• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Right..
The ballot...

Eh might as well not open that can of worms...
Weeeeeeeeell...
I do have a little mini theory concerning the ballot.
Sakurai said explicitly that Bayonetta was the #1 pick in Europe, no "among realizable characters" like he said was the case worldwide.
So Europe got their pick.
Japan got their pick with Hero.
Banjo-Kazooie was very possibly the #1 pick in North America. He was MY pick as North American.
Terry confused me at first, but after looking into him, I found that he was extremely popular in Latin America, so he was probably the most popular pick there.

See where I'm going?

That really only leaves Australia and Africa as far as regional picks go.
To my knowledge, gaming isn't exactly mainstream in Africa, but I could be wrong.

So going by this "Region Theory", Australia may be where we should be looking for Fighter 5.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Weeeeeeeeell...
Sakurai said explicitly that Bayonetta was the #1 pick in Europe, no "among realizable characters" like he said was the case worldwide.
Banjo-Kazooie was very possibly the #1 pick in North America. He was MY pick as North American.
Terry confused me at first, but after looking into him, I found that he was extremely popular in Latin America, so he was probably the most popular pick there.

See where I'm going?

To my knowledge, gaming isn't exactly mainstream in Africa, but I could be wrong.

So going by this "Region Theory", Australia may be where we should be looking for Fighter 5.
Trying to figure out what the Australians are most into is difficult because I doubt they have their own distinct favorite out of the bunch. Or you could try to argue Crash since bandicoots are native in Australia, but at that point you're playing 4D Chess.

Continent Theory kinda sucks, IMO.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Weeeeeeeeell...

See where I'm going?

With that being taken into consideration, an Australian pick would be quite confusing. This is coming from the same region that got a K.Rool victory at a tournament, and also home to the tournament region that banned Hero. Though I'm doubtful, since a lot of Australian gaming was influenced by Americans and Europeans, hence, most of their picks would probably be their picks as well.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Trying to figure out what the Australians are most into is difficult because I doubt they have their own distinct favorite out of the bunch.

Or you could try to argue Crash since bandicoots are native in Australia, but at that point you're playing 4D Chess.
Better than what I had (Drawn Together hero)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
With that being taken into consideration, an Australian pick would be quite confusing. This is coming from the same region that got a K.Rool victory at a tournament, and also home to the tournament region that banned Hero. Though I'm doubtful, since a lot of Australian gaming was influenced by Americans and Europeans, hence, most of their picks would probably be their picks as well.
Nah, I doubt the Australians are gonna want a hardcore American western pick.

IIRC Australia likes to ban any Rockstar game that looks twice in its general direction.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Weeeeeeeeell...

See where I'm going?

Why would a character from a previous game count toward a European pick for Ultimate?
Wouldn't Little Mac count as a US pick as well then?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Americans liked Bayonetta, but apparently Europeans liked her more.
Guess we'd have to hold Australia-specific polls to figure it out, but it seems like we're gonna know Fighter 5 any day now, so it's better to just wait it out.

D

Deleted member

IIRC Australia likes to ban any Rockstar game that looks twice in its general direction.
And that's where the weirdness happens. I'm super-not familiar with the Australian gaming scene, so I assume that any of their picks will also be top picks by Westerners and stuff.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Weeeeeeeeell...

See where I'm going?

The fact that this is between games and also lacks all of the basegame characters for ultimate, plant and joker means I wouldn't take it too seriously

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
It was in one scene in one state that banned Hero, how many times do I gotta say it man...

IMG_20181115_064901.jpg

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

As someone who lives in said region, the general consensus I've seen is that whatever's popular in NA is a popular pick here too.

I don't think I've seen/heard a popular request from people here that wasn't a popular pick in NA (I.e K.Rool, Ridley, Banjo, Crash, etc)

Idk about Geno now that I think about it tho lol

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Someone from Tekken - Although there are plenty of other of Bandai Namco based reps that do deserve to be represented in Smash, the Tekken series is something that I would really like to see in Smash.

Heihachi Mishima would obviously be the ideal candidate since he is an iconic antagonist in the series slthough there is the likes of Jin Kazama, Kazuya Mishima, Nina Williams, Alisa Bosconovitch, Lili Rochefort, King, Yoshimitsu etc who are also icons to the franchise.
As much as I want Asuka, Lili would really feel like a Smash character, materialistically.

D

Deleted member

Apart from the fact we are in the first week of November coupled with everything else going for the idea of Terry releasing this week makes it seem likely we will get some news by at least Thursday but as soon as tomorrow
Here's to a major leak happening tomorrow. Probably this week either Sabi, Verge, or Nintendo will break their silence.

D

Deleted member

Sometimes I'm lucky I don't follow Pokemon too much. Everyone's leaking the final evos while I'm like, "oh, okay, sweet" and that's literally it. But if it's Smash, it's more like, "***** WHAT THE..."

D

Deleted member

Sometimes I'm lucky I don't follow Pokemon too much. Everyone's leaking the final evos while I'm like, "oh, okay, sweet" and that's literally it. But if it's Smash, it's more like, "***** WHAT THE..."
Smash typically makes Pokemon more likable for me. I didn't give any **** about Greninja or Incineroar until their reveals. Still don't, I guess, but I think about them slightly more than Decidueye or Blaiziken.

D

Deleted member

Smash typically makes Pokemon more likable for me. I didn't give any **** about Greninja or Incineroar until their reveals. Still don't, I guess, but I think about them slightly more than Decidueye or Blaiziken.
The only reason I care about it is probably personal connection. Plus, one of my inter-school BFFs is a biigg Pokemon fan. He's been a Gen 4 baby but he won't be buying due to the entire NatDex stuff.

As for me? I'm kind of...neutral.

D

Deleted member

The only reason I care about it is probably personal connection. Plus, one of my inter-school BFFs is a biigg Pokemon fan. He's been a Gen 4 baby but he won't be buying due to the entire NatDex stuff.

As for me? I'm kind of...neutral.
Haven't really kept up on Pokemon since Gen 6. Only reason I'm back is because I lost a bet so now I'm playing Gen 8 lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Haven't really kept up on Pokemom since Gen 6. Only reason I'm back is because I lost a bet so now I'm playing Gen 8 lol.
Oh, I see.

The hardest I've been to ever coming back to Pokemon was 2016 with the entire Pokemon Go craze. My phone was leagues away from actually being compatible with the game that I just downloaded MyOldBoy with Pokemon Red and Blue. Then I just made one team and swept through everyone.

SKX31

Smash Master
Weeeeeeeeell...

See where I'm going?

It feels a bit wonky, not least since Nintendo presumably counts Australia and the neighboring SEA (Lesley Black Velvet's region) in the "Other" section alongside the Middle East and elsewhere. The three major regions according to their data is Japan, Europe and The Americas (NA and Latin America, meaning 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus lives in a major region*).

However, Nintendo's execs have explicitly stated that Nintendo aims to grow in these "Other" regions and expand their reach to new regions and demographics. Currently "Other" regions account for 4 million Switches. Sure it's only 1 / 10 of the total Switches out there, but it's picking up compared to last year and beforehand. "Other" regions is also a huge variety of places: crucially it includes China. Kimishima (Nintendo's former President, suceeded by Furukawa) said this last year:

I cannot say with certainty how large the market will grow, but we do plan to work on expanding the scale of it. We especially want to expand the business in Asia, the Middle East and Central and South America.
It's a sentiment Furukawa echoed this year, by the way.

Terry (alongside KOF) is very popular in China as well, but if we're going with the theory then the Middle East and SEA / South Korea should be accounted for as well as Australia. Honestly I could easily a Korean-favored pick make it in too. StarCraft, LoL, Tekken and Overwatch are probably the four big guns in Korea by the by.

I should also note that SEA is (AFAIK) different from Australia. Aside from the Australian government being rather ban happy, SEA (as a very general rule - that region has a lot of countries) leans heavily into the computer / mobile side of things - moreso than Australia IIRC. Nintendo does appear to have a foothold there though, so I wouldn't count the region out by any stretch.

As a sidenote, Africa has a video game scene, but it's still not mainstream and focused on mobiles. However, it's big enough that there are Street Fighter tournamentts there (alongside FIFA, Fortnite and Candy Crush, granted, but video games have established a foothold there too).

*(Latin America was apparently recently promoted into "The Americas" category. While the majority of Switches there are in the NA, I'd wildly guess around 15-20 % of Switches are in Latin / South America)

D

Deleted member

It feels a bit wonky, not least since Nintendo presumably counts Australia and the neighboring SEA (Lesley Black Velvet's region) in the "Other" section alongside the Middle East and elsewhere. The three major regions according to their data is Japan, Europe and The Americas (NA and Latin America, meaning 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus lives in a major region*).

However, Nintendo's execs have explicitly stated that Nintendo aims to grow in these "Other" regions and expand their reach to new regions and demographics. Currently "Other" regions account for 4 million Switches. Sure it's only 1 / 10 of the total Switches out there, but it's picking up compared to last year and beforehand. "Other" regions is also a huge variety of places: crucially it includes China. Kimishima (Nintendo's former President, suceeded by Furukawa) said this last year:

Terry (alongside KOF) is very popular in China as well, but if we're going with the theory then the Middle East and SEA / South Korea should be accounted for as well as Australia. Honestly I could easily a Korean-favored pick make it in too. StarCraft, LoL, Tekken and Overwatch are probably the four big guns in Korea by the by.

I should also note that SEA is (AFAIK) different from Australia. Aside from the Australian government being rather ban happy, SEA (as a very general rule - that region has a lot of countries) leans heavily into the computer / mobile side of things - moreso than Australia IIRC. Nintendo does appear to have a foothold there though, so I wouldn't count the region out by any stretch.

As a sidenote, Africa has a video game scene, but it's still not mainstream and focused on mobiles. However, it's big enough that there are Street Fighter tournamentts there (alongside FIFA, Fortnite and Candy Crush, granted, but video games have established a foothold there too).

*(Latin America was apparently recently promoted into "The Americas" category. While the majority of Switches there are in the NA, I'd wildly guess around 15-20 % of Switches are in Latin / South America)
We of the South East Asian region looooooovvveee our mobile games. Heck, my name of Lesley comes from a character from a mobile game.

We also have passion for our PC Games. We Filipinos made the Lakad Matatag statement, and we have been quite influential in Esports (*cough* put tanks in a mall *wheeze*).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Which is my point. I do not expect niche third party picks. There is no precedent.
Actually all of the Fighters Pass characters are niche in some way:
:ultjoker: not known by casuals or people who don't own a Playstation.
:ulthero: only really popular in Japan.
:ultbanjokazooie: not known by younger people.
:ult_terry: only popular in South America. EDIT: This is apparently false, but he is still niche in certain regions like the U.S. (where fighting games in general are also pretty niche).

That being said I don't think we'll see a pick that's niche in all audiences.
(*cough* put tanks in a mall *wheeze*).
Employee 1: "Sir! The shoppers are coming!"
Employee 2: "Fire the sales cannon!"
Shoppers: "Yay! Saving mone-HRRRK!"
Employees: "...This was not our best idea."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ultterry: only popular in South America
Pardon me, but KoF is popular in the SEA region as well as Korea. One time, I went on Fightcade, specifically the one for KoF 98, and there was so much Hangul on the chat.

Also **** I forgot China! Kof 97 is practically the Melee of China lmao

Employees: "...This was not our best idea
Hehehheeh.

We're also the fam that made "mga bobo" a thing.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Pretty much this. South America is usually grouped together with North and Central in online games that don't have a dedicated server for our region, for example.

I can't speak much for the rest of LATAM, but Brazil, as of 2018, is one of the biggest consumers of video games worldwide - the biggest in South America and the fourth biggest in all of the Americas (behind Mexico, Canada and the US, in that order).

I agree with the sentiment regarding Korea/SEA. Besides, a PC-centric pick like a MOBA or MMO is one of the biggest curveballs we could get after having a Microsoft character in Smash. For mobile... I dunno, Nintendo has their own first party stuff in that regard and even with third parties, I don't see any big viable options aside from Cygames, so...

D

Deleted member

Tracer and Mei's second designs would look cool in the Ultimate style. What yall think

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I agree with the sentiment regarding Korea/SEA. Besides, a PC-centric pick like a MOBA or MMO is one of the biggest curveballs we could get after having a Microsoft character in Smash. For mobile... I dunno, Nintendo has their own first party stuff in that regard and even with third parties, I don't see any big viable options aside from Cygames, so...
Personally, I say that if you want to target Korea, you go for Kerrigan. Granted, that may not be as contemporary, and you've got the recent Blizzard sentiments to keep in mind, but eh...

And I'd favour an MM/ORPG rep, personally. While I am hoping for an OG PSO rep or someone from one of the FF MMOs, I could see PSO2 being an attractive pick as well, as it is finally getting a western release, and that may be something SEGA and Nintendo want to promote (assuming it does hit the Switch here in some form). Not sure where WoW would stand, but that's obviously the other big name to consider, before looking to stuff like Lineage.

For mobile, there are actually several options depending on what you consider viable. Angry Birds has expanded into a multimedia franchise and can draw people in on that front, but the greater potential, in my eyes, is in the gacha/waifu market. I've already expressed my support for iM@S granted, so there's surely a bit of bias there, but its mobile games have done extremely well. Cinderella Girls was major enough to spin-off into additional games on its own. But if that 'doesn't count' since it does originate from a traditional series, there's always Kancolle.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Personally, I say that if you want to target Korea, you go for Kerrigan. Granted, that may not be as contemporary, and you've got the recent Blizzard sentiments to keep in mind, but eh...

And I'd favour an MM/ORPG rep, personally. While I am hoping for an OG PSO rep or someone from one of the FF MMOs, I could see PSO2 being an attractive pick as well, as it is finally getting a western release, and that may be something SEGA and Nintendo want to promote (assuming it does hit the Switch here in some form). Not sure where WoW would stand, but that's obviously the other big name to consider, before looking to stuff like Lineage.

For mobile, there are actually several options depending on what you consider viable. Angry Birds has expanded into a multimedia franchise and can draw people in on that front, but the greater potential, in my eyes, is in the gacha/waifu market. I've already expressed my support for iM@S granted, so there's surely a bit of bias there, but its mobile games have done extremely well. Cinderella Girls was major enough to spin-off into additional games on its own. But if that 'doesn't count' since it does originate from a traditional series, there's always Kancolle.
I don't know if PSO would take a spot over Puyo Puyo and Yakuza in terms of Sega properties, nor of other MMOs, but I could be wrong. Blizzard's big names are still nothing to scoff at.

For mobile, I still think Dragalia Lost or Granblue would have precedence - the former is first party and the latter is from a company that has recently aquired ties with Nintendo through that first party title. I don't know anything about Idolmaster or Kancolle, so I can't pretend to give an educated guess about them, but I still think they'd be relatively low priority compared to the in-house/Cygames stuff.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Actually all of the Fighters Pass characters are niche in some way:
:ultjoker: not known by casuals or people who don't own a Playstation.
:ulthero: only really popular in Japan.
:ultbanjokazooie: not known by younger people.
:ult_terry: only popular in South America. EDIT: This is apparently false, but he is still niche in certain regions like the U.S. (where fighting games in general are also pretty niche).

That being said I don't think we'll see a pick that's niche in all audiences.

Employees: "...This was not our best idea."
Europe didn't throw a ***** fit at Square to localize DQ to not get acknowledged at all smh

Droodle

Smash Lord
I have a theory to end all theories.

1. Joker: Popular character (decently requested too) from a series that recently hit the peak of it's popularity in both the west and east.
2. Hero: Not heavily requested, but from a hugely popular series in the east. The biggest series in the DLC so far just because of how huge it is in the east.
3. Banjo-Kazooie: Heavily requested character from an inactive series.
4. Terry: Not heavily requested. Series is popular in the east but nowhere near Dragon Quest.

So as we can see, the "nicheness" of the character rises as the DLC goes along. So going by this theory fighter-pass 5 has to be more niche than Terry.

So,

FP 5: Literally whoever Sakurai feels like adding because my theory is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom