• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
She has a snowball's chance, but I'm still praying that my girl steals that 5th slot. I think we're in desperate need of a collective "WTF?" kind of reaction from the general fandom, and the season pass would start how it ended: with a thief.
If the Knowbots get in as assists or spirits with her then I'm all for it, even if I sucked at her games as a kid. xP

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It was sheer coincidence that the last time I dressed up as video game character, they got a Smash reveal on that day, but if you're somehow reading this, Sakurai, I'm doing some last minute Halloween shopping, so feel free to keep the streak alive.

She has a snowball's chance, but I'm still praying that my girl steals that 5th slot. I think we're in desperate need of a collective "WTF?" kind of reaction from the general fandom, and the season pass would start how it ended: with a thief.
Why is there a need for a "WTF" kind of reaction for the fandom? We just got that with Terry (regardless of how much he probably should have been more considered, barely anybody was looking at SNK before that Nintendo screw-up) and just in general I'm not sure of the viability of constantly surprising people as we increasingly open up discussion to all sorts of characters and thus make them less "WTF" by bringing them into said conversations. Carmen Sandiego certainly would surprise people, but isn't kind of a testament to the fact that we really don't have much room left for "WTF" when she's in the conversation at all?

KillerCage

Smash Master
So, something of note.

Judging by this pass MOST of them are from games that were of note in 2017. Persona 5 released in 2017, Dragon Quest 11 released in 2017, King of Fighter XIV released in 2017, the ONLY outlier is Banjo & Kazooie. I dunno IF this really matters but it seems like they must have picked these characters around this time and have been picking them based on their popularity in THAT year. At this time Banjo was pretty popular as well due to Phil's acknowledgement in 2015 of the Smash demand.

Monster Hunter, Resident Evil VII, and NeiR: Automata are three of the more popular 3rd party releases worldwide in 2017. I think it's VERY likely our last character is a character from one of these 3 series if it isn't Hayabusa.

Got my money on 2B.
It was actually 2016. However, this was around the time SNK started having guest fighters in everything.
If the DLC characters are from games that came out in 2017 (Joker {international release} and Hero) and 2016 (Joker {initial release} and Terry)...
My boys Phoenix and Doom Slayer are in the running!
(Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice came out in 2016.)

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So, something of note.

Judging by this pass MOST of them are from games that were of note in 2017. Persona 5 released in 2017, Dragon Quest 11 released in 2017, King of Fighter XIV released in 2017, the ONLY outlier is Banjo & Kazooie. I dunno IF this really matters but it seems like they must have picked these characters around this time and have been picking them based on their popularity in THAT year. At this time Banjo was pretty popular as well due to Phil's acknowledgement in 2015 of the Smash demand.

Monster Hunter, Resident Evil VII, and NeiR: Automata are three of the more popular 3rd party releases worldwide in 2017. I think it's VERY likely our last character is a character from one of these 3 series if it isn't Hayabusa.

Got my money on 2B.
King of Fighters XIV came out in 2016. And I think it's a stretch to look at Hero and claim the 2017 release of Dragon Quest 11 to be his primary year or even reason for inclusion when it was obviously the massive Dragon Quest legacy getting him in outside of 11 given he was also always planned to represent the other games. Just saying.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I’m Banking on either Geno or Doomslayer cause they have actual evidence instead of just leak talk, cause I don’t know who to trust anymore with these leaks

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Hold on, hold on, hold on. I'm coming with you.

Let me grab the bags.

Aight let's go.
View attachment 243021

In all seriousness, Sabi has gone back and forth so much lately that it's just gotten to the point that it's better just not listening at all. I can deal with one person going all in and being wrong, like Shifty and Brew may end up being, but once you start hopping from one side to the other and then back again... just seems like you're just speculating and don't REALLY know anything. Even if that's not the case I'm kind of done Sabi. I'm going to keep speculating but like I can't deal with leakers anymore.
This goose chase ends up raising questions about credibility and how well Sabi is handling information. If Sabi wants to be known as the leaker who first broke the news about this character getting in, this whole mess is not helping their cause. Not to mention talking about the sources openly (such as what they do, how high-up they are on the ladder, etc.) paints a target on their back and can strongly deter potential sources from reaching out to them in the future, especially if sources are from Nintendo, a company notorious for cracking down on leaks.

You don't see well-known/notorious insiders and leakers (Daniel Ahmed, shinobi602, King Zell, Tansut, etc.) do this sort of behavior.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
When it comes to the inevitable fighter 5 (or at least a character later down the road), I think people sleep too hard on Professor Layton

He's definitely seems like a prime candidate and he's got some deep Nintendo history to boot

Would be surprised if he wasn't at the very least considered
My hypothesis as to why most sleep on him is due to his games appealing to more of a casual crowd, which may not have too much overlap with the speculation community.

RWyvern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RWyvern
Maybe we'll get a Kirkhope situation, but I really doubt it in Dante's case, even more so because Walker gave a straight "no" instead of playing around with words. Again, the situation with the ports makes me think that if a Capcom rep was "saved" for season two, then Dante's chances will rise drastically, but as far as Challenger Pack 5 goes, I don't think he's coming.
I’m late to this, but I just want to interject by pointing out that however a denial was given has absolutely no weight on how true it is. I mean, I can type ‘Lol no, I don’t work for a museum.^^’ and it is still an entirely false statement.

I don’t think Dante’s in for the Fighter 5 slot, but I won’t be losing hope until Sakurai says that’s all for DLC. It won’t be the end of the world if he never gets in, because what we already have is astounding, but I will probably die of joy if he does.

D

Deleted member

You don't see well-known/notorious insiders and leakers (Daniel Ahmed, shinobi602, King Zell, Tansut, etc.) do this sort of behavior.
Off topic, but boy I'd like to see how ZhugeEX reacts to Smash Bros x Dynasty Warriors.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I’m Banking on either Geno or Doomslayer cause they have actual evidence instead of just leak talk, cause I don’t know who to trust anymore with these leaks
I wouldn't say either of them have evidence anymore circumstantial than any number of other characters. Geno's main point of "evidence" is rather the absence of an expected, albeit not guaranteed to return Mii costume. Whereas Doom Slayer mostly just has Pete Hines' vague comment of "Oh yeah" in regards to Smash that doesn't really communicate anything.

Doesn't mean anything with regards to their likelihood, but there's not really any more evidence for them than any other fighters to come.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think I'm still going to stick with Brew and Shifty. Why? Well, cause Hayabusa is the character I want. There's a few other reasons but I think that's what everything boils down to and I think nearly all of us do the same thing. We want to believe whatever will be the best outcome for our character so, as of now, until we get a name for another character I'm just going to stick with Hayabusa. And hopefully, it ends with him in Smash.

But that's just me.
I prefer to just believe nobody, cause it means I'm almost always right.

That said, I still HOPE that they're right, because I also want it to be Hayabusa.

We need more playable villains. Characters to fit with :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultwolf::ultdarksamus:Who'd you want? 1st party.
Only real 1st party villains I want to be playable are:
King Hippo
Black Shadow(Captain Falcon echo)
Black Knight(Ike echo)

1st party villains I'd rather see as bosses:
Mother Brain
Andross
Porky
Medusa
Dark Dragon Madeus
Not actually a villain, but Arceus

Now 3rd party villains, I'd like to see playable:
Sephiroth
M. Bison
Liquid Snake(Snake echo)
Bass(Mega Man echo)
Shadow(Sonic echo)

And then 3rd party bosses:
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear Rex
Dr. Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot
Wily piloting Wily Machine
Safer Sephiroth

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
I prefer to just believe nobody, cause it means I'm almost always right.

That said, I still HOPE that they're right, because I also want it to be Hayabusa.

Only real 1st party villains I want to be playable are:
King Hippo
Black Shadow(Captain Falcon echo)
Black Knight(Ike echo)

1st party villains I'd rather see as bosses:
Mother Brain
Andross
Porky
Medusa
Dark Dragon Madeus
Not actually a villain, but Arceus

Now 3rd party villains, I'd like to see playable:
Sephiroth
M. Bison
Liquid Snake(Snake echo)
Bass(Mega Man echo)
Shadow(Sonic echo)

And then 3rd party bosses:
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear Rex
Dr. Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot
Wily piloting Wily Machine
Safer Sephiroth
w0t no Kefka for a boss?

D

Deleted member

Since when did Geno not rely on the Crash leak?

Though, being real. I'm pretty much expecting Hayabusa, Crash, and Geno. I can't really argue against people who guessed Piranha Plant, or the Goemon and Rocket Grunt mii costumes. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
One of the most memorable bosses I've fought is the Computer Virus from Kirby Super Star. I would to see a similarly designed boss be implemented into Smash. I know it was designed as a homage to Dragon Quest for sure.

Off topic, but boy I'd like to see how ZhugeEX reacts to Smash Bros x Dynasty Warriors.
Given his username, Zhuge Liang getting in would likely make him hype.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One of the most memorable bosses I've fought is the Computer Virus from Kirby Super Star. I would to see a similarly designed boss be implemented into Smash. I know it was designed as a homage to Dragon Quest for sure.

Given his username, Zhuge Liang getting in would likely make him hype.
Oh my god I just realized that dragon is modeled off of the green dragon from DQ 1! ****ing nice.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If we ever get a Fire Emblem villain. My hope is actually pretty strange, but either Lyon or Fomortiis from the Sacred Stones (be it as a boss or playable) would be insanely awesome and the one I'm rooting for.

D

Deleted member

If we ever get a Fire Emblem villain. My hope is actually pretty strange, but either Lyon or Fomortiis from the Sacred Stones (be it as a boss or playable) would be insanely awesome and the one I'm rooting for.
We already got a Fire Emblem villain though. ;)

:ultrobin:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Most wanted Nintendo villain?

Give me Hades and I'll literally not ask for anything else ever.

7NATOR

Smash Master

So interesting thing happened in Papageno's video at 6:53 in the video

Papagenos says that Jill MAY have been negotiated for back in Febuarry. but the Negotiations fell through

He says it comes from a credible source, but the source is not sure if this thing even happened. just something interesting to point out

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm definitely not about to go off Sabi's word, considering how painfully back and forth they've clearly been shown to be.

But if PapaGeno's is looking at it and says the evidence is pretty solid, I'm more willing to believe him. He at least does his best to make sure he understands something decently before reporting on it, even if he's getting yanked around about as much as we are. Not locking onto any one side, but I'm content going back to square one.

And if we're going off of it based on wants/instincts, I'd also really rather not have Hayabusa be 5. I have no connection with Ninja Gaiden, so that's just a personal thing, nothing against him being in Smash, he's just easily the character I care for the least out of the Pass so far. And I honestly don't think he's the most amazing way to round off a DLC pack. But again, that's just me. I'm more than happy with anyone and anything that gets in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What about a better armored conquerer:
How do I downvote a post real quick? Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen might know.

I'm definitely not about to go off Sabi's word, considering how painfully back and forth they've clearly been shown to be.

But if PapaGeno's is looking at it and says the evidence is pretty solid, I'm more willing to believe him. He at least does his best to make sure he understands something decently before reporting on it, even if he's getting yanked around about as much as we are. Not locking onto any one side, but I'm content going back to square one.

And if we're going off of it based on wants/instincts, I'd also really rather not have Hayabusa be 5. I have no connection with Ninja Gaiden, so that's just a personal thing, nothing against him being in Smash, he's just easily the character I care for the least out of the Pass so far. And I honestly don't think he's the most amazing way to round off a DLC pack. But again, that's just me. I'm more than happy with anyone and anything that gets in.
I respect PapaGenos and his content, but he's definitely the sort that gives attention to stuff that doesn't deserve it, e.g. Google Theory. He also believed in the Grinch Theory, so his word isn't final.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Man, you know what would be swell?

If we still don't know who the next fighter is after Terry drops. They save it for a January Mini-Direct or something and drop them the next month. We didn't know about :ulthero: and :ultbanjokazooie: until a decent bit after Joker came out, after all.

Haha it would be so funny right guys :smileye:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I'm still not betting on Doomguy. Partially because of bias, and partially because I just don't see the argument for him. There's no leaks or anything--just people saying "he'd be good and he has legacy!"
I'm thinking Dovahkiin will get in before Doomguy.

Mark my words.

dream1ng

Smash Lord

Papagenos says that Jill MAY have been negotiated for back in Febuarry. but the Negotiations fell through

He says it comes from a credible source, but the source is not sure if this thing even happened. just something interesting to point out
What's interesting is this is not the first time this has been claimed.

Interestingly, it was claimed by IndieGamerChick, in the same set of tweets she deleted which insinuated Banjo's inclusion. Unfortunately, I don't think the Jill ones were saved. However the timing of that lines up somewhat, since I believe her tweets were made in February.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Alright, I'm calling bull ****. I HIGHLY doubt anyone aside from a very VERY select few in Nintendo and on the Smash team would know that information. Let alone give it out to a known leaker who is under a supposed C&D. They're ass would get fired immediately if this was real. It ain't hard to narrow down who knew those details.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Man, you know what would be swell?

If we still don't know who the next fighter is after Terry drops. They save it for a January Mini-Direct or something and drop them the next month. We didn't know about :ulthero: and :ultbanjokazooie: until a decent bit after Joker came out, after all.

Haha it would be so funny right guys :smileye:
I fully believe we're getting Fighter 5 revealed before the end of the year. Christmas is right around the corner, so it's the best opportunity to market Smash's DLC and potentially Smash Bros Ultimate as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom