• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Here praying that it's a Smash-focused Direct to be broadcasted on November 1st (like last year). :nifty:
November will probably be centered on Pokemon content. Having a separate Direct for Smash Bros would be kinda nice to have, as it caters to the Smash part of the fanbase while setting the hype for the Pokemon games.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
“2018 Nintendo Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft“

Oh man... the final FP character is going to be an OG Smash character with all the companies combining their efforts into creating them!
Official Leak of Fighter #5:

Edit: :ultyounglink: because Smashboards broke again: https://files.gamebanana.com/img/ss/guis/530-90_583ce49016d54.jpg

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If this is true it’s honestly gotta be Arle.

Like so much is pointing in her favor that I just can’t see it all being coincidental.
Like I've said, the copyright blurb is a placeholder... Nothing has changed yet, and it probably won't update until the reveal to avoid another Terry situation.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The other challenger packs had the same copyright stuffs before their characters were revealed; while a character from an existing company is likely, I don't think this stuff is of any use.

D

Deleted member

The other challenger packs had the same copyright stuffs before their characters were revealed; while a character from an existing company is likely, I don't think this stuff is of any use.
I mean, Sakurai can just pull whoever he wants.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't worry about stuff like that though. He'll likely have a bunch of cool combos like this, but they probably won't lead to kills and definitely won't keep players from playing the game for long stretches of time.
Even so, it's just a little paranoia of mine about having him in, though it does not mean I don't want him in.

It's probably coz of Bayonetta PTSD (which is ironic coming from a former Bayonetta main). Now I have fear of characters coming from the same genre as her to play just like that, though the Bayonetta nerfs we got have seemed to lessen this fear of mine.

If they can make him work without breaking the game, then kudos to them.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
We talk about most wanted characters a lot, but who is everyone's least wanted? Mine would be Jibanyan. Very much not a fan of Yo-Kai Watch and I don't want it anywhere near Smash.

D

Deleted member

We talk about most wanted characters a lot, but who is everyone's least wanted? Mine would be Jibanyan. Very much not a fan of Yo-Kai Watch and I don't want it anywhere near Smash.
I have some least-wanteds, though if I said them everyone will practically lambast me for it, so I keep them to myself.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I always see people say Dante should be in but I never really hear what Dante? Which design do you guys want in Smash?

I know Dante's moveset is mostly the same throughout the games but the variety of weapons is what makes it hard to pick which one. Unless this is the Ultimate Dante that has weapons from every game he's in
If boomer Dante from DMC5 isn't at least an alt I will be very sad

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Even so, it's just a little paranoia of mine about having him in, though it does not mean I don't want him in.

It's probably coz of Bayonetta PTSD (which is ironic coming from a former Bayonetta main). Now I have fear of characters coming from the same genre as her to play just like that, though the Bayonetta nerfs we got have seemed to lessen this fear of mine.

If they can make him work without breaking the game, then kudos to them.
This game is so good about balance. I remember at the Ultimate Invitational, MK Leo showed everyone present (including Sakurai) that Bayonetta was still backwards broken in Ultimate's demonstration state. Ultimate actually employed the assistance of several professional Smash players from Japan to do playtesting, which is likely part of the reason that the roster has had a good record with balance so far. Everyone freaked about Hero, but he's far from dominating the Meta as its developed to include him. Every DLC character has been good and fun, and I think that's a continuous trend.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Steve. Not because I dislike Minecraft, but because I think Minecraft would be better represented with a stage instead of a playable character.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Terry incoming! Woop woop!
My guess is November 5th.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't really care who gets in aside from the characters I want/like. Everything else is just "okay cool" to me.

though I would be a tad upset if Fortnite got in and Minecraft ended up with nothing; I know they have nothing to do with each other, though, so it wouldn't last for long. I'd probably even find Jonesy fun if he was a fighter; it's just, I don't know...I'd be dumbfounded, and couldn't believe Sakurai added Fortnite stuff without giving Minecraft and some other games anything at all. I'd be happy for whoever enjoyed its inclusion, though, and in the end I wouldn't care and just be disappointed in nothing from Minecraft and whatever...

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Remember to BE RESPECTFUL about this, people. You know the mods will be watching this discussion closely, and every character is someone's favorite.

That being said, the only characters I can say I feel absolutely against are anyone not from a video game, I.E. Goku and friends. I just really don't want non-video game characters in Smash, it will never not feel weird and unfitting to me. Thankfully, Sakurai still seems to have the same belief.

In terms of actual game characters though, uhhh... honestly, I got nothing. No one really stand out as me going "ABSOLUTELY NOT". If there's anything Smash 4 taught me, it's that characters I "don't want" usually end up being the coolest. I thought :4pacman: and :4ryu: would always be INSANELY boring picks, but Pac-Man has become my favorite casual character and me gushing over Terry should be evidence enough that I've grown very fond of fighting game characters in Smash. I've grown to believe Sakurai could make a stick figure exciting to play as, so no one should really be excluded.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This game is so good about balance. I remember at the Ultimate Invitational, MK Leo showed everyone present (including Sakurai) that Bayonetta was still backwards broken in Ultimate's demonstration state. Ultimate actually employed the assistance of several professional Smash players from Japan to do playtesting, which is likely part of the reason that the roster has had a good record with balance so far. Everyone freaked about Hero, but he's far from dominating the Meta as its developed to include him. Every DLC character has been good and fun, and I think that's a continuous trend.
Even so, yeah, I compliment the game's balance =).

There is a way to not make Dante Smash 4 Bayo. Like I said, the best way to do this is to lock him behinda high skill floor. Make it such that not everyone can just pick him up on the go. And if they do, give him a set of good, exploitable weaknesses that pro players can exploit.

I'm thinking more of a Skill Gate Character like Ganon or Belmonts.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Terry incoming! Woop woop!
My guess is November 5th.
If it's a Direct, it could be either the 5th or the 7th, since I think Directs are usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays (although the last Direct in September was an exception, being on a Wednesday).

That being said, the only characters I can say I feel absolutely against are anyone not from a video game, I.E. Goku and friends. I just really don't want non-video game characters in Smash, it will never not feel weird and unfitting to me. Thankfully, Sakurai still seems to have the same belief.
I generally feel the same, though there is one non-video game character I would make an exception for...

He's technically from a book series, but if you mention "The Witcher" to the average person nowadays, they'll probably respond with "Oh, you mean those fantasy video games by CD Projekt Red?"

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I always see people say Dante should be in but I never really hear what Dante? Which design do you guys want in Smash?

I know Dante's moveset is mostly the same throughout the games but the variety of weapons is what makes it hard to pick which one. Unless this is the Ultimate Dante that has weapons from every game he's in
If Dante gets in I think he should have some of his different designs. His design always change with every DMC game. DMC3 would be one of the alts without no question. Best case scenario for me? DMC1, 3, 4 and 5 (with 5 as a default). Yeah, DMC2 design is cool but if I'm honest I never saw it that great like most people do.

About the moveset well, compare DMC1 Dante with DMC3 Dante. In 3 Dante can do a lot more (and it's ironic, because 3 is a prequel of DMC1). Even between 3 and 4/5 there are a lot of differences, specially if we enter in a technical area.

The Bayonetta games also have a ton of weapons to pick from, but her Smash moveset doesn't use any of them in favor of just her regular guns. Dante's Smash moveset would probably be similar, just using his sword and guns.

As for his design, probably DMCV, since that's the most recent one, with his appearance from the first DMC game as an alt.
Maybe it's just me but I think Bayonetta without other weapons isn't that 'bad', I don't associate her that much with his other weapons. She having his 4 guns, witch time and Madamme Butterfly works pretty well in my opinion.

Then, for Dante, maybe this is from my experience with both franchises but I think he would need some weapons besides his sword and his guns. I think it's in the nature of Dante using other crazy weapons as well. Probably his Smash moveset wouldn't be that crazy in order to make him relatively accessible to everyone, but I think Cerberus and Ifrit/Balrog should be with him. Oh, and his shotgun. These are his most iconic weapons besides Rebellion and Ebony & Ivory.
I'm not saying incorporating a switch weapons system, simply use some of his weapons for some of his moves. I can picture Dante using Cerberus for his nair, for example.

Also Dante's moveset should incorporate or reflect his different styles in DMC games. I picture Dante with at least a Royalguard gauge. Royalguard could be the normal shield, but if you time it correctly like in DMC you block it and fill the gauge enormously. Then you can release the gauge whenever you want to make a good amount of damage.

Maybe he could have an additional Devil Trigger gauge that could work like Joker's but without a down B to charge it. If not, then Devil Trigger would probably be his Final Smash. Another possibility for his Final Smash could be (DMC5 SPOILERS):

Go to 2:47. Well, most of his Sin Devil Trigger attacks could work as a Final Smash, they're all cool and destructive.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Hmmm... In terms of realizable characters, probably either Agumon or Saber (Fate). I love the Fate series, and Digimon was a part of my childhood at one point, but I feel like both series are more well known for their anime series than their games.

I'd be happy for those who do want them though if they somehow made it into Smash.

D

Deleted member

If it's a Direct, it could be either the 5th or the 7th, since I think Directs are usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays (although the last Direct in September was an exception, being on a Wednesday)
Even though. The most probable is next week. It could be any day, like the Surprise Quiz paradox.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I always imagined Dante being able to surf on other fighters via footstool (when said fighter is down) like in DMC3. I also thought of him having a high learning curve.

On an unrelated note, I think nerfs should be reserved for extreme cases and otherwise when it comes to balancing fighters the devs should focus on buffs.

Oh, and Spongebob in Smash would be pure kino.

Anyways, think about how chaotic it would be if each company with a fighter already got their own pass and YOU (yes, YOU the viewer) had creative control over who the characters and stages were. (Nintendo, Konami, SEGA, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Atlus, Microsoft, SNK.) Who would you want in that case?

This is just my opinion. While I'm willing to buy any Smash DLC fighter that gets released in the future (even those I'm not particularly interested in such as the ones listed here), there are some that I'd rather not see in...
-Waluigi, IMO, would be pretty lame.
-Chosen Undead seems somewhat boring.
-Tracer too.
That's about it.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Well...if I had to be brutally honest from the top of my heart but I’ll be civil about it.

-Steve. Yeah I figured this one was obvious, Minecraft doesn’t need a character imo to have proper representation in Smash, there’s more then that it can offer.

-Reimu. I don’t like her design and it would feel unfair to prioritize her over several globally popular AAA franchises without playable characters.

-Tracer. No explanation needed lol.

-Jonesy. Come on, it’s freaking Fortnite and I’d never hear the end of it lol.

-KOS-MOS, not big on modern overdetailed JRPG designs and I think Lloyd, Heihachi, and Agumon would make top priority for more Bamco characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I always imagined Dante being able to surf on other fighters via footstool (when said fighter is down) like in DMC3. I also thought of him having a high learning curve.

On an unrelated note, I think nerfs should be reserved for extreme cases and otherwise when it comes to balancing fighters the devs should focus on buffs.
Also agree.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If it's a Direct, it could be either the 5th or the 7th, since I think Directs are usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays (although the last Direct in September was an exception, being on a Wednesday).

I generally feel the same, though there is one non-video game character I would make an exception for...

He's technically from a book series, but if you mention "The Witcher" to the average person nowadays, they'll probably respond with "Oh, you mean those fantasy video games by CD Projekt Red?"
I didn't even know he wasn't one until now, seriously.

There are workarounds, I feel. I think Jeralt would fall into that workaround.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
It's infuriating seeing how many peoples' "wishlist" is just them parroting who they heard in leaks.

"Doomguy, Crash, Hayabusa, Reimu, KOSMOS!"
Eh... It goes both ways. I also see many people who seem to artificially-inflate the likelyhood of characters simply because they really want them.

"Character 'Z' is a LOCK." etc.

I mean, even considering how bizarre most of my desires are, I can come up with justifications that make them feel at least somewhat plausible, but that's never going to push them to the level of "particularly likely", let alone "basically guaranteed", and that's fine.

But eh... In the end, I guess keeping the conversation alive is the most important thing, and such posts still do that...

The cool thing now is to not like first party characters because they're not likely.
Personally, I'm still down for a number of first-party characters, but considering everyone that has already made it, first-party characters from existing series tend to be pretty far down on my list of desires with a few exceptions.

As someone who considers Majora's Mask the pinnacle of Zelda and who has been a huge supporter of Skull Kid since Smash speculation started being a thing, he's up there. And I'd be open to Waluigi with a non-Sports-based moveset to sort of give him some legitimacy and 'complete the square'. Other then that, there's not much I'd be particularly into. A Pokemon TCG rep if you want to throw that under the primary Pokemon banner, I suppose, and Krystal from Star Fox to a lesser extent.

Beyond that, I'd like to see them hit up other IPs. Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness, Kevin Keene from Captain N, John Raimi from Geist, Ashley Mizuki Robbins from Another Code, Kalas from Baten Kaitos, Takamaru from The Mysterious Murasame Castle, etc.

I'd be down for an ARMs rep if it weren't Spring-Man, too. >_>

Let's say that, considering the company names listed in the UK Challenger Pack 5 page, DLC fighter #5 may be from one of the Third party companies already featured in SSBU. Following the idea that no third party may have more than one character in the current Fighters Pass, that would leave Capcom, Bandai-Namco, and Konami as the possible companies from which the last fighter from the Pass may come from. Next, let's take a look at series from said third parties that have been featured in Nintendo systems before, and have amassed a solid following throughout the years.

*Crossed franchises are those that are already represented in the game.

Capcom

-Street Fighter
-Mega Man

-Resident Evil
-Devil May Cry
-Ace Attorney
-Breath of Fire
-Darkstalkers
-Ghosts'n Goblins
-Monster Hunter
-Okami
-Onimusha
-Viewtiful Joe

Bandai-Namco

-The Tower of Druaga
-Dark Souls
-Dig Dug
-Digimon
-God Eater
-.hack
-Katamari
-Klonoa
-Mappy
-Mr. Driller
-Pac-Man
-Soul Calibur
-Tales of
-Tekken
-Valkyrie
-Xenosaga

Konami

-Adventure Island
-Bloody Roar
-Bomberman
-Castlevania

-Contra
-Frogger
-Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja
-Gradius
-Metal Gear
-MLB Power Pros
-Silent Hill
-Suikoden
-Twinbee
[/spoiler]
To add a few:

Capcom:
Power Stone
P.N.03
Dead Rising
The various Megaman sub-series (Come on, Tron Bonne)
Sengoku Basara

Bandai-Namco:
Aikatsu
THE iDOLM@STER
Taiko no Tatsujin
Super Robot Wars
Summon Knight

Konami:
Tokimeki Memorial
Pop'n Music
Dance Dance Revolution
Rocket Knight Adventures

You could argue the significance of a few of them, granted, and some of them only hit the Nintendo requirement through cross-overs, but eh.

1) Generic mooks.
2) 'Noun-Verber' (Castle Crasher, Monster Hunter, etc.) [which leads into]
3) Any Create-a-Character type of character.
4) Artificial stand-ins that are used to represent the above in alternate media (Ash from PSO2, Derplander from FFXIV, etc.)
5) The same characters already included, just in different outfits.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh... It goes both ways. I also see many people who seem to artificially-inflate the likelyhood of characters simply because they really want them.

"Character 'Z' is a LOCK." etc.

I mean, even considering how bizarre most of my desires are, I can come up with justifications that make them feel at least somewhat plausible, but that's never going to push them to the level of "particularly likely", let alone "basically guaranteed", and that's fine.

But eh... In the end, I guess keeping the conversation alive is the most important thing, and such posts still do that...
I find that philosophy kinda silly. Character gets leaked, then suddenly everyone's clamoring despite the leak being fake. It's a complete mess.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Remember to BE RESPECTFUL about this, people. You know the mods will be watching this discussion closely, and every character is someone's favorite.

In terms of actual game characters though, uhhh... honestly, I got nothing. No one really stand out as me going "ABSOLUTELY NOT". If there's anything Smash 4 taught me, it's that characters I "don't want" usually end up being the coolest. I thought :4pacman: and :4ryu: would always be INSANELY boring picks, but Pac-Man has become my favorite casual character and me gushing over Terry should be evidence enough that I've grown very fond of fighting game characters in Smash. I've grown to believe Sakurai could make a stick figure exciting to play as, so no one should really be excluded.
Yeah, it's weird how that works out. There were more than a few characters I wasn't that hyped about that I think are really well done so I no longer dislike them being in, mainly Hero. Speaks volumes to how good Sakurai is at designing characters

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, it's weird how that works out. There were more than a few characters I wasn't that hyped about that I think are really well done so I no longer dislike them being in, mainly Hero. Speaks volumes to how good Sakurai is at designing characters
It's also a testament to this guy's legacy.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Dante is another one of those characters I'll be absolutely shocked to not see show up before Ultimate is done. Much like Bayonetta, his gameplay style just fits so incredibly well in Smash and Devil May Cry is one those quite recognizable Capcom IPs not currently in the game. Plus, he has shown up in so many crossovers already. It's kind of weird that he isn't already in Smash to be honest.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
-Tracer or any Overwatch character. If we were going to get a Blizzard character, I think someone from Starcraft would be better since Starcraft existed on the N64 and would represent the PC games at the same time.
-Jonesy or any Fortnite character. Made this point a few pages back but Fortnite getting added simply because it's popular shouldn't happen and Minecraft/Steve should get that spot instead of they are purely using popularity as a reason.
-No more Pokemon or Fire Emblem characters. Probably going to get disliked for this since I know people expect a 8th gen Pokemon and a TH rep but I personally would be fine with no more of either. We don't have a 3rd and 5th gen rep so an 8th gen shouldn't be a requirement and FE has more than enough representation IMO (just a shame nearly everyone is a sword fighter but Nintendo is to blame for that).

D

Deleted member

Dante is another one of those characters I'll be absolutely shocked to not see show up before Ultimate is done. Much like Bayonetta, his gameplay style just fits so incredibly well in Smash and Devil May Cry is one those quite recognizable Capcom IPs not currently in the game. Plus, he has shown up in so many crossovers already. It's kind of weird that he isn't already in Smash to be honest.
Pretty much.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series & Knuckles.

We're so close...

IAmGiles

Smash Cadet
Hot take alert:

Sora

Everything about his design frustrates me on an aesthetic level, and I don't want Disney involved in the game, even tangentially. Additionally, the fact that so many people want him frustrates me even further.

All that said, I've never played the games, and many of my friends with similar tastes as me have played the games and love the games. I'm sure if I actually gave the games a shot, I'd enjoy them and probably like Sora but...

I don't know. Every once in a while, it just feels good to irrationally hate something everyone else loves.

D

Deleted member

Hot take alert:

Sora

Everything about his design frustrates me on an aesthetic level, and I don't want Disney involved in the game, even tangentially. Additionally, the fact that so many people want him frustrates me even further.

All that said, I've never played the games, and many of my friends with similar tastes as me have played the games and love the games. I'm sure if I actually gave the games a shot, I'd enjoy them and probably like Sora but...

I don't know. Every once in a while, it just feels good to irrationally hate something everyone else loves.
That's the point of hot takes.

Regarding yours, I'm quite neutral about Sora. One, never played Kingdom Hearts. Two, kinda fishy as to how they will deal with Disney. Three, he kinda completes the Square Enix trio coz- ****, Lara Croft too goddammit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom