• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I mean, the name does indeed imply something as Pokemon adores wordplay so you're really just saying words to come across as sophisticated and how it's ok when you do it
Rilla - Gorilla - We already know Grookey's a monkey.
Boom - Literally could imply anything.

Besides, you obviously opened the Spoiler tag, so on who's behalf are you complaining?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Everyone cool it. We're getting off the topic (and getting further and further into Pokemon spoiler territory) of Smash Newcomers which is what this thread is for, there are other places this can be discussed. Just change the subject for now.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There was a leak, gradually proven true, that never had to be spoilered, which said Grookey's evo would be a big gorilla that played a drum, Sobble's would be a spy-themed chameleon, and Scorbunny's would learn a bunch of fighting moves, and yet I've gone too far by saying they're "humanoid"?

Well... better take it up with whichever mods weren't the ones to leave my post untouched.
Maybe I should have clarified it from the start but the bit I was focusing on was about how it's wrong to expect spoiler tags for leaked info on something people are looking forward to that doesn't even have a direct connection to Smash. I don't really care about the spoilers personally but there are others who do so we can at the very least have basic decency
Besides, you obviously opened the Spoiler tag, so on who's behalf are you complaining?
Boom heavily suggests it's something very loud, meaning people can expect a drum from it instead of bongos or a one man band
Again, I don't care personally but that doesn't mean others here who do care should get it spoiled just because

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There was a leak, gradually proven true, that never had to be spoilered, which said Grookey's evo would be a big gorilla that played a drum, Sobble's would be a spy-themed chameleon, and Scorbunny's would learn a bunch of fighting moves, and yet I've gone too far by saying they're "humanoid"?
1572680581181.png

You say that like everyone wanted and was investing into looking into what these leaks are in the first place. I personally don't care about the leaks, but I would at least be considerate of the delicate ears of those who listen. One tiny slip-up like that is still spoiling a design feature. so it is indeed a spoiler.

Because we care about the people who haven't

D

Deleted member

Eh, I don't mind being spoiled on Pokemon. Try to keep such stuff in another thread. This is for Smash.

Though if we're talking about having them in Smash...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe I should have clarified it from the start but the bit I was focusing on was about how it's wrong to expect spoiler tags for leaked info on something people are looking forward to that doesn't even have a direct connection to Smash. I don't really care about the spoilers personally but there are others who do so we can at the very least have basic decency
Well I agree if it doesn't have a connection to Smash this isn't the thread for it, but if it does, I don't see what the problem is, so long as the sensitive info is spoilered. I related my post to Smash, I spoke about the feasibility of the candidates and expressed which of them I'd want to see included. It's not like it's crazy to suggest one of them may end up on the roster.

They certainly weren't the only Pokemon to leak. There were a bunch of gigamax(?) forms that leaked with pics, but that's not Smash related, none of those have a chance at being playable, so I didn't raise them.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Eh, I don't mind being spoiled on Pokemon. Try to keep such stuff in another thread. This is for Smash.

Though if we're talking about having them in Smash...
None of them look very Smash-esque, but (Undisclosed Grass Evo whose name is apparently a spoiler) could work as a rhythm based character, which I totally approve of.
My top 10 First Party picks still stand.
Piranha Plant, Toad, Impa, Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee, Waluigi, Isaac, Krystal, Spring Man, and Paper Mario.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wanted to ask one thing. I've always been a fan of Tekken but when I'm trying to think of the series logo in case Heihachi makes it in... nothing is coming to me...

I suppose they could use the Kanji that's behind the Tekken logo but is that really discernible enough for a series logo?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wanted to ask one thing. I've always been a fan of Tekken but when I'm trying to think of the series logo in case Heihachi makes it in... nothing is coming to me...

I suppose they could use the Kanji that's behind the Tekken logo but is that really discernible enough for a series logo?
bro look at terry's logo and ask that question again

D

Deleted member

The Mishima logo would be fine for me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I mean, we have Cartoony Star and Sharp Star as logos so...

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean, we have Cartoony Star and Sharp Star as logos so...
bro look at terry's logo and ask that question again
*looks at Terry's logo*

I wanted to ask one thing. I've always been a fan of Tek-

I jest.

However, Terry's logo is very much a staple of Fatal Fury and Terry himself (it's literally on the back of his jacket in every game he's in) from their earliest appearance. Do I like it? No. I hate it. I think it looks too much like Kirby's. But I can't deny it fits in context.

Edit: So is the Kanji the best way to represent Tekken or is there something better? I guess there's maybe the devil's mark but that's pretty obscure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*looks at Terry's logo*

I wanted to ask one thing. I've always been a fan of Tek-

I jest.

However, Terry's logo is very much a staple of Fatal Fury and Terry himself (it's literally on the bag of his jacket in every game he's in) from their earliest appearance. Do I like it? No. I hate it. I think it looks too much like Kirby's. But I can't deny it fits in context.

Personally, I think the KoF logo would fit, but considering he's from Fatal Fury, it wouldn't be surprising.

KatKit

Smash Lord

That's an easy one. This.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

The Mishima Zaibatsu logo:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Shin Megami Tensei stage.

Three options:
The Devil Gene
The Mishima Zaibatsu
The Tiger he has on the back

I'm betting on number one. The entire plot of Tekken revolves around the Devil Gene and how it has affected the Mishima family.

D

Deleted member

Three options:
The Devil Gene
The Mishima Zaibatsu
The Tiger he has on the back

I'm betting on number one. The entire plot of Tekken revolves around the Devil Gene and how it has affected the Mishima family.
Devil Gene is a great logo that looks badass and represents the franchise's main source of conflict. Definitely the one to use.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Holy ****! It just hit me! A character that fits color theory, is female, gives the Fighter's Pass variety, and isn't totally obscure:
Amaterasu

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Holy ****! It just hit me! A character that fits color theory, is female, gives the Fighter's Pass variety, and isn't totally obscure:
Amaterasu
isnt an okami sequel in development too

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
isnt an okami sequel in development too
Nope.

The original creators want there to be, but...

Yeah no, the series is dead in the water and if Capcom were triple dipping they wouldn't choose Okami over there current mega-hit sellers.

D

Deleted member

Amaterasu
Man, Ammy would definitely rock. Anothe goddess, a quadruped fighter, uses brush strokes for attacks, and what else?

I played Okami like, 10 years ago. She'd be interesting.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Nope.

Yeah no, the series is dead in the water and if Capcom were triple dipping they wouldn't choose Okami over there current mega-hit sellers.
Echo Fighters don't count to me as a second dip. So Capcom has only double dipped.
Sega is the big dipper, and poor Bandai-Namco, the ones co-developing the whole flippin' game only have Pac-Man, who deserves to be in anyway being on Mario, Pikachu, Sonic, and DK tier when it comes to legendary status.

D

Deleted member

Echo Fighters don't count to me as a second dip. So Capcom has only double dipped.
Sega is the big dipper, and poor Bandai-Namco, the ones co-developing the whole flippin' game only have Pac-Man, who deserves to be in anyway being on Mario, Pikachu, Sonic, and DK tier when it comes to legendary status.
I find the standard you hold characters in quite disturbing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nope.

then what the **** did kamiya say he was doing

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, Ammy would definitely rock. Anothe goddess, a quadruped fighter, uses brush strokes for attacks, and what else?

I played Okami like, 10 years ago. She'd be interesting.
She can make bombs, slow time, cast fire lightning and ice, and fights with a combination of beads (which act like a whip), a disc, and a sword.

I know. I'm saying if they're triple dipping, IE, going for a 3rd character, they certainly wouldn't choose Ammy.

D

Deleted member

She can make bombs, slow time, cast fire lightning and ice, and fights with a combination of beads (which act like a whip), a disc, and a sword
Ikr? Ammy would be a great addition to the roster.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
then what the **** did kamiya say he was doing

If you're referring to this?

Wishful thinking.

D

Deleted member

You somehow take characters you deem as "worthy of gaming history" without appreciating the niche picks.

I for one love them, as it introduces me to a franchise I've never heard of before.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
You somehow take characters you deem as "worthy of gaming history" without appreciating the niche picks.

I for one love them, as it introduces me to a franchise I've never heard of before.
Bubsy is unworthy of Smash Bros.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
There isn't really precedent for niche characters as far as Third Parties go (though Terry is borderline, he was supposedly a regional pick for Latin America).
Nintendo owns the Smash Bros. franchise, so they get the relatively niche picks. At least as it currently stands.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I hardly consider Terry as niche, SNK was a bigger name back then than it is now. It's like a Banjo Kazooie situation IMO. If you'll rock and cry at me that Banjo was an icon because of his popularity in the 90s, then SNK games should be recognized as such too.

:secretkpop:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
If you guys had it your way. Who'd be your ideal pick for DLC fighter 5 and why?
Someone from Tekken - Although there are plenty of other of Bandai Namco based reps that do deserve to be represented in Smash, the Tekken series is something that I would really like to see in Smash.

Heihachi Mishima would obviously be the ideal candidate since he is an iconic antagonist in the series slthough there is the likes of Jin Kazama, Kazuya Mishima, Nina Williams, Alisa Bosconovitch, Lili Rochefort, King, Yoshimitsu etc who are also icons to the franchise.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I hardly consider Terry as niche, SNK was a bigger name back then than it is now. It's like a Banjo Kazooie situation IMO. If you'll rock and cry at me that Banjo was an icon because of his popularity in the 90s, then SNK games should be recognized as such too.

:secretkpop:
Which is my point. I do not expect niche third party picks. There is no precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom