• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
How do I downvote a post real quick? Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen might know.

I respect PapaGenos and his content, but he's definitely the sort that gives attention to stuff that doesn't deserve it, e.g. Google Theory. He also believed in the Grinch Theory, so his word isn't final.
He believed the Grinch leak because of Banjo and only because of Banjo, who was coming from a Microsoft source that could only confirm Banjo. He even stated so back in the day. And Banjo did make it, albeit DLC.

Obviously he's not reputable, no one is. But based on how his "reporting" has gone after the game's launch, and how he seems much more privvy to sharing evidence and not going quite as all-in as he used to, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Better him than some others.

Alright, I'm calling bull ****. I HIGHLY doubt anyone aside from a very VERY select few in Nintendo and on the Smash team would know that information. Let alone give it out to a known leaker who is under a supposed C&D. They're *** would get fired immediately if this was real. It ain't hard to narrow down who knew those details.
...Wouldn't that apply to literally every single leak that's happened so far though?

And how it stopped literally none of said leaks?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I fully believe we're getting Fighter 5 revealed before the end of the year. Christmas is right around the corner, so it's the best opportunity to market Smash's DLC and potentially Smash Bros Ultimate as a whole.
I'm thinking after the next Direct.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Alright, I'm calling bull ****. I HIGHLY doubt anyone aside from a very VERY select few in Nintendo and on the Smash team would know that information. Let alone give it out to a known leaker who is under a supposed C&D. They're *** would get fired immediately if this was real. It ain't hard to narrow down who knew those details.
Chances are it's indiegamer chick. She was saying the same thing about Jill pre-release.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Sabi and her merry band of pot-stirrers aren't, like, malicious or anything, but c'mon...

Or queen, whatever.

You know what?

I'm out. You guys enjoy the ride. But rocking back and forth too much makes me sick. I'll see everyone in November.
Goodness' sake!
This kind of stuff is why most times I only ever take Vergeben's word on anything Smash-related.
Guy can be wrong as many times as you can think, but at least he doesn't turn back constantly on his statements, and when he's not sure about something, he's always honest.
Not that my expectations have changed at all. I only expect another third-party character.

D

Deleted member

He believed the Grinch leak because of Banjo and only because of Banjo, who was coming from a Microsoft source that could only confirm Banjo.. He even stated so back in the day. And Banjo did make it, albeit DLC.

Obviously he's not reputable, no one is. But based on how his "reporting" has gone after the game's launch, and how he seems much more privvy to sharing evidence and not going quite as all-in as he used to, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Better him than some others.
At his worst, I find Papagenos more endearing to follow than someone like Sabi or Vergeben. Dude just compiles what the speculation community is talking about and it's a great summary of all of the points. He's not here to make big claims and he's down for discussion. Just a chill dude.

What about lobster boy?
In all seriousness, a mounted axe man would be pretty different and special. I'd rather have someone else, but his armor's something special.

What about a better armored conquerer:
I mean, yeah, as long as she's done justice. My biggest concern with Edelgard is that the pattern of FE characters doesn't bode too well for her being that unique. She'd be the easiest lord of the game to stuff into the FE lord box with the same weapon swings and a counter down-b. An axe can do everything Ike does with Ragnell, for instance. On top of that, every FE character in Smash so far has used their appearance and abilities from the start of their games. Corrin's sword is the only exception. So we're potentially looking at pre-timeskip appearance and abilities.

I'm not saying I think this is all Edelgard could be, it's just that I don't have a lot of faith that the developers who think that "Marth clone" does half the FE cast justice would go the extra mile to pull deep cuts and make Edelgard based on her post-timeskip design.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So, something of note.

Judging by this pass MOST of them are from games that were of note in 2017. Persona 5 released in 2017, Dragon Quest 11 released in 2017, King of Fighter XIV released in 2017, the ONLY outlier is Banjo & Kazooie. I dunno IF this really matters but it seems like they must have picked these characters around this time and have been picking them based on their popularity in THAT year. At this time Banjo was pretty popular as well due to Phil's acknowledgement in 2015 of the Smash demand.

Monster Hunter, Resident Evil VII, and NeiR: Automata are three of the more popular 3rd party releases worldwide in 2017. I think it's VERY likely our last character is a character from one of these 3 series if it isn't Hayabusa.

Got my money on 2B.
You know what else came out in 2017?
Fortnite.
received_697136524097407.jpeg

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

So interesting thing happened in Papageno's video at 6:53 in the video

Papagenos says that Jill MAY have been negotiated for back in Febuarry. but the Negotiations fell through

He says it comes from a credible source, but the source is not sure if this thing even happened. just something interesting to point out
I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but you have no idea how ****ing happy I would be if Jill actually does end up being next. I don't know if I could handle this season starting and ending with my most wanted characters.

EDIT: apparently missed the part where it said she fell through, my b. Still not loosing hope for RE content tho.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Man, you know what would be swell?

If we still don't know who the next fighter is after Terry drops. They save it for a January Mini-Direct or something and drop them the next month. We didn't know about :ulthero: and :ultbanjokazooie: until a decent bit after Joker came out, after all.

Haha it would be so funny right guys :smileye:
plant.jpg

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm confused as to how in the **** negotiations with Capcom of all people for Resident Evil would fall through. Capcom has just given loads to Smash already and Nintendo would be pretty damn open to getting the next biggest Japanese franchise in gaming in Smash I'd imagine (I haven't watched the video, but that raises some big damn red flags).

D

Deleted member

So interesting thing happened in Papageno's video at 6:53 in the video

Papagenos says that Jill MAY have been negotiated for back in Febuarry. but the Negotiations fell through

He says it comes from a credible source, but the source is not sure if this thing even happened. just something interesting to point out
I find it hard to believe negotiations for Jill and RE in Smash ceased when it's ****ing Capcom of all publishers, and even if they were in talks around February, wouldn't that mean she would've been planned after the current Fighter Pass?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
All you have to do with Capcom is ask nicely and they'll let you use as much of their franchises as possible, if Jill was negotiated for I doubt said negotiation fell through.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Yeah, unless it's Monster Hunter, I don't ever see Capcom being a hard company to negotiate with.

Otherwise, they would've forbid Nintendo from making the obscene amount of Mega Man remixes in Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The Jill stuff is definitely from IndieGamerChick since PapaGenos said he heard it back in February. Back then, or not long after, she very heavily hinted at and then outright said Banjo & Kazooie would be in Smash and that Rare games may be coming with an N64 Classic. I also remember someone sharing Discord messages’ of hers about Jill which existed for a longer period of time.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Nintendo, Sakurai, and Capcom couldn't settle on Resident Evil, so they settled on the next best option: Devil May Cry.

I wish.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The Jill stuff is definitely from IndieGamerChick since PapaGenos said he heard it back in February. Back then, or not long after, she very heavily hinted at and then outright said Banjo & Kazooie would be in Smash and that Rare games may be coming with an N64 Classic. I also remember someone sharing Discord messages’ of hers about Jill which existed for a longer period of time.
Oh yeah...

I'm not holding my breath on that N64 classic.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
So Ryu and Crash fall to doubtful for the fighters pass and Reimu goes back to where she was before, which was very unlikely to begin? Tough day if they were your most wanted. Really thought Ryu and Crash could be it, especially Ryu who had been rumored for months. Kinda leaves me in a place where I'm not sure who to expect at all. I suppose if I had to put money on it I'd go Doom Guy or a Capcom character.

Thanks for reminding me to never put trust in leaks. Sure this attitude made VergeBen and his predictions strike me like lightning on a clear day. But it's good to know not everything will be spoiled this way.
Seems like nobody really knows anything about the DLC until about 2 days before a direct. Even Erdrick who was considered a lock wasn't completely accurate.

It's quite nice actually because we knew Ken for like 3 months before the final base roster direct and Incineroar shortly after that. Now it's fun to follow along with things but not have to worry about anything major slipping out until Nintendo announces something because everything is kept under wraps pretty well.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
If talks for a Resident Evil character have indeed fallen through, then the stars continue to align for him.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I fully believe we're getting Fighter 5 revealed before the end of the year. Christmas is right around the corner, so it's the best opportunity to market Smash's DLC and potentially Smash Bros Ultimate as a whole.
Feel like we might get a repeat at the video game awards personally. That's where I had the final fighters pass character being revealed at but since we're getting more DLC after that I wouldnt be shocked if we learned the last name right after Terry's release and then pick things back up on that night.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Resident Evil character falling through in negotiations seems super unlikely to me since we're getting RE5 and 6 on Switch soon and they even had that stupid trailer for it.

It kind of feels like Capcom will give Nintendo almost anything they want.

Last edited:
Resident Evil character falling through in negotiations seems super unlikely to me since we're getting RE5 and 6 on Switch soon and they even had that stupid trailer for it.

It kind of feels like Capcom will give Nintendo almost anything they want.
Maybe they were simply unable to negotiate a deal for the base game, so they worked out a deal for DLC?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The reason Jill fell through was, to quote IGC, for "political reasons".

An explanation as perplexing as it is vague.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Yeah I'm still not convinced. Unless some last minute changes were forced to happen I doubt negotiating with Capcom would've been hard at all.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

I beg to even see what kind of "political reasons" held Jill back from here, but not from UMvC3 or the PxZ games.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
If talks for a Resident Evil character have indeed fallen through, then the stars continue to align for him.

Im still not overly sold on Dante for the fighters pass after his apparent deconfirmation earlier this year. For the post DLC though I could absolutely see it especially if no Capcom reps are in the fighters pass. In fact I could see both him and Nero having their chances move up quite a bit in that is the case

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Incredibly perplexing, bordering nonsensical to me.
Yeah I'm still not convinced. Unless some last minute changes were forced to happen I doubt negotiating with Capcom would've been hard at all.
I beg to even see what kind of "political reasons" held Jill back from here, but not from UMvC3 or the PxZ games.
Given the specificity of the claim and the timing, chances are papagenos is speaking to either IGC's source or IGC herself. Perhaps a request to dig a little deeper would be in order.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wait hold up people are genuinely entertaining the idea that Capcom, the most lax high profile company in the world, ended up saying no to Smash stuff this time around? They even allowed Ryu to get in an official flash game for Family Guy but they're suddenly too demanding and stuff falls through? I don't ****ing believe this, I'd sooner expect Sony to suddenly go third party than this

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gotta say, the current situation is way too difficult to take seriously. The current speculation is based on people who are jut spouting random rumors and let's be honest, this situation is pretty much a circus. We have twitter clowns, youtube clowns, fb clowns, discord clowns heck the only one that makes sense right now is the resident from Gamefaqs for god's sake. Agree that the sources are probably better than laxchris and similar, but even then its like saying failing the term with a 4 is better than failing it with a 3.

I'm going to do like a few people and skip on the speculation until November, like I can guarantee you tomorrow we will have a sudden frontrunner which is going to be disconfirmed later and so on and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How do I downvote a post real quick? Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen might know.

I respect PapaGenos and his content, but he's definitely the sort that gives attention to stuff that doesn't deserve it, e.g. Google Theory. He also believed in the Grinch Theory, so his word isn't final.
To downvote a post, you need to give me 50 bucks, lose Noi's bet or delete your account

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Let's play a game to take a break from all this "leak / debunked leak" talk.

Pac-Man arguably represents Namco's arcade legacy more than the entire Pac-Man series itself. In that case, what other Namco arcade game's main character would you like to see playable in Smash?

For me, I'd love to see Valkyrie. A more modern example I'd be fine with is Don-chan.

D

Deleted member

Took a break from speculating to play KoF Allstars (by the way game is awesome!)

Anything new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom