• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
God, I REALLY hope Terry has his Garou costume.

I know it's obviously been said before, but still, it's such a good look and it'd be a crime not to have it.

The only thing scaring me is that we've seen one of Terry's idle animations is him adjusting his hat, and I have no doubt one of his victory screens/taunts will be his hat toss. Both of which would make NO sense if he had his Garou costume.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Too lazy to whip up an additional 20 character DLC roster so I’ll leave it at my top 5 Nintendo owned characters I’d include:

1) Mike Jones
2) Takamaru
3) Saki Amamiya
4) Isaac
5) Medusa

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I know it's obviously been said before, but still, it's such a good look and it'd be a crime not to have it.

The only thing scaring me is that we've seen one of Terry's idle animations is him adjusting his hat, and I have no doubt one of his victory screens/taunts will be his hat toss. Both of which would make NO sense if he had his Garou costume.
I have the same 'fear', but as some people said before, Terry could have the same animation without the hat. Similar thing happened with Joker. It wouldn't be that strange, and if it is they could give him 1-2 extra animations for his Garou costume. I mean, that wouldn't be a ton of extra work. Same for an extra victory pose if it's needed.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I have the same 'fear', but as some people said before, Terry could have the same animation without the hat. Similar thing happened with Joker. It wouldn't be that strange, and if it is they could give him 1-2 extra animations for his Garou costume. I mean, that wouldn't be a ton of extra work. Same for an extra victory pose if it's needed.
What was the situation with Joker? He had his glasses to replace his mask, so I don't really consider that the same issue, unless you're talking about something else of course.

Though I do tend to forget Inkling has different victory animations depending on if it's the boy or girl, and I think Trainer does too, so it could happen. But who knows.

All I know is I need that damn jacket.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
What wax the situation with Joker? He had his glasses to replace his mask, so I don't really consider that the same issue, unless you're talking about something else of course.

Though I do tend to forget Inkling has different victory animations depending on if it's the boy or girl, and I think Trainer does too. But who knows.

All I know is I need that damn jacket.
I think they're talking about Joker adjusting his gloves, which he doesn't have in his school uniform.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I think they're talking about Joker adjusting his gloves, which he doesn't have in his school uniform.
Ahhhhh, you're right. Very true, very true.

Guess we'll have to wait and see then. Here's hoping.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

They could pull a Little Mac where his battle entrance pose which has him removing his sweater, is still used when Mac has the sweater alt on but the sweater stays on.

Some characters have alts that don’t really work with some of the animations, but they’re mainly cosmetic and are rarely seen, and even then some of the animations are edited as seen with the inklings.

Except Bowser Jr. and the koopalings. They look weird having all of their animations the exact same as Bowser Jr. especially Wendy.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
What actual overpowered characters are there for Ultimate? People say Joker but he only really gets results when used by the best player in the world and we've seen multiple cases of characters getting nerfed just because babies can't handle fighting them like K.Rool. Pichu and Olimar got nerfed a while ago just because of people being bad at the game as seen with Pichu counterplay having developed right before the nerfs kicked in
I feel like Dante and Geno could have the potential to be broken if they got in smash, maybe Sackboy too since he was also broken in all stars

D

Deleted member

I feel like Dante and Geno could have the potential to be broken if they got in smash, maybe Sackboy too since he was also broken in all stars
As Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said, if Dante's broken, even if there was a way to not make him broken, it's the fault of the balancing team. And if they mess up, then I'mma wait and go visit Tekken 7 or Guilty Gear.

It doesn't seem like it changed at all regarding to that.
Yeah, it hasn't changed, mostly serving as a placeholder.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
FP5 having all companies in the copyright isn't new I think, it was like that before the SNK leak.
Also, If I recall correctly Hero and Banjo only had Square Enix and Microsoft in the copyright section.

D

Deleted member

FP5 having all companies in the copyright isn't new I think, it was like that before the SNK leak.
Also, If I recall correctly Hero and Banjo only had Square Enix and Microsoft in the copyright section.
That is the same when I checked it today. No SNK yet.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yeah, I'm personally not seeing how no company being listed means anything. Sure, it's possible it means it's from a company already represented, but I'd imagine it's been like this for all characters prior to Terry. Unless I'm wrong?

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I always see people say Dante should be in but I never really hear what Dante? Which design do you guys want in Smash?

I know Dante's moveset is mostly the same throughout the games but the variety of weapons is what makes it hard to pick which one. Unless this is the Ultimate Dante that has weapons from every game he's in

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I always see people say Dante should be in but I never really hear what Dante? Which design do you guys want in Smash?

I know Dante's moveset is mostly the same throughout the games but the variety of weapons is what makes it hard to pick which one. Unless this is the Ultimate Dante that has weapons from every game he's in
I mean, DmC5 Dante is the closest thing to an amalgamation of his prior weapons/moves that we have.
I'd imagine it would probably be either DmC5 Dante or DmC3 Dante. If not both, ala Ike.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Do you even have to ask? Everyone knows that Dante from DMC: Devil May Cry over redundant titles is the most popular design! :4pacman:

I mean, DmC5 Dante is the closest thing to an amalgamation of his prior weapons/moves that we have.
I'd imagine it would probably be either DmC5 Dante or DmC3 Dante. If not both, ala Ike.
Each with different voices.
"Prepare yourself"
"Prepare yourself"

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

The Bayonetta games also have a ton of weapons to pick from, but her Smash moveset doesn't use any of them in favor of just her regular guns. Dante's Smash moveset would probably be similar, just using his sword and guns.

As for his design, probably DMCV, since that's the most recent one, with his appearance from the first DMC game as an alt.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Challenger-Pack-5-1519372.html

according to the copyright, the fifth character will be from a company that exists (probably)
Really? That’s interesting but also a bit disappointing so this essentially deconfirms Crash, Ryu, Doomguy or any character from a new company etc. (Activistion/Koei Tecmo/Bethesda)

For the fighters pass atleast, more companies can still happen later on.

It’s no doubt gotta be a Namco character at this point, or maybe another Capcom rep.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Really? That’s interesting but also a bit disappointing so this essentially deconfirms Crash, Ryu, Doomguy or any character from a new company etc. (Activistion/Koei Tecmo/Bethesda)

It’s no doubt gotta be a Namco character at this point, or maybe another Capcom rep.
That's just the placeholder copyright, it hasn't been updated yet.

D

Deleted member

Really? That’s interesting but also a bit disappointing so this essentially deconfirms Crash, Ryu, Doomguy or any character from a new company etc. (Activistion, Koei Tecmo, Bethesda)

Isn't what we have been discussing all about Capcom and Bamco reps? Dante, Phoenix, Morrigan, as well as KOS MOS, Lloyd, and Heihachi are probably all over the thread ever since. They're the most probable reps at this point.

And we have Season 2, so put all the new companies there.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Is it not tho
It's a party fighting game. Most things in Smash are for the party part of the game, but the competitive community proves that it has a lot of merit as a fighting game.
The Bayonetta games also have a ton of weapons to pick from, but her Smash moveset doesn't use any of them in favor of just her regular guns. Dante's Smash moveset would probably be similar, just using his sword and guns.

As for his design, probably DMCV, since that's the most recent one, with his appearance from the first DMC game as an alt.
They may use a few other weapons for his special moves, and those gauntlet thingies for his jab. I don't know how Devil Trigger works in the mainseries games but I expect it to either be a part of his super or be something like the Limit gauge and Arsene.

I wouldn't count them out yet. It could be just a placeholder so we don't have another Terry situation.

D

Deleted member

It's a party fighting game. Most things in Smash are for the party part of the game, but the competitive community proves that it has a lot of merit as a fighting game.

They may use a few other weapons for his special moves, and those gauntlet thingies for his jab. I don't know how Devil Trigger works in the mainseries games but I expect it to either be a part of his super or be something like the Limit gauge and Arsene.

I wouldn't count them out yet. It could be just a placeholder so we don't have another Terry situation.
I think so as well.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So what would the timeframe be for this video listing?

This week or next week?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright, lemme just dispel the myth of Dante being too broken if he would be in.

Dante is only ever overpowered in gameplay when has has his entire toolset available, and when used by the best players in the world.
The Dante people have built up in their mind, aka the one with infinite air combos, 5 melee weapons and 8 guns, who can airdash 6 times in a row, and wipe out entire rooms in half a minute while keeping one demon upended for 3 hours?
That's a product of mixing Dante having all of his tools including jump cancelling his attacks, weapon switching mid-combo, switching his style mid-combo, and lock-on/lock-off shenanigans.

Clearly, he's not going to have all these tools, nor all these cancels and techs that are built into the game mechanics and aren't at all translateable to Smash Bros.

So what can a Dante do without style switching, jump-cancelling, weapon-switching, and being relegated to his iconic Rebellion and Ebony and Ivory guns?
Not as much as you'd imagine.

DMC3 Dante is a must.

It is the design most iconic to Dante and the one they use for most every single crossover, while being the one where Dante's most memorable mannerisms manifest as the fun-loving goofball style-master. It's also the design for the game that prominently features Dante as a protagonist and not, say, Nero sharing the spotlight.

After that, I'd say DMC5 and/or DMC4 are on equal footing being Dante featured instead as a "mentor" figure while retaining the qualities kept from DMC3. DMC5 has recency going for it, but it might be too recent as DMC5 hadn't even come out yet when the DLC was still being chosen, in fact a year from then.

DMC1 Dante is popular as well, but it's largely fallen out of favor due to lacking his iconic traits such as Rebellion, a unique Devil Trigger, and having a more serious brooding personality.

DMC2 Dante is a cool design, but Dante in that game is about as entertaining as a wet blanket and so is the gameplay.

Last edited:

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Challenger-Pack-5-1519372.html

according to the copyright, the fifth character will be from a company that exists (probably)
“2018 Nintendo Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft“

Oh man... the final FP character is going to be an OG Smash character with all the companies combining their efforts into creating them!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alright, lemme just dispel the myth of Dante being too broken if he would be in.

Dante is only ever overpowered in gameplay when has has his entire toolset available, and when used by the best players in the world.
The Dante people have built in their mind, aka the one with infinite air combos, 5 melee weapons and 8 guns, who can airdash 6 times in a row, and wipe out entire rooms in half a minute while keeping one demon upended for 3 hours?
That's a product of mixing Dante having all of his tools including jump cancelling his attacks, weapon switching mid-combo, switching his style mid-combo, and lock-on/lock-off shenanigans.

Clearly, he's not going to have all these tools, nor all these cancels and techs that are built into the game mechanics and aren't at all translateable.

So what can a Dante do without style switching, jump-cancelling, weapon-switching, and being relegated to his iconic Rebellion and Ebony and Ivory guns?
Noooooot as much as you'd hope.
I think people are more stuck on him being Bayonetta, but with a sword. (Not saying that this will make him broken, but I'm also not not saying that)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
“2018 Nintendo Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft“

Oh man... the final FP character is going to be an OG Smash character with all the companies combining their efforts into creating them!
If this is true it’s honestly gotta be Arle.

Like so much is pointing in her favor that I just can’t see it all being coincidental.

D

Deleted member

I think people are more stuck on him being Bayonetta, but with a sword. (Not saying that this will make him broken, but I'm also not not saying that)
After watching the video he posted, this just adds to my paranoia about having him in.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Here praying that it's a Smash-focused Direct to be broadcasted on November 1st (like last year). :nifty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom