• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh, it's definitely niche. I'm simply highlighting the difference between niche and nonexistent. "Nonexistent" implies that it has absolutely no following whatsoever outside of Japan, which simply isn't the case. It's got a fairly strong cult following.
I wasn't referring to the fanbase as much as I was the actual products. The western fanbase is obviously disproportionate to the western presence of the series. Though that doesn't inherently mean it's "big".

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
If you didn't expect the community to know about Touhou, then my post wasn't directed at you.

I disagree that the fanbase exists plentifully though. I think it just... exists.

I also disagree the Smash fanbase is anti-anime, go read through the social thread. Some people just tire of an abundance of characters they feel bring the same aesthetic.
It's a franchise that is extremely popular due to its tons of musics (+ its crazy and colourful hat-wearing waifus). ZUN is a composer after all. One of the most famous songs is U.N. Owen Was Her of which a remix was used in the Ronald meme (I linked that version because you can both hear the original music and the remix used in the meme), ~8M views:

There's also the Bad Apple AMV with 22+M views:

Also, if you've played League of Legends, you must be familiar with the item Youmuu's Ghostblade. This is a direct reference to Touhou's Youmuu. I could go on about the world of Gensokyo, there are other famous Touhou characters such as Marisa, Alice or Sakuya. Just know that there's no shortage of videos or topics on the matter.

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
The Gensokyo the Gods Loved is fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite Touhou tunes, and one which I think would have solid chances of being included in the ~10ish songs we'd probably get if Reimu made it in.
My personal favorites are Bhava-agra as seen through a Child's Mind and Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind among others
No other video game track gives me an eargasm quite like these. Though Gensokyo the Gods Loved is a popular one, so I think it's surefire pick for a Touhou song.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's a franchise that is extremely popular due to its tons of musics (+ its crazy and colourful hat-wearing waifus). ZUN is a composer after all. One of the most famous songs is U.N. Owen Was Her of which a remix was used in the Ronald meme (I linked that version because you can both hear the original music and the remix used in the meme), ~8M views:

Also, if you've played League of Legends, you must be familiar with the item Youmuu's Ghostblade. This is a direct reference to Touhou's Youmuu. I could go on about the world of Gensokyo, there are other famous Touhou characters such as Marisa, Alice or Sakuya. Just know that there's no shortage of videos or topics on the matter.
Having stumbled across a Touhou song does not a member of the fanbase make.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I wasn't referring to the fanbase as much as I was the actual products. The western fanbase is obviously disproportionate to the western presence of the series. Though that doesn't inherently mean it's "big".
I'm not sure I see the distinction between the fanbase and the presence, to be honest. Surely any series' presence is directly tied to how many people are talking about it and playing it, regardless of whether they're buying the games in stores or pirating English translations? With that said, the products exist officially in the West now, too. Hidden Star in Four Seasons, Touhou 16, has thousands of reviews on Steam, Touhou 17, Wily Beast and Weakest Creature, just hit Steam, and more and more of the old games are arriving on Steam as well.

Again, it's certainly very niche, but it may be more recognizable than you're giving it credit for, even though the era of peak Western Touhou meme penetration is over.

My personal favorites are Bhava-agra as seen through a Child's Mind and Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind among others
No other video game track gives me an eargasm quite like these. Though Gensokyo the Gods Loved is a popular one, so I think it's surefire pick for a Touhou song.
Ahhh, Emotional Skyscraper is really great. My single favorite Touhou song is probably Night Sakura of Dead Spirits or Love-Colored Master Spark. Night Sakura of Dead Spirits is really something else; I'm surprised it's not more popular.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Alright, question. For the sake of conversation, and cause I'm curious for answers, let's say there is a Fighter's Pass 2 and every single one of them is from a new company.

So. No characters from:
Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION.

Who you got?

Rules: It can be Nintendo 2nd Party or 3rd party as long as it's not from the list above. Of course has to be a Video Game character and no company can be repeated on your list.

Pre-script: I have a belief that Hayabusa is Fighter #5 so, even though he would definitely be on the list, I'm going to say he's number 5.

1. Doom Slayer - Bethesda/Zenimax
  2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
  4. Crash Bandicoot - Activision
  5. Travis Touchdown - Marvelous
This is kind of an exercise to show just how few big companies are left to join Smash. Of course, there definitely are a few but still the list is dwindling.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Having stumbled across a Touhou song does not a member of the fanbase make.
Ah, not saying that makes them members of a fanbase. Just that it makes the franchise known to them. In fact, funnily enough, most people know of Touhou because of its characters, its musics and their remixes. The games themselves are bullet hells - which isn't your every person's cup of tea, to say the least.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’m not really trying to debate on the popularity of Touhou, but the fact that the Ronald McDonald version of “UN Owen was her” has more views than the original is absolutely hilarious to me.

D

Deleted member

Alright, question. For the sake of conversation, and cause I'm curious for answers, let's say there is a Fighter's Pass 2 and every single one of them is from a new company.

So. No characters from:
Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION.

Who you got?

Rules: It can be Nintendo 2nd Party or 3rd party as long as it's not from the list above. Of course has to be a Video Game character and no company can be repeated on your list.

Pre-script: I have a belief that Hayabusa is Fighter #5 so, even though he would definitely be on the list, I'm going to say he's number 5.

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
This is kind of an exercise to show just how few big companies are left to join Smash. Of course, there definitely are a few but still the list is dwindling.
Doom guy - Bethesda
Isaac - Camelot
Rayman - Ubisoft
Ryu Hayabusa - Koei-Tecmo
Crash Bandicoot - Activision

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
You're right, this is actually pretty tough!

1. Reimu Hakurei - Team Shanghai Alice
2. Linkle (Hyrule Warriors - Koei Tecmo)
3. Rayman - Ubisoft
4. Sly Cooper - Sucker Punch
5. Vault Boy - Bethesda

Edit: Whoops, forgot we already have a MS IP. Swapped out for Koei.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I’m not really trying to debate on the popularity of Touhou, but the fact that the Ronald McDonald version of “UN Owen was her” has more views than the original is absolutely hilarious to me.
That video is a meme, (well, it was), not wonders it has more views. I remember other channel used to also have the song (the in-game version) but dissapeared.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I consider Touhou a relatively known property amongst the internet-savvy, so I'd be surprised if there were many people here, on an internet gaming forum, who wouldn't at the very least recognize what Touhou is upon being shown a clip of gameplay.

Not necessarily an understanding of its lore, characters, or importance to gaming, just a "Oh yeah, it's that one with the tons of projectiles".

D

Deleted member

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
Feels weird excluding first party as 2nd party is pretty much still Nintendo.

Realistically from the third companies there would be an option to add, there would also be Valve, Sony, Nippon Ichi, Level-5, EA (I know, I know), Disney for Sora, 2K and I don't know if THQ Nordic counts. I feel this excercise is kinda limiting honestly.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I thought this was a meme in the West just like a couple of month ago.
People are definitely exposed by Touhou a lot. Just they don't recognize because of it's extreme free-to-use philosophy.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I would KILL to have some Gunvolt music in Smash, especially Eternal Blue
Wondering a good stage for him, I was kinda thinking a good one would be the scene from the first game where he infiltrates the cargo train would be a good stage for him.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
1. Shantae - WayForward
2. Gunvolt - IntiCreates
3. Rayman - Ubisoft
4. Dovahkiin - Bethesda
5. ...I actually have no idea rip

Roberk

Smash Champion
I feel like people should have at least heard of the Touhou series rather than having to be fans of it, but then again Smash fans are the same people who had no idea that SNK and Terry existed despite there being dozens of SNK ports on the Switch for a while now and SNK being a staple of fighting games, so what do I know.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

Ummmmmm...
  1. Boy & Blob - WayForward
  2. Dragonborn - Bethesda
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
  4. Amy - Whoever picked up the rights to ZanZarah: The Hidden Portal after THQ went defunct
  5. Jin - Dunno. Either Game Atelier or FDG Entertainment
The Dragonborn is really the only character I wouldn't care too much about, but the rest would make me ecstatic.

Also whoever owns the rights to Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal and the Tac series needs to do something with them yesterday.
EDIT: And Katarina de Leon is the only acceptable EA rep.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Thing is, people don't always know who they want. Few people ever talked about Palutena or Joker, now look where they are. Or more recently, Terry. Vocal fan demand is one thing but not the only one, neither is it the most prominent one.
Those people would probably like anyone. It doesn't mean they were sleeper agent fans of those characters. Because they would like anyone, it makes more sense to add characters that other people actually want.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
Hmm...

1. Crash Bandicoot - Activision
2. Rayman - Ubisoft
3. Doom Slayer - Bethesda
4. Adol Christin - Falcom :shades:
5. Bub (and Bob) - Taito :nifty:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly before Reimu started getting Smash requests, the only thing I knew about Touhou was UN Owen Was Her.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Feels weird excluding first party as 2nd party is pretty much still Nintendo.
I mean, agreed, but the point is 2nd Parties; like Monolithsoft, Hal, Intelligent Systems, etc, can be added to the list above as, well, they're there.
I feel this excercise is kinda limiting honestly.
Yeah, that's...kinda the point.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Disregarding the incoming 5th character, I'd say:

- Ryu Hayabusa - Koei Tecmo
- Crash Bandicoot - Activision
- Laharl - Nippon Ichi
- Reimu Hakurei - Team Shanghai Alice

- Kat (Gravity Rush) - Sony ... Okay fine, Kratos - Sony ... but I'd still prefer Kat.

I hesitated to include Arc System Works with Noel (BlazBlue) or either Sol or Millia (Guilty Gear), tri-Ace with either Fayt (Star Ocean) or Lenneth, and Ubisoft with Rayman. So honorable mentions to them.

4. Adol Christin - Falcom :shades:
Ah right, there's Falcom too! Honorable mention to them too!

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Fighters Pass 2 should just be 5 rereleases of Banjo because no character will top him.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I feel like one of the few people here who knew Reimu before Smash speculation

I played Touhou a TON in middle school

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I feel like one of the few people here who knew Reimu before Smash speculation

I played Touhou a TON in middle school
Give me Reimu w/ a Kikis Delivery Service alt

I also would love Micro to get another rep. Either Steve or Chief would be wild

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I thought this was a meme in the West just like a couple of month ago.
People are definitely exposed by Touhou a lot. Just they don't recognize because of it's extreme free-to-use philosophy.
I'm not fond of this. This dude straight up monetizes Doujin Circle songs that he adds a drum beat and "omae wa mou shindeiru" to while not giving credit to the original song or doujin circle.

D

Deleted member

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
Guess I'll also be thinking hypothetically that Koei-Tecmo will be in the Last Fighter Pass, though whether if it's Hayabusa, Zhao Yun, or Ryza will be the mystery.

1. Sol Badguy - Arc System Works
2. Layton - Level-5
3. Cooking Mama - Taito? Cooking Mama Ltd.
4. Francis York Morgan - Red Star Games
5. Geralt - CD Projekt RED

ngl, this lineup is ****ing whack, but it is something different from the usual big companies that get brought up often like Bethesda, Activision, and Ubisoft.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I mean, agreed, but the point is 2nd Parties; like Monolithsoft, Hal, Intelligent Systems, etc, can be added to the list above as, well, they're there.

Yeah, that's...kinda the point.
My problem with limiting things like this is that the result is kinda boring as we keep repeating the same characters over and over especially because a lot of these characters come from Western companies which have yet to be added.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
Picks that immediately come to mind (you took most of the obvious ones):
  • Sora - Disney
  • Crash Bandicoot - Activision
  • Doom Slayer - Bethesda
  • Travis Touchdown - Marvelous
  • Ryu Hayabusa - Koei
  • Style Savvy - Syn Sophia
  • Professor Layton - Level 5
  • Rayman - Ubisoft
  • Isaac - Camelot
  • Kat - Sony
  • Steve - Mojang (I'm counting it as separate from Microsoft)
  • Reimu - ZUN
There's a good couple of picks left to pad out that list of companies.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
Bias list:
1. Warner Bros - Maxwell
2. Toby Fox - Frisk
3. Spike Chunsoft - Grovyle
4. Yacht Club - Shovel Knight
5. Alpha Dream - Fawful

Realistic List

Level 5 -Professor Layton
Mojang - Steve
Ubisoft - Rayman
Toby Fox - Frisk
ZUN - Reimu

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
Riot Games: Vi
Valve: Heavy/Gordon Freeman
Gearbox: Lilith
Falcom: Adol
Bethesda: Fallout rep
The Behemoth: Castle Crashers

Just going down my Steam library a bit, there's a ton more that can work well tbh.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

Red - Rovio Entertainment
Filia - Lab Zero
Susie - Toby Fox
Ronia - GungHo
Ren Homura - Mixi

cj.

Smash Journeyman

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
Scorpion - Netherrealm Studios
Earthworm Jim - Interplay Entertainment
Billy/Jimmy Lee - Arc System Works
Bub & Bob - Taito
Arina (Waku Waku 7) - Sunsoft
Crazy Dave (Plants vs Zombies) - EA Games

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
Here's mine (in no specific order)

Doomguy or Vault Boy - Bethesda
Cooking Mama - Taito
Ezio - Ubisoft
Anyone from a LucasArts original IP just to make people remember that they existed (and it would just be really funny)
Pitfall Harry - Activision
Red - Rovio

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Damn the idea of Chief in Smash makes me so excited. This moveset is insaane

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Really? Huh, gotta admit, I both have a migraine and my memory is fuzzy at best since I hardly paid any attention to speculation for SSB4. Still, I don't recall her being considered a lock, more like people bandwagonned because Pit was there. Might have been my impression though.

Also wow, JulianMario is a terrible friend. He's instantly attacking and not letting his mate check the new character out. **** move, bruh.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Here's mine (in no specific order)

Doomguy or Vault Boy - Bethesda
Cooking Mama - Taito
Ezio - Ubisoft
Anyone from a LucasArts original IP just to make people remember that they existed (and it would just be really funny)
Pitfall Harry - Activision
Red - Rovio
Taito was only the publisher of that game and has since been absorbed by Square Enix, the developer and owners of the Cooking Mama IP is the aptly named Cooking Mama Limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom