• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Ah the typical fan made rules that Sakurai tends to break on us.

"Ridley's too big!"

"King K. Rool's irrelevant!"

"Banjo's too 3rd party!"

Unless Sakurai says otherwise as he had with non-gaming characters there's nothing we can decide what can happen.
What fan made rules? I'm not even gatekeeping Dovahkiin. All I said is that I couldn't imagine him being in Smash Bros because I think he would look out of place. I have never said that Dovahkiin should not be in Smash Bros. That is not my intention.

The same could be said for D&D as well what with most things ending up in hilarious disasters due to dumb or unconventional decisions. Anyway I think this is a case of you'd have to see it to see how it would work.
Fair enough but I think it's quite different from what the Metal Gear series does. Whatever that's just what I think.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What fan made rules? I'm not even gatekeeping Dovahkiin. All I said is that I couldn't imagine him being in Smash Bros because I think he would look out of place. I have never said that Dovahkiin should not be in Smash Bros. That is not my intention.
My bad and I do apologize. It just sounded that way from what you were saying.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I can't imagine Dovahkiin making it into Smash Bros. To me he just looks way too out of place with how realistic he looks in the promotional art work. His Smash render would just be jarring to look at by comparison.
We already had this debate in the Doomguy thread, we don't need to start this up again. Dragonborn isn't any more realistic looking than Snake. (Though sorry if I'm saying this a bit late, kept getting inturrupted as I was typing this post)

Also we really shouldn't decry characters like Crash, Spyro, Banjo-Kazooie, etc as "cereal box characters", and I get that a lot of people here love Fire Emblem, Persona, Fate, etc, but could we just give respect to all characters? This isn't just about one side needing to respect the other's opinions, everyone needs to respect each other. (Though the Diddy faces that pic used from the TV show were super funny).
and I agree with GoodGrief on the sentiment that Ultimate DLC isn't the place for a Three Houses character. I'd definitely be more open to one (even if I dislike Edelgard as a whole) in the next entry (which will more than likely focus on first party) since Everyone is Here wouldn't be in effect and we could cut out Corrin or Lucina/Chrom to make room. Also all things considered the Monastery would be a cool stage.

Though since the support thread never sees any activity I would love to hear people's thoughts on Dovahkiin and The Elder Scrolls representation in general.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
My bad and I do apologize. It just sounded that way from what you were saying.
No worries man. I do get rather passionate about this stuff sometimes but people can want whatever character they want.

We already had this debate in the Doomguy thread, we don't need to start this up again. Dragonborn isn't any more realistic looking than Snake. (Though sorry if I'm saying this a bit late, kept getting inturrupted as I was typing this post)
I'm aware of that and I still stand by my argument. I still think Metal Gear is way less realistic looking than Skyrim. That doesn't mean you can't want the Dovahkiin but I'm allowed to express my opinion if the character comes up.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Any Fire Emblem protag is good in my book as long as the purpose is not to promote the next game. *cough* Corrin *cough*

Other than that, just looking at this thread makes me wonder why you guys wouldn't discuss stuff at the female character discussion. I mean, this DLC pack is just a huge sausage party.
Can't help but think that place is too heated to have a polite discussion.

That said, my opinion is that gender is meaningless to character inclusions. Nintendo and Sakurai have been going for a crossover aspect, and thus, they're more concerned with pulling that off than dealing with any sorts of quotas or agendas. If they include a female character, it's because they want to, not because of stuff like "sausage parties".

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My take on Fire Emblem is that it has too many characters, but that's kind of the fault of Everyone is Here; I don't think Corrin and Lucina would have made the transition from 4. Many franchises suffer from it (Dr. Mario and Young Link come to mind) but Fire Emblem suffers the most imo because it's not (yet) as mainstream as any series with that amount of characters. That said I do think Three Houses' success and acclaim warrants a character, and I'd love to see Byleth in Smash, but I understand anyone who feels it's too much; bar Marth and maybe Ike, the characters aren't known enough to really draw in non-fans. I think a Smash 6 with a few key cuts, and distinctive additions such as Byleth and the long-overdue Lyn could go a long way in making non-fans like the characters too.

Tl;dr maybe Ultimate DLC isn't the best place for an FE newcomer
Wait, why would Lucina be cut? She’s the most popular character of the Awakening trio and she’s directly over Marth as an Echo, and Marth will always be a part of the roster, so there’s no reason to cut his echo if he’s there. She’s also the sole female only FE character, and while I don’t think characters get added for being female, I can definitely see a completely valid stance behind keeping her as one of the female fighters in Smash since she’s also just Marth’s clone.

I’d argue she’s absolutely the second safest after Marth if it ever comes to cutting FE characters. She’s not only one of the most popular FE characters, but she’s also the literal easiest additional FE character to implement.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Also we really shouldn't decry characters like Crash, Spyro, Banjo-Kazooie, etc as "cereal box characters", and I get that a lot of people here love Fire Emblem, Persona, Fate, etc, but could we just give respect to all characters? This isn't just about one side needing to respect the other's opinions, everyone needs to respect each other. (Though the Diddy faces that pic used from the TV show were super funny).
and I agree with GoodGrief on the sentiment that Ultimate DLC isn't the place for a Three Houses character. I'd definitely be more open to one (even if I dislike Edelgard as a whole) in the next entry (which will more than likely focus on first party) since Everyone is Here wouldn't be in effect and we could cut out Corrin or Lucina/Chrom to make room. Also all things considered the Monastery would be a cool stage.

Though since the support thread never sees any activity I would love to hear people's thoughts on Dovahkiin and The Elder Scrolls representation in general.
You see Drifloon, I largely agree with you, but respect a two way street. There are people in here who clearly treat other users with disrespect, and to ask for people to respect those users feels like asking for a bit too much to me. I'll treat people with respect only if they treat others the same.

The argument that "Ultimate DLC isn't the place for a Three Houses character" is kind of bogus, and feels like moving the goal posts for a Fire Emblem character's inclusion. A Fire Emblem character will get in regardless of whether you feel it's the right time.

I also feel like Elder Scrolls representation is unlikely since the series never really picked up traction outside of the West, and when it comes to Bethesda series DOOM is clearly more influential to gaming as a whole, which makes up for a lack of Eastern popularity.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You see Drifloon, I largely agree with you, but I think this is a two way street. There are people in here who clearly treat other users with disrespect, and to ask for people to respect those users feels like asking for a bit too much to me. I'll treat people with respect only if they treat others the same.
NO! Kill them with kindness! WE! MUST! HAVE! PEACE! *Starts a peace rally that turns into a riot*

EDIT: Please know that I'm just being a doofus. I'm not trying to make fun of anyone.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Oh definitely. Metal Gear seems to have a more...odd sense of humor.
That's what I was going with. It has that Kojima quirk that on the outside it doesn't seem like it belongs in Smash but it's that inside ridiculousness that makes it fit regardless.

Wait, why would Lucina be cut? She’s the most popular character of the Awakening trio and she’s directly over Marth as an Echo, and Marth will always be a part of the roster, so there’s no reason to cut his echo if he’s there. She’s also the sole female only FE character, and while I don’t think characters get added for being female, I can definitely see a completely valid stance behind keeping her as one of the female fighters in Smash since she’s also just Marth’s clone.

I’d argue she’s absolutely the second safest after Marth if it ever comes to cutting FE characters. She’s not only one of the most popular FE characters, but she’s also the literal easiest additional FE character to implement.
Wait I thought Chrom was the most popular of the awakening trio?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That's what I was going with. It has that Kojima quirk that on the outside it doesn't seem like it belongs in Smash but it's that inside ridiculousness that makes it fit regardless.

Wait I thought Chrom was the most popular of the awakening trio?
The Intelligent Systems devs didn't think Chrom would be the most popular male character in the first Choose Your Legends poll.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I'm pretty sure she's the most popular because of...reasons that have nothing to do with making her your wife.

EDIT: And of course she's a pretty cool character.
A few Reddit posts from the Fire Emblem subreddit nail the reasons why Lucina is popular:
TheLaserSonic said:
For both Lyn and Lucina, I'm sure that it helps that both are star heroines in both games that were the hallmark of a newbie boom into the Fire Emblem series. For what they are, they are presented well enough (an important distinction; remember that not every person who plays a Fire Emblem game goes over with a fine toothed comb) that one can get vested into their plights.

And yes, I'm sure that them both having conventionally beautiful designs helps them as well.
PsiYoshi said:
I've described her this way before because it's pretty fun, Lucina is a time travelling warrior princess. That's a pretty good start. She has some bad*** moments, like killing the assassin going after Chrom, that prove she's not messing around. She also has moments of forced perseverance. Lucina was thrusted into a position of being a beacon of hope and strength for her people. In the scene where she's battling risen, and she saves the soldier with the line "I believe the one you want is me" and she comes face to face with Grima. Even though she's near paralyzed with fear, she doesn't back down or run away, she still does her best to point her sword at the dragon, so she can always be that beacon of hope. Then you learn more about her and you come to understand all she wanted was to be with her family, who she cares immensely deeply for.

Of course Lucina sees Marth as a role model, he's a legendary hero in her time, without any flaws. Marth did then, what she was trying to do now. He lost his parents, but still managed to take the fight to Medeus. Learning she doesn't have to rely on her persona as "Marth" in order to inspire her people is part of her character development, and I enjoy it a lot.

I'm sure I could explain better if I took a bit of time to really dig into her character, but for now that's a summary of why I like Lucina so much. I hope you can see it from my perspective!
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/a16d1u/why_does_everyone_like_lucina/

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The Intelligent Systems devs didn't think Chrom would be the most popular male character in the first Choose Your Legends poll.
Wow! I had a look at this choose your legends poll and she was second place on the first poll and then completely disappeared from the 2nd and 3rd ones.

I'm pretty sure she's the most popular because of...reasons that have nothing to do with making her your wife.

EDIT: And of course she's a pretty cool character.
It's just that Smash fanbase were clamouring for Chrom to join the game while everyone was just more "eh" with Lucina from what I've seen.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
A few Reddit posts from the Fire Emblem subreddit nail the reasons why Lucina is popular:
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/a16d1u/why_does_everyone_like_lucina/
Man those posts really make me remember the solid story beneath Awakening's awkward writing and wonky pacing. I know it's far too soon, but I'd love to see what an Awakening remake could do to the story. Hopefully it'd be something similar to what Shadows of Valentia did to the original Gaiden.
Wow! I had a look at this choose your legends poll and she was second place on the first poll and then completely disappeared from the 2nd and 3rd ones.
Because she was removed from the poll after winning.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The top 2 male and female characters are removed from subsequent CYL polls when they win. Don't need Camilla to dominate the polls and keep getting CYL alts.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Because she was removed from the poll after winning.

Clearly you didn't look hard enough or else you would've known that.
The top 2 male and female characters are removed from subsequent CYL polls when they win. Don't need Camilla to dominate the polls and keep getting CYL alts.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d.
Previous winners are removed from subsequent Choose Your Legends polls.
My bad. I didn't look too much into it and didn't see those rules. I just focused on the results rather than the rules which was pretty dumb of me.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
"No more anime swordsmen!"
"No more cartoony cereal box mascots!"
"No more western-style characters with guns!"
"No more muscular fighting game characters!"

These are all the same argument and a terrible one at that. How about we don't judge characters on their surface level design and instead weigh their merits based their overall importance to Nintendo/gaming, popularity amongst various demographics, and what they could potentially bring to Smash moveset wise?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Any Fire Emblem protag is good in my book as long as the purpose is not to promote the next game. *cough* Corrin *cough*

Other than that, just looking at this thread makes me wonder why you guys wouldn't discuss stuff at the female character discussion. I mean, this DLC pack is just a huge sausage party.
Personally I don't really care, sorry. I don't believe that Sakurai or Nintendo are ignoring female characters (either deliberately or subsconsciously), and I don't care about the character's gender. If I felt like they were being ignored due to sexism, sure, but that's not really the case.

From what I've seen Lucina isn't as popular as Chrom, though I could be mistaken. A better reason is that I don't think the Smash community specifically would care much about her leaving, whereas Chrom did cause a big reaction when he was snubbed.

Also Chrom is Awakening's protagonist so if anyone from there should stay it's him.

These are all the same argument and a terrible one at that. How about we don't judge characters on their surface level design and instead weigh their merits based their overall importance to Nintendo/gaming, popularity amongst various demographics, and what they could potentially bring to Smash moveset wise?
Because when you talk about characters' merits, people start piling on you for talking about "deserving".

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
You see Drifloon, I largely agree with you, but respect a two way street. There are people in here who clearly treat other users with disrespect, and to ask for people to respect those users feels like asking for a bit too much to me. I'll treat people with respect only if they treat others the same.

The argument that "Ultimate DLC isn't the place for a Three Houses character" is kind of bogus, and feels like moving the goal posts for a Fire Emblem character's inclusion. A Fire Emblem character will get in regardless of whether you feel it's the right time.

I also feel like Elder Scrolls representation is unlikely since the series never really picked up traction outside of the West, and when it comes to Bethesda series DOOM is clearly more influential to gaming as a whole, which makes up for a lack of Eastern popularity.

I understand that, and there are irrational outliers (which is how this whole thing started). But I meant it as a rule of thumb. Yes it sounds mushy but someone's gotta do it.

It's just my opinion. In the end none of this matters since we aren't making the decisions but we're all entitled to our own opinions. I was simply agreeing with GoodGrief's thoughts, nothing more, nothing less.

None of Bethesda's series have to a big degree, but the Elder Scrolls (especially Skyrim) have done surprisingly well overseas. It's been very influential in the world of Western RPGs and is still seen as the magnum opus of the open world style, so much so that even some Japanese games, like Breath of the Wild, have taken a lot of inspiration from it. It even has a 40/40 on Famitsu.
DOOM also pioneered a genre but a genre that has never caught on in Japan. I think both series have a lot of merits towards their inclusion, I just don't think DOOM is the overwhelming winner here like a lot of people think it is. Still, I have respect for DOOM and the tiltular Slayer, and we'll see what they decided to do down the line.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
From what I've seen Lucina isn't as popular as Chrom, though I could be mistaken. A better reason is that I don't think the Smash community specifically would care much about her leaving, whereas Chrom did cause a big reaction when he was snubbed.

Also Chrom is Awakening's protagonist so if anyone from there should stay it's him.
I mean, it's easier to notice a fanbase complaining than it is to notice a fanbase celebrating. Back in Smash 4, most people just didn't really expect Lucina since everyone was just absolutely focussed on Chrom. When she did end up happening, it was really more of a very pleasant surprise. With all the jokes and memes that ensued over Chrom not making it in, it's no surprise that that reaction was more noticable. And really, the aforementioned CYL poll should be more telling than anything else. Lucina got second place overall (as in, both male and female characters), losing only to Lyn, and got almost twice as many votes as Chrom. Chrom meanwhile was on two more CYL polls, and has yet to win a single one.

And it's very reductive to consider just Chrom to be the protagonist of Awakening. Him, Robin and Lucina are protagonists in equal measures, and the actual story is more about Robin than it is about anyone else. Chrom just really gets overshadowed there not too long in.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Hey, I never complained about cartoony punchy dudes per se, just pointed out the hypocrisy. I'd cheer if Crash ever gets in after all

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Personally I don't really care, sorry. I don't believe that Sakurai or Nintendo are ignoring female characters (either deliberately or subsconsciously), and I don't care about the character's gender. If I felt like they were being ignored due to sexism, sure, but that's not really the case.

Smash fans would hate Lucina being cut just as much as Chrom, and you lose some of the easiest additional female representation in the game.

Also, counterpoint, Lucina is Marth’s echo, whereas Chrom is Roy’s echo, and Roy is probably the most likely of the unique FE characters to be cut. And is certainly much more likely to be cut before Marth will. Hell, I’d go as far as to say that Marth will never be cut unless Fire Emblem just ceases to exist as a major Nintendo title. And that’s where Lucina is significantly more safe than other FE fighters. She’s an easy and important inclusion that is beloved and relies on the absolute safest fighter of the FE characters for her to be an Echo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I feel that's more of Robin than Chrom though. Robin was pretty much the focus of Awakening even though Chrom was the lord for the game
Really only the final portion of Awakening shifts the focus heavily toward Robin. For most of the game, Chrom is absolutely the focus of the story.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Actually, Lucina may be a tritagonist, but she's noticeablely a measure below Chrom and Robin in terms of importance. Out of the trio, she's the only one that lacks an entire story arc dedicated to her and can even die without a game-over.

While lorewise, she's a major player in that she introduces timetravel and the ultimate big bad, during the story, she doesn't do... much.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Really only the final portion of Awakening shifts the focus heavily toward Robin. For most of the game, Chrom is absolutely the focus of the story.
I was thinking at least the back half of the game, Robin started becoming more of the focus since it was about Robin finding out who s/he is during that back half after slowly recovering memories.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I want Dixie Kong in Smash as I believe she's a major player both in Donkey Kong Country and in the overall Nintendo sense, but I both don't mind and actively look forward to a Fire Emblem: Three Houses character.

People like us exist. Please...remember that we exist, even if we aren't as vocal as the haters.

I fear that Dixie's image may be tarnished if people keep bringing her absence up as a bludgeon against other character possibilities, rather than bringing up her absence as a shame in and of itself. Which is a sentiment even non DKC fans can generally agree with, I just don't want that sentiment polluted with "ugh, her FANS though".

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I want Dixie Kong in Smash as I believe she's a major player both in Donkey Kong Country and in the overall Nintendo sense, but I both don't mind and actively look forward to a Fire Emblem: Three Houses character.

People like us exist. Please...remember that we exist, even if we aren't as vocal as the haters.

I fear that Dixie's image may be tarnished if people keep bringing her absence up as a bludgeon against other character possibilities, rather than bringing up her absence as a shame in and of itself. Which is a sentiment even non DKC fans can generally agree with, I just don't want that sentiment polluted with "ugh, her FANS though".
Pragmatism isn't really a cornerstone of our community, unfortunately. I think it's clear that there are indeed folks who are just ****ing excited for anything Smash related. Those individuals are usually the most enjoyable to have in on speculation, anyways. You don't have to present a case against every character that might be at odds with your favorite's chances. Someone can rail on Fire Emblem all day and say that there's no sense in it getting another representative in lieu of the aforementioned Dixie Kong (Easy example). But Kirby fans could use similar logic against Donkey Kong representation since they received a new fighter in Ultimate already. The lapse in logic here is the assumption that just because someone wants a character or thinks they're deserving, they aren't appreciative enough of the representation said series already has.

Reminder that all speculation is purely fun and at the end of the day, completely pointless. I could throw essays at y'all about how deserving Mother is of a larger impression. Trying to tear apart arguments to be made for others doesn't make my dreams anymore realizable.

Be excited that you're here to experience an unprecedented video game collaboration, and be excited it's expanding, no matter what direction that may go!

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
You know what? Let’s go all out, let’s have Byleth as the Fire Emblem Pokémon’s Trainer with three full original moveset for Dmitri, Edelgard, and Claude that you can swap between. They will cost $15 for the three move-sets and be the only character that comes out for 7 months. Perfect representation for Three Houses that makes fans happy, and an absolute joy for the rest of us as who are more apathetic (or just fine with more FE) as we watch the Smash fandom’s heads collectively roll and explode.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You know what? Let’s go all out, let’s have Byleth as the Fire Emblem Pokémon’s Trainer with three full original moveset for Dmitri, Edelgard, and Claude that you can swap between. They will cost $15 for the three move-sets and be the only character that comes out for 7 months. Perfect representation for Three Houses that makes fans happy, and an absolute joy for the rest of us as who are more apathetic (or just fine with more FE) as we watch the Smash fandom’s heads collectively roll and explode.
Aside from the seven months thing, this sounds like something that could be done for Smash, like the Ninja Turtles and their customizable moveset in Injustice 2.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Can't wait for Fighters Pass 2
1570315963666.png

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

I think in future Lucina will be downgraded to Marth's Alt. Which is clearly possible.
Echos are the gimmik of this edition of Super Smash Bros. but in the next installement (I know I'm going fast forward) alts and skins could be the alts/skins, reaching the terrific number of 16 up to 20 for each character. With someones being really special and/or hilarius.
So a lot of echos might be reduced to alt/skins. Like Daisy returning an alt of Peach, while keeping all the aesthetical differences. Included the daisies instead of peaches in the final smash.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That sort of thinking...

akkofingerguns.gif

I LIKE IT!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Byleth Trainer is Smash Snake levels of "completely inaccurate and yet exactly right" and it always makes me laugh.

I still prefer the idea of Byleth's specials being the weapons the house leaders use but I enjoy the Trainer idea. The true golden route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom