• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Might be an unpopular opinion but Assist Trophies are the one form of representation I can't see getting promoted into fighters.

And that bums me out.
Well, yes and no. As DLC? Probably not, not impossible, but probably not. Not exactly an unpopular opinion, haha.

So far we've gotten at least one assist turned fighter for each Smash game, though. Mac in 4, Isabelle in Ult. I don't doubt they will doing it again when/if Smash continues on past Ultimate.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Might be an unpopular opinion but Assist Trophies are the one form of representation I can't see getting promoted into fighters.
And that bums me out.
Theoretically if Shadow is off the table, who would be the next best Sonic rep?

Id love Tails... Mario and Luigi vs Sonic and Tails?!

But ROBOTNIK? bruh.....

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Well, yes and no. As DLC? Probably not, not impossible, but probably not. Not exactly an unpopular opinion, haha.

So far we've gotten at least one assist turned fighter for each Smash game, though. Mac in 4, Isabelle in Ult. I don't doubt they will doing it again when/if Smash continues on past Ultimate.
Obviously I mean for DLC. And it's certainly unpopular in the sense that many people are still rallying behind characters like Isaac and Waluigi, when I don't see any sort of chance for that.
Theoretically if Shadow is off the table, who would be the next best Sonic rep?

Id love Tails... Mario and Luigi vs Sonic and Tails?!

But ROBOTNIK? bruh.....
I got Tails or Eggman forsure. Preferably Eggman, buuut that's just me.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Who do you guys want as your most wanted? No rules. No BS. Your desires.
I took way too long making one of these things for my girl, Elenor Camuel, so my top choice is pretty obvious...

Spent way too long doing fighter's pack concepts including some of the others as well, but I won't bore you with those.
So as for the rest... quoting myself from another topic:

2) Kevin Keene - Captain N and the Video Game Masters
May go against the '4th-party' rule, but as it's a gaming-adjacent character owned by Nintendo, I'm still running with it. There is so much potential in reviving the Captain N series to me, that getting a Smash acknowledgement for Kevin could potentially open a bigger door than I can see for anyone else. Personally, I'd like to see him reimagined into a more modern incarnation, but with the peripheral focus maintained. Give him his classic Zapper and Power Pad, but then add in a Ring-con, a Wii-U Tablet, a Balance Board, etc.​

3) Haruka Amami - The iDOLM@STER
This would serve to cover additional demographics we've yet to see in Smash, giving a rep that covers both the idol super-genre and rhythm-games. It would also serve to better introduce the series to the West and give Namco another rep.​

4) Alexandra Roivas - Eternal Darkness
The protagonist of Nintendo's first M-Rated game, a horror rep, and a character with a very versatile kit that includes guns, an enchanted blade, and Lovecraftian magick capable of creating barriers, summoning monsters, etc. Throw in an Ehn'gha stage with sanity effects and you're in for a good time. The game deserves the love, too. :-(​

5) Quinty - Quinty/Mendel Palace
Quinty is the first game created by Game Freak, and a fun little title that has most likely slipped under most peoples' radars. Quinty herself is an antagonist in the game, granted, but she still serves as the title character and has a more interesting kit than her brother Carton (the protagonist), IMO. Have her shuffle/flip the terrain in front of her to fight her opponents, jump around wildly, summon dolls, and maybe find some way to work in her transformation magick. Final Smash could be flipping a Sun Tile to cause the entire arena to shuffle. Since she was fleshed out a bit more in the manga that Ken Sugimori created, maybe add influences from that into her behaviour and aesthetics.​

6) Carmen Sandiego - Where is Carmen Sandiego?
A character who is fun, has legacy, and represents portions of the game industry currently lacking in Smash; edutainment and early PC gaming. There are a number of games they can reference for moveset potential, and they could find a fun way to incorporate her ability to steal absolutely anything that she sets her eyes on (regardless of logic). Then add a traveling stage that goes to different landmarks around the world at different eras to highlight some of her famous heists.​

7) Giana - The Great Giana Sisters
'Move over BROTHERS!!!' The series that started as an unsanctioned Mario port, then became a knock-off that poked the bear hard enough it had to be pulled, before ultimately being reinvinted decades later and getting an official release on Nintendo hardware. With the changes seen in Twisted Dreams, it has truly grown into its own these days. Using Giana's ability to Twist between Punk and Cute forms could be a fun gimmick. Have a dedicated Twist special and, as in Twisted Dreams, have her fireball rush instantly make her go punk and her pirouette shift her to cute form. Give the two forms different timing and weight to their moves, with Punk being stronger and faster, but more easily punished or something, and there's a lot of potential there. Throw in a stage from Twisted Dreams (Dread Dragon's Keep) that twists between the dream and nightmare worlds (either on a timer or alongside Giana) and paired music tracks that twist between Punk and Cute forms alongside it, and you'll have something pretty freaking cool.​

8) Sakura Shinguji - Sakura Wars
Sega has a lot of games that I feel deserve attention and a plethora of characters that I could go with, but outside of PSO, Sakura Wars is the series that stands out to me, personally. It is also another game that both has history on its side and which serves to cover an area Smash hasn't really explored yet; dating sims. Granted Sakura Wars is more than that (and Tokimeki Memorial may be a better choice just to cover that ground), but it's because it has more to it that it has so many options available to it. I'm not sure what the best way to incorporate her Koubu would be, but it would be a neat gimmick and she could call in the entirety of the Imperial Floral Assault Group as part of her final smash. Plus, we'd get "Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan!" in Smash, and that's just neat.​

9) Reimu Hakurei - Touhou Project
Reimu is... not high on my list of favourite characters from Touhou, granted, but she is the only realistic choice and the series does deserve the attention considering its following and longevity. Getting it more attention in the West would be a great thing to see, as well. She's got more than enough material to pull a dynamic moveset from, and if they give her partners as seen in some of the games, that opens up even more doors. Stage would most likely be the Hakurei shrine, which is kind of 'meh' TBH (Shining Needle Castle, Eientei, etc. would be more fun), but the cameos could make it worth it (Mima, Yukari, Suika, etc). We'd get new remixes either way though, and that's the most important thing. >_>​

10) Shantotto - Final Fantasy XI
I'd actually favour FFXIV representation overall since I have more of a personal attachment to it (and I love the music), but from the two FF MMOs, Shantotto has become the more obvious go-to for crossovers and, frankly, she's just fun. If XI mobile ever ends up coming to fruition, having her in Smash would be a good means to draw attention toward that as well. Between high-level magic spells, growing into a giant, and harassing everyone with her ojou-sama laugh, she'd be a great addition. Plus, I'd just really like to see an ORPG character get a slot, so aside from Elenor, I'd say give her a shot.​

Honorable Mentions:
  • Athena Asamiya
  • Cham Cham
  • Hildibrand Helidor Maximillian Manderville
  • Pyramid Head
  • Segata Sanshiro
  • Shantae
  • Skull Kid

Rupika or Rico would also be options I'd be perfectly fine with.
Rupika in particular since she is the second-most memorable and distinct archetype character in my opinion, and both Rangers and Forces stand out as affording more interesting kits than a Hunter would, IMO.

If it were to be a hunter, Rico is a great option since she has a full collection of weapons associated with her (saber, sword, partizan, slicer, daggers, pistol, and twin mech-guns), and actually does have major plot significance. That said, in PSO proper, her role lies in the backstory and we don't really see her in action - that only occurs in side-missions and AU content for other Phantasy Star games.

With all that being said, I'm afraid Ash would be the most likely character since he is front-and-center on all of the promotional material, and PSO2 Ash at that. Ash Canaan from PSO is... intentionally designed to be the most generic character he can be, and PSO2 Ash isn't even a character at all (he is the stand-in for the player's avatar in related media), so that's no bueno....

Haruka herself barely skates by the 'presence on Nintendo' rule due to having a secondary role in Dearly Stars on the Nintendo DS, but I'd be open to any of the idols, personally. I'd actually prefer some of the Cinderella Girls cast if it were feasible, but realistically, if it were to be one idol, it would be Haruka.

I could see them pulling a Bowser Jr. though and making one slot that contains multiple idols. If it were 4, then add Chihaya, Miki, and Makoto, while if it were 8, it could potentially also include Uzuki, Mio, Rin, and one of the DS cast.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly I'm disappointing Terry won't get lane system **** cause looking at Maximillian Dood play Fatal Fury 3 that **** looks FUN
THATS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING
Honestly most stages have a deep enough background that he could jump back a lane without much issue. Not all of them, though, which is probably the main issue.

Between both the lane system and KoF introducing team battles, I'm kinda upset neither seem to be worked in with him. As far as we know, anyway, we don't know his full kit.

Wouldn't it be something if instead of Buster Wolf/Power Gyser, for his Final Smash he just hops into the background and goes "SCREW THESE RULES" and can freely punch and kick everyone from that plane for awhile?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

And that bums me out.
I think the reaction to them, and how much work was put in to the AT, is the main concern. Shovel Knight? A lot of his fans just seem to be glad he's in the game in some form. Alucard? A lot of work was clearly put in to him, and Sakurai explicitly said they wanted to make Alucard a fighter at first but then went with the Belmonts. Meanwhile veteran ATs are using the Wii U assets, or in Isaac's case they cut corners by reusing the Master Hand model and not modeling any rocks/plants for his new moves, and we know about the reaction to the Camelot Bros' status.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

And that bums me out.
It's possible for them to do it without much work (other than making the new fighter) or removing content, but I don't think they'll do it.

But ROBOTNIK?
He's not a robot Nick. He's an egg man.
I'm a comedic master.

Honestly most stages have a deep enough background that he could jump back a lane without much issue. Not all of them, though, which is probably the main issue.
Terry: "Time to go into the Z-axis!"
Also Terry: *Is on Flat Zone X*
Also Also Terry: *Warps out of existence*

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I think the reaction to them, and how much work was put in to the AT, is the main concern. Shovel Knight? A lot of his fans just seem to be glad he's in the game in some form. Alucard? A lot of work was clearly put in to him, and Sakurai explicitly said they wanted to make Alucard a fighter at first but then went with the Belmonts. Meanwhile veteran ATs are using the Wii U assets, or in Isaac's case they cut corners by reusing the Master Hand model and not modeling any rocks/plants for his new moves, and we know about the reaction to the Camelot Bros' status.
So would you say Assist Trophies with more originality and work put into them have a better chance of making it as fighters? Or maybe the ones with many reused assets can be seen as placeholders and therefor they hold more weight?
THATS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING

Between both the lane system and KoF introducing team battles, I'm kinda upset neither seem to be worked in with him. As far as we know, anyway, we don't know his full kit.

Wouldn't it be something if instead of Buster Wolf, for his Final Smash he just hops into the background and goes "SCREW THESE RULES" and can freely punch and kick everyone from that plane for awhile?
Lmao, what if his spot dodge is just him sidestepping into another lane? Could be a neat touch.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Terry: "Time to go into the Z-axis!"
Also Terry: *Is on Flat Zone X*
Also Also Terry: *Warps out of existence*
PFFFT I DIDNT EVEN CONSIDER THAT, LMAO

Yeah no way a lane system would work. That'd be funny as heck though.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice

And that bums me out.
IDK I feel like Nintendo and Sakurai are looking for a way to turn around the whole perception of assists just being "deconfirmations" instead of "oh damn my favorite character got in the game." Promoting an assist to playable in the same game would do that pretty well, I feel.
Also, I have a sneaking suspicion they can smell the money Waluigi would bring in from memelords and kids.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Lmao, what if his spot dodge is just him sidestepping into another lane? Could be a neat touch.
Haha, yep. That's my biggest hope I was just saying the other day that if Terry doesn't have the best spot dodge and roll in the game that it would be a crime.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Or maybe the ones with many reused assets can be seen as placeholders and therefor they hold more weight?
That's my argument. They specifically put a lot of work into certain new ATs being ATs, and they don't want that to go to waste. Veteran ATs, no so much.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What if the DLC characters came with items?

New Assist Trophy: Morgana. Morgana makes everyone go to bed including the summoner. Can only be summoned on stages that take place in the evening, or at night.

EDIT: Tundra Beads-When picked up, characters will fire ice projectiles instead of executing their neutral attack until the effect wears off.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

New Assist Trophy: Morgana. Morgana makes everyone go to bed including the summoner. Can only be summoned on stages that take place in the evening, or at night.
Geese Howard AT that PREDICTABOs all your attacks or spams Reppuken/Shippuken, and before he leaves unleashes Raging Storm.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

New Assist Trophy: Mumbo Jumbo. Mumbo will add a certain transformation status to everyone on the field. Could be metal, bunny hood, tail, rocket belt, curry, big, small, invisible, etc.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Slime: Collect ten of these to summon a King Slime. Defeating the King Slime gives you a Final Smash (meter version).

I've never played Dragon Quest so this may not make any sense as an idea.
Metal Slime: Kill it for an extra stock, but you gotta be quick because it's gonna run away.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Dragon Quest AT should be the Schleimann Tank. **** it, replace all the DQ content with the Schleimann Tank. It'll be worth it.

D

Deleted member

Curious how people would think if KOS-MOS is the final pass character.
"oh ok"

-me

She isn't someone I want nor does she sound like a bad inclusion at all. Unless her trailer has something that strikes out to me, I just think she'd be okay but not exciting for me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The Dragon Quest AT should be the Schleimann Tank. **** it, replace all the DQ content with the Schleimann Tank. It'll be worth it.
*Red like Roses 2 starts playing*
Can't Escape from Crossing Fate! Fight!!!
*A giant tank with a derpy smile absolutely recks all of the smash fighters before they can comprehend why BBTAG stuff is happening*

D

Deleted member

Kazooie is a girl...
I swear every time I see the Kazooie is girl thing being brought up in this discussion, people make it out like she's somehow the embodiment of estrogen.

Like can we just say that Banjo & Kazooie are they and not he or she? Is it that hard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom