• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Unrelated topic incoming!!

I never knew how requested Heavy was as a fighter. It seems weird to me, as I feel like it's more of a stretch than Doomguy/slayer. I mean, Valve is known for pretty much doing PC things with Steam and, like, all of their big games.
I think it's mainly because there is a lot of cross over between both games fanbases. One of the most popular fan maps is Mario Kart, Almost every Gmod animation video for TF2 usually has atleast one Nintendo related song in there. Lots of Nintendo fans seem to play TF2 from my experience.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I’m new here and I just wanted to say that Sackboy is my most wanted and I definitely feel he really deserves a spot in smash, he was the PS3s icon after all.
Since you're new, I'll help you out and let you know that all of us only care about NES characters here. Not Nintendo characters. NES characters specifically.

ALL of us.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm thinking DLC fighter 5 is coming down to Crash, Doom Slayer and Ryu Hayabusa.

Any of them would be welcoming. I'd love for Doom Slayer's reveal to be an continuation to:ultridley:who is about to kill defeated:ultzss:only to stop when he hears the sound of chainsaw buzzing

"Doom Slayer Rips and Tears into Battle!"

Doom Slayer saves Zero Suit Samus and proceeds to shoot and beat the **** out of Ridley. :grin:

Ryu Hayabusa's reveal should be his opening from the original game where:ultsheik:and:ultgreninja:squares off with one of them defeating the other. Ryu Hayabusa then appears challenging the winner to a fight.

Can't think of a good tagline for him.

Not too sure how Crash's reveal should go but I'd imagine his tagline being something like

"Crash Spins into Battle!".
I don't think Doom Guy would be saving Samus. It'd be more like Hero's trailer where they take the spotlight from the character because Link doesn't appear in the next scene. I'd imagine at the end of the trailer, Doom Guy is seen strangle holding ridley by the neck and continually punching him while the shadow of the Cyberdemon comes into view to catch Doom Guy's attention, slowly turning his head while he let's go of an exhausted Ridley. Then the camera cuts out as Doom Guy jumps towards the Cyberdemon.

For who should win in a hypothetical Ryu Hayabusa trailer, I think Greninja should win over Shiek to reference the trophy from Smash 4. Greninja's final smash trophy, secret Ninja attack has him attacking Shiek.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Since you're new, I'll help you out and let you know that all of us only care about NES characters here. Not Nintendo characters. NES characters specifically.

ALL of us.
Lol by new I meant I finally decided to get an account, I’ve been watching for awhile, so I already know that if the character isn’t “deserving” they’re dead to the community.
:4pacman:

the argument is whether a bunch of people would go "another anime swordsman!" if he was announced, and I don't think many people would. Because the modern version of Hayabusa that they'd likely use doesn't have a very anime aesthetic.
Oh, right ...

Tbh I doubt people that would go ''another anime swordsman!'' would put that much reasoning behind it ...

I mean, i admire your willingness to rationalize their thinking process but i think you overestimate them a bit (of course, i could be wrong).

D

Deleted member

Worth noting that TF2 never really went away either. It's still modestly popular and I see references to it and jokes made about it frequently.
I wouldn't really consider Heavy likely but the demand for him isn't really surprising.
Sounds legit enough :happysheep:
No seriously this is an actual piece of TF2 lore
1570400291605.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't think Doom Guy would be saving Samus.
To be fair I probably should had been more clear there. He doesn't intentionally save her. It happens to be that:ultridley:was in Doom Slayer's way and pretty much mistook him for an demon.

But otherwise yeah more like what:ulthero:did in his trailer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know, it's still a bit weird how everything that involved Overwatch and the Switch from the leaked switch case to the director saying they'd be fine with a character in Smash made a lot of people talk about Tracer (and others but mainly her) in Smash either in a positive or negative light while the Switcher port hardly got anyone saying anything about Geralt possibly being in Smash. We all know that already appearing in a recent fighting game didn't stop Terry from getting in, so maybe Geralt could end up being a very slept on character as well regardless of the novels.

Edit: well apparently even a producer from CD Projekt RED wants Geralt in Smash, so take that as you will.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
There's a reason I always say that Touhou is far removed from the Smash bubble. You can go to any anime community in the west and Touhou is about as known there as characters like Ness and Captain Falcon are here. You might find people new to the anime community won't know about Touhou, but anyone who's been into anime and anime games for a substantial length of time has definitely heard of the series and it's characters.
Anecdotally, none of the anime communities I frequent ever talk about Touhou. I assume because it doesn't actually have an anime series.

Also, NGL, while I've heard the name Touhou over the years, the only reason I know who ANY of the characters are is because of Salty Bet.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You know, it's still a bit weird how everything that involved Overwatch and the Switch from the leaked switch case to the director saying they'd be fine with a character in Smash made a lot of people talk about Tracer (and others but mainly her) in Smash either in a positive or negative light while the Switcher port hardly got anyone saying anything about Geralt possibly being in Smash. We all know that already appearing in a recent fighting game didn't stop Terry from getting in, so maybe Geralt could end up being a very slept on character as well regardless of the novels.
I kind of felt it a little unfair to rule out Geralt just because he originated from a novel. I think anyone with a strong video game presence deserves a chance in Smash Bros whether they originated from a video game or not.

That being said I have the same issue with Geralt that I do with the Dovahkiin. He just looks too realistic to fit in with in the Smash cast.
(Not saying that they shouldn't be in Smash Ultimate, I'd just find them a little jarring to see them in the game)

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
And yet, there's still people thinking that Overwatch can compete with TF2. It's sad, really. The only thing Overwatch has over it are canonical LGBTQ+ characters.
What was Team Fortress' popularity in Asia? Blizzard feel like they have a very good foothold there between Overwatch and Starcraft, which I do think strengthen's their chances.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Nah it's going to be someone outside of the Doomguy, Hayabusa, and Crash bubble.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's so strange to see people affronted at others not knowing of Touhou when the thing is almost non-existent outside Japan.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nah it's going to be someone outside of the Doomguy, Hayabusa, and Crash bubble.
Some out there/sleeper/dark horse picks I could see.

Agumon, Amaterasu, Chosen Undead, Dovahkiin and KOS-MOS.

Otherwise other runner-ups I could expect for DLC fighter 5 are Dante, Resident Evil rep, Lloyd Irving (Or Yuri Lowell) and Phoenix Wright.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
To the people saying we should "discredit all fan polls"... any suggestions on how to get "the silent majority" to vote?

Because a lot of these polls are as accessible as it gets, yet only the core fanbase votes anyway. We can speculate about what the casual fanbase wants all day, but I don't think anyone knows because they never seem to go out of their way to speak out. And the one source we could have, which is the Smash Ballot itself, never had its results released.

Troll votes/spamming? Sure. Small sample size? Absolutely. Doesn't take a lot of demands into account? Okay. These are all valid criticisms, but it really seems like people are just mad the results weren't what they expected. Which is funny, because I remember even smaller polls being used in this thread in favor of certain characters - sometimes by the same people who are now hating on this one.

It's also funny to me how people keep saying the poll is unrealiable specifically because of PapaGenos when his following is the smallest of the three involved, but that's neither here nor there...

... Anyway. Going back to what this thread is supposed to be about: people here seem to generally agree that the next season will open with something really big. What kind of curveball could Sakurai throw at us then? If it's at TGA, then I doubt it's related to online or mobile games, as it really doesn't seem like the place for them. So what's the next biggest thing?
At least, the man knows.
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/24/people-are-free-to-criticize-but-dont-lose-faith/
From the beginning, I have thought “the people who don’t raise their voices are important.” I created my first game, Kirby’s Dreamland, a game you could say was designed for beginners, because beginners don’t usually raise their voices. I think that it is necessary to really look at these people, understand them, and work patiently and persevere and build on my work.

I don’t want people who are involved in ‘creating’ things to become disheartened by criticism. Just being able to impart ‘fun’ to a lot of people is a blessing, after all.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Edit: well apparently even a producer from CD Projekt RED wants Geralt in Smash, so take that as you will.
Fwiw I don't think the talk about Overwatch in Smash is actually going to lead anywhere anyway.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Oh, right ...

Tbh I doubt people that would go ''another anime swordsman!'' would put that much reasoning behind it ...

I mean, i admire your willingness to rationalize their thinking process but i think you overestimate them a bit (of course, i could be wrong).
Most people just say no more anime swordsman because almost all of the ones we have are JRPG/RPG ones. Seeing Ryu would be different because he is not an adventurer and instead a ninja, which would cause most people to be like, "WOAH HE IS SO NOT AN ANIME SWORDSMAN"

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Y’all are sleeping on Gunvolt tbh.

I honestly feel that he’s the best choice for an indie rep since he’s quickly spawned a multimedia franchise and he also is pretty popular in Japan, since Smash usually looks there first in terms of appealing characters... Yeah I have my eyes on him.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Most people just say no more anime swordsman because almost all of the ones we have are JRPG/RPG ones. Seeing Ryu would be different because he is not an adventurer and instead a ninja, which would cause most people to be like, "WOAH HE IS SO NOT AN ANIME SWORDSMAN"
Watch that people though refer to him as Sword Sheik.

Which I'd be down for because then we could have British Duck Hunt (:ultbanjokazooie:) vs. Trucker Ken (Terry Bogard) vs. Sword Sheik (Ryu Hayabusa). :p

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It's so strange to see people affronted at others not knowing of Touhou when the thing is almost non-existent outside Japan.
Affronted is the wrong word to use. I never expected the smash community to "know" about Touhou. It's fairly clear that the Smash community really doesn't know a whole lot though, especially how they treated Hero/DQ and Terry/SNK. Touhou's western popularity and notoriety exist plentifully, it's just not in a place your typical smash fan will really find it, especially with how anti-anime the community is as a whole.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
British Duck Hunt, Trucker Ken and Sword Shiek are my favourite echo fighters.

Yep that seems like a good comment to end my day.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Shantae fans; I'm intrigued. Did you come to support the character because you played and loved the games or did you play the games because of the campaign to get her into Smash?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Y’all are sleeping on Gunvolt tbh.

I honestly feel that he’s the best choice for an indie rep since he’s quickly spawned a multimedia franchise and he also is pretty popular in Japan, since Smash usually looks there first in terms of appealing characters... Yeah I have my eyes on him.
I would KILL to have some Gunvolt music in Smash, especially Eternal Blue

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Affronted is the wrong word to use. I never expected the smash community to "know" about Touhou. It's fairly clear that the Smash community really doesn't know a whole lot though, especially how they treated Hero/DQ and Terry/SNK. Touhou's western popularity and notoriety exist plentifully, it's just not in a place your typical smash fan will really find it, especially with how anti-anime the community is as a whole.
If you didn't expect the community to know about Touhou, then my post wasn't directed at you.

I disagree that the fanbase exists plentifully though. I think it just... exists.

I also disagree the Smash fanbase is anti-anime, go read through the social thread. Some people just tire of an abundance of characters they feel bring the same aesthetic.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Shantae fans; I'm intrigued. Did you come to support the character because you played and loved the games or did you play the games because of the campaign to get her into Smash?
Not exactly a Shantae Supporter (but I like the franchise), but I ended up finding Shantae's franchise because of MN9 Kickstarter of all things that I ended up accidentally finding Shantae's Half Genie Kickstarter xD

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
For me, she is just an interesting character in general. The only game I've played is Half-Genie Hero and I just like the general design of her. I think she would fit well in Smash.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It's certainly not popular in the West, but I'd say it's niche but somewhat recognizable to people in like-minded communities outside of Japan rather than nonexistent. We're past the late 2000s Bad Apple/U.N. Owen was Her meme peak, but odds are still pretty good that a lot of people in gaming communities have been exposed to Touhou characters, even if they might not be able to put a name to the series. Ironically, characters like Sakuya, Flandre & Remilia are probably more recognizable than Reimu despite having minor playable roles in the series.

D

Deleted member

Kind of funny. I literally only found out about Touhou for the one of many fan remixes it has. You could never convince me this channel is dedicated to a game series back in the day.

(Also the music is kinda bopping looking back)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm not that vocal of a Shantae supporter but I wanted her in Smash before the whole campaign started. I still remember learning about Risky's Revenge in Nintendo Power and downloading it the second I got a 3DS in 2011. In the early SSB4 days I was hoping we'd get either Shantae or Patricia Wagon from Might Switch Force (another WayForward game).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's certainly not popular in the West, but I'd say it's niche but somewhat recognizable to people in like-minded communities outside of Japan rather than nonexistent. We're past the late 2000s Bad Apple/U.N. Owen was Her meme peak, but odds are still pretty good that a lot of people in gaming communities have been exposed to Touhou characters, even if they might not be able to put a name to the series. Ironically, characters like Sakuya, Flandre & Remilia are probably more recognizable than Reimu despite having minor playable roles in the series.
If it's recognizable mostly to people in specific online communities, I'm not sure that really disproves its high level of obscurity.

Kind of funny. I literally only found out about Touhou for the one of many fan remixes it has. You could never convince me this channel is dedicated to a game series back in the day.

Touhou does have good music.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
When I see a meme character like an anime loli such as reimu, above massively popular and well known characters like Lara Croft, Doom etc.
You more then likely know it's a bunch of -redacted- spamming.
I've been playing video games since the early 90's all kinds of games.
I had never heard of Reimu until a month ago.
But some how this obscure, niche, literal who is more popular then legacy characters with Hollywood movies known on mass by the general public?
Lots of doubt, in my opinion.
People really have no idea of how popular Touhou is?

A decades old series with numerous official games, a large amount of fan-made games, fan-made comics, manga, animations and even anime? A series with its own fan convention?

A Chinese botanist even named a flower after Reimu Hakurei.

Some times I think Smashboards is this hermetically sealed bubble. Just the sheer surprise some people have shown in regards to Hero and Terry is flabbergasting.

Played the games first. Supported the Half Genie Hero kickstarter and voted for Shantae in the Fighter Ballot.

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm not sure how I discovered Touhou, it's a combination of factors, but I can't remember how it started (popular music videos, friends sharing gameplay clips, etc).

But it was like in 2008 if my memories doesn't fail me; I remember for a while I didn't try to play the games until 2009 when Hisoutensoku was released.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If it's recognizable mostly to people in specific online communities, I'm not sure that really disproves its high level of obscurity.

Touhou does have good music.
Oh, it's definitely niche. I'm simply highlighting the difference between niche and nonexistent. "Nonexistent" implies that it has absolutely no following whatsoever outside of Japan, which simply isn't the case. It's got a fairly strong cult following.

The Gensokyo the Gods Loved is fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite Touhou tunes, and one which I think would have solid chances of being included in the ~10ish songs we'd probably get if Reimu made it in.

D

Deleted member

The Gensokyo the Gods Loved is fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite Touhou tunes, and one which I think would have solid chances of being included in the ~10ish songs we'd probably get if Reimu made it in.
Really, I know next to nothing about Touhou and have no interest exploring it at the moment

But I'd be down for Reimu if it meant music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom