• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Because I care about the game. I care about it. It led me to a successful life here. And it is also Smash that gave me my feminist views.

I don't like it. I hate it. I'm beyond disappointed. How could they leave women out like this?
Lot's of reasons as to why these 5 dlc fighters were pick over any female character or really any other character that didn't make the cut in general.

Heavily requested like Banjo and possibly Doom Slayer and Geno.

Bringing in new characters from other major publishers like Atlus, Microsoft, and SNK. All of whom have a great relationship with Nintendo. First of which releases most of their games on Nintendo hardware.

Bring in old school icons like Hero (some of his alts), Terry, Banjo and Doom Slayer.

Bringing in popular modern Japanese characters like Joker

Bringing series that arguably more important to gaming then Smash like Dragon Quest and Doom.

Help sell more copies of Smash and Switch consoles by having all of the DLC fighters be from different companies and series to sell to fans of said company/series

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I think that't honestly just a change made overtime. Remember, Sakurai fully admitted during Hero's demonstration that he was using a development build to showcase him, and the timer there is the same as ever.

View attachment 244890
sure, but this is a standard timed match he was using to demonstrate hero in a fight, so it was set from the start to just 2 minutes
the demonstration of his moves had no timer at all

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I would like to see more female fighters too but I also want DLC choices to be based on character merits and for me, gender isn't something that contributes to that, it just runs parallel.

I'd rather see all games start having more prominent females because I think that's where the real issue is.
the frozen 'debug' timer in the new leak strikes me as weird compared to the old ken leak

View attachment 244889

original debug timer is set to account for all 99 minutes so it can be set to any point whenever the developer wants, while the new leak almost seems to have missed this detail and has gone for a timer that would only scale up to 9 minutes

there's a lot going for the leak but i don't believe it yet -- too trolly/grinch-leak baity and too much riding on an older leak's coattails for comfort
Different builds?

D

Deleted member

Lot's of reasons as to why these 5 dlc fighters were pick over any female character or really any other character that didn't make the cut in general.

Heavily requested like Banjo and possibly Doom Slayer and Geno.

Bringing in new characters from other major publishers like Atlus, Microsoft, and SNK. All of whom have a great relationship with Nintendo. First of which releases most of their games on Nintendo hardware.

Bring in old school icons like Hero (some of his alts), Terry, Banjo and Doom Slayer.

Bringing in popular modern Japanese characters like Joker

Bringing series that arguably more important to gaming then Smash like Dragon Quest and Doom.

Help sell more copies of Smash and Switch consoles by having all of the DLC fighters be from different companies and series to sell to fans of said company/series
I know, but it doesn't feel right that they're left out.

We got Bayonetta in Smash 4 and that satisfied me. Now?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Lesley, I don't begrudge you for being angry if this hoax turns out to be a real leak, as I similarly would have liked to see more women in the pass. I made my displeasure with the absence of the female alts for The Hero known the day the character's page went up on the official site and we confirmed that they only got recolors of the four male heroes we saw in the trailer. I was bummed, a friend of mine MUCH more so.

It's sad, and it's valid to feel disappointed. But we still don't know, if this is real, whether any of the post pass characters will be female, and they could be. And if they're not...that will be a huge disappointment.

However, when it comes to a video game meeting our expectations, it's important to take disappointment in stride. To deal with it in a healthy way. When it turned out The Hero didn't have any female alts, I sighed, sat in my room in a while, then said "You know what? Even if Smash didn't represent Dragon Quest in quite the way I would have liked it to, I still love Dragon Quest."

So I threw myself back into Dragon Quest VII on 3DS, which I was in the middle of playing anyway. I marathoned the game for 10 days straight whenever I had free time (it was summer break, so luckily, I had loads) and managed to beat it before returning to this website. By the time I came back, I was still sad, but I had dealt with most of my disappointment enough to be able to post and speculate like I used to.

I don't know if marathoning a game you like is a good solution for you or not. It's just a suggestion. But the crux of this post is that Smash can disappoint you. It's natural, but just because Smash can seem to position itself as the greatest crossover in all of video games, it doesn't mean it will meet all of your expectations. It can be seemingly arbitrary how it doesn't meet some of your expectations, which can be frustrating, whether that's wanting more female characters to better represent that part of video games or wanting a character included in Smash a specific way and being disappointed when you feel some part of that character is wrong or missing.

When that happens, remember that, since Smash can't (or sometimes, won't) be the most thorough crossover in video games, that you don't need Smash to validate any part of your love for video games that it hasn't already, whether that's the original JRPG series, a long lost Nintendo character who switched companies, an action game heroine who some may say is too risque, or wanting Mewtwo back. Just because Smash has included all that now doesn't mean that, if Smash NEVER included them, that your love for Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, Bayonetta, or Mewtwo wouldn't be valid.

So if this news (which we can't be 100% positive is real anyway) makes you upset, try going back to a video game you wholeheartedly love. Get back into a series you were enjoying, and remember that if Smash doesn't include any part of them, then it doesn't make your love for them invalid.

...that said, if none of that helps, then please, like others have been saying, talk to a loved one or someone you can trust for help. Being this upset, while understandable, isn't a healthy way to cope.

P.S. I wrote most of this post without clearly looking at one of your posts, where you implied being suicidal about this news.

Please, if you genuinely feel that serious, the single best thing to do, right now, is to please get help. To take a break from Smash speculation and talk to someone who can hook you up with a professional. I can't say I know how to deal with feelings that intense, so just know that I am wishing and hoping you get help as soon as possible for your own benefit.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
MY thoughts are simply this.

I think the hats are real, but I don't think it implies what everyone seems to think. We have zero context to this so don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Shroob

Sup?

I think the hats are real, but I don't think it implies what everyone seems to think. We have zero context to this so don't count your chickens before they hatch.
Pretty much.

It could be future content, but they could also drop with Terry as a "Doom Eternal was meant to come this month, so here's a hat to celebrate it."

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
This was changed once the game came out.
i'll need proof of that because as far as i'm aware there's no way to change a timer from, say, 9 minutes to 10 minutes mid-match

that's what i'm talking about--the debug mode's need to account for the possibility of the time going up from single digits to double digits

D

Deleted member

There's always season 2. Plenty of time left.
Had you not post that list of yours, I WOULD STILL HAVE HOPE.

I don't believe in that there's much time. I won't be able to catch up with Smash due to my responsibilities.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
The make or break evidence for me is that video. Depending if Nintendo takes down copies of the video or other videos that contain that footage, then its real. If not and they do nothing then I am leaning towards it being BS.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Found another one of those 4chan leaks.
This time, it’s Mii Hats (4chan warning)

Mii hats that could be added appear to be:
Mallow
Cacodemon (Doom)
I’m honestly leaning fake on this one.
Looks pretty convincing but the Grinch Leak taught me that no matter how well put together a leak may be, it can always turn out to be fake. I'm weighing my options here until Terry gets released.

The video is one thing going for the leak, just like the ESRB leaked footage from Smash 4 and characters can be in development for quite a long time so if these Mii costumes are real, they may either be saved for later for when the playable characters of those series show up or they might just show up for Terry.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

If these hats are real but they drop with Terry, I'm not going to know what to think.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Because I care about the game. I care about it. It led me to a successful life here. And it is also Smash that gave me my feminist views.

I don't like it. I hate it. I'm beyond disappointed. How could they leave women out like this?
I think you should take a step back and CALM DOWN, focus on something other then feminism for once cause it’s eating you apart

I don't believe in that there's much time. I won't be able to catch up with Smash due to my responsibilities.
STOP BLAMING PEOPLE FOR NOT FORCING FEMALES INTO THEIR LISTS

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice

Why his list specifically? Plenty of people posted wishlists on here that cover similar characters or realistic additions.

The make or break evidence for me is that video. Depending if Nintendo takes copies of the video or other videos that contain that footage, then its real. If not and they do nothing then I am leaning towards it being BS.
Do we know if Nintendo was taking down videos that contained the original Ken leak from last year? Music flagging is one thing but I find it hard to believe that Nintendo can scour all of Youtube to find potential image/video leaks to remove. If there is some previous evidence showing they have done that before, I would be a bit more open to believe it.

D

Deleted member

I think you should take a step back and CALM DOWN, focus on something other then feminism for once cause it’s eating you apart

STOP BLAMING PEOPLE FOR NOT FORCING FEMALES INTO THEIR LISTS
You think feminism is bad for me? It's what I chose. It's the path I desired. It's what I wanted.

That's...too harsh...for just a simple request of a female.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
What did he say? I don't feel like opening YouTube on the matter.
. . .You could just read what I wrote literally just below that video. I already summarized it.

The make or break evidence for me is that video. Depending if Nintendo takes down copies of the video or other videos that contain that footage, then its real. If not and they do nothing then I am leaning towards it being BS.
That seems to be the safest bet. Nintendo did nothing about the Grinch leak, and see how that turned out. Though to be entirely sure, we'd need to make sure that the YT-uploads of these videos actually spread.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Im hoping either the Doomguy or Geno fans get what they want, but honestly I think it is just, more mii costumes unrelated to a fighter. Like, the entire set of Banjo costumes were weird, not even counting Sans. Heck, the Joker mii fighter had Sonic characters in it. Could be the same situation again, or it could actually be one of those characters. Either way, it seems like we will be finding out soon.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Im hoping either the Doomguy or Geno fans get what they want, but honestly I think it is just, more mii costumes unrelated to a fighter. Like, the entire set of Banjo costumes were weird, not even counting Sans. Heck, the Joker mii fighter had Sonic characters in it. Could be the same situation again, or it could actually be one of those characters. Either way, it seems like we will be finding out soon.
That and we don't know when those mii fighters will drop if this is legit. Could be with Terry, could be with FP5, hell it could be with one of the post pass characters.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Sega owns Atlus, that was a large reason as to why they came along side Joker and the Persona Mii costumes.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Do we know if Nintendo was taking down videos that contained the original Ken leak from last year? Music flagging is one thing but I find it hard to believe that Nintendo can scour all of Youtube to find potential image/video leaks to remove. If there is some previous evidence showing they have done that before, I would be a bit more open to believe it.
They didn't take down the Ken leak photos, but that was much harder to take down if it was a video I believe. However they did take the gameplay footage of the Smash 4 ESBR leaks within hours of it being up on Youtube.

Shroob

Sup?
They didn't take down the Ken leak photos, but that was much harder to take down if it was a video I believe. However they did take the gameplay footage of the Smash 4 ESBR leaks within hours of it being up on Youtube.
The main issue I have with this is that was 2014 Nintendo.

2019 Nintendo is a different beast when it comes to copyright on their videos.

WeirdSandwich

Smash Cadet

Theres an unspecified number of future DLC characters post this fighters pack, so there's essentially unlimited time left. At least until the next smash game.

I'm confident there will be at least one female DLC fighter incoming. Smash has been getting better with female reps as the series goes on, though like others have said there's a bigger problem with less women main characters in video games in general.

Don't forget that recently there's been some evidence towards KOS-MOS and Reimu, and I think Jill Valentine still has a good chance. There s no reason to count anyone out yet.

D

Deleted member

Theres an unspecified number of future DLC characters post this fighters pack, so there's essentially unlimited time left. At least until the next smash game.

I'm confident there will be at least one female DLC fighter incoming. Smash has been getting better with female reps as the series goes on, though like others have said there's a bigger problem with less women main characters in video games in general.

Don't forget that recently there's been some evidence towards KOS-MOS and Reimu, and I think Jill Valentine still has a good chance. There s no reason to count anyone out yet.
I'm just acting now because I won't be able to truly experience Smash at the fullest in later years.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
The main issue I have with this is that was 2014 Nintendo.

2019 Nintendo is a different beast when it comes to copyright on their videos.
Not really, they ****ing take down videos that are straight up music rips during this past summer. Trust me it was a pain to find most of Three Houses soundtrack for a good month or two on Youtube.

Hell it was titles for this video exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozW5WJQGJuA&t=15493s

Folt

Smash Ace
The Smash Ultimate dlc has not been inclusive at all as far as female characters go. It’s about things to look forward to, and there’s very clearly certain types of players being left behind in regards to that at present time.
If all you care about in a character is for them to be inclusive to so-and-so, then I question whether or not your heart is actually in it in the first place. I'm all for someone wanting whoever to be in if they think they would bring in something cool to the game (whether a gimmick, a cool moveset that looks awesome to play as, they just fit in really well, etc.) but wanting someone in just for the sake of it leads into ways of thinking that are unhealthy for everyone.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Eh... I don't generally buy into leaks (good or bad) anymore, so I'll just wait to see what is officially announced before being actively disappointed at this point.

If it does turn out to be true though, I'll just go back to dreaming about a SEGA Smash Bros.
Or some kind of iDOLM@STER brawler. That could be fun.

Shroob

Sup?
Not really, they ****ing take down videos that are straight up music rips during this past summer. Trust me it was a pain to find most of Three Houses soundtrack for a good month or two on Youtube.

Hell it was titles for this video exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozW5WJQGJuA&t=15493s
I mean music rips are understandable, I moreso for actual gameplay videos. Pretty sure that the OG video leaks weren't taken down because they were leaks, they were taken down because the bots recognized gameplay of an unreleased game.

D

Deleted member

Eh... I don't generally buy into leaks (good or bad) anymore, so I'll just wait to see what is officially announced before being actively disappointed at this point.

If it does turn out to be true though, I'll just go back to dreaming about a SEGA Smash Bros.
Or some kind of iDOLM@STER brawler. That could be fun.
I'm beyond disappointed.

Not even those two can help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom