• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I didn't even know the default skin had a name. Neat.

Anyway, Jonsey would be... A thing. I suppose I have always wanted a terraformer in Smash, and Fortnite is about as terra-formy as you can get.

I sincerely doubt this leak regardless of where or who it comes from. But I'm not about to flat out hate any character, even if I'd rather not have them.
There's actually like, 8 default skins all with different names. Would assume they would use all of them if a Fortnite character does indeed get in.

D

Deleted member

I come back after my classes and al of you were discussing about a possible Fortnite rep. Here are my two centavos regarding the subject:

1. Fortnite in Smash would be a major base-breaker. Now, I am not an avid fan. I did play during the time I was with my cousin who had a Switch before I got mine. On one hand, kudos the the fans who thought their character was quite the meme for some time, and now they're sharing their sentiments with the Undertale fandom, who just got their great-looking Sans costume when everyone thought they wouldn't make it in.

The game has a huge esport following, I get that , but there will be people who are going to be divided over it. One, the game has a vitriol against some of the bigger gaming communities. I've read multiple comments online bashing the game, and to see this game among multiple gaming icons is going to be contentious. On the other hand, it would be great because they have a unique style that in my personal opinion would be just as great as Minecraft Steve. This will attract the players a lot.

2. I just don't know if Sakurai can make the connections with Epic Games. Though this is a possibility since Sakurai tested the waters already. However, this would cause a stir in the esports scene, where LoL, DotA, CSGO, etc, are the major players. Them not having a rep while Fortnite getting in will cause quite the attention. I just...it's a golden rule for Sakurai to get the mascots and big players first. To me, it would seem strange for Sakurai to establish connections with this game company, especially with its shady practices.

In conclusion, my take on teh subject is that I'm perfectly okay with the rep, but at the same time, just look at the salt it'll receive.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Double posting warning issued
Here’s a fun game: if for the next pass you got your most wanted, but the other 4 were your least wanted, and you HAD to buy the full ps ago get your most wanted, would you do it?
My least wanted a are goku, tracer, Fortnite guy and Dixie Kong and I would still take that odd if it meant I got Sackboy
Well my most wanted would have to be Sgt. Cortez as always since Banjo & Kazooie's announcement and the four my least wanted would be...

Dovahkiin > Steve > Reimu > Jonesy

... I think it's time for me to let him go... ;^(

This took a little while. Anyways, if you could promote ONE assist trophy into a fighter, who'd it be? I'd pick Zero.
Gotta give one to the Isaac boys. Even as a Sword fighter, he'd be pretty neat.

Also Sabi posted this on their twitter feed.

The brew leak.jpg

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I don't trust any leaks that sounds like it was written by Masahiro Sakurai's most trusted employee.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
It's still troubling that we call unfounded rumors "leaks", as if every single one of them was true until proven otherwise.

Also, pretty unfair to pin a number of modern evils onto Fortnite, when such things can be traced back to Dota 2, an older and primer example of an absolutely free game buoyed by infinite purchasable cosmetics. Dota 2 is also the true originator of the battle pass system, having baited millions into inflating its yearly prize pools with plenty of once-in-a-lifetime digital hats. Fortnite may possess some egregious examples, but it's hardly the exclusive source of that problem when the likes of Fate Grand Order, Clash of Clans, and plenty of other shameless (and older) free-to-play games are guilty of the same.

And since it has to be said again: Fortnite is not getting into Smash this early. If Steve cannot beat Banjo to the punch, then Jonesy is not going to be a character before Doomslayer, Master Chief, or even Heavy.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Jonesy is such an eye-catcher no one bothered to pause and question how ridiculous it is that a Scribblenauts character would be getting in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also Sabi posted this on their twitter feed.

Remember seeing those edits on /v/, at this point if we are going around conspiracy theories, you could also make one that has Sabi making the fake leak just to have someone to blame if Jonesy or Ryu H. don't get in.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 242118
Are we legitimately supposed to be taking this seriously?
It's pretty obvious it's fake news. We're still in the middle of the month. I doubt anything legitimate would come forward this season. Also, again with Fortnite. First this guys stuck the Hayabusa tag just to haul over some of the fans, then at the moment he mentioned Jonesy and Claire is when all the validity went down the drain. For all I know, Sakurai doesn't just waltz in to Epic Games. And if we're getting RE reps, Jill or Chris is the most logical.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Glad to see we're back to actual speculation.

That said... I don't really believe the Brew leak - or rather the "fake Brew" 4chan leak that apparently wasn't even from the same guy. Strangely enough, the characters that make me doubt this are Maxwell and Claire, not even Jonesy. :laugh:

It seems that his claims about Hayabusa still stand, though (as in, they were actually made by him and haven't been disproven yet). The Fortnite thing he posted on Twitter afterwards seems to just be a joke, though.

SKX31

Smash Master
It's still troubling that we call unfounded rumors "leaks", as if every single one of them was true until proven otherwise.

Also, pretty unfair to pin a number of modern evils onto Fortnite, when such things can be traced back to Dota 2, an older and primer example of an absolutely free game buoyed by infinite purchasable cosmetics. Dota 2 is also the true originator of the battle pass system, having baited millions into inflating its yearly prize pools with plenty of once-in-a-lifetime digital hats. Fortnite may possess some egregious examples, but it's hardly exclusive source of that problem when the likes of Fate Grand Order, Clash of Clans, and plenty of other shameless (and older) free-to-play games are guilty of the same.

And since it has to be said again: Fortnite is not getting into Smash this early. If Steve cannot beat Banjo to the punch, then Jonesy is not going to be a character before Doomslayer, Master Chief, or even Heavy.
I usually trace that back to at least TF2 since that game was one of the first to truly include cosmetic hats bought via microtransactions by the bucketloads. I think it's rather telling that EA Sports shifted into its Ultimate Team model not long after TF2 showed that it's possible to monetize the games long term. Not saying Dota 2 is anywhere near innocent here, I'll fully agree that it has helped encourage the purchasable cosmetics as well as inventing the battle pass system. Amaterasu, for example, is one of the once-in-a-lifetime hats (a courier, to be more precise) in Dota 2 (released to promote Okami HD on Steam, natch). LoL's system of "Pay to unlock champions etc. permanently, instead of grinding in-game currency" also played a part.

Now, if a game is indeed chosen for Smash it's never going to be about stuff like monetization. But that stuff always hangs in the background, like you said with the games you mentioned.

D

Deleted member

Glad to see we're back to actual speculation.

That said... I don't really believe the Brew leak - or rather the "fake Brew" 4chan leak that apparently wasn't even from the same guy. Strangely enough, the characters that make me doubt this are Maxwell and Claire, not even Jonesy. :laugh:

It seems that his claims about Hayabusa still stand, though (as in, they were actually made by him and haven't been disproven yet). The Fortnite thing he posted on Twitter afterwards seems to just be a joke, though.
Same. Though...*checks pocket for the female discussion topic*

Hayabusa been in too many leaks that I highly doubt his inclusion. I've seen enough. Just place the Hayabusa sticker and boom! Instant fan flocking!

They're all just glorified advertisements.

Even so, I'll still stay by my stand.

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hayabusa been in too many leaks that I highly doubt his inclusion. I've seen enough. Just place the Hayabusa sticker and boom! Instant fan flocking!

I mean... something to keep in mind is that Brew (who called PP and is now posting about Hayabusa) and the 4chan poster (Jonesy & crew) are not the same person. So Hayabusa is actually the one character that is kinda plausible in the entire rumor lol.

I'm obviously taking this with a grain of salt, but... yeah. Let's wait to see how this develops. Thankfully we're halfway through October already.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Same. Though...*checks pocket for the female discussion topic*

Agreed. That's why I think we won't get Banjo, he's in like every "leak" ever.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Remember seeing those edits on /v/, at this point if we are going around conspiracy theories, you could also make one that has Sabi making the fake leak just to have someone to blame if Jonesy or Ryu H. don't get in.
Yeah but when have Smash fans ever done that for people lying? When it ended up being real, see Grinch and the SNK leak

D

Deleted member

I mean... something to keep in mind is that Brew (who called PP and is now posting about Hayabusa) and the 4chan poster (Jonesy & crew) are not the same person. So Hayabusa is actually the one character that is kinda plausible in the entire rumor lol.

I'm obviously taking this with a grain of salt, but... yeah. Let's wait to see how this develops. Thankfully we're halfway through October already.
It's very clear leak season has begun. I've set my standards to the lowest **** possible. While I take this with a grain of salt, I'll not let my eyes deceive me. If the inevitable happens..."No Women, No Buy!"

Yeah but when have Smash fans ever done that for people lying? When it ended up being real, see Grinch and the SNK leak
We still haven't found the mastermind yet. But all I know is...there are sharks in these waters...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's very clear leak season has begun. I've set my standards to the lowest **** possible. While I take this with a grain of salt, I'll not let my eyes deceive me. If the inevitable happens..."No Women, No Buy!"

We still haven't found the mastermind yet. But all I know is...there are sharks in these waters...
Yeah we have it's mariotehplumber

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To reiterate something from a few days ago: I'm still curious about the Tales trademark. Not the text one, but the "save" emblem.

The feather is similar to the cursors in some of the games, apparently. I searched for the save point icons, as perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83 said, but it's just the book, without the feather, at least in Vesperia. So even if there's a bigger chance that it isn't Smash-related at all, I wonder what that icon will be for...

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
An infamous troll, the guy who bought 1000 Rosalina amiibo to make sure people who like her could never get one, etc. He's also likely the guy behind the whole Google Theory thing as he has a ****ton of disposable income somehow
This guy is the biggest loser all this to be an ass

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

An infamous troll, the guy who bought 1000 Rosalina amiibo to make sure people who like her could never get one, etc. He's also likely the guy behind the whole Google Theory thing as he has a ****ton of disposable income somehow
Hahahahahah! Pitiable. Famewhore. Attention-seeker.

But in all seriousness, I'm tossing my rock salt on this one. Definitely not believing it's real, let's just wait for Nintendo Ninjas to gank 'em, or Nintendo to do the leakibg themselves, or Vergeben to say the final word.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I mean, he clearly has a more succesful life than most, if not all of us
Just putting it out there, if I ever had the disposable income to buy 1,000 Rosalina amiibo for a joke, I'd probably do something which would actually help people instead?

D

Deleted member

Just putting it out there, if I ever had the disposable income to buy 1,000 Rosalina amiibo for a joke, I'd probably do something which would actually help people instead?
Yeah, like I dunno, USE THE MONEY TO HELP FIX THE PHILIPPINES' **** TRAFFIC PROBLEM nah jk.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Btw quick question, what characters other than Sol or Dante could you guys think of that have self buffs/installs?
sol-glowred.gif

This is one of my favourite things in fighting games after all yet it rarely seems to be discussed. I heard Terry could potential bring in Max Mode like how Geese had it in Tekken 7

D

Deleted member

My point is that this whole mess of just making a game of this dude's lying and just damage controlling is kinda just dragging a corpse at this point, which given how Sabi already lied before it wouldn't surprise me that she just wants to drag this the most she can.

I don't think we should be focusing on it too much with only a few weeks before Terry and the possible fighter 5 reveal, as pretty much Hayabusa not being fighter 5 or if his reveal happens in November would pretty much kill the leak.

D

Deleted member

Yo this dumb-ass spent 13,000 dollars on amiibos?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Fame *****.
May want to edit that to avoid yourself a censor-dodging infraction. ;)
Btw quick question, what characters other than Sol or Dante could you guys think of that have self buffs/installs?
View attachment 242120
This is one of my favourite things in fighting games after all yet it rarely seems to be discussed. I heard Terry could potential bring in Max Mode like how Geese had it in Tekken 7
Not much of an answer, but I really wish Lucas had Offense-up like he did in Project M, considering that it would actually be canon.
Shovel Knight or Alucard.
You like MF DOOM and therefore I love you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 242120
Oh Gwen. You're not ready for the GENO BOOST!

200px-RPG_Geno_Boost.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom