Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina in 4, I don’t think they really count as full newcomer slots.
I get that, though this may just be at least partly me purposefully lowballing so that if I am wrong about that. Then my expectations would be blown away and thus would be more happy then if I had expected as many characters then there actually are.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I get that, though this may just be at least partly me purposefully lowballing so that if I am wrong about that. Then my expectations would be blown away and thus would be more happy then if I had expected as many characters then there actually are.
I can understand that. Personally, I prefer to hype responsibly. Any feeling of letdown is temporary, but there’s no feeling nicer than hype, so I guess I don’t mind feeling letdown for a couple of days if I get to hype for two months.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, we only got a few more left coming. If we take those exact words, that means 3-5 should be expected. Maybe 6 total. Including Isabelle.

If it isn't 2 more after her(which is highly realistic), then maybe 2 or 3 more. However, it's not easy to figure out the base roster. Elma is possible for a 6th, but after Incineroar and Ken, you get 2 more. Steve? and Shadow certainly work well for base compared to DLC(which only Shadow would reasonably sell anyway).

I'm not expecting more than 2 left, and it's not just the box theory, but there's literally no reason to believe there's more even with the iffy Steve? rumors. Until he gets more weight other than being a legitimate possibility for base, there's nothing going for him beyond a rumor that doesn't even know if he's base or not.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here is a topic: Do you think Sakurai planned a substantial list of unique newcomers for Ultimate's first project plan like he did for Brawl and Smash 4, creating moveset concepts for every newcomer (aside from the Pokemon newcomer that is decided later), cutting down as time goes on if work on the newcomer goes unifinished (like what nearly happened with Bowser Jr., or the forbidden 7 that got cut due to Sonic and Susbpace Emissary)? Obviously veterans took priority over newcomers this time, as stated by Sakurai with it being his primary goal. Do you think he would take a different approach and only design less than 10 unique newcomers with moveset concepts in favor of veterans?

I think Sakurai has a lot of newcomer ideas he would like to implement, and I think he will development in the same approach as the previous two games. How big would the priority list actually is? Since Sakurai re-used the engine for Smash 4 to Ultimate to get all 58 characters back, character development priority list may been just focused on cut veterans and unique newcomers, which could open opportunities to develop and finish more unique newcomers Sakurai wants to implement than expected. Do you think the development of cut veterans would stand a major way against developing more unique newcomers? Or would they not intrude much because they already have a moveset developed for them?

Like, a few may have already been fully or half-way implemented previously in Smash 4's base game like Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers to easily port over for future reference (Like Ultimate), possibly cutting down the remaining work to just Snake, Wolf, Young Link, and Pichu. Sakurai might consider these veterans big enough work as a unique newcomer to cut down the full amount he could implement, possibly limiting the newcomer count from being able to finish 15+ unique newcomers to a measly 9-11 unique newcomers for Ultimate. For my stance on the matter, I do not think getting the remaining veterans will be a major obstacle. I think Sakurai will get a 100+ staff huge development team that will get him to implement all of his unique newcomer ideas.

That is assuming, a Subspace-like mode does not happen (Or if development for a story mode goes smoothly, fixing the mistakes that halted character development in Brawl to a large degree). Personally, I think the idea of Sakurai not at least planning 10+ unique newcomers for the project plan, with only planning a few is very unlikely, unless DLC is part of the original project plan that allows him to develop the remaining unique newcomer ideas, should game balance and the new big mode be considered major enough obstacles to Sakurai (alongside possible character development cuts due to time). Unless, Sakurai isn't thinking about DLC focusing on base game development before anything else. But what do you think?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He said excluding the aura part

But yea that part is what could zeraora could echo
The aura doesn't matter. It's the proportions. Lucario and Zeraora are way too different.

An echo does not mean they'll have the same gameplay mechanic. Lucina and Chrom are proof of that, as they removed it. What they do have, which is more important, is the same proportions. Mechanic changes seems to be relatively normal for Echoes.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!

Um thats why its called Ultimate, so more characters then ever truly makes sense.
I'll honestly be satisfied even if this is it.

70: Geno

At the same time though it could be even this.

70: Tails

With Geno being announced as the first DLC character given the Mewtwo treatment.

Something though tells me Skull Kid will probably get in instead of Medusa so then Geno/Tails might be 71 while Skull Kid is 70.
I would just be satisfied once I see Medusa and Isaac annouced and yes I will be maining both of them

It's health and sports day in Japan so Wii Fit Trainer was fairly easy to guess
That first comment just about sums up that 4chan post.

There is no Zeraora in Smash, if anything he might just pop out of a Pokeball.
Honestly, we only got a few more left coming. If we take those exact words, that means 3-5 should be expected. Maybe 6 total. Including Isabelle.

If it isn't 2 more after her(which is highly realistic), then maybe 2 or 3 more. However, it's not easy to figure out the base roster. Elma is possible for a 6th, but after Incineroar and Ken, you get 2 more. Steve? and Shadow certainly work well for base compared to DLC(which only Shadow would reasonably sell anyway).

I'm not expecting more than 2 left, and it's not just the box theory, but there's literally no reason to believe there's more even with the iffy Steve? rumors. Until he gets more weight other than being a legitimate possibility for base, there's nothing going for him beyond a rumor that doesn't even know if he's base or not.
Im expecting 12 more because Im confident that we are getting 12 more, whom will be the ones I mentioned.

Any leak without Medusa should be disregarded since she is definitely for sure in.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Um thats why its called Ultimate, so more characters then ever truly makes sense.
I always viewed the Ultimate part is it has every single playable character from all the previous games and a good majority of stages. Plus fan favorite newcomer selections like Ridley and K. Rool. There has to be a catch to this. And less base game newcomers just seems more likely to me.

It feels already pretty Ultimate to me right now. I don't think it necessarily needs 12 more to truly be ultimate.

TeamFlareZakk

I always viewed the Ultimate part is it has every single playable character from all the previous games and a good majority of stages. Plus fan favorite newcomer selections like Ridley and K. Rool. There has to be a catch to this. And less base game newcomers just seems more likely to me.

It feels already pretty Ultimate to me right now. I don't think it necessarily needs 12 more to truly be ultimate.
Just needs Medusa and it will truly be Ultimate to me.. Isaac too whom should of been playable in Brawl tbh.

More newcomers than ever would contradict Sakurai’s statement about there not being too many, though.
Duh, you should know that Sakurai is bluffing just to throw you off and think "oh so there is only a few characters left" when he knows there is more than you think.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's called Special in Japan. The game is made in Japan.

It has nothing to do with the idea of being Ultimate when created. it's just a really cool name for overseas.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Duh, you should know that Sakurai is bluffing just to throw you off and think "oh so there is only a few characters left" when he knows there is more than you think.
That’s a definite possibility. Another possibility is that he was telling the truth. We have no evidence either way.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Its called Ultimate.
https://www.smashbros.com/ja_JP/index.html The official Japanese name is Super Smash Bros. Special. It literally outright says it even in English on the JP website to make it clear.

Ultimate is a name used for other regions. It's a special game because it does more than the previous games. Including all vets.

Right now, we have zero real reason to believe we have more than a few left. 2-5 after Isabelle is about as big as we're going to get. Which is still a lot of characters overall. We have 9 now. That means 11 isn't all that bad when he wasn't trying to have a ton of characters that are new this time around. And at most, 14 wouldn't be that bad either. That's as many characters added to Melee, really. Again, a pretty decent amount.

TeamFlareZakk

That’s a definite possibility. Another possibility is that he was telling the truth. We have no evidence either way.
I would rather believe he is bluffing, again any leak that doesnt mention Medusa in Smash should be disregarded and I just so happen to see a few that included her that seemed highly credible with their character predictions.

https://www.smashbros.com/ja_JP/index.html The official Japanese name is Super Smash Bros. Special. It literally outright says it even in English on the JP website to make it clear.

Ultimate is a name used for other regions. It's a special game because it does more than the previous games. Including all vets.

Right now, we have zero real reason to believe we have more than a few left. 2-5 after Isabelle is about as big as we're going to get. Which is still a lot of characters overall. We have 9 now. That means 11 isn't all that bad when he wasn't trying to have a ton of characters that are new this time around. And at most, 14 wouldn't be that bad either. That's as many characters added to Melee, really. Again, a pretty decent amount.
I truly believe we are getting 14 more based off a new theory I came up with.. Two characters finish off that box and that card, but I noticed that if you count the characters horizontally you get 12 and so based off that we would get another row of 12 characters

Again, newcomers and echos I look forward to seeing are Incineroar, Skull Kid, Elma, Bandana Dee, Shadow, Isaac, Medusa, Black Knight, Black Shadow, Octoling, Dixie, Geno, Sora, Ken.. These are the elite 14

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I would rather believe he is bluffing, again any leak that doesnt mention Medusa in Smash should be disregarded and I just so happen to see a few that included her that seemed highly credible with their character predictions.
Gonna be honest here.
You sound pretty delusional right about now.

If you can't back up a claim with anything solid and are blindly believing things because you have a gut feeling, you're going to be disappointed.

TeamFlareZakk

Gonna be honest here.
You sound pretty delusional right about now.

If you can't back up a claim with anything solid and are blindly believing things because you have a gut feeling, you're going to be disappointed.
I am 100% confident in my claims, so look forward to seeing 14 more characters, look forward to Incineroar, Skull Kid, Elma, Bandana Dee, Shadow, Isaac, Medusa, Black Knight, Black Shadow, Octoling, Dixie, Geno, Sora, and Ken because I believe they are all in and you can believe that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I am 100% confident in my claims, so look forward to seeing 14 more characters, look forward to Incineroar, Skull Kid, Elma, Bandana Dee, Shadow, Isaac, Medusa, Black Knight, Black Shadow, Octoling, Dixie, Geno, Sora, and Ken because I believe they are all in and you can believe that.
...Do you really want to be this disappointed when very little of this happens?

You shouldn't realistically expect more than 5 characters left at this point. And that's being generous, since we have little reason to believe more than 2 are coming. In addition, you act like none of those could be DLC. Besides that, Octoling is about the only one on there other than Incineroar, Elma, Dixie, Shadow, and Ken who have a fairly good shot right now. Isaac is way too up in the air. Elma would fit the timing, but she's easy to ignore right now. Shadow at least makes a lot of sense for the same reason Ken does. Dixie is super easy to echo, even if it wouldn't perfectly fit her.

Medusa doesn't have the same kind of actual body, so can't be an echo. That hurts her severely. Black Knight seems like he won't work due to the armor, though I'm not sure that would really affect him being an echo if his main body is the same. I can't really say. Black Shadow is more people hoping he would take Ganondorf's 4 Moveset, but he could just as easily echo Falcon. He's also not super popular beyond the idea of "make Ganondorf unique and throw him in because apparently nobody likes Ganondorf punching" which obviously doesn't make sense as Ganondorf's moveset is quite popular. Geno and Sora both make a ton of sense as DLC, Sora even more. Skull Kid is severely overrated and isn't even the most popular Zelda choice. Impa is still more known than him, and it's mostly leaks trying to piggyback off of Loz's incorrect claims. He isn't that likely. All the so-called theories about him being in have proven to be a load of bull. The only thing even remotely going for him, is, gasp, lack of an AT. Just like Shadow. And many many others who are unlikely otherwise.

...Clearly I forgot one. Bandanna Waddle Dee isn't nearly as much of an All-Star as the rest of the main Kirby cast. He's making his way up there, though. So it could go either way, but he's no shoo-in.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
100%? Not even like, a solid 70%? There’s really no outcome in your mind where those 14 don’t get in?

Assume your theory is right and we get 14 more newcomers. What makes you believe, say, Black Knight will get in over Ninten, or Elma will get in over Chorus Kids? Even if you’re that confident in your number, what leads you to be so confident in your character selection?

You shouldn't realistically expect more than 5 characters left at this point. And that's being generous, since we have little reason to believe more than 2 are coming. In addition, you act like none of those could be DLC. Besides that, Octoling is about the only one on there other than Incineroar, Elma, Dixie, Shadow, and Ken who have a fairly good shot right now. Isaac is way too up in the air. Elma would fit the timing, but she's easy to ignore right now. Shadow at least makes a lot of sense for the same reason Ken does. Dixie is super easy to echo, even if it wouldn't perfectly fit her.

Medusa doesn't have the same kind of actual body, so can't be an echo. That hurts her severely. Black Knight seems like he won't work due to the armor, though I'm not sure that would really affect him being an echo if his main body is the same. I can't really say. Black Shadow is more people hoping he would take Ganondorf's 4 Moveset, but he could just as easily echo Falcon. He's also not super popular beyond the idea of "make Ganondorf unique and throw him in because apparently nobody likes Ganondorf punching" which obviously doesn't make sense as Ganondorf's moveset is quite popular. Geno and Sora both make a ton of sense as DLC, Sora even more. Skull Kid is severely overrated and isn't even the most popular Zelda choice. Impa is still more known than him, and it's mostly leaks trying to piggyback off of Loz's incorrect claims. He isn't that likely. All the so-called theories about him being in have proven to be a load of bull. The only thing even remotely going for him, is, gasp, lack of an AT. Just like Shadow. And many many others who are unlikely otherwise.
I like how you didn’t name any points against Bandanna Dee. B.D. for the win.

Last edited:

LEO142

Smash Rookie
Characters I would like to see:
Ninten from Earthbound Beginnings (echo fighter of ness/lucas etc.)
and uh
yeah

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Medusa doesn't have the same kind of actual body, so can't be an echo. That hurts her severely.
70: Medusa (As a semi-clone to Palutena)
71: Geno

or

71: Tails

With Geno announced as the first DLC character.

I can keep dreaming!!!!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
71: Geno

or

71: Tails

With Geno announced as the first DLC character.

I can keep dreaming!!!!
More realistically?

70: Steve?

Geno, Sora, and Isaac as the first DLC wave. That or replace Sora with Banjo & Kazooie. Second I could see Dixie, B&K, and maybe Tails. Tails seems very unlikely for base at this point. Echoes that actually work are more likely(Dixie could be base if we need just one more to have 14 newcomers).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
More realistically?

Geno, Sora, and Isaac as the first DLC wave. That or replace Sora with Banjo & Kazooie. Second I could see Dixie, B&K, and maybe Tails. Tails seems very unlikely for base at this point. Echoes that actually work are more likely(Dixie could be base if we need just one more to have 14 newcomers).
If true still hoping through DLC. Still dreaming!!!!

But all in seriousness though I'll be bummed if she, Banjo, Black Shadow and Elma don't make the cut base or DLC I ain't gonna complain as I'm still happy with what I got.

:ultkrool::ultridley:

That and this is Sakurai's game in the end so he can do what he wants.

Also I'll still be shipping :ultkrool:with Medusa regardless if she gets in or not.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

LOZ has had some credibility and has gotten many things right so.. And Verge needs to mention more characters than what he is implying.. I bet hes surely hiding like over 10 characters he knows about.

Medusa is definitely in, its a no brainer.. There is a villains theme going around and shes the villain to the game Sakurai himself worked on., Oh and besides a trophy, she is missing from action in Smash 4.

Oh and Medusa is part of the Kid Icarus main cast just as King Dedede is to the Kirby series.

I agree Isaac is up in the air.. But I came a long way now and will not give up, the Golden Sun must rise for the almighty Alex and Karst will have her revenge for her sister!

Ignore Elma? I would prefer to #GiveElmaAChance because its all about Elma. ( double checks.. Good, this time didnt mix her name up with Emma, lol )

Tbh, Black Knight and Black Shadow, I could do without tbh and I would say are the least likely.. Why? Well first off Captain Falcon is too cool to have any other F Zero reps added and we really dont need anymore Fire Emblem characters.. Maybe Black Knight is a boss or something.. He did have that Mii costume though.

Kolin ice punches Ken in the face.. KO! and says "you lose, you must have miscalculated".. And yes been squashing Ken nonstop with her in SFV, I am planning to bury Ken and make him a jobber in Smash just like I have him in SFV.

Tbh, if our new Zelda character is Impa over Skull Kid.. It would be too sweet, I kind of would like her better.. Skull Kid, I mostly always just wanted to punch him, make him a boss!

100%? Not even like, a solid 70%? There’s really no outcome in your mind where those 14 don’t get in?

Assume your theory is right and we get 14 more newcomers. What makes you believe, say, Black Knight will get in over Ninten, or Elma will get in over Chorus Kids? Even if you’re that confident in your number, what leads you to be so confident in your character selection?

I like how you didn’t name any points against Bandanna Dee. B.D. for the win.
Three Earthbound characters? Idk.. Especially when you consider the villain theme happening, you'd think if anything we'd see like Porky or Claus as a echo for Lucas to follow that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dude I'd love for it to be true but I'm not really confident it will be. I gotta agree with everyone else though I'm still hoping for Banjo, Black Shadow, Elma and Medusa.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If true still hoping through DLC. Still dreaming!!!!

But all in seriousness though I'll be bummed if she, Banjo, Black Shadow and Elma don't make the cut base or DLC I ain't gonna complain as I'm still happy with what I got.

:ultkrool::ultridley:

That and this is Sakurai's game in the end so he can do what he wants.
Elma is a sleeper choice. She is possible, but not as easy to say. Considering the Zelda series, which hasn't had a remotely new character since Brawl, and he's basically an upgraded Young Link, still isn't getting new blood(and may never at this point), just simply having a new game isn't enough. However, there's also factors like later options like Rex & Pyra to look at. Meaning that despite him being a possible DLC option(speaking of, I forgot Spring Man too among DLC, who is a given... though that could be a 3rd wave with an echo perhaps?), we don't know if Sakurai is just looking for one more character from Xenoblade Chronicles or not. He does make decisions like that. Sometimes he wants to keep it simple. Contrary to popular belief, he does something want something to fill a quota. Zero Suit Samus was literally this for Metroid in Brawl. He just wanted another Metroid character. That was it. She was the only realizable and easy enough option at the time(Ridley has been provenly harder to do, after all).

Another example is that Greninja was nothing more than "Pokemon from X & Y". He literally was a quota rep. Of course, if he didn't resonate with Sakurai well, we may have had no new Pokemon in 4. Then again, if that happened, we might've gotten Mewtwo as base due to more time being allowed to be spent on it. In that regard, we may have never gotten DLC either. So sometimes these things work better. Like, ultimately the only bad thing about DLC is some people didn't get who they want(vets included).

TeamFlareZakk

More realistically?

Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester 's seems more realistic because he has Medusa on his list.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well...
believe what you want.

Just don't get angry if it doesn't come to pass.
I'm done.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Dude...

Believe me I do want Medusa I really do but besides Ken and Incineroar no one is really a lock...
So tired of hearing about Ken.. The only thing I want to see Ken do is get beat up by my Street Fighter main Kolin over and over..

Going to downright say Chun Li, definitely a better choice... Or get somebody from Capcom's other thing Megaman as a echo instead, no I dont like Ken as you probably figured out.

I would rather go on the whole Sakurai bias and think Medusa is a lock as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom