• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
About your Reimu tidbit... she's not a meme pick in the slightest. Maybe some sites support her in this way, but I assure you that she would probably be a bigger deal to japanese audiences than Lara or Doom Slayer. Touhou is bigger than people give it credit for - I'd even go as far as saying Reimu is one of our best shots at an indie character if you don't count Shovel Knight, Undertale or Shantae.
There's a reason I always say that Touhou is far removed from the Smash bubble. You can go to any anime community in the west and Touhou is about as known there as characters like Ness and Captain Falcon are here. You might find people new to the anime community won't know about Touhou, but anyone who's been into anime and anime games for a substantial length of time has definitely heard of the series and it's characters.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Your reactions?

75. Doom Slayer (Doom)
76. Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
77. Bandanna Waddle Dee (Kirby)
78. Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
79. Ryu Hayabasa (Ninja Gaiden)
80. Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
81. Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
82. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)

36ε - Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
64ε - Octoling (Splatoon)
71ε - Kasumi (Persona 5 Royal)
Whilst I don't exactly know the legitimacy of this, but I'd be OK with the choices even though there are some that I would still like to see in the roster.

Anyways, we'll wait and see since if this prediction does become a reality.

SKX31

Smash Master
Even in the ballot, there were conflicting reports with the number of voters and double voting, so I'd say even that may not account for all of the fanbase.

My point is that yes, fan polls only indicate what a part of the fanbase wants, but the argument that "the silent majority doesn't want this" is null, because we have no way of knowing. Besides, using polls as arguments to talk about the core fanbase is still perfectly acceptable.

... Well, that and an "unbiased poll" seems like a pipe dream to me.
To add to what DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon is saying:

Not everyone's going to hear, for example, Sakurai shutting down Goku, so that's why there's a lot of moveset videos for him. I'd imagine that Fortnite Jonesy is both a more requested pick and a more hated one among the general audience (simply by it being the "new hotness" and all). Some characters do kind of occupy a weird space and have (likely) support among both the general audience and the deep core (Waluigi, Steve), so that's worth keeping in mind.

It can be really difficult to guesstimate though. Sure, many of the silent majority's going to hear about your Genos and Dixie Kongs, but there's no telling how the general audience feels about them. I could imagine both of them having at least some support in the silent majority, but that's not only conjecture but also might be overshadowed by more "general" picks. Hero wasn't talked about here until Brave leaked, but I could imagine Hero / Slime being a general want in Japan simply because of Cloud's presence and DQ's status in Japan.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Your view seems rather reductionist. We can infer what the silent, casual fanbase wants based off of what's popular within more casual fanbases that can overlap with Nintendo. Just because we don't have quantitative data doesn't mean we can't draw inferences and speculate based off of those. Nintendo does the same when considering characters, so we ought to do the same.

If you like the poll you have every right to, just know it's not the best indicator of wider popularity, and this one in particular is incredibly biased.
I get what you're saying, but even then, those are just slightly educated guesses. I don't think any of the current Pass characters would have been called if we used that method, with Hero being a possible exception with DQ's Japan data.

It's not a matter of "liking" the poll or not. Heck, I basically agreed with you on the fact that it only represents a fraction of Smash's consumer base. I made my first post because I saw a lot of people touting "silent majority" this and that, even though that group never really speaks out. Whatever claims we have on them are just, as you said, speculation. Nothing else.

I guess I just feel that the "anti-Smash bubble" sentiment generated a bubble in itself and these arguments are taking too much away from... you know, speculation. And I say this as someone who loves picks no one saw coming.

To add to what tehponycorn is saying:

Not everyone's going to hear, for example, Sakurai shutting down Goku, so that's why there's a lot of moveset videos for him. I'd imagine that Fortnite Jonesy is both a more requested pick and a more hated one among the general audience (simply by it being the "new hotness" and all). Some characters do kind of occupy a weird space and have (likely) support among both the general audience and the deep core (Waluigi, Steve), so that's worth keeping in mind.

It can be really difficult to guesstimate though. Sure, many of the silent majority's going to hear about your Genos and Dixie Kongs, but there's no telling how the general audience feels about them. I could imagine both of them having at least some support in the silent majority, but that's not only conjecture but also might be overshadowed by more "general" picks. Hero wasn't talked about here until Brave leaked, but I could imagine Hero / Slime being a general want in Japan simply because of Cloud's presence and DQ's status in Japan.
Yeah, no, I get it, but again, all of this is conjecture. I feel like a lot of the users who argue "but the silent majority" are just people who don't like the top core picks in general... which is fine in itself, but I just can't see that argument standing in the long run.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I get what you're saying, but even then, those are just slightly educated guesses. I don't think any of the current Pass characters would have been called if we used that method, with Hero being a possible exception with DQ's Japan data.

It's not a matter of "liking" the poll or not. Heck, I basically agreed with you on the fact that it only represents a fraction of Smash's consumer base. I made my first post because I saw a lot of people touting "silent majority" this and that, even though that group never really speaks out. Whatever claims we have on them are just, as you said, speculation. Nothing else.

I guess I just feel that the "anti-Smash bubble" sentiment generated a bubble in itself and these arguments are taking too much away from...you know, speculation. And I say this as someone who loves picks no one saw coming.
So you want to encourage speculation, but don't encourage speculation about the casual fanbase's wants? That seems rather paradoxical to me.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to look outside of the Smash Bubble. For a fanbase that's been trapped inside of a vacuum for so long, looking outside of it for once is rather refreshing to see.

Could arguments about the importance of the casual fanbase be better used? Sure. Just like how arguments about the importance of the core fanbase could be better used. It's just another point of speculation on the table. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So you want to encourage speculation, but don't encourage speculation about the casual fanbase's wants? That seems rather paradoxical to me.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to look outside of the Smash Bubble. For a fanbase that's been trapped inside of a vacuum for so long, looking outside of it for once is rather refreshing to see.

Could arguments about the importance of the casual fanbase be better used? Sure. Just like how arguments about the importance of the core fanbase could be better used. It's just another point of speculation on the table. Nothing wrong with that.
No, my point is that people treat this speculation as facts when they really shouldn't be. It's great to look outside the usual choices, but when you're just using it to **** on things you don't like, then it's a problem. I loved the conversation on MOBAs the other day and would still love to see something on that front for Smash, but I won't be one to claim it's "more important and deserving" than any core choice - even the ones I don't like - because of their size and casual appeal. There's a difference.

It's as big of a problem in casual fanbase speculation as it is in core. It's refreshing to see new names, true, but it's not refreshing to see people invoke the exact same argument thinking it disqualifies a pick, because... the core fanbase cares about it? Imo this isn't unlike the other extreme - treating the core picks as the only ones that matter.

D

Deleted member

I guess I just feel that the "anti-Smash bubble" sentiment generated a bubble in itself and these arguments are taking too much away from... you know, speculation. And I say this as someone who loves picks no one saw coming.

Yeah, no, I get it, but again, all of this is conjecture. I feel like a lot of the users who argue "but the silent majority" are just people who don't like the top core picks in general... which is fine in itself, but I just can't see that argument standing in the long run.
Silent majority is important because only one character in the fighters pass has actually appeared on all of these fan polls. As a result, these "top picks" might not actually be as requested or have as much appeal as we think we do.

Now what the Hell does the silent majority want? Hell if I know. Just last month, I learned Metal Slugs and SNK is actually big in Latin America and China. Only thing I can know is that these fan polls have very little practical merit if they didn't affect 3/4 of the Fighters Pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
No, my point is that people treat this speculation as facts when they really shouldn't be. It's great to look outside the usual choices, but when you're just using it to **** on things you don't like, then it's a problem. I loved the conversation on MOBAs the other day and would still love to see something on that front for Smash, but I won't be one to claim it's "more important and deserving" than any core choice - even the ones I don't like - because of their size and casual appeal. There's a difference.

It's as big of a problem in casual fanbase speculation as it is in core. It's refreshing to see new names, true, but it's not refreshing to see people invoke the exact same argument thinking it disqualifies a pick, because... the core fanbase cares about it? Imo this isn't unlike the other extreme - treating the core picks as the only ones that matter.
So then it's a problem with speculation in general? I feel like you're conflating points then, or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. People looking outside the Smash Bubble is one thing, but people arguing opinions as facts is another. Not that I've seen any of that here recently minus people discrediting the fan poll, which could be taken that way. However, I would argue it isn't. As a whole it seems we agree though.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
West got Banjo and SNK for Latin America, Japan only had Hero. Joker was for everyone I'd say.
Next pick will probably be to please Japan again - unless they're considering a pick specifically for Europe? If it's Japan, you have reps like Reimu who can be pretty strong picks. If it's Europe... I actually don't know. What rep could be "tailored" for pleasing Europe?

ze9

Smash Ace
The Sabi Polls numbers are basically in via counting from the spreadsheet, though now is just checking for errors, incorrect spelling, vote stuffing, etc.

Here is a chart someone made!

That rampant demand for a Three Houses character.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
West got Banjo and SNK for Latin America, Japan only had Hero. Joker was for everyone I'd say.
Next pick will probably be to please Japan again - unless they're considering a pick specifically for Europe? If it's Japan, you have reps like Reimu who can be pretty strong picks. If it's Europe... I actually don't know. What rep could be "tailored" for pleasing Europe?
That one guy with the top hat....or the one without limbs....or the one that does that stupid tornado move.....weird I don't remember their names :p

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Silent majority is important because only one character in the fighters pass has actually appeared on all of these fan polls. As a result, these "top picks" might not actually be as requested or have as much appeal as we think we do.

Now what the Hell does the silent majority want? Hell if I know. Just last month, I learned Metal Slugs and SNK is actually big in Latin America and China. Only thing I can know is that these fan polls have very little practical merit if they didn't affect 3/4 of the Fighters Pass.
Oh, of course! Banjo and Kazooie were the only "top core request" we got. On the other side, though, Hero might be the only Pass character you can kinda argue comes from the casual base - even then, the appeal is stronger in one specific casual base.

I guess all I'm trying to say is... we don't know jack about how the choices are being made, so bringing up a contingent whose opinions we don't know to justify certain choices may not be the smartest move, is all.

So then it's a problem with speculation in general? I feel like you're conflating points then, or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. People looking outside the Smash Bubble is one thing, but people arguing opinions as facts is another. Not that I've seen any of that here recently minus people discrediting the fan poll, which could be taken that way. However, I would argue it isn't. As a whole it seems we agree though.
There is a Venn diagram to be made here, though. Like how a lot of the people who argue that the core picks wouldn't bring many new people to Smash are supporting a Three Houses rep... which, despite how well it's doing, also wouldn't bring that many new people. Or the fact that the people discrediting the poll were acting like it was somehow meant to represent all of the Smash fanbase - something I don't remember ever being said, even by the organizers themselves.

True, you can just say it's a problem with speculation in general, but it's one that comes up more and more often from the people who dislike core picks. And meanwhile, a lot of topics related to non-core picks keep getting ignored because people are, ironically, too busy arguing against Bubble characters.

... But yes, it seems we have a general consensus, I suppose.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
To be honest I hope most of the top options
I know Tales have some dedicated fanbases in European countries like France if the European Namco branch posting Tales news earlier than the NA one is evidence. there's also Level-5 works like Professor Layton, Yokai Watch etc. There's Phoenix Wright I think. There's also the possibility of a female protagonist to draw in new female players too. Like Velvet(again Tales has a sizable female fanbase), Jill Valentine etc.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
My boy Sgt. Cortez!

No? Okay...

1444870981_Surprise TP cortez.gif

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I don't know if they are picking characters based solely on regions, but if they're doing it based on Europe it got to be Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright.

They're loved and promoted so much in Europe that the President of Nintendo of Europe dressed up as both Layton and Phoenix during some of their directs.(Satoru Shibata is now in charge of the Marketing Division and the Licensing Division of Nintendo.)

If that wasn't enough, both Professor Layton and Ace Attorney are listen in the official Nintendo of Europe's character hub section, featuring the two series right next to flagship Nintendo franchises like Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and more. The only other 3rd party series listed is Inazuma Eleven, which is also made by Level 5 of Professor Layton fame. Seriously feel like people are sleeping on Layton's chances right after we got a surprise like Terry.
Capture.PNG

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Forgive me it's half past 11pm and I interpretted that as a character who summons actual tornados
I actually lol'd at your post because I too was confused at first, lmao. Kept picturing Hero's up-special.
I'd say if there's any validity to this then a Chinese pick is likely. I don't feel too confident about any of it meaning anything, though. I'd say Crash and Rayman may be the most likely "European" pics. Layton would be tight though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't know if they are picking characters based solely on regions, but if they're doing it based on Europe it got to be Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright.

They're loved and promoted so much in Europe that the President of Nintendo of Europe dressed up as both Layton and Phoenix during some of their directs.(Satoru Shibata is now in charge of the Marketing Division and the Licensing Division of Nintendo.)

If that wasn't enough, both Professor Layton and Ace Attorney are listen in the official Nintendo of Europe's character hub section, featuring the two series right next to flagship Nintendo franchises like Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and more. The only other 3rd party series listed is Inazuma Eleven, which is also made by Level 5 of Professor Layton fame. Seriously feel like people are sleeping on Layton's chances right after we got a surprise like Terry.
I never considered Ace Attorney a EU pick holy ****. That explains the ****ing Dutch dub of the Layton crossover. In fact, Layton games often get dubbed in general. You know how ****ing rare Dutch dubs are?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Once people believe first-parties have a chance again that poll is going to get outdated real fast.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I already spend way too much time throwing this together, I can't be bothered to think of a joke to introduce this.

EchoFighterDLC.png

Rate my Echo Fighter DLC lineup

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Satoru Shibata was based and the possibility that he was one of the higher ups at Nintendo that helped Sakurai decide on the DLC fills me with hope.

Maybe, maybe....

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I know that the conversation has deviated quite a bit since this post but i think @KatKit was originally talking about the old trilogy.

The modern games imo are kind of a mix between a realistic style and an anime inspired style (but with clearly less anime elements than the NES trilogy). Basically, it doesn't have to be one or the other, a mix of both is also a possibility.
Well, yes, the NES games are certainly more anime than the modern ones. But the argument is whether a bunch of people would go "another anime swordsman!" if he was announced, and I don't think many people would. Because the modern version of Hayabusa that they'd likely use doesn't have a very anime aesthetic.

I hate to sound pedantic, but nobody is born with lavender hair.
Yes, but the point was, giving a character a non-natural hair color doesn't make them anime, because ANYONE can have a non-natural hair color, because anyone can dye their hair any color they want. I see people walking down the street with lavender hair. Are those PEOPLE in the real world anime?

A lot of people who? It's not a secret that Ninja Gaiden both originates from and is associated with Japan, and that it's animated.
Well, as this video explains(warning: language), that definition is so broad that it encompasses things it never refers to in common usage. And there's plenty of people that don't agree with it.

Nintendo hasn't published the results of the Ballot, so I'm going to assume that only half of the people who own Smash for Wii U
That is RIDICULOUSLY generous. If the poll actually had anywhere NEAR that many votes, it would be of people mass voting with bot accounts, because the vast majority of people simply do not care about online polls.

Y’know, can’t you restrict Google surveys/polls to only allowing one vote per account? I came across one like this before, wanting to vote for another character as well but nope. This time I just voted Steve. They could’ve restricted it to prevent most spam if that’s still a thing you can do.
There's always ways to get around that. And there are always some people that will.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Unrelated topic incoming!!

I never knew how requested Heavy was as a fighter. It seems weird to me, as I feel like it's more of a stretch than Doomguy/slayer. I mean, Valve is known for pretty much doing PC things with Steam and, like, all of their big games.

Why is he so rooted for?

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Anyways I don't think either Layton and Phoenix Wright are the fifth dlc character but now that they are most likely going to be individual packs I can ABSOLUTELY see a dual Layton and Phoenix Wright reveal in the same trailer :D
Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright for real this time!!!!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That one guy with the top hat....or the one without limbs....or the one that does that stupid tornado move.....weird I don't remember their names :p
Sooooo...Mario & Cappy, Shroomish, and also...

RAAAASHIIIIIDOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! (Bunuhnuhnuhnuhnaneur)

I already spend way too much time throwing this together, I can't be bothered to think of a joke to introduce this.

Rate my Echo Fighter DLC lineup
I really like female Byleth with the bluer hair. Looks nice, though it kinda seems to be the only color on her that isn't black. lol

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Europe overlaps a lot with the US in this regard, someone like Rayman could be seen as a special gesture since he was created by French developers, but it's not like he'd be an inclusion akin to Terry or Hero in this regard. Maybe Phoenix Wright or Layton as previously suggested, but I suppose it depends on where you live in Europe, around Scandinavia I haven't seen or heard many requests for them.

Crash would probably be the biggest newcomer here in Europe, he was enormous over here, and I could see them doing it in order to target the UK crowd as well. Nintendo could very well see that as a region they could perform better in, Playstation completely dominates the console market over there, and they absolutely love Crash, the N. Sane Trilogy topped the charts for I don't know how long, if there's any singular newcomer that can potentially move platforms on his own in any single region, it'd be Crash for the UK. Again, his inclusion would hardly be considered pandering to the European crowd, and I personally don't think he's Fighter #5, but he'd be a very big deal here for the additional DLC if they continue down this route.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman

I really like Byleth with the bluer hair. Looks nice, though it kinda seems to be the only color on her that isn't black. lol
NGL Rashid would be a DOPE pick lmao
Europe overlaps a lot with the US in this regard, someone like Rayman could be seen as a special gesture since he was created by French developers, but it's not like he'd be an inclusion akin to Terry or Hero in this regard. Maybe Phoenix Wright or Layton as previously suggested, but I suppose it depends on where you live in Europe, around Scandinavia I haven't seen or heard many requests for them.

Crash would probably be the biggest newcomer here in Europe, he was enormous over here, and I could see them doing it in order to target the UK crowd as well. Nintendo could very well see that as a region they could perform better in as Playstation completely dominates over there, and they absolutely love Crash there, the N. Sane Trilogy topped the charts for I don't know how long, if there's any singular newcomer that can potentially move platforms on his own in any single region, it'd be Crash for the UK. Again, his inclusion would hardly be considered pandering to the European crowd, but he'd be a very big deal here regardless.
Crash is quite popular in the rest of the world though....even in Japan

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm thinking DLC fighter 5 is coming down to Crash, Doom Slayer and Ryu Hayabusa.

Any of them would be welcoming. I'd love for Doom Slayer's reveal to be an continuation to:ultridley:who is about to kill defeated:ultzss:only to stop when he hears the sound of chainsaw buzzing

"Doom Slayer Rips and Tears into Battle!"

Doom Slayer saves Zero Suit Samus and proceeds to shoot and beat the **** out of Ridley. :grin:

Ryu Hayabusa's reveal should be his opening from the original game where:ultsheik:and:ultgreninja:squares off with one of them defeating the other. Ryu Hayabusa then appears challenging the winner to a fight.

Can't think of a good tagline for him.

Not too sure how Crash's reveal should go but I'd imagine his tagline being something like

"Crash Spins into Battle!".

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I really like female Byleth with the bluer hair. Looks nice, though it kinda seems to be the only color on her that isn't black. lol
I'm pretty sad we never got Rashid's theme in Smash, I'd unironically be playing in Ryu's stage more often if it was.
Rashidoooooo!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Unrelated topic incoming!!

I never knew how requested Heavy was as a fighter. It seems weird to me, as I feel like it's more of a stretch than Doomguy/slayer. I mean, Valve is known for pretty much doing PC things with Steam and, like, all of their big games.

Why is he so rooted for?
Heavy is one of the most recognizable characters in TF2. While the general buzz has seemingly died down about it, it shouldn't be underestimated how popular it was at it's peak, it was everywhere and it being F2P really made it stand out from most shooters back then due to it's cartoony aesthetic and tone. Hell, TF2 may possibly have the most entertaining law out there such as how stairs were invented because people got tired of rocket jumping to get to higher elevations

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Crash is quite popular in the rest of the world though....even in Japan
Yeah, I did address that. You're really going to struggle to find any character that's purely EU centric, and the ones which are closest to being such wouldn't really be as big of a deal here as just including a character that's really popular on a global scale, we don't really have an equivalent of Dragon Quest's popularity in Japan for example (unless you count FIFA, but you know...).

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
I honestly doubt TF2 will ever get in smash, Valve has never shown interest in that type of thing. But I think Doomslayer gonna be our final fighter pass character, with the way Sakurais going with this DLC, representing all types of genres and games, it makes sense.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
SNK being popular in Latin America has somehow lead people to believe it's only popular in Latin America.

All the characters, minus Hero, have had appeal in multiple regions. And DQ isn't exactly emblematic of the status quo. Evaluating characters based on being able to appeal to a single region is unnecessarily myopic, especially when it relegates choices to the likes of Reimu.

Instead of looking for patterns, just look for popular characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom