• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

To a certain point, sure....

But compare Joker, Banjo, or San's reveal in Smash compared to Terry's or even Hero's.

You can't deny that some characters create a bigger hysteria when added to Smash than others.
Even so there may be people who might be so genuinely excited, and we'll give them that.

D

Deleted member

To a certain point, sure....

But compare Joker, Banjo, or San's reveal in Smash compared to Terry's or even Hero's.

You can't deny that some characters create a bigger hysteria when added to Smash than others.
I mean, depends on where you live. Japan pretty much reacted how the west did to Banjo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
You know? I genuinely try to be really open to basically everything and point out the importance of sales to expanding to a wider audience... but everyone gets one in my mind too, and **** FORTNITE AND IT'S UTTERLY TOXIC INFLUENCE ON THE INDUSTRY. Nope, this is my line, this is the one I will rage against with fiery passion. You can put COD in, you can put Steve in, you can put 30 irrelevant Nintendo characters in, but Fortnite is my goddamn line and I'm sticking hard on that. Just nope. Nope. ****ing nope.
Honestly, between Epic's ****ty business practices, and how exploitative Fortnite is with its greedy monetization, I'm inclined to agree. Sure, on the one hand it's kinda this generation's Pokémon or Minecraft, but on the other hand. . . it's honestly worse than those other two, because at least those weren't designed in such a way that they deliberately pulled every penny outta your pockets.
Hype is subjective.

For me, Ryu Hayabusa is a big enough character to end the fighters pass on a well note, of course this feeling is not shared by everyone. But I just want to remind everyone who thinks Ryu Hayabusa is underwhelming and anti-hype that there's a group of people who think he's the best DLC addition so far. There is not a single character that can satisfy everyone.
And then there's of course salty Nintendo fans like me who don't think that there have been any "hype" additions at all on this Fighter Pass, and haven't even bought the stupid thing or any of those fighters individually.

Different tastes and all that.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
you could say the same thing about minecraft 6-7 years ago

also damn what did epic games do that outshines the blizzard fiasco
Minecraft was just a different genre that influenced games around it and survivalist/crafting games.

Fortnite literally works it employees to burnout near constantly, has introduced the "Battle Pass" which has spread like wildfire across other Games as a Service and is literally one of my most hated things in video games because you pay to grind out a game for the sake of ****ty virtual items, it has introduced bullying through its skin economy, and it is somewhat indirectly responsible for ruining Call of Duty: Zombies (long story that comes down to Activision ditching tons of work on Black Ops 4 to chase the Battle Royale trend that broke the rest of the game and resulted in a ****ty ending for a storyline and game mode I had been invested in for almost a decade). It's existence has also enabled Epic to blow loads of money on an inferior product to try to challenge Steam that has bought exclusivity contracts from major publishers in the name of greed and also has resulted in kickstarted projects that promised Steam support losing their Steam support.

I've played a fair amount of it with friends, but that's because it was the only thing we could all play together on for a while. I've watched Epic consistently also make their own game worse in that time to the point where they've largely sucked any enjoy-ability out of it and I stand by the idea that Battle Royales are one of the game genres that most quickly stagnate due to their reliance on randomness and inability to break out of their core game design.

This isn't just me hating the new "hip" thing, this is a genuine informed opinion that I've arrived after having played the game and taken stock of its influence on the industry. And Fortnite is largely responsible for normalizing a ton of it and proving it's an unfortunately profitable model of business. So yeah, I ****ing hate Fortnite with a fiery passion. Minecraft was leagues better as a product from day one.

D

Deleted member

At this point I think it's safe to say that Ryu Hayabusa is the fifth fighter in the fighters pass. I don't know if the rest of this leak is right or not, but way too many things are pointing towards Hayabusa. Especially that earlier Sakurai tweet where he supposedly used the ninja kanji.
A few things are pointing at him but a few are not as concrete as others, apart from Ryu is there any other possible ninja?

Kasumi was shot down by the developer, Strider Hiryuu would be a bit weird, Joe Musashi would be cool but doubtful with Joker in the pass, Raiden maybe but doubt we would get content from MGS.
What even is everyone's opinion on Hayabusa?

I was supporting the guy pre-DLC season and now with literally everything talking about him and having him magically get in the spotlight, it seems really weird for him to suddenly be popular.
It's funny, he feels kinda like Hero in regards that people are pretty much with cool he is coming but with the lack of a datamine or Vergeben support to back him. Wouldn't surprise me if he happens and I would like him, but I kinda see him more in S2 or post fighter pass for some reason.

D

Deleted member

And then there's of course salty Nintendo fans like me who don't think that there have been any "hype" additions at all on this Fighter Pass, and haven't even bought the stupid thing or any of those fighters individually.

Different tastes and all that
Yes. To each is her/his own. Not everyone will be pleased. No female DLC? Time to boycott.

A few things are pointing at him but a few are not as concrete as others, apart from Ryu is there any other possible ninja?

Kasumi was shot down by the developer, Strider Hiryuu would be a bit weird, Joe Musashi would be cool but doubtful with Joker in the pass, Raiden maybe but doubt we would get content from MGS
*evil chuckle* No wonder they made Sheik so low-tier as possible.

D

Deleted member

A real shocker would be a ninja from Samurai Warriors like Kunoichi or Hanzo Hattori, but I can't really imagine that happening.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Hype is subjective.

For me, Ryu Hayabusa is a big enough character to end the fighters pass on a well note, of course this feeling is not shared by everyone. But I just want to remind everyone who thinks Ryu Hayabusa is underwhelming and anti-hype that there's a group of people who think he's the best DLC addition so far. There is not a single character that can satisfy everyone.
I really like every character in the pass. I only bought it after I knew I liked 3/5 (and cus Banjo) and have been crossing my fingers the last 2 will be picks I like. Whilst I'll admit that Terry wouldn't be my first pick in terms of bringing something new to the game, having played Garou now I am all in.

Ryu Hayabusa would be the perfect end and whilst I could quibble with certain niches not being filled, its a collection of 5 characters that represent what Smash should be all about when it comes to third parties.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Mortal Kombat is literally banned in Japan. It's not getting in, especially when Tekken is still left if we need a third fighting game series.
I cant wait until somehow the full blood moon comes out on a tuesday night while the stars align, and when pigs fly for Scorpion to actually get in and these constant "lol mk banned japan its not happening" posts get blown up hard

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I'm very skeptical from anything coming from 4chan, especially since fake leaks are posted there all the time.

I was supporting the guy pre-DLC season and now with literally everything talking about him and having him magically get in the spotlight, it seems really weird for him to suddenly be popular.
I think he (alongside Doomguy/Doom Slayer) gained (major) traction after a fake leak was posted as seen here, but I'm not sure. (Can't load the actual link because it's banned in my country.) Anyways, I don't know much about Ninja Gaiden, but Hayabusa seems cool.
I know theres not alot of ppl in here who believe that the Fighters Pass is gonna end with a megaton fuc**n bomb of a character announcement for its end..... but im tryna STAY HYPED.

In my humble opinion, Hayabusa would not be a megaton bomb.

Crash? Spyro? DoomGuy? Dark Souls? DMC? Witcher? Assassins Creed? Sora? Master Chief? Megaton Bombs.
Master Chief definitely, and Sora very likely. The rest would get moderate to no hype.
Reminder that Smash cycles almost never ended on an objectivity hype reveal

Olimar in Brawl,
Shulk in 4 base,
Bayo in 4 DLC,
Incineroar in Ultimate base

we've never really had an earth shattering character as our final reveal and I don't expect the fighter's pass to be any different.
Eh... true. I mean yes, hype is subjective. However, there's always been more craze about the fighters before the final reveal than the final reveal. (Snake, Mega Man, Cloud, Ridley, etc.)
Here’s a fun game: if for the next pass you got your most wanted, but the other 4 were your least wanted, and you HAD to buy the full ps ago get your most wanted, would you do it?
My least wanted a are goku, tracer, Fortnite guy and Dixie Kong and I would still take that odd if it meant I got Sackboy
My most wanted is Dante.
Eh... fine. I'll take Tracer and Waluigi if it meant I get Dante. No one else I loathe (as far as Smash), although I'd rather see Byleth than Edelgard so I'll throw Edelgard in there I guess. Also, as much as I am cool with the idea of Steve, I hate Steveposters so I guess he's in too.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Do we think that Nintendo will reveal another fighter at the VGAs? It DOES line up with their Feb 2020 schedule...

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Humor my selfish desire and let's entertain this leak and assume it's real for a second. How would you all feel about these characters being the DLC choices?

Plank08

Smash Lord
I saw a moveset idea about him having multiple different weapons, like a sword, nunchucks, and wolverine claws and it looked pretty cool.
Fortnite would bring it’s toxic community into smash and I know we already have toxic community’s and smash as a whole kind of is a toxic community but still, but the Fortnite guy could actually have a cool moveset based on all the weapons in the game.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Humor my selfish desire and let's entertain this leak and assume it's real for a second. How would you all feel about these characters being the DLC choices?
I'd be happy for Ryu Hayabusa despite all my knowledge coming from one game and a Zen Pinball table.
Jonesy would be the first character I dislike. Mostly because I never played Fortnite.
Claire I know would probably be fine, but where's my Dino Crisis character?
Maxwell could have a fun moveset
And Chosen Undead may be the weakest character in the game.

D

Deleted member

I'd be happy for them. A great pass, but it's still lacking.

D

Deleted member

Time to play catch up.

I think something thats pretty important to note regarding the Shifty leak is that very soon after that "leak", Hayabusa was announced to join a game with "Ultimate" in its title.

Its quite possible that Shifty's sources heard "hayabusa" and "ultimate" and got the news mixed up
Wouldn't think too much on this logic. People used this argument against Erdrick leaks when Dai was announced for Jump Force around the same time.

I'm just indifferent beyond him being a potentially cool ninja. Ninjas are cool.
Keeping mind that this guy apparently also leaked PP and Banjo (neither of which are really achievements tbh) remember the guy who got all the details about Hero right and then started talking about how a female fighting game character would be next? And then we got Terry?
Or Hitagi, who said Banjo was never discussed and also claimed Katalina, Steve and a Nintendo Swordfighter were coming, the former of which they also even backtracked on?
Just because somebody got something right in the past doesn't mean they're always going to be right.
IamShifty is bizarre. Why is he only now leaking stuff after Piranha Plant and the bosses?
I don't know if this has already been brought up, but Sabi recently posted this to PapaGenos' and her own Discord:

This Facebook link was also posted alongside it.

Sabi also further commented on it. Here are some interesting tidbits. I'm using quotes since image uploads are broken for the umpteenth time.

While no Sora is disappointing, I ****ing love Scribblenauts so Maxwell would more than make up for that.
A load of horse ****. No credible leaker has even guessed four fighters on this pass correctly. Gonna hit it with the doubt.

Though Scribblenauts would be lit. That game is great.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Ryu and Claire are cool, although I wish it'd be Chris or Jill instead of Claire.
Fortnite can **** off though.

D

Deleted member

Hayabusa: Kind of expected at this point, but he'd be a cool ninja. He's also an NES icon, and I always respect those.
Fortnite: Uggggggggggggggggggggh. I mean, I like the default dance as a meme, but I don't want it in Smash. Blowing up the internet is not worth it for this.
Claire: Why her? You'd think Chris, Leon, or Jill would be the reps given how they're the main trio. I'm down for RE in Smash, but I'm also confused.
Maxwell: Yes!
Dark Souls: Sure. Gives me a good excuse to try the series out.

No Geno kind of kills my account, but at least DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon goes down with me on Sora.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Hayabusa: I'd be kinda dissapointed that we got the one everyone and their mother was predicting, but I'd probably get over it immediately after seeing him in action
Jonesy: I don't like Fortnite, but I'd laugh my ****ing ass off because of the amount of salt it would create. I want him to be Brawl Meta Knight levels of game-breaking so we can live in a world where ****ing Fortnite Jonesy dominates the metagame and you have people flossing on each other at tournaments. Only problem is I really don't want Ninja to become a prominent figure in the Smash community
Claire: I'd be confused as to why they chose her over Jill or Leon, but I'd be cool with her anyway because she's my favorite RE protagonist
Maxwell: Don't know enough about Scribblenauts to form an opinion on him, but I'd be interested to see how he plays
Chosen Undead: Dark Souls is cool and I'm probably one of the few people who sees them as among the most likely Bamco reps, so I'd be fine with it

Overall, I'd be okay with this DLC lineup, but the choices here are so goddamn weird that it'd be interesting to see how people would react to this lineup, especially Jonesy.

D

Deleted member

Jonesy: I don't like Fortnite, but I'd laugh my ****ing *** off because of the amount of salt it would create. I want him to be Brawl Meta Knight levels of game-breaking so we can live in a world where ****ing Fortnite Jonesy dominates the metagame and you have people flossing on each other at tournaments.
Some people just want to watch the world burn while default dancing.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Ryu is in fantastic side scrollers, hack n slashes, and 3D fighting games.

Old Ninja Gaiden: fantastic yet challenging action platformer that utilized revolutionary cinematic cutscenes.

Modern Ninja Gaiden: Produced some of the best action games ever made. Deserves all of its praise.

Dead or Alive: Solid 3D fighter with interactive environments and an intuitive counter/hold system that punishes spam and allows comebacks at any time (if you're skilled enough). Also has fun tag team mechanics at times.

Ryu's resume is not only well above average, the dude represents more than one type of game (and I didn't even throw in things like his Warriors Orochi cameos). An old quote I read on here sums it up best "He's THE gaming ninja. That's quite an accomplishment in and of itself."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ryu is in fantastic side scrollers, hack n slashes, and 3D fighting games.

Old Ninja Gaiden: fantastic yet challenging action platformer that utilized revolutionary cinematic cutscenes.

Modern Ninja Gaiden: Produced some of the best action games ever made. Deserves all of its praise.

Dead or Alive: Solid 3D fighter with interactive environments and an intuitive counter/hold system that punishes spam and allows comebacks at any time (if you're skilled enough). Also has fun tag team mechanics at times.

Ryu's resume is not only well above average, the dude represents more than type of game (and I didn't even throw in things like his Warriors Orochi cameos). An old quote I read on here sums it up best "He's THE gaming ninja. That's an accomplishment in and of itself."
Yeah, kudos to him. And I'm here preparing my tissue in case the world ends for me.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
ChaosZero and peers, Gematsu, Ninka/Vaanrose, and Vergeben would all love to have a word with you.
They can all file their words in this here box labeled "lucky guessers".

Apparently, this guy leaked everything from the latest Nindies and said Terry Bogard was in Smash after the SNK leak.
Whoa now. Did he really go ALL the way out on that limb?!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've prepared for the worst already...

Pimples? Zero.
Blackheads? Zero.
Expectations for Fighter 5? Zero!

Stupid server error won't let me upload a meme.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Ryu Hayabusa = Good
Jonesy = Remove this awful thing from Super Smash Bros!
Claire = An odd pick but compared to the rest of the characters in this supposed line up of extra DLC, she is the best character of this additional DLC. It'd be weird not to have Chris, Leon and Jill.
Maxwell = I don't know how he could have a moveset and i don't find him very interesting as a character.
The Chosen Undead = Quite possibly the most boring out of the bunch. He would mostly just be Hero but with even less charm.

Overall, besides Ryu Hayabusa and Claire to an extent, this would be pretty tone deaf if this was supposed to "please and satisfy" the fans.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It's also worth pointing out that this whole leak is one of the worst case scenarios for me all around too:

Ryu Hayabusa - The good part of this leak. I actually want him.

Jonesy - Yeah, literal anti-christ and all of that like I mentioned.

Claire - Just why? Why, when you have the more important and IMO better Resident Evil characters right there. I've grown attached to the ideas of Jill
Valentine and Leon Kennedy, and I'm pretty OK with Chris Redfield. This just makes no sense and is the thing that kills the leak the most I think.

Maxwell - I've got no real love for Scribblenauts... he's an OK addition, but pretty much the character equivalent of anime filler to me. Such a weird pick for another Western rep (and like to pick Jonesy and Maxwell as your Western reps besides Banjo & Kazooie communicates a ****ing massive misunderstanding of Western characters I feel, but yeah).

Chosen Undead - Ughhhhh.... WHY? SOLAIRE WAS RIGHT THERE!!! I just think Chosen Undead is also the epitome of "Sakurai has to choose the main character, so it'll be him" when Dark Souls has so many amazing and interesting characters with great stories and more unique abilities...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The ''leak'' is so fake. I was reading it and when I saw "Claire" I was "ha, nice joke".
Nothing against Claire, I like her more than Chris for example. But if Smash gets a Resident Evil character it wouldn't be Claire and I'm 100% sure of that. It would be like, I don't know, include Guile before Ryu. Doesn't make sense. The guy who wrote that probably searched for the cover of the latest Resident Evil game (RE2make) and thought "okay, that girl".

But...

Not that I entertain the leak, but: remember we got four Heroes while expecting Erdrick. Claire being "Claire plus three others" isn't impossible.
I can see this. In any case I wouldn't bet my money in this leak, I don't think repeating the same formula with Resident Evil characters would work really well. I mean, I would be totally fine if Sakurai includes Leon, Jill, Chris and Claire. That would be the best, but I don't think they would work really well as alts.

Maybe time will prove me wrong.

Then they confirm Sol Badguy and you go "Is this a Nintendo?"
Maybe it's only me, but I saw a lot of mentions for Sol (or an ArcSys rep in general) in the last pages with the 5 new companies thing. Of course it doesn't mean anything but it surprises me a bit.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Some people just want to watch the world burn while default dancing.
When you already have your most wanted in the game, You can't really be mad at whatever the hell Sakurai puts in the game. There's still plenty of characters I'd love to see, but at this point I'm just along for Sakurai's Wild Ride. If that ride ends up taking us down Tilted Towers, then so be it.

D

Deleted member

When you already have your most wanted in the game, You can't really be mad at whatever the hell Sakurai puts in the game. There's still plenty of characters I'd love to see, but at this point I'm just along for Sakurai's Wild Ride. If that ride ends up taking us down Tilted Towers, then so be it.
People are going to get so tilted at the towers.

What the hell is a Hayabusa anyway?
Don't know. Unrelated, but have you looked in a mirror lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom