• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Dynsasty Warriors would be an interesting series to add. It is a popular series in Japan. But outside of Japan, the series is just seen as a "repetitive button masher series" at least to critics. There would be A LOT of salt in that case.
...which makes it the perfect franchise to end the Fighter Pass on :4pacman:

Despite that reputation, musou games still do get relatively big amounts of press outside Japan, so I don't think they're one of those "umm actually this game is very popular in Japan" series that seem to be all the rage sometimes. I'd appreciate sales data if someone (@Velveeta Dream) has them, but I'd be surprised if they weren't doing decent business around the globe.
ZhugeEX had an incredibly detailed write up on Dynasty Warriors sales from 2013: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/koeiwarriors/official-dynasty-warriors-8-sales-thread-t17436.html

In that thread, he also had this graph of DW sales (which given this is from 2013 it's probably a bit outdated):

1571882379526.png

Dynasty Warriors 9, despite the negative reception it received from fans and critics, sold over 730,000 copies worldwide according to dualshockers.

This isn't everything, but it's what I can gather for now. I can dig for more info at another time and probably bring up the spinoff titles/series as well like Samurai Warriors or One Piece Pirate Warriors.
I LOVE Dynasty Warriors, but I don't think it can (or should) get in, because its characters are all historical figures. It'd be like putting Hercules or Achilles in Smash.
I've tackled this argument before, so here's what I've said about the historical figures thing:
-While everything in the games are relating to actual events (or exaggerated versions of such events), Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors are video game franchises. They have as much of a chance in Smash as many other video game franchises that exist.
-The characters are Koei-Tecmo's interpretation of them which would make them distinct enough from design and personality to be recognized as a video game character or at least a video game version of said character.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I've tackled this argument before, so here's what I've said about the historical figures thing:
I totally get where you're coming from, but I just don't think that's enough to get around the only hard rule Sakurai has ever truly laid down. DW Cao Cao or Liu Bei are absolutely nothing like the historical figures, I completely agree, but they're still not a video game original character. A video game version of Cao Cao doesn't seem different from a video game version of Goku, at the end of the day.

With that said, I think Hyrule Warriors getting representation would make the most sense anyways if Nintendo wanted a musou rep. It's a great game which was evidently very successful given that it received 2 re-releases, and has multiple original characters they can choose from who unambiguously pass the "must have debuted in a video game" test.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Watch DLC #5 be someone that no leaker brought up, thusly invalidating what has essentially been the last week of conversation.
Thing is, talking to a few people about the leaks, nearly all the leakers are in agreement that no one has any idea who it is. Not Brew, not Sabi, not shifty, not Verge. No one ****ing knows and it's insane.

All we know is that it's likely not Hayabusa, Crash, or Tracer. That's ALL we have to go off of.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
...which makes it the perfect franchise to end the Fighter Pass on :4pacman:

ZhugeEX had an incredibly detailed write up on Dynasty Warriors sales from 2013: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/koeiwarriors/official-dynasty-warriors-8-sales-thread-t17436.html

In that thread, he also had this posted this graph of DW sales (which given this is from 2013 it's probably a bit outdated):

Dynasty Warriors 9, despite the negative reception it received from fans and critics, sold over 730,000 copies worldwide according to dualshockers.

This isn't everything, but it's what I can gather for now. I can dig for more info at another time and probably bring up the spinoff titles/series as well like Samurai Warriors or One Piece Pirate Warriors.

That's a respectable split, a bit less than what I expected, but it might have even sold 1mil outside Japan with 4. So it definitely has an audience overseas, I'd say.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Is Xenosaga related to Xenoblade at all? I mean, if KOS-MOS gets added, will she share a series icon with Shulk? Or are they considered two separate series that are just loosely related?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Is Xenosaga related to Xenoblade at all? I mean, if KOS-MOS gets added, will she share a series icon with Shulk? Or are they considered two separate series that are just loosely related?
Separate series with separate icons, separate gameplay, and separate lore.

The guys that make the Xeno games just really love keeping that naming convention.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
At the end of the day, they're still not eligible.
I mean, they are if there's a video game about them.

Hercules is no less mythological than Medusa, but the Medusa from Kid Icarus or the Medsa from Castlevania would be perfectly eligible for Smash. There are plenty of Herculeses in video games.

It was a last minute decision by Nintendo to reveal Joker there to sell the Fighter's pass at launch. Sakurai had no intention to reveal Joker at the VGAs.
And what's preventing that from happening again?

Thing is, talking to a few people about the leaks, nearly all the leakers are in agreement that no one has any idea who it is. Not Brew, not Sabi, not shifty, not Verge. No one ****ing knows and it's insane.
It's only insane until you acknowledge that none of them knew anything the previous times either.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice

All we know is that it's likely not Hayabusa, Crash, or Tracer. That's ALL we have to go off of.
I thought Brew is sticking with Ryu even with what Sabi said? Verge said he is looking into it but went dark after that AFAIK.

D

Deleted member

Watch DLC #5 be someone that no leaker brought up, thusly invalidating what has essentially been the last week of conversation.
I'd be fine with that since 3/4 don't really excite me.

**** me, I had to go ahead and backread what just transpired. It's already the final fighter of the first pass and this time, speculation has gone insane as ****. We've went from Haya, Crash, Tracer, Reimu, KOS-MOS, and at this point it's too ridiculous as **** when asking who's next. It's just like I said, anyone is fair game at this point.

DLC#5 is still fair game, so while I'm sticking with Morrigan as my bet despite her low chances T^T, KOS-MOS and Reimu are the safest ones in my book so far. They both have 20% credible leaks supporting them, so in all cases, they're still standing. If any of them get in, it'll be a good situation for me as well as the people here frustrated about the female fighter. Regarding the "female projectiles" thingy, Reimu is the only one so far with the most credibility to this, though the leak is probably questionable at this point. Reimu also has the recent doujin stuff going on behind her. As for KOS-MOS, it's only a 4chan thread, and I surely don't trust 4chan like, ever. Either way, said KOS-MOS leak is piggybacking on already existing stuff (then again if you knew why didn't you tell us earlier), and that hurts the credibility. It's technically easy to say anything on the Internet, so it's super-suspicious as to his evidence.

The others (Hayabusa, Crash, and anyone who was "deconfirmed") are "shamelessly trying to push their luck" at this point. They have already said not to back up the two due to the fact that the most credible ones right now are divided over this. All of them have said that it ain't them, yet Brew and Shifty are either really hopeful, are obvious that it's all ads, or second-rate tryhards who are still standing with their views regardless of what the rest of them say. It's pretty much agreed that we're all still in the dark, so if I were the supporters of these characters, I'd do my best to stay calm and not jump to conclusions. The final DLC is still unknown and it's all bet-and-guess.

To be honest, I'm starting to get tired of leak culture. Because at the end, if any of the top-runners are not in, it's not my fault, nor the supporters. all of this is Sakurai's decision, and if he wants to, he'll do it in a heartbeat.

To close this off, I'm reiterating what I said a couple pages back (screw my short-term memory), and these are all my safe guesses:

1. Fighter #5 is a random character that will be revealed alongside Terry. She/he will be released on the scheduled February release.
2. If we do have a VGAs, it's either Haya or Doomguy as the probable candidates.

That is all, and some have already posted inquiries, so allow me to answer:

I thought Brew is sticking with Ryu even with what Sabi said? Verge said he is looking into it but went dark after that AFAIK.
Either Brew is trying too hard or he's actually a pariah amidst the darkness.

Xeno basically hae elements common in all its sagas: Xenoblade, gears, saga, you name it. Kinda like Final Fantasy or Fire Emblem in that notion.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
This is probably going to be hard to do, but let's pretend here for a bit, shall we?

Rewind back to 2018, right before the game was released, after the last Smash direct. Put yourself in your own shoes 11 months ago. Are you there yet? Great. Now let's say at that time, we had irrefutable evidence that Banjo, Joker, Terry, and Hero were in, we were just missing fighter number 5. Also, imagine absolutely no "leaks" (rumors, really) surrounding the 5th character came out. Imagine we had nothing.

Who would you say we're the top 2 most likely picks? Basically knowing everything you know now about the fighter pass without the noise from leaks, who would be your best guesses?

For me personally, I think I would have gravitated towards Namco Bandai and Ubisoft. Crash wouldn't have even left my mouth, Tracer wouldn't be a thing at all, I never would have even thought about Reimu or Hayabusa, and I would put no stock in Doomguy.

I would have to say Lloyd or Rayman. Stretching into left field, I'd say Dovahkiin.

D

Deleted member

This is probably going to be hard to do, but let's pretend here for a bit, shall we?

Rewind back to 2018, right before the game was released, after the last Smash direct. Put yourself in your own shoes 11 months ago. Are you there yet? Great. Now let's say at that time, we had irrefutable evidence that Banjo, Joker, Terry, and Hero were in, we were just missing fighter number 5. Also, imagine absolutely no "leaks" (rumors, really) surrounding the 5th character came out. Imagine we had nothing.

Who would you say we're the top 2 most likely picks? Basically knowing everything you know now about the fighter pass without the noise from leaks, who would be your best guesses?

For me personally, I think I would have gravitated towards Namco Bandai and Ubisoft. Crash wouldn't have even left my mouth, Tracer wouldn't be a thing at all, I never would have even thought about Reimu or Hayabusa, and I would put no stock in Doomguy.

I would have to say Lloyd or Rayman. Stretching into left field, I'd say Dovahkiin.
My tope 2 most likely picks are characters whose companies have already been in the game. The most likely are Jill/Morrigan/Dante (Capcom) and Heihachi/Lloyd/KOS-MOS (Bamco).

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice

I’d have to say:

Ray-man: with Mario v Rabbids being a thing, I would of bet him being a lock for a Ubisoft rep.

Hayabusha: seeing how successful MUA3 was and Nintendo funding KT for it, I feel like they would want him in. Plus Ninja Gaiden legacy is pretty large.

Doomslayer: Bethesda porting every Doom game to Switch and making sure the newest one launches on the system seems like a lock (still does to me). The Doom legacy is also a lot bigger than Skyrim so he will always win against Dragonborn IMO.

Reimu: I’ve seen her as relatively likely since SSBU was announced due to Touho being so large and she would be the perfect indie rep. Hearing her leaked bumps my confidence in her quite a bit. I still think she has a decent chance in being our female character in this fighter pass.

So pretty much my past self would think closely to what I think now outside of Ray-man being less likely.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Given that all of these characters are from games who's companies Nintendo has done business with in recent years... my money goes to Sora and someone from Ubisoft.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

It wouldn't change my stance, it would really only enforce it. I think no characters are likely because Sakurai's too damn unpredictable.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

Bit tough to rewind my thoughts, but I'd probably think Sora and maaaybe Shantae out of personal bias.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Given that all of these characters are from games who's companies Nintendo has done business with in recent years... my money goes to Sora and someone from Ubisoft.
I hate to be controversial, but I doubt Sora will ever come to Smash due to being part of the Disney universe.
I also doubt Reimu (for fighter five) due to Nintendo saying early on in the Fighter's Pass when only Joker was revealed that we'd have to trust that Nintendo would choose good DLC characters since we were preordering blindly.
Though one could argue Terry fits this criteria, I doubt they'd pick extremely niche characters like Reimu, KOS-MOS, or even Ryu Hayabusa for a bundle that people preordered on faith in Nintendo.
I know I sound like a broken record, but the character I keep landing on that meets my personal speculation criteria is Doom Slayer.
The Fighter's Pass lacks a gunner, which Doom Slayer is.
I believe color theory merely because it makes marketing the Fighter's Pass pretty with a nice rainbow (which Nintendo likely sees as more important than we do), and Doom Slayer would likely have a reddish orange background to match the old boxarts.
Also, Doom Slayer fits both the role of a modern marketing character (Doom Eternal) as well as being a SUPER IMPORTANT legacy character (father of the FPS genre).
Bethesda has also been super supportive of the Nintendo Switch and has even commented on talking to Nintendo about Smash Bros.
Finally, Doom Slayer is tied with Crash Bandicoot as my #1 most wanted pick, so my personal bias backs him.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Honestly, I still would've gone with Jill/Leon just because of how big of a franchise Resident Evil is and how easy Capcom is to work with. I think at that point the Switch ports for the Gamecube RE games were just announced, and while I don't think Swich ports actually mean anything for Smash, it shows that Capcom and Nintendo are both interested in giving the series a presence on Switch.

Aside from that, assuming we didn't also know about the Sans costume, uhhh Frisk I guess. Undertale was another one of those really big games that just got ported to Switch and Nintendo was advertising it a lot. If any indie were to make it in, I still feel like Undertale would've been the top candidate (and maybe it still is for Fighters Pass.... 3, or Smash 6 I guess? I don't see it happening for a while but god I'd love to be proven wrong).

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I still don't know what's preventing BGS from porting Morrowind/Oblivion/The Fallouts to Switch, which makes me think the (multiplatform) Doom ports were partially iD's decision.

Dovahkiin would be a fantastic way to surprise everyone! (that and I really want to see him in the game)

I'm gonna go with a Dark Horse pick here and go with Rayman as one of the bigger potential candidates. If all of the pass characters are from companies that Nintendo has worked with over the past few years then Ubisoft is one of the prime candidates. Furthermore, these characters are going for different world demographics, a statement solidified by Terry. Rayman is big in France and unless you count Banjo-Kazooie as both Britain and USA, there's no Europe-focused character yet.

Undertale is great, but if we're gonna get an indie rep I'd rather see our first one be an indie with a big legacy, like Shantae or Quote.

Last edited:

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Browsing some ideal fighters. The idea of Hat Kid & Peacock is a beauty to think about. Someone made an idea of Hat Kid's moveset and I just wanna say...Hat Kid fighting characters like Snake & the Belmonts while 'Your Contract Has Expired' plays in the background....it's an experience to pray for.

D

Deleted member

I hate to be controversial, but I doubt Sora will ever come to Smash due to being part of the Disney universe.
I also doubt Reimu (for fighter five) due to Nintendo saying early on in the Fighter's Pass when only Joker was revealed that we'd have to trust that Nintendo would choose good DLC characters since we were preordering blindly.
Though one could argue Terry fits this criteria, I doubt they'd pick extremely niche characters like Reimu, KOS-MOS, or even Ryu Hayabusa for a bundle that people preordered on faith in Nintendo.
I know I sound like a broken record, but the character I keep landing on that meets my personal speculation criteria is Doom Slayer.
The Fighter's Pass lacks a gunner, which Doom Slayer is.
I believe color theory merely because it makes marketing the Fighter's Pass pretty with a nice rainbow (which Nintendo likely sees as more important than we do), and Doom Slayer would likely have a reddish orange background to match the old boxarts.
Also, Doom Slayer fits both the role of a modern marketing character (Doom Eternal) as well as being a SUPER IMPORTANT legacy character (father of the FPS genre).
Bethesda has also been super supportive of the Nintendo Switch and has even commented on talking to Nintendo about Smash Bros.
Finally, Doom Slayer is tied with Crash Bandicoot as my #1 most wanted pick, so my personal bias backs him.
I hate to break it to ya, but:

I'll be happy for the fans who wanted this character yet be upset that I won't buy the pass if that happens. My stance is still clear, no women no buy. Doom is a legacy franchise yet it seemed to leave out the female demographic.

Just...let Doom Slayer be in after the Fighters Pass. I have nothing against him, though just...save him for later.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I still don't know what's preventing BGS from porting Morrowind/Oblivion/The Fallouts to Switch, which makes me think the (multiplatform) Doom ports were partially iD's decision.

Dovahkiin would be a fantastic way to surprise everyone! (that and I really want to see him in the game)

I'm gonna go with a Dark Horse pick here and go with Rayman as one of the bigger potential candidates. If all of the pass characters are from companies that Nintendo has worked with over the past few years then Ubisoft is one of the prime candidates. Furthermore, these characters are going for different world demographics, a statement solidified by Terry. Rayman is big in France and unless you count Banjo-Kazooie as both Britain and USA, there's no Europe-focused character yet.

Undertale is great, but if we're gonna get an indie rep I'd rather see our first one be an indie with a big legacy, like Shantae or Quote.
I SEVERELY doubt that Rayman would be Fighter 5 simply because I believe that Spirits deconfirm characters for the first Fighter's Pass.
Post Fighter's Pass? Hell yea! But I would actively bet AGAINST Rayman as Fighter 5.

I hate to break it to ya, but:

I'll be happy for the fans who wanted this character yet be upset that I won't buy the pass if that happens. My stance is still clear, no women no buy. Doom is a legacy franchise yet it seemed to leave out the female demographic.

Just...let Doom Slayer be in after the Fighters Pass. I have nothing against him, though just...save him for later.
While I too am a feminist and I personally would love to see Lara Croft, I'm speculating, not just wishlisting.
Had this been PURELY a wishlist, my first Fighter's Pass would have been Toad, Crash, Spyro, Banjo-Kazooie, and Doom Slayer.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I SEVERELY doubt that Rayman would be Fighter 5 simply because I believe that Spirits deconfirm characters for the first Fighter's Pass.
Post Fighter's Pass? Hell yea! But I would actively bet AGAINST Rayman as Fighter 5.
...****, I forgot about that. Thanks for correcting me! xD

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If you'd asked me a while ago before all the leaks, I'd have said that Fighter #5 would probably be a Capcom or Bandai Namco rep, so something between Phoenix, Leon, Jill, Heihachi and Lloyd.

Nowadays I'd almost bet money on Hayabusa, but if it's not I'm leaning towards one of the Capcom guys - I feel like Bandai Namco might wanna keep sitting it out or maybe saving themselves for further down to prevent any accusations of favoritism.

D

Deleted member

If you'd asked me a while ago before all the leaks, I'd have said that Fighter #5 would probably be a Capcom or Bandai Namco rep, so something between Phoenix, Leon, Jill, Heihachi and Lloyd.
These two are the ones yet to get a new rep in the pass, so they're all safe bets.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, they're safe, though maybe they're too safe. After all, we're currently 50/50 with pre-existing and new companies, so it could go either way.
Well, too safe, by that you mean Sakurai can just pull out characters from thin air like magic. Specifically, the ones where "I was today years old when I heard of them" is in place.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

Man, that's tough. I think I would have gone with Lloyd for sure. Probably a Capcom character rep next. Jill or Leon as my first guess with Phoenix Wright as my 2nd. Really not sure though

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, too safe, by that you mean Sakurai can just pull out characters from thin air like magic. Specifically, the ones where "I was today years old when I heard of them" is in place.
Maybe not that much, so far there has been a reasoning to his picks, and that allows us to sort of pinpoint who are possible, plausible and likely.

Though we've had such a rough time at not being surprised that yeah, it might as well be magic.

D

Deleted member

At this point i'm only praying for Phoenix Wright to be the 5th character....
Or any Capcom rep in general that would be fine in my book.

silently praying for Morrigan screw that it'll never happen but it's still worth praying for.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I totally get where you're coming from, but I just don't think that's enough to get around the only hard rule Sakurai has ever truly laid down. DW Cao Cao or Liu Bei are absolutely nothing like the historical figures, I completely agree, but they're still not a video game original character. A video game version of Cao Cao doesn't seem different from a video game version of Goku, at the end of the day.
The difference is that Cao Cao in Dynasty Warriors is inspired by a historical figure while Goku in any given Dragon Ball game is an adaptation of the anime character (which itself is an adaptation of the manga character). Each Goku is meant to be the same character in a different medium, and Cao Cao is a fictional character loosely based off of what is known about the actual person.

Also, Pit is loosely based off of Icarus, a character in Greek mythology, and most Pokémon are based off of pre-existing mythical creatures.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You fools, if we were to get a real world historical figure for Smash, there's only one person that is even remotely worthy.

abe lincoln codename stem.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom