• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What even is everyone's opinion on Hayabusa?

I was supporting the guy pre-DLC season and now with literally everything talking about him and having him magically get in the spotlight, it seems really weird for him to suddenly be popular.
A fantastic choice and great end to the FP. Represents a legendary and amazing series, has fantastic moveset potential, and is an NES icon.

Also he d e s e r v e s it.

D

Deleted member

Humor my selfish desire and let's entertain this leak and assume it's real for a second. How would you all feel about these characters being the DLC choices?
ngl, I find this lineup disappointing even with 1 of the characters I've been hoping for.

-The biggest con with Hayabusa was that he shifted (no pun intended) from being a bit of a sleeper pick to becoming the most predictable character after Terry's inclusion which inevitably lead to people either not feeling hyped about his potential inclusion or actually hoping for him to not be in Smash. I still really like Hayabusa, but it makes me sad to think about that.
-I can't get behind Jonesy because Fortnite is way oversaturated for me. Smash would benefit having a huge character in Smash, but like a lot of huge games like Overwatch and Minecraft, Fortnite doesn't really benefit from having a character in Smash since a ****load of people already know about it and already has recognition in a lot of other ways like awards and being a cultural phenonemon. I prefer smaller or lesser known titles to be in Smash because they actually benefit more from its inclusion than a character from a huge game.
-Claire is an oddball since she isn't Jill or Leon, but I guess I can't really be upset about it if I wanted Chris Redfield in Smash as the RE rep. I'm not really big into seeing Resident Evil in Smash, but I'll end up being more accepting with its inclusion than I would with other large franchises.
-Maxwell just doesn't appeal to me. That's all I have to say.
-Dark Souls is a slow and very punishing game, and the thought of a character who'd basically be reverse Joker isn't for me. Maybe I'd be wrong about that, but I think Dark Souls would best be repped with a boss like Monster Hunter, which that won't happen anytime soon.

This is probably the most negative I've been in this thread, and I'm not gonna lie and say "I got my character so I don't care who gets in next" because I have even more characters I want to see in Smash. I'm sure I'm the only 1 that feels that way either.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The ''leak'' is so fake. I was reading it and when I saw "Claire" I was "ha, nice joke".
Nothing against Claire, I like her more than Chris for example. But if Smash gets a Resident Evil charater it wouldn't be Claire and I'm 100% sure of that. It would be like, I don't know, include Guile before Ryu. Doesn't make sense. The guy who wrote that probably searched for the cover of the latest Resident Evil game (RE2make) and thought "okay, that girl".

But...

I can see this. In any case I wouldn't bet my money in this leak, I don't think repeating the same formula with Resident Evil characters would work really well. I mean, I would be totally fine if Sakurai includes Leon, Jill, Chris and Claire. That would be the best, but I don't think they're would work really well as alts.

Maybe time will prove me wrong.

Maybe it's only me, but I saw a lot of mentions for Sol (or an ArcSys rep in general) in the last pages with the 5 new companies thing. Of course it doesn't mean anything but it surprises me a bit.
Thank you for actually processing the information on a thorough level.

I dunno why but identifying fake leaks may help me someday in college

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
When you already have your most wanted in the game, You can't really be mad at whatever the hell Sakurai puts in the game. There's still plenty of characters I'd love to see, but at this point I'm just along for Sakurai's Wild Ride. If that ride ends up taking us down Tilted Towers, then so be it.
"You already have a character you want, you don't get to have opinions about what happens after!"

SNEKeater

Smash Master
About Jonesy I don't think he will happen. I think Sakurai would prefer to wait a little longer before including a Fortnite rep because I mean, the game's still popular and all that, and that has it's merit, but it could lose popularity in any moment like happened with PUBG and other temporal hits.
I see Sakurai going for Minecraft before Fortnite. Minecraft has prove it's popularity and legacy even if you don't like the game.

I wouldn't be offended if Sakurai includes Jonesy, I'd prefer at least 20-30 characters before him but I'm not against him. Same with Steve. But I don't think Sakurai would pick Fortnite, at least right now. In the future? If Fortnite stills being popular, yeah, of course.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

-The biggest con with Hayabusa was that he shifted (no pun intended) from being a bit of a sleeper pick to becoming the most predictable character after Terry's inclusion which inevitably lead to people either not feeling hyped about his potential inclusion or actually hoping for him to not be in Smash. I still really like Hayabusa, but it makes me sad to think about that.
Perhaps the same could be said of Doomguy. Y'all should've went for him back when DLC was being planned and then the rchan leak happened, and now you're all over the place.

I'll just tag along. Hopefully this'll lead me to God knows where.

Looks like not everyone has their dreams fulfilled in the end.

D

Deleted member

Just a thought. Isn't the current lack of KT content in the game quite strange? Im not referring to the DoA, NG, DW or SW. But given that we have Fatal Frame on the game as it is owned half by Nintendo to my knowledge, isn't the lack of HW, FEW and Three Houses even as spirits a bit strange given that we have content from the Oracle games that were developed by Capcom?

Like TH could be explained if there's a fighter coming, but the lack of spirits from 2 relatively popular spinoffs seem kinda strange. Wonder if we would get spirits of those games if and after Hayabusa gets in the game.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I've been saying If we get a resident evil character they could all be alts for each other and just use there og looks
Chris could be 1 and 5 look
Jill 1 and 3 look
Leon 2 and 4 look
Claire 2 and Code Veronica look I've never played that one so
Don't really know how they'd make it work but if this was the outcome not bad

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just a thought. Isn't the current lack of KT content in the game quite strange? Im not referring to the DoA, NG, DW or SW. But given that we have Fatal Frame on the game as it is owned half by Nintendo to my knowledge, isn't the lack of HW, FEW and Three Houses even as spirits a bit strange given that we have content from the Oracle games that were developed by Capcom?

Like TH could be explained if there's a fighter coming, but the lack of spirits from 2 relatively popular spinoffs seem kinda strange. Wonder if we would get spirits of those games if and after Hayabusa gets in the game.
Koei Tecmo would love their content getting in, that's what I see.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To a certain point, sure....

But compare Joker, Banjo, or San's reveal in Smash compared to Terry's or even Hero's.

You can't deny that some characters create a bigger hysteria when added to Smash than others.
implying Hero didn't make Japan have an earthquake just from people hyping it up

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
"You already have a character you want, you don't get to have opinions about what happens after!"
I was just talking about my own experiences. I understand if anyone else hates the idea of Jonesy, but I'm personally in a place where I'm satisfied with the roster and can't really get upset with whatever happens next. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough about that in my wording.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I've been saying If we get a resident evil character they could all be alts for each other and just use there og looks
Chris could be 1 and 5 look
Jill 1 and 3 look
Leon 2 and for look
Claire 2 and Code Veronica look I guess I've never played that one so
Don't really know how they'd make it work but if this was the outcome not bad
the plot twist is that it's Ethan all along and RE7 is getting a true, non-cloud based port to Switch :secretkpop:

D

Deleted member

Main issue with the RE protagonists as skins of each other, is that Hero is pretty much a blank state so they can get away with the same expressions for each skin. Claire, Jill, Chris and Leon would need to have the Simon and Richter treatment for them to work.

D

Deleted member

Main issue with the RE protagonists as skins of each other, is that Hero is pretty much a blank state so they can get away with the same expressions for each skin. Claire, Jill, Chris and Leon would need to have the Simon and Richter treatment for them to work.
I mean, they reused most of the expressions, so...

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't know if this has already been brought up, but Sabi recently posted this to PapaGenos' and her own Discord:

This Facebook link was also posted alongside it.

Sabi also further commented on it. Here are some interesting tidbits. I'm using quotes since image uploads are broken for the umpteenth time.

While no Sora is disappointing, I ****ing love Scribblenauts so Maxwell would more than make up for that.
Alright, there's NO way they know that far in advance. And I doubt #5 will be shown at The Game Awards if Terry is coming out in early November which has been rumored for a while.

Also, Jonesy being thrown around is definitely possible but... I don't really trust Sabi anymore so I dunno if I believe that, and the rest? Like I said I can see the first out of Pass character being known but not the other 4.

D

Deleted member

Alright, there's NO way they know that far in advance. And I doubt #5 will be shown at The Game Awards if Terry is coming out in early November which has been rumored for a while.

Also, Jonesy being thrown around is definitely possible but... I don't really trust Sabi anymore so I dunno if I believe that, and the rest? Like I said I can see the first out of Pass character being known but not the other 4.
Thank you for clarifying that, though I have to admit, Hayabusa has his chance. I'm not gonna ne rude anymore, but I've prepared for the worst.

Either way, the discussion is quite fun.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
But then you have Male and Female versions of the Wii Fit Trainers, Robin and Corrin so I don't see why they can't be skins of each other.

having chris and jill be the exact same height would be scary
You have Marth and Lucina at the same height as each other and is as tall as her father and Robin even though she is quite a bit smaller.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You have Marth and Lucina at the same height as each other and is as tall as her father and Robin even though she is quite a bit smaller.
they gotta ****ing take my man chris' kneecaps to make himself jill height

also poor jill and claire, having such large hurtboxes just because of how swole chris is

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Only a coward would be scared of our new Amazonian queen Jill Valentine. Unless you're talking about turning Chris into a manlet, which would actually be ****ing terrifying.
i'm talking about the other way around, assuming they use jill first

D

Deleted member

But then you have Male and Female versions of the Wii Fit Trainers, Robin and Corrin so I don't see why they can't be skins of each other.

You are aware that the examples you mentioned are the same character don't you? WFT, Corrin and Robin are still WFT, Corrin and Robin no matter if they are male or female. Lucina and Marth are different characters, with Lucina being a descendant of the former and she was made an echo. The only current alts that are different characters are Bowser Jr and Alph.

If Sakurai already made Richter an echo of Simon based on having different personalities and mannerisms, I have no doubt it would be the same with the RE protagonists due to having different personalities with each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I am 100000000000% certain there won't be a Smash reveal at the VGAs this year.
The Nintendo bomb shell here will be Zelda BoTW 2
Also that "leak" is straight up ridiculous lmao the first sentence already made me doubt it (on top of the 4chan text post again, how many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man!!)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Humor my selfish desire and let's entertain this leak and assume it's real for a second. How would you all feel about these characters being the DLC choices?
For the sake of this post I'll humor you. :p

Ryu Hayabusa: Pretty great pick, all things considered. Huge legacy, big Nintendo connection dating back to the early years, Izuna Drop...what's not to like?

Jonesy: Wouldn't be able to help but laugh. Default Dance taunt. Plus I mean there's a ton of cool stuff to pull from from Fortnite itself for a moveset, so that's a non-issue.

Claire: Honestly, even more than knowing this much this far in advance, THIS alone is what makes me the most skeptical. However...I'd be all for it. Claire's cool.

Maxwell: My god I love Scribblenauts. Maxwell was always one of my never-ever requests so if he actually got in I'd be ecstatic. Easily my favorite of this hypothetical pass.

Chosen Undead: A Dark Souls character just makes a ton of sense to me. I'd be all for it mainly because one of my friends really wanted him as Smash 4 DLC so it would come full circle.

D

Deleted member

Also that "leak" is straight up ridiculous lmao the first sentence already made me doubt it (on top of the 4chan text post again, how many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man!!)
They'll reveal in the same Direct with Terry Bogard. That's my assumption.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hayabusa - Hell yeah!!
Jonesy - Meh.
Claire - Yeah! If she gets a bunch of alt characters, Hell yeah!!
Maxwell - That's unexpected.
Chosen Undead - That's fine.

A fantastic choice and great end to the FP. Represents a legendary and amazing series, has fantastic moveset potential, and is an NES icon.

Also he d e s e r v e s it.
Hell yeah.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
he says as plant was leaked on 4chan

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Chosen Undead - Ughhhhh.... WHY? SOLAIRE WAS RIGHT THERE!!! I just think Chosen Undead is also the epitome of "Sakurai has to choose the main character, so it'll be him" when Dark Souls has so many amazing and interesting characters with great stories and more unique abilities...
I like Solaire but does he have anything besides a lightning and healing miracles? The player character gets access to a lot more weapons/sorceries/pyromancies/miracles.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
the plot twist is that it's Ethan all along and RE7 is getting a true, non-cloud based port to Switch :secretkpop:
Yo no one can tell me getting the hero treatment but for resident evil wouldn't be awesome we could get Chris Jill Leon and Claire that's just awesome I just hope we can get Dante so I can finally see Bayonetta vs Dante or at least them meet each other officially

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
People aren't actually thinking Fortnite's getting confirmed, right? They know Fortnite's been building up to its own overhaul all this time and that's what the black hole's all about, right?

Oh wait of course not, because lol the internet.

Smash isn't going to give a character slot to a game that floundered on its own initial premise before adopting someone else's gameplay to finally become successful, and that's the end of it. Especially if it's a Western shooter.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Yo no one can tell me getting the hero treatment but for resident evil wouldn't be awesome we could get Chris Jill Leon and Claire that's just awesome I just hope we can get Dante so I can finally see Bayonetta vs Dante or at least them meet each other officially
As much as i'd like to see the other RE characters as alts, varying heights makes that unlikely.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think there'll be a Smash reveal I just don't think it's #5. Judging by the release schedules so far #5 should be out by early January which means they'll likely reveal them alongside Terry's release date in November.

On the other hand, Fighter Pass 2 #1 or whatever should be out around March or April of 2020 which is the same time that Joker was released. And where was Joker revealed? You get my point. Nintendo definitely isn't just limited to 1 announcement per Game Awards and if they know what they're doing they'll put a LOT on this years. BotW2, Metroid Prime 4, Animal Crossing, 2020 is going to be big for Nintendo and it has to be if it wants to compete with the NeXtBox and PS5 next Holiday.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
they gotta ****ing take my man chris' kneecaps to make himself jill height

also poor jill and claire, having such large hurtboxes just because of how swole chris is
You are aware that the examples you mentioned are the same character don't you? WFT, Corrin and Robin are still WFT, Corrin and Robin no matter if they are male or female. Lucina and Marth are different characters, with Lucina being a descendant of the former and she was made an echo.

If Sakurai already made Richter an echo of Simon based on having different personalities and mannerisms, I have no doubt it would be the same with the RE protagonists due to having different personalities with each other.
They could always use Resident Evil 1 Chri...
But Jill can made the same size as swole Chri...
Leon and Claire would totally fit with them bo...

Never mind, my argument was stupid.

D

Deleted member

Ryu - Like him a lot, he just feels a weird choice to close up the fighter's pass. I would imagine he would work better as an opener for a second season pass as I feel that the inevitable fifth fighter is just going to be kinda overshadowed by the first post fighter pass newcomer
Jonesy - Not much of a fan of Fortnite, tried it and it just didn't clicked with me. Overall its a pick that makes sense and would be enjoyable due to the chaos he would bring
Claire - From the 4 most notorious RE leads, she is kinda the weakest in terms of exposure and poularity. Feels weird she was instead of the other 3 but overall she is a good choice, still makes me skeptical
Maxwell - Not much of a Scribblenauts fan, he just feels like so out of the field that in addition to Claire, he makes me very skeptical of the lineup
Chosen Undead - I'm playing through DS and find it quite enjoyable, I would be totally in for him/her in the pass.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I guess I'll also give my two cents on this """""leak""""""

Hayabusa: Hell yeah, obvious pick and the only good one in the leak for me.

Jonesy: I ****ing hate Steve, how do you think I feel about Jonesy?

Claire: I love Claire but her being in over Leon or Jill is wrong.

Maxwell: As much as I adore Scribblenauts and selfishly should love him, he doesn't deserve to be in Smash.

Chosen Undead: I think it would be a very boring character, both looks- and moveset-wise. Dark Souls in Smash has merit, but I stand by my opinion of it being better represented by a stage + boss like Monster Hunter.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Maxwell: As much as I adore Scribblenauts and selfishly should love him, he doesn't deserve to be in Smash.
/QUOTE]

YoU CaNt SaY DeSeRVe!

No OnE "DEseRvEs" To BE In SmAsH

UsE FaCtS FoR ArGuMEnt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom