• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
The source that told papagenos has a history for making **** up though, not saying "Pack it in Crash will never happen" but rather "Nah this leak is bull****"
Yeah, it's looking like it's still just sitting at Ryu and potentially Reimu as well.

IAmGiles

Smash Cadet
Me when Resident Evil gets ignored and the last four characters are Hayabusa, Geno, Crash, and Reimu:
e62.jpg

D

Deleted member

Here’s a summary of recent developments from leaks/rumors; this info comes from PapaGenos and Fatmanonice (I haven’t chatted with Sabi myself, but saw what she said in PapaGenos’s video):

-Crash could be coming later down the line, but likely not the next three characters, if the leak is legit. Sabi isn’t 100% sure what her NoA source meant, but I guess to her(?) and PapaGenos, knowing a character isn’t in without knowing the others seems odd.

-To Sabi, the Mii costume leak is legit.

-Ryu Hayabusa is most-likely Fighter #5.

-Apparently, the worst insiders have said about Geno’s chances is that he’s 50%. I guess more than Brew have heard him.

-I don’t think anyone knows about Reimu, so currently we only have the “Doujin Leak” or whatever they’re calling it.
Crash is in a tight spot, Mii costumes seem legit, and I'm guaranteed to boycott this pass

Shroob

Sup?
This 'leak' just tickles me pink.

Of course I don't believe it, but at the same time, I'd probably laugh myself to death if it came true.

That's not to say I don't want Reimu, I'm a Touhou fan, it's just such a "What the ****" moment.

Edit:

Has anyone pointed out that Touhou 15.5(One of its 2D fighters), is coming to Switch?

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/touhou-hyoibana-antinomy-of-common-flowers-coming-to-switch

This is an official installation of the series, and it'll be on Switch.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Reimu being highly speculated in a serious fashion for Smash? Never thought I'd see the day.

As for the leak itself I'm not gonna put much weight into it. It's possible the leaker knew stuff about Touhou but also lied about it being in Smash. It's not the first time someone with legitimate info lied about Smash. Still, I'd be lying if I didn't say this leak made me a bit hyped. I still think Ryu Hayabusa is the fifth fighter though, even if I prefer Reimu I think Ryu Hayabusa has stronger evidence overall. Both are great choices for Smash anyways, so whoever gets in I win.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If anything, I'm glad that Touhou is being considered with a lot more serious thought behind it now as opposed to everyone resigning themselves to the likely possibility we'll get Ryu Hayabusa to close off the pass. At this point, everyone's probably grown tired of hearing Ryu's name being thrown about, so I would happily welcome discussion about a potential new series that has a legacy worth celebrating through Smash Bros.

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic and hopeful that Reimu could be one of our post-pass fighters even if Hayabusa closes off the current fighter pass, but it's good to know that people are considering the idea of Touhou representation in Smash a bit more seriously as opposed to just shutting it down and not allowing for new discussions to grow.

D

Deleted member

Finally a brand new franchise that enters the picture is always a warm welcome to me. Helped by the fact that it's the "why not?" pick that will conclude the pass. As much as I irk the mention of Hayabusa, I'm always welcome. The fact that it's a female fighter really got my attention. It's what drew me to her immediately when she was "rumored". But I must not allow myself to jump to conclusions, so for now, I stand with Reimu being the final cast to join the roster. Not only because she's a female, but also a hallmark to Japanese gaming.

I will be open to discussion regarding her, and will be happy to talk about her, though I hope she doesn't monotonize the discussion unlike Hayabusa. It's getting tiring at this point, and sometimes, being too loud about him won't further his chances.

Patience is a virtue. Slow and steady wins the race.

Shroob

Sup?
Finally a brand new franchise that enters the picture is always a warm welcome to me. Helped by the fact that it's the "why not?" pick that will conclude the pass. As much as I irk the mention of Hayabusa, I'm always welcome. The fact that it's a female fighter really got my attention. It's what drew me to her immediately when she was "rumored". But I must not allow myself to jump to conclusions, so for now, I stand with Reimu being the final cast to join the roster. Not only because she's a female, but also a hallmark to Japanese gaming.

I will be open to discussion regarding her, and will be happy to talk about her, though I hope she doesn't monotonize the discussion unlike Hayabusa. It's getting tiring at this point, and sometimes, being too loud about him won't further his chances.

Patience is a virtue. Slow and steady wins the race.
You literally jumped to a conclusion the EXACT sentence after you said that you wouldn't.

:dr^_^:

D

Deleted member

You literally jumped to a conclusion the EXACT sentence after you said that you wouldn't.

:dr^_^:
What I meant was that I'm taking a side to the idea of "Reimu being ht final Smash character". I did not outright say Reimu will be the final one. It's just the idea of it. I hate it when people don't exactly understand.

Stop being misunderstood, please?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
What I meant was that I'm taking a side to the idea of "Reimu being ht final Smash character". I did not outright say Reimu will be the final one. It's just the idea of it. I hate it when people don't exactly understand.

Stop being misunderstood, please?
I mean if you have to clarify what you meant in post then it falls on you to be fair. People can't read your mind, it's the internet.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'd miss Hanenbow.

You might have noticed that I like all the stages people ****ing hate.
Me: It's time to delete Pac-Land
Time to delete this stage small.png

You: NOOOOO! DON'T GET RID OF PAC-LAND! THAT'S MY NUMBER 1 FAVOURITE STAGE IN THE WHOLE GAME!

The source that told papagenos has a history for making **** up though, not saying "Pack it in Crash will never happen" but rather "Nah this leak is bull****"
Him saying Crash Bandicoot as fighter 5 maybe bull but the Mii costumes are legitimate. You don't just guess Team Rocket, Goemon and no Microsoft costumes in July.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Me: It's time to delete Pac-Land
View attachment 242906
You: NOOOOO! DON'T GET RID OF PAC-LAND! THAT'S MY NUMBER 1 FAVOURITE STAGE IN THE WHOLE GAME!

Him saying Crash Bandicoot as fighter 5 maybe bull but the Mii costumes are legitimate. You don't just guess Team Rocket, Goemon and no Microsoft costumes in July.
Yeah but there are 3 key possibilities and I'm speaking exclusively about Crash as those costumes were leaked at a different time from Crash by months.
1: The source is added fake stuff with their good info
2: The source is right about the future costumes but doesn't have all of them as seen with Sans and possible SNK costumes
3: The source missed Sans and nothing else in terms of costumes

Again, Crash was seperate from the costume leak

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Let me ask again:

Reimu is an indie character, right?

So you guys really think we will get an INDIE character only JAPAN knows? O.o

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yeah but there are 3 key possibilities and I'm speaking exclusively about Crash as those costumes were leaked at a different time from Crash by months.
1: The source is added fake stuff with their good info
2: The source is right about the future costumes but doesn't have all of them as seen with Sans and possible SNK costumes
3: The source missed Sans and nothing else in terms of costumes

Again, Crash was seperate from the costume leak
I have doubts that they would put fake stuff with their good info because that just seems counter productive so I'd have to say number two seems to be the most likely possibility.

It's fairly possible that Crash Bandicoot may just be early information like Vergeben with "Erdrick" and the person assumed he was fighter 5.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So what's all the news in the world of leaks? Which characters are you all expecting to be in now?

Strange how much is based on leaks these days though. To me, it really hurts speculation. Though am not even all that exited for DLC characters anymore , because everything is 99% likely to be 3rd party anyways.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have doubts that they would put fake stuff with their good info because that just seems counter productive so I'd have to say number two seems to be the most likely possibility.

It's fairly possible that Crash Bandicoot may just be early information like Vergeben with "Erdrick" and the person assumed he was fighter 5.
Again, that person in particular is known for making fake leaks. Multiple people I've seen are saying that anyone claiming to have post pass info are liars and those people were the first to say "Nah it ain't Crash"

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So what's all the news in the world of leaks? Which characters are you all expecting to be in now?

Strange how much is based on leaks these days though. To me, it really hurts speculation. Though am not even all that exited for DLC characters anymore , because everything is 99% likely to be 3rd party anyways.
Ryu Hayabusa is still looking very likely to be Fighter 5 to close the fighters pass off, but plenty of speculation has been brought to two possible candidates for post-fighter pass DLC - Crash Bandicoot and Reimu Hakurei of Touhou.

I'm expecting Ryu, but also wouldn't mind if we had a surprising swerve with someone completely different or Reimu herself as the final fighter, which would be a complete upheaval of everyone's expectations yet again. But if not as fighter pack 1, Reimu is definitely looking like a stronger candidate for a post fighter pass 1 fighter.

Shroob

Sup?
Let me ask again:

Reimu is an indie character, right?

So you guys really think we will get an INDIE character only JAPAN knows? O.o
It's possible sure.

I don't think she's in the fighter's pass, but as standalone dlc? Absolutely possible.

Besides, there are Touhou games on the ps4, Steam, Switch and the Switch is even getting a mainline entry soon.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Again, that person in particular is known for making fake leaks. Multiple people I've seen are saying that anyone claiming to have post pass info are liars and those people were the first to say "Nah it ain't Crash"
So from what I can get from this person, they are known for making fake leaks but somehow may have real information about the Mii costume line up so their credibility is dubious.

What's funny is that I saw from Fatmanonice's replies on the Geno thread that aside from Ryu, Geno and Crash there are four potential post fighters pass characters so while it's not exactly info there seems to be some talk going around the post fighters pass.

Can't talk about it. I'm under strict orders that I can't even so much as hint at who else has been talked about behind the scenes aside from Geno and Ryu because of all the problems it caused when I hinted at Banjo back in April. I will say, however, based on what I know, at least 4 post pass characters seems likely and that 5 and 6 will probably be revealed by the end of the year (possibly even 7 depending on how things go). Nobody knows about the VGAs yet but I could see it happening, especially if 5 and 6 aren't revealed in close tandem.

D

Deleted member

Ryu Hayabusa is still looking very likely to be Fighter 5 to close the fighters pass off, but plenty of speculation has been brought to two possible candidates for post-fighter pass DLC - Crash Bandicoot and Reimu Hakurei of Touhou.

I'm expecting Ryu, but also wouldn't mind if we had a surprising swerve with someone completely different or Reimu herself as the final fighter, which would be a complete upheaval of everyone's expectations yet again. But if not as fighter pack 1, Reimu is definitely looking like a stronger candidate for a post fighter pass 1 fighter.
Just switch the 2 and I'll be happy. Let Ryu be the post pass and let Reimu be FP5

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The thing that makes me skeptical of Reimu is the fact that Sakurai has been traditionally wary of indie's becoming full fighters.

Shovel Knight's an assist trophy, Shantae's a spirit, and Sans is a Mii Costume. Sakurai had access to these three characters but for each one had found that a non-fighter role was best. I don't see Reimu breaking this trend. Could she get in the game? Absolutely. It's her being a full-out fighter I'm not convinced on.

TH=he only indie I think could really break this mold is Steve, and it's hard to call yourself indie when you're owned by a massive corporation and hail from the best selling game of all time.

D

Deleted member

The thing that makes me skeptical of Reimu is the fact that Sakurai has been traditionally wary of indie's becoming full fighters.

Shovel Knight's an assist trophy, Shantae's a spirit, and Sans is a Mii Costume. Sakurai had access to these three characters but for each one had found that a non-fighter role was best. I don't see Reimu breaking this trend. Could she get in the game? Absolutely. It's her being a full-out fighter I'm not convinced on.

TH=he only indie I think could really break this mold is Steve, and it's hard to call yourself indie when you're owned by a massive corporation and hail from the best selling game of all time.
I dunno but I think he'll let them slide this time. Just my opinion.

Shroob

Sup?

I've always joked that it's a slow escalation.

Commandervideo was a Trophy in 4
Shantae was a spirit
Shovel Knight an AT
Sans a costume and music

There's nowhere to go but up from here if we keep escalating. Stage sure but, we're not getting stages without characters.

I doubt it, but, it's definitely not completely impossible.

D

Deleted member

I've always joked that it's a slow escalation.

Commandervideo was a Trophy in 4
Shantae was a spirit
Shovel Knight an AT
Sans a costume and music

There's nowhere to go but up from here if we keep escalating. Stage sure but, we're not getting stages without characters.

I doubt it, but, it's definitely not completely impossible.
We got this. Never give up.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'll put a League of Legends rep into the bracket if you can tell me which would be a good representative.
As SKX31 SKX31 said, Ahri is the closest thing we have to a consensus at the moment. She has a good amount of fan support, Riot attention and is considered one of the faces of League since she came out. There are others, like Ryze, Lux and Vi, but Ahri seems to be the "safest" pick, if you can even call it that.

Reimu being highly speculated in a serious fashion for Smash? Never thought I'd see the day.

As for the leak itself I'm not gonna put much weight into it. It's possible the leaker knew stuff about Touhou but also lied about it being in Smash. It's not the first time someone with legitimate info lied about Smash. Still, I'd be lying if I didn't say this leak made me a bit hyped. I still think Ryu Hayabusa is the fifth fighter though, even if I prefer Reimu I think Ryu Hayabusa has stronger evidence overall. Both are great choices for Smash anyways, so whoever gets in I win.
It's happened before, remember the Dante leak? Guy had legitimate info on DMCV, about very specific things too, but then "spiced" it up with a fake Smash trailer description at the end. Maybe we'll get some new developments for this in the next few days.

Regarding the song list... yeah, it could be that we're getting a lot of songs. I can't help but notice that quite a few of those in the list appeared in Antinomy of Common Flowers in some way or another - so maybe not all of them will be remixes, only the ones like Necrofantasia?

Can't wait for the Black MIDI tracks in Smash, oh boy.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
I'm pro-Reimu, but I've never played a Touhou. So I'm curious: what does Reimu... do? Like, what are her abilities that might lend themselves to being a moveset?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Crash is in a tight spot, Mii costumes seem legit, and I'm guaranteed to boycott this pass
Honey, boycott it if it has no first parties, not if it has no females!
Just posting this just because of how hilarious it is in retrospect, but here's an anon's wishlist for DLC back in November of last year

https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/438906861/#438944106

It doesn't have Joker, but the fact that it's got everyone else plus the RH duo is funny to me.
Here I thought RH meant Rhythm Heaven here.

*Sigh*.

I mean, even if it's totally Ryu as Fighter 5 and Piranha Plant was the only DLC first party, there could totally be at least one first party that slips through the cracks down the line, right? Maybe out of the foreseeble future of fighters their can be at least one of how many they do that happens to not be licensed from another company?

I just need Rhythm Heaven and I'm good, frankly, though I know other people would like Dixie, Bandana Dee and, feel free to mention others.
View attachment 242897

oh believe me i think i know a few people
Did those people also widely know Famicom Detective Club, which still didn't get a character in Melee because she wouldn't work overseas?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm pro-Reimu, but I've never played a Touhou. So I'm curious: what does Reimu... do? Like, what are her abilities that might lend themselves to being a moveset?
Well, Reimu is a character that relies heavily on spamming projectiles around the screen just like your standard bullet hell game. There are some movesets that have been made, here's one of them:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
It's possible sure.

I don't think she's in the fighter's pass, but as standalone dlc? Absolutely possible.

Besides, there are Touhou games on the ps4, Steam, Switch and the Switch is even getting a mainline entry soon.
Thanks, much better response than this:
Can we all agree that every time we get someone who pretends Touhou literally doesn't exist outside of Japan should give everyone 1 euro?
Never heard of her and people told me nobody knows her except Japan.

Then let me ask you this: do you think Reimu has a better chance than characters like Shovel Knight, Shantae or Sans?

Like I said never heard of her before Ultimate. Maybe we get her because she is Japans most wanted from the ballot or something I dont know...

I just dont see it.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
what are you, a boomer
my apologies, I though they meant boycott as in full out protests, not simply abstaining from buying the pass.

Really bad use of wording on my part.

I feel really stupid right now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom