• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Ugh, don't ruin him with that awful mechanic.

Captain Toad and Toadette can fight on their own just fine.
Toad and Toadette can fight on their own but I feel like he wouldn’t be any more effective than a single Ice Climber. It’s telling when we haven’t even had a Toad Partner in Paper Mario, I feel like the only time they are playable are in games where abilities don’t even matter, such as Mario Kart and Mario Party and as Players 3-4 in the various NSMBs. The only exception is Captain Toad where he can’t even jump.

Sure he can run faster in SMB2 and SM3DW but that’s pretty much it. I feel like his frame and ability set is too small to make him effective on his own, and he’s not even a powerhouse character like Kirby or Ness.

I just think if there were any other “inseparable duo” characters in Smash, Toad and Toadette would fit the best for it.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Toad and Toadette can fight on their own but I feel like he wouldn’t be any more effective than a single Ice Climber. It’s telling when we haven’t even had a Toad Partner in Paper Mario, I feel like the only time they are playable are in games where abilities don’t even matter, such as Mario Kart and Mario Party and as Players 3-4 in the various NSMBs. The only exception is Captain Toad where he can’t even jump.

Sure he can run faster in SMB2 and SM3DW but that’s pretty much it. I feel like his frame and ability set is too small to make him effective on his own, and he’s not even a powerhouse character like Kirby or Ness.
I mean.. you could really say the same for Pichu, the only reason ice climbers are together rid because the game is so based on co-op

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I mean.. you could really say the same for Pichu, the only reason ice climbers are together rid because the game is so based on co-op
Does Pichu have a character he/she could fight with? Also Pichu was made because it was an easy clone, and Pichu does fight in the Pokemon games a lot more than Toad does.
If say, we were talking about Plusle and Minun I could your point.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm actually surprised Fortnite hasn't been given much of a glance in terms of speculation. We talked about Tracer and other relevant characters, yet we forgot about Fortnite of all games. Epic does have a good relationship with Nintendo, so much so that the Nintendo twitter account tweeted about the Fortnite black out. Now does this contribute to a character for Smash Bros? Maybe and maybe not, but I feel like this is an addition that people have overlooked and it might blindside everyone if it happens.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm actually surprised Fortnite hasn't been given much of a glance in terms of speculation. We talked about Tracer and other relevant characters, yet we forgot about Fortnite of all games. Epic does have a good relationship with Nintendo, so much so that the Nintendo twitter account tweeted about the Fortnite black out. Now does this contribute to a character for Smash Bros? Maybe and maybe not, but I feel like this is an addition that people have overlooked and it might blindside everyone if it happens.
The discord I'm in jokes about it pretty regularly. A shooting character with building mechanics sounds pretty fun, especially if all their taunts were the dances from the game.

It's a silly possibility, but hardly the worst thing in the world.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because Fortnite is icky and objectively bad because it's what kids these days like

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wouldn't be the first time people ignoring big games because they didn't play it as a kid in the 90s.

Though considering Dragon Quest is the only huge franchise in the Fighter Pass so far, I wonder if looking at how much games sell is a good idea. There's also the fact that third party selection in this game avoids 21th century franchises like plague.

SKX31

Smash Master
Honestly, I get the impression it's because it's the target of so much scorn. "The new rock n roll" and all that. Really, my biggest objection is that it hasn't had the time to prove it has staying power, but we're at Season 11 (one season per quarter) now. It's looking increasingly likely come to think of it.

I do imagine that Sakurai knows about the Battle Royale genre - but for one weird reason. Knives Out. That BR, developed by the Chinese NetEase, took Japan by storm and even outcompeted Fortnite there. To qoute Sensor Tower:

How popular? Nearly 80 percent of Knives Out’s revenue last year came from Japan, where players spent an estimated $370 [sic*] in the game across the App Store and Google Play.
As for how that impacts Fortnite's chances... eh? Dunno? On one hand, Sakurai himself is likely aware that Fortnite's an international phenomenon, like it or not. But then again, Fortnite's not huge in Japan at all.

Still, even as I dislike the idea of Fortnite Jonesy, I'm not gonna let that affect how I personally view Epic's chances and say that Fortnite's chances of getting in are actually decent-to-good. If it's actually happening, bring it.

*(The article writer completely forgot million here, it's the only way it makes sense)

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Does Pichu have a character he/she could fight with? Also Pichu was made because it was an easy clone, and Pichu does fight in the Pokemon games a lot more than Toad does.
If say, we were talking about Plusle and Minun I could your point.
I mean, Toad HAS been in a lot of Mario games, and even got his own game, so he can definitely fight.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I'm sure Nintendo has the metrics of "how many Switches with Smash installed also have Fortnite" which might sway any future fighters.

Biggest thing holding it back to me (apart from my main issue with a lot of huge Western games) would be the way in which it feels like the younger generations have a fundamentally different relationships to games now. Fortnite being free and having a huge chunk of its player base on mobile and PC is a hugely different market to console buyers who buy full price games and DLC.

D

Deleted member

What part of your post isn't you complaining Street Fighter got in over "more deserving IPs with Nintendo history"
What part of your post isnt putting words in my mouth that I made this claim?

Cloud Strife and Joker (or better yet, PERSONA; which has maybe 2 Nintendo console exclusive games) is in the game can we stop with the "lol they gotta be on nintendo consoles" arguments

Just say you want Amaterasu. You dont need bring up weak arguments to validate your request
Let me run it down for you real quick:

I said I PREFFER different Capcom series getting in over Street Fighter.

You misconstrued it by claiming I said that franchises lacking ties cant get in Smash.

I give you a reality check.

And then you backpeddled with this.

So again, learn how to read.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Fortnite is big, but it doesn't have any big characters. If you think fortnite has a shot, you should be optimistic about Call of Duty.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Fortnite is big, but it doesn't have any big characters. If you think fortnite has a shot, you should be optimistic about Call of Duty.
There really isn't any connection between the two besides being so popular that everyone tried to copy it and were suprised they didn't become just as popular. Both have very different gameplay, strategies, goals, etc

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm sure Nintendo has the metrics of "how many Switches with Smash installed also have Fortnite" which might sway any future fighters.

Biggest thing holding it back to me (apart from my main issue with a lot of huge Western games) would be the way in which it feels like the younger generations have a fundamentally different relationships to games now. Fortnite being free and having a huge chunk of its player base on mobile and PC is a hugely different market to console buyers who buy full price games and DLC.
Is it fundamentally different though? Honestly, Fortnite's biggest strengths are that it's easily accessible (Battle Royale's F2P, the single player campaign Save the World's payed for IIRC) and the game's basics are easy to understand. Like the original arcade Pac-Man, SMB1, Minecraft etc. Hell, KoF was easily accessible in LatAm and owe a lot of its influence there to that.

It's easier to get into a video game nowadays, I'll agree on that, I'm just saying that if a 8 year old can easily get into a game it's decently likely that said 8 year old's going to play said game, whichever genre (s)he likes. Whether on mobile, PC or consoles.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't know, Fortnite just seems like we're going way too far over to the left field. Sure we have Terry and Joker as characters that surprised us but Fortnite feels entirely random to me.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Is it fundamentally different though? Honestly, Fortnite's biggest strengths are that it's easily accessible (Battle Royale's F2P, the single player campaign Save the World's payed for IIRC) and the game's basics are easy to understand. Like the original arcade Pac-Man, SMB1, Minecraft etc. Hell, KoF was easily accessible in LatAm and owe a lot of its influence there to that.

It's easier to get into a video game nowadays, I'll agree on that, I'm just saying that if a 8 year old can easily get into a game it's decently likely that said 8 year old's going to play said game, whichever genre (s)he likes. Whether on mobile, PC or consoles.
Maybe I'm mispeaking, but no one in my friendship circle plays Fortnite, I actually kind of hate playing online multiplayer. But almost every conversation I've had about Fortnite in real life has been with parents of young children who I work with. People who grew up in the 80s with Nintendo and Sega consoles and they feel so out of their depth that their kids own PS4s but are more likely to play the game on their tablets.

It feels like between Fortnite and Minecraft we're reaching a point where there are two hugely different markets. And whilst there will obviously be crossover, there's definitely a reason Nintendo shareholders wanted them to get their IPs on mobile devices.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I initially thought you meant Estelle from Friends

"Joey Tribbiani, my favourite client! I just got a letter addressed to you from this Japanese guy named Sakurai. Apparently, he wants you in this game about brothers or something?"
I myself keep thinking of Estellise Sidos Heurassein from Tales of Vesperia

which, imagine if she got in over Yuri lmao

SKX31

Smash Master
Maybe I'm mispeaking, but no one in my friendship circle plays Fortnite, I actually kind of hate playing online multiplayer. But almost every conversation I've had about Fortnite in real life has been with parents of young children who I work with. People who grew up in the 80s with Nintendo and Sega consoles and they feel so out of their depth that their kids own PS4s but are more likely to play the game on their tablets.

It feels like between Fortnite and Minecraft we're reaching a point where there are two hugely different markets. And whilst there will obviously be crossover, there's definitely a reason Nintendo shareholders wanted them to get their IPs on mobile devices.
That's a good point. Yes, the computer / console and mobile spheres are hugely different. I'm still standing by the point that accessibility makes it much easier on a whim (probably a major reason why arcades were big back in the 70s- early 90), so that might explain why kids lean towards the tablets instead of PS4. IIRC tablets / phones are capable of outputting 720 or even 1080p, so there might not be that much of a loss for the advantage of being able to just pick up the phone and carry the game around for one round or two.*

(*Still, that's one of the reasons I'm very interested in Dota Underlords and its "start one round on the computer, continue seamlessly on the phone or vice versa!" function. And not just because it might get a Switch port down the line, maybe having the same crossplay function intact. That bridge between mobile and the stationary might become more common the coming years, we'll see.)

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Ah the old tried and true "its more popular so that means it has to be in Smash, that's the literal only deciding factor" rule.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Here’s a question: what would you do if your most wanted got in smash?
I would probably change my icon to the Sackboy render, my reaction would be the greatest on the internet, I would not stop reminding you guys, and I would end every post with the Sackboy stock icon.

Small nitpick: Toad is also the strongest character in SMB2, so I would say he could be considered a powerhouse.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I said earlier this year that if Terry got in then I'd write a 10 page essay on SNK.

I'm about 5 pages into it now.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
For starters, aside from totally freaking out, I'd post this in every discussion thread I'm active in (starting with the Style Savvy support thread, of course):

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would probably change my icon to the Sackboy render, my reaction would be the greatest on the internet, I would not stop reminding you guys, and I would end every post with the Sackboy stock icon.
When the DQ8 Hero got in Smash, I really wanted to cry from joy after seeing years of support coming to fruiction.

I sadly couldn't since I'm someone literally unable to cry at all due to stuff from my past.

SKX31

Smash Master
[Instant Main / Secondary] The character would likely be bonkers for one reason or another, but still.

Aside from thanking / worshipping Sakurai and IceFrog, who would in this case be two glorious Mad Lads.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I chose Toadette over Toad because I wanted a Mario Kart stage back, and I thought the appropriate character to bundle with that stage would be the character that made their debut in Mario Kart.

HOWEVER, now that someone said that getting Toadette before Toad would be "a crime against nature", I now retroactively clarify that Toadette would get in first, with Toad only appearing in her Final Smash like Chrom does for Robin. He just stands there looking worried, though, while Toadette does her thing.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
There really isn't any connection between the two besides being so popular that everyone tried to copy it and were suprised they didn't become just as popular. Both have very different gameplay, strategies, goals, etc
My point was that they're both hugely popular franchises without iconic characters.
Buy the game.
Thank you for confirming for Carmen's history with Nintendo though this does bring another question:
How many of these games got localized in Japan and how successful were they?
Maybe you could do a little of your own research.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
We haven't even seen more than 2 moves or other representatives and you're already half way through? I must admit, that's dedication
Admittedly there are some pictures in it and as of now it is double-spaced, though I'll reduce the space size if my page limit goes overboard. I plan to have it finished by the time Terry releases.

Oh and since I'm talking about the essay I might as well make another deal: if Kyo Kusanagi gets into Ultimate as a playable character (mii costume doesn't count). I will purchase all of the King of Fighters games on eShop even though I've played/owned most of them on other systems.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Layton finally made it in I'd be hyped beyond belief, probably more than when I first found out that Toon Link was included all the way back in Brawl and his return in Smash 4.

I'd probably also be a tad sad that I'd have to wait two more month's after the character's confirmation to play as him but hey, I've waited like 6/8 months before I could play the PAL release of Brawl, I'll be fine... (Thanks NoE)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My point was that they're both hugely popular franchises without iconic characters.
Buy the game.

Maybe you could do a little of your own research.
I mean, Fortnite sells quite a bit of merch and I see action figures of it fly off of store shelves, pretty sure that should at least say something about how iconic some of it's cast.is

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
When Joker got into Smash, I was actually beyond estatic. I actually had to stop myself from jumping up and down and yelling about it because my roommate was sleeping, but that did not stop me from screaming about it online and letting all my friends know that Sakurai personally validated me by making my one request a reality. Ngl I feel kind of selfish asking for anything else after that, but if Sakurai's gonna keep the DLC train coming, what's the harm in thinking of any of the other crazy possibilities? Joker is such a tough act to follow thar only other characters I can think of that would get a similar reaction out of me are Kiryu and Jill. Sans also got me extremely hype and if by some miracle a full-fledged Undertale character does happen, I wouldn't be able to control my excitement.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Celebrate at first, and then, in the aftermath be very smug and all "I told you so" towards all the people that claimed we wouldn't get first-party characters in DLC, or that Brexit & Pyrrha are more likely Xenoblade newcomers. Then I'd quote lyrics from Uncontrollable and Black Tar at every given opportunity.

And then Amaterasu would be my most wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom