• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
But then that would mean they'd be saved for later, further supporting the case for Playable Doom Guy and Geno.
It would be interesting if that were the case.

Although, it would also add a layer of sketchiness to the leak, as we still need to wonder why the leaker chose Mii costumes of all things to show. Why not actually show Geno or Doom Guy? Or at least Terry.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Although, it would also add a layer of sketchiness to the leak, as we still need to wonder why the leaker chose Mii costumes of all things to show. Why not actually show Geno or Doom Guy? Or at least Terry.
Could be a number of reasons. Just their choice? A subtle way to show Doom Guy and Geno are on their way? Maybe Mii costumes aren't as important to Nintendo as characters? Who knows?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

To cause chaos, naturally.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I see your point. But:
You can't move the goalposts like that and switch from America's standards to Japan's.

I do think there needs to be more varied skintones that aren't just alts but you can't use a term that means non-Caucasians and then say an Asian character doesn't count.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

because it's an easy way of teasing the inclusion of fan favourites without actually having to model and animate new characters for your leak

Untouch

Smash Master
Imagine the chaos if Terry's showcase doesn't have these two costumes.
I doubt they will, if this footage was taken recently it probably isn't for Terry's pack. Everything released with Terry is very likely already finished.

MooMew64

because it's an easy way of teasing the inclusion of fan favourites without actually having to model and animate new characters for your leak
See, this is kiiiiinda what I'm leaning towards, but I also gotta be honest and say I'm biased in this conversation because I outright dislike DOOM and have 0 nostalgia or want for Geno personally. It's easy for me to be dismissive when it isn't something I want, lol.

Given what people in the modding community have said, though, I'm still 50/50. Terry's showcase will probably be what pushes me over one way or the other.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm normally very skeptical of leaks, but we've got video evidence on this one, and if modders say it's not really possible to recreate, the only possible explanation for a fake becomes that somebody has figured something out and not yet shared it with the wider community. This is still very possible, of course, but increasingly unlikely compared to just being a genuine leak. With that said, even if it's real, I don't think this in any way confirms any character inclusions - if costumes did, we'd have Frisk and Mega Man X, for one.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
there's speculation that the entire mii head was model-swapped out for a stand-in wearing the hat as opposed to having to deal with all the difficulties of importing a standard hat and i can believe that

D

Deleted member

there's speculation that the entire mii head was model-swapped out for a stand-in wearing the hat as opposed to having to deal with all the difficulties of importing a standard hat and i can believe that
I could also believe that, ngl.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
GameXplain seems to think that the leak is probably fake, at least that's what I read on Twitter. I didn't check his video.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I usually hate questions like this, but there's been 13 pages since last night.

Has there been anything interesting discussed (like fun questions) other than the hats?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You can't move the goalposts like that and switch from America's standards to Japan's.

I do think there needs to be more varied skintones that aren't just alts but you can't use a term that means non-Caucasians and then say an Asian character doesn't count.
You know who I meant from the beginning, I never moved any goalposts to try pushing an agenda.
If you're being pedantic about me misusing a term, then yes, I want more black people, of which is in sorely short supply compared to the number of white and Japanese-coded characters. Happy?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Seems plausible to me, but I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about Ultimate modding. Does anyone in that community think this could be the case?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Between the timer discrepancy, the cheekiness of it all, the clear references to the Ken Leak, and the strangeness of not showing off Terry or the KOF Arena, plus the bizarre timing of having this costumes presumably available for release around Terry, I'm having to lean fake. I think the Mii head model swap theory is pretty plausible.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Sakurai: The person responsible for will recieve harsh punishment.

Also Sakurai: "Ken Masters, you are hereby kicked out of smash."

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
This seems more believable of a leak though this would also mean eihter Doom Slayer or Geno are post pass DLC, which I can see them reveal. Though I am getting slight flashbacks of the Rayman "leak" in SSB4 though this seems harder to pull off.

When it comes to leaks, I always have at least some amount of skepticism when it comes to leaks due to how well crafted some of them can be. I'll remain on the fence until Terry comes out.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Sakurai: The person responsible for will recieve harsh punishment.

Also Sakurai: "Ken Masters, you are hereby kicked out of smash."
*Ken puts on a hat and walks back in*

TBH if Bethesda's gettin' anyone it should be Dovahkiin IMO.

I wanna Fus Ro Dah people off-stage. Also that 10/10 Skyrim music.
Eh... About the only thing that would interest me at all out of Bethesda's catalogue would probably be Commander Keen, and only if it were classic Keene.
Needless to say, I'm not expecting to have a good time if they actually get on board...

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
GameXplain seems to think that the leak is probably fake, at least that's what I read on Twitter. I didn't check his video.
He said in paraphrase: "I think it's fake, first off it's modeled after the original leak that leaked Ken so that's suspicious, Modding is a thing, and it's two popular franchises."

The exact same thing everyone has been saying.

Last edited:

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Do the positions of the Miis on the HUD line up perfectly with the current in-game HUD? I mean that's one way to check if it's real. Also, its a bit coincidental that the leaker chose Mii Brawler and Mii Gunner since you could easily spell out their names (which are not there by default, mind you since you can't submit a Mii without naming it) when customizing them but there are not enough characters to spell out ”Mii SWORDFIGHTER”. Also, I'm grasping at straws here if you can't tell and I'm probably not making a cohesive point.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
You know who I meant from the beginning, I never moved any goalposts to try pushing an agenda.
If you're being pedantic about me misusing a term, then yes, I want more black people, of which is in sorely short supply compared to the number of white and Japanese-coded characters. Happy?
The problem is, in terms of viable characters for inclusion based off of the appropriate popularity for third parties, Nintendo successes or what have you, does there happen to be a good amount of characters that happen to be black to work with? If not, then at least with third parties (which apparently might be all DLC characters with not a single first party according to people lol), that's not really anyone on Nintendo's part's fault.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah, the fact that this directly references the prior Ken leak screams of an ego wanting to leave a thumbprint to show off how clever they are.
For the record, even if it's true, I'm still subscribed to the idea that Geno is just a costume since we have yet to see any characters promoted from Spirits.

MooMew64

That's actually a fair point. We have yet to see anyone from WoL's spirit list be made into a DLC fighter.

Not saying that I'm completely onboard with the mentality they're AT-like deconfirms, but it is definitely food for thought.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm leaning more towards real but that doesn't mean I don't have my reservations. I don't think it's fake, from the video evidence being near perfect aside from the weird timer, the statement from modders about the difficulty of Mii Hats, but it's implications are also not subtle and hint directly towards two huge characters for the Smash Community, not only that but if these hats ARE real it doesn't necessarily confirm those two gigantic characters as playable even though it is implied.

Keep your hype in check guys. Let's just wait on a statement from Verge or something.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, the fact that this directly references the prior Ken leak screams of an ego wanting to leave a thumbprint to show off how clever they are.
For the record, even if it's true, I'm still subscribed to the idea that Geno is just a costume since we have yet to see any characters promoted from Spirits.
If I was going to leak something, even if it was legit, I might well choose to reference an earlier leak just to mess with people. I don't think that the callback to the Ken leak proves anything either way.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Do the positions of the Miis on the HUD line up perfectly with the current in-game HUD? I mean that's one way to check if it's real. Also, its a bit coincidental that the leaker chose Mii Brawler and Mii Gunner since you could easily spell out their names (which are not there by default, mind you since you can't submit a Mii without naming it) when customizing them but there are not enough characters to spell out ”Mii SWORDFIGHTER”. Also, I'm grasping at straws here if you can't tell and I'm probably not making a cohesive point.
This is a VERY interesting point. I'm gonna chalk this one up as another potentially suspicious point against.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's actually a fair point. We have yet to see anyone from WoL's spirit list be made into a DLC fighter.

Not saying that I'm completely onboard with the mentality they're AT-like deconfirms, but it is definitely food for thought.
Your opinion on anyone from the Spirit list NOT in WoL? (Examples are Black Shadow, Elma though her Spirit is first available through a WoL challenge, etc)

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The problem is, in terms of viable characters for inclusion based off of the appropriate popularity for third parties, Nintendo successes or what have you, does there happen to be a good amount of characters that happen to be black to work with? If not, then at least with third parties (which apparently might be all DLC characters with not a single first party according to people lol), that's not really anyone on Nintendo's part's fault.
Off the top of my head, Claude's currently my most-wanted Fire Emblem character. There's also Elma from Xenoblade X, Urbosa from BotW and Marina from Splatoon.
Yes, the representation problem isn't squarely on Nintendo's shoulders and is a problem with the gaming industry as a whole, but I still feel I have the right to be disappointed.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
the weirdness of someone unlocking geno in WOL then fighting geno's spirit (most likely with the exact same art as the fighter spirit because he doesn't have another render) is why i'm skeptical of spirit upgrades full stop

MooMew64

Your opinion on anyone from the Spirit list NOT in WoL? (Examples are Black Shadow, Elma though her Spirit is first available through a WoL challenge, etc)
What makes me personally doubt spirits are deconfirms in the first place is the fact that we have alternate forms of characters in as spirits alongside their playable counterparts. That said, you could also make a case for saying it's because they're alternate versions. Biggest problem with making assumptions about spirits is we really don't know all that well how Sakurai and co. feel about them the same way we know how they treat the assists and Mii costumes.

I'd say spirit promotion is more likely than AT promotion (which pains me, as Waluigi is a top 3 choice for me). If first parties are included in this game's DLC, I'd say Elma has a fair shot given XB2 was unfortunately given a hard pass along with ARMS and the recent demand for a XBCX port on Switch shows there's still interest for the character from fans.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
the weirdness of someone unlocking geno in WOL then fighting geno's spirit (most likely with the exact same art as the fighter spirit because he doesn't have another render) is why i'm skeptical of spirit upgrades full stop
They could just rename Geno’s WoL Spirit to “Geno (Super Mario RPG)” as SMRPG is where the spirit’s artwork comes from

and they could pull a Cloud with Geno’s potential fighter spirit and just use his actual fighter render

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I don't really have a horse in this race since I'm not that interest in either character but all things considered this is pretty convincing

Granted they could just do to him what they did with Cloud and just not give him his original artwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom