• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I know. But for that reason if this video was recorded recently the leaker should have the possibility to play as Terry, if this video is true.

Also what Gentlepanda says is true. Geno and Doomslayer are recurring characters in leaks. That and the presence of Ken as the third character in the match, referencing his leak from the last year, makes me suspicious about it.
If so, he would have leaked his moveset or anything.

D

Deleted member

I know. But for that reason if this video was recorded recently the leaker should have the possibility to play as Terry, if this video is true.

Also what Gentlepanda says is true. Geno and Doomslayer are recurring characters in leaks. That and the presence of Ken as the third character in the match, referencing his leak from the last year, makes me suspicious about it.
Yeah, it is mostly a waiting game.

The leak has stuff going for it, but also stuff that could make one doubt it.

As usual, time will be the one who tells.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, it is mostly a waiting game.

The leak has stuff going for it, but also stuff that could make one doubt it.

As usual, time will be the one who tells.
Been a while but...thank you for the advice. Let's just see then.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
it's referencing the real ken leak and teasing (not showing) two characters who are thrown around almost 24/7 as "meme picks" on 4chan

it's playing to an extremely specific audience and that's what makes me think it's fake
Yeah that's the one thing that's making me kinda hesitant to fully support this leak. I know this sounds very superficial, but the fact that it's teasing Doomguy and Geno specifically makes me incredibly suspicious. Like if this person decided to show off, say, a Wesker and 9S costume, I wouldn't have that suspicion, but the fact that it's playing in to pretty much every fake 4Chan leak seems incredibly sus to me. I'm not writing it off as fake yet, but I wouldn't be shocked if we end up having another Grinch on our hands.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
... So. All it takes is for me to look away for one night while playing FFXIV and sleep, then a credible leak drops, huh? Guess I need to play that game more often, then.

Gotta say, I am very, very excited for this. I'm 50-50 on it being fake, but if it is, I can't even be mad, because it would be a really impressive mod, with all the details and such. Not to mention Shoryuken being nerfed, even. The last time I saw this much effort put into a fake leak was the Artsy Omni Rayman/Klonoa renders in Smash 4.

That said, just to offer a counterpoint to what some people have said: Mii Costumes don't necessarily imply fighters, sure, but we need to remember that Square Enix is the one company so far that ONLY gets Mii Costumes whenever a new fighter from their games joins the roster. So if not Geno, then a Mallow costume at least implies a Square character. And Bethesda has no content in Smash at all, meaning them getting just a Cacodemon hat would make little sense to me. So even if not Doomslayer, a costume from them could imply another Bethesda character. Could still not mean one, but I'd say the chances are low.

Geno is in my top 3, and I'd given up hope with his Spirit, but this would be huge for me. Don't really care about Slayer, but I respect Doom's legacy, so my reaction to him would be on par with Hero's.

What I'm wondering right now is: if real, what's their release order? Methinks Doomguy would be #5 and Geno would be sold separately, essentially the PP of the next season. Which is exciting either way to me.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

the speculation over ken's shoryuken is misinformation

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It's honestly questionable how much Joker even counts. He's a Japanese native character in a Japan-developed video game - I don't think the developers would exactly consider him an ethnic minority.
That's part of why it kind of sucks to me, pretty much every human save some Inkling and Villager alts and maybe Ganondorf are coded white or Japanese.
It's also why I'm not too torn up about the lack of women in Smash, because at least there's already a decent chunk of them already in. And I know someone's going to be triggered by me saying it, but I consider Banjo Kazooie to be a female representative as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sigh...

As much as I'm not getting sleep, I'm afraid I must.

I'm totally gonna have nightmares over this.

And I know someone's going to be triggered by me saying it, but I consider Banjo Kazooie to be a female representative as well
Nope, not considered.

Good night for you all...maybe nor for me.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

the speculation over ken's shoryuken is misinformation
This is going to be a wild ride.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Sigh...

As much as I'm not getting sleep, I'm afraid I must.

I'm totally gonna have nightmares over this.

Nope, not considered.

Good night for you all...maybe nor for me.
Hey at least your worried about most wanted thing of choice applies to a whole spectrum of video game characters far and wide, and not just a specific Nintendo franchise that already has representation in the base game (though, so did Geno).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
One thing, though: the shape of the hats looks a bit too much like the Toad hat (specifically how it looks in the Mii Brawler portrait) and Chain Chomp. That's one of the biggest reasons for me being split on whether it's true or not.

EDIT: I do believe that the Mallow mod hat from Smash 4 looks just a little bit different than the one in the footage, especially how it falls around the Mii's head and the cheeks seem more pronounced in the video.

Really don't know what to think rn.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Good morning,
I'm still intrigued by the possiility of DOOM, but I'm bummed all the same that we're not getting any PoC in this DLC set.
You do know Joker is Japanese right? As in, he's a Tokyo High School student and not just because he's anime.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gotta say, while I don't particularly like the implied results too much, its one of the best leaks we had in months.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Meh, I’ve got a gut feeling this is just an impressive fake. The main thing that bugs me is how the footage came to be. If it IS real, than who could have taken the footage other than an actual developer? If an actual Smash developer decided to break the biggest rule and share unrevealed content, why would they go for something as tame as Mii costumes?

It just doesn’t add up to me. If you have access to unrevealed Mii Fighters, you HAVE to have access to Terry at the very least, right? And you’re telling me they would pass up the opportunity to cement their leak as 100% legit and throw in Ken instead, as a silly gag reference? I don’t buy it.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
https://gamebanana.com/skins/173050

Apparently there already exists a Mii hat Mallow mod for Smash 4. This makes me wonder if mods from Smash 4 can be imported to Ultimate.
This mod was made after the pictures, not before.

That being said, it proves that making a Mallow model would probably be a fairly effortless endeavor since this came out only hours after the pictures. I'm also interested if anyone's entertained the possibility that if someone did fake this, they just modded the Mii model outright rather than just modding the hat. I'm no expert but that seems like a way to get around it if Mii Costume modding is that difficult.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I mean we did get a Sans costume but no playable Frisk, so...
Yeah but Sans was the standout for an Undertale character in smash just due to his popularity while Cacodemon or Mallow would probably not make it over Doom Slayer and Geno respectively

blackghost

Smash Champion
Fine, fine, fine.

Sigh...Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Tekken, anything else?
i wouldnt hold my breathe on this new guilty gear.

also my unpopular opinion is that geno is the most overhyped potential DLC character i've ever seen. i do not undertsand why he has this massive fanbase based on one game, yet when i look up greatest rpg games and Jrpg games and character he's never listed. geno getting in would be a huge disappointment and further catering to loud online fans. these are the same people that got salty when a dragon quest character (top 3 rpg ever) got in. ever DLC character in smash history has been a main character of a major 3rd party franchise, geno doesnt fit.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

also my unpopular opinion is that geno is the most overhyped potential DLC character i've ever seen. i do not undertsand why he has this massive fanbase based on one game, yet when i look up greatest rpg games and Jrpg games and character he's never listed. geno getting in would be a huge disappointment and further catering to loud online fans. these are the same people that got salty when a dragon quest character (top 3 rpg ever) got in. ever DLC character in smash history has been a main character of a major 3rd party franchise, geno doesnt fit.
Geno's been a character that Sakurai's explicitly stated that he's wanted to include since Brawl. His design and powers really stand out among the Mario cast (and even among the party members in the Mario RPG games), and Mario RPG was a great game that never got a proper follow-up. Since Geno is owned by Square-Enix, something like Smash is literally one of the few times that he can possibly make an appearance, seeing as Square-Enix didn't choose to use him for their Mario crossovers like Fortune Street or their Mario sports games.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Not a huge fan of the results if this ends up true, but it does strike me as odd that this implies these costumes are with Terry. I highly doubt we'd get Mii costumes before fighter reveals, so unless we're getting 3 character releases this month (ha ha, no) I'd say this would actually put Doom and Geno in hot water.

As others have said as well, it feels super cheeky. It straight up references the Ken leak, and also just so happens to pick the two biggest names that have been floating around all year. Currently 50/50 on it, and if it is real, gotta assume it's the Terry build, and if so it's strange he isn't in the footage.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
That being said, it proves that making a Mallow model would probably be a fairly effortless endeavor since this came out only hours after the pictures. I'm also interested if anyone's entertained the possibility that if someone did fake this, they just modded the Mii model outright rather than just modding the hat. I'm no expert but that seems like a way to get around it if Mii Costume modding is that difficult.
That's... a clever way to get around Mii modding. If there's someone who can test this hypothesis out then we'll know if this has been faked or not. If Mii Costume modding really hasn't gotten a breakthrough then this trick can do the job instead.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Corrin isn't 3rd party.

The same goes for Plant if we count him.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What’s up everybody, how are y’all- CACODEMON HAT!!!

*flashback mode

“That Shulk real looks fake”
“Ken is photoshopped, they conveniently left his mugshot hidden”
“Grinch leak is totally real, guys!”

*flashback ends

... um.. *cough* yeah, this leak is definitely fake. There’s no way SMRPG and Doom content is in the game. :p Leak faker clearly wants to troll us with the same Ken taunt as the Ken leak. I know I’ve been wrong 3 times before, but this is clearly made to troll people and bring hopes ups.

*waits in Doomguy

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
time will tell if this becomes another copypasta like the old classic

If this leak is fake, then the guy who made it has to be the craziest person in the world going out of their way to make incredibly boring cardboard cut-out models using promotional material from the upcoming Grinch movie because he's thinking 47 steps ahead and knows that both Bandai-Namco and Universal studios contract the same obscure French marketing company. To this end, he then got himself an office, printed out the name of an employee of said company, and haphazardly half blurred out the name because, once again, he's some kind of super genius beyond the mental capacities of mortal man and he knew that the internet's crack team of cybersleuths would find his red-herring name in seconds.

This absolute Einstein of social engineering also happens to moonlight as an expert artist and after presumably spending hours carefully cutting and pasting characters from the Smash poster, he then went out of his way to produce 7 more drawings of his own with obscure elements like vines for Isaac that hardly anyone would be able to make out, and then, for the fun of it, he saw to making a completely unique drawing of the blank version of Battlefield just because he could. He made sure that this fake roster of his perfectly mirrored one posted on 4chan last month by someone whose first language clearly isn't English because he knew that people would immediately make the connection to the French marketing company that he is pretending produced this image. The fact that 5 new characters lines up with the 5 missing stages from Corocoro was all part of his master plan. He also made sure this coincided with Nintendo renewing relevant trademarks.

The lengths you have to go to believe that this is all an incredibly elaborate leak would make this man one of the most intelligent people to ever walk the Earth. This guy would be more competent than the entire government of Saudi Arabia when it comes to fakery.

I suggest you think about which outcome is more likely.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Good to see that I didn't miss much. I'll be keeping a keen eye on what's happening here, but the only thing that will quell it all at this point is the reveal. It's gonna be a long November if nothing happens this week...

Hm, It seems possible that whoever leaked these screenshots and videos knew this. So they made the video on two upcoming Mii head costumes to enforce the possibility of it being real.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
"Our side of the fanbase" as in people that prefer playing female characters for whatever reason, and I'm a guy. You can call it "boycotting" or whatever you want, but I'm not going to buy something that I don't like. What's most ridiculous of all is you trying to tell me and others how to feel and how to think. You may be happy with anything, you may feel privileged of the current roster, great. But that doesn't mean everyone else is or has to be.
Privileged. As long as you continue to have that word in your lexicon and blame it for the problems you face, you will continue to be unsatisfied with the roster (and your life). I promise that.

I truly mean no ill, I only mean to have good, productive conversations. And if I feel like I can improve someone's life in any way, especially with words, I have an obligation to say something, even if that thing is actually wrong (in which case time and people will correct me). And when it comes to my favorite game of all time, I'm definitely going to share my thoughts. But that's the joy of this thread, isn't it? I'm entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
I also find it hilarious that Ken Masters can't go a full year without leaking something. Curse you Ken!

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
The leak is credible enough to consider at least, I'm leaning towards real myself. The only question is what the implications are, since Doom Slayer and Geno could as easily be implemented as mere Mii costumes themselves. A Mii Gunner Doom Slayer seems plausible, though I'm sure it would disappoint a bunch of people. And obviously they can't both be Fighter #5, but it could also be neither. If only this was a leak of the actual fighters rather than Mii costumes that only seem to imply stuff rather than confirm..

I just want Nintendo to announce something already, but we may have to be patient for that one.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
time will tell if this becomes another copypasta like the old classic
This is the “You have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty” of Smash speculation and yet I distinctly remember nodding along to every word in the post. Good times.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Imagine the chaos if Terry's showcase doesn't have these two costumes.
But then that would mean they'd be saved for later, further supporting the case for Playable Doom Guy and Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom