• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Belt theory? In that case Sora is a lock!

035CC3D8-B10B-487C-88E3-07BFE01A8C5F.png

Kingdom Hearts has got a MASSIVE hard-on for belt and zippers!

But seriously though, belt theory is as silly as S-M-A-S-H theory, someone would have to be LaxChris tinfoil levels of reaching to unironically believe it.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well I'm sorry I have to do this to all of your favourite characters but you're sleeping on the man who made his belt a weapon!

It's ROBERT FREEMAN!
Belt.png

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I got a theory!!

Leaker Theory!

Leaker theory goes like this: we will bang on and on about theories and ideas for who Number 5 is but two days before the reveal of character 5, when we've already got a pretty good guess of who it is, Sabi and Verge will come out and say the name and say they've known it for months! MAYBE EVEN YEEEEARS!!!

What do y'all think?

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
People please stop with the stupid theories and do something productive.
As if Smash speculation could ever be productive, lol.

I got a theory!!

Leaker Theory!

Leaker theory goes like this: we will bang on and on about theories and ideas for who Number 5 is but two days before the reveal of character 5, when we've already got a pretty good guess of who it is, Sabi and Verge will come out and say the name and say they've known it for months! MAYBE EVEN YEEEEARS!!!

What do y'all think?
Not too shabby! But I can do you one better.

Video Game Theory

All future DLC fighters originate from video games.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly can't remember the last "theory" that actually lead to correctly predicting a character.

People would probably say box theory... but we didn't predict those two characters, they'd already leaked.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly can't remember the last "theory" that actually lead to correctly predicting a character.

People would probably say box theory... but we didn't predict those two characters, they'd already leaked.
I guess you could say box theory showed us the fact that Incineroar and Ken were the last two base additions to Ultimate or that box theory was right and was right we weren't getting more than 2 more characters past Isabelle, unless there was some leak that stated there'd be nothing beyond them for the base roster I'm not aware of.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Stage Builder Theory thought up by me and Noipoi himself.

Remember during:ultjoker:gameplay reveal. There was a stage with an witch and dragon predicting:ultbanjokazooie:and:ulthero:

:smirk:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Remember during:ultjoker:gameplay reveal. There was a stage with an witch and dragon predicting:ultbanjokazooie:and:ulthero:

That was probably more of a huge coincidence than anything...

Looking for hints and references like that is usually pretty ridiculous. It's how we get stuff like chair theory

You sir, just got pretty lucky

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only theory I follow is Vergeben Theory:
Everything he says is donkey **** until he predicts a new character. Then that's who we'll get.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I got a theory!!

Leaker Theory!

What do y'all think?
Kind of an issue: Sabi doesn't predict fighters and honestly should stop being referenced for Smash speculation. Remember with Terry where she literally just piggybacked Vergeben?

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So here's another video regarding character slots. Some of it is information Source Gaming gave us, but some of it is new, I believe.

The TL;DR is basically this:

- CSS Slots (29/30) were apparently removed altogether
- WoL Slots (originally 16) had 2 slots filled by Joker and PP, then two more added for Hero and Banjo. There are still 14 placeholder slots left (12 post pass)
- The "attack" strings in the code (also 16), apparently had 4 of these occupied by the DLC so far, leaving 12 remaining slots (10 post-pass)

My personal guess is that the "attack" strings are being filled in order because they correspond to the order the characters were implemented, but the WoL slots could be ordered differently due to other development reasons (remember, we got VR mode before HRC, even though HRC came first in the numbering order of Games & More modes). I think that depending on how things go, we might see two more slots being added to the "attack" strings in the future.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So here's another video regarding character slots. Some of it is information Source Gaming gave us, but some of it is new, I believe.

The TL;DR is basically this:

- CSS Slots (29/30) were apparently removed altogether
- WoL Slots (originally 16) had 2 slots filled by Joker and PP, then two more added for Hero and Banjo. There are still 14 placeholder slots left (12 post pass)
- The "attack" strings in the code (also 16), apparently had 4 of these occupied by the DLC so far, leaving 12 remaining slots (10 post-pass)

My personal guess is that the "attack" strings are being filled in order because they correspond to the order the characters were implemented, but the WoL slots could be ordered differently due to other development reasons (remember, we got VR mode before HRC, even though HRC came first in the numbering order of Games & More modes). I think that depending on how things go, we might see two more slots being added to the "attack" strings in the future.
I wonder what the “attack” string corresponds to. Kirby’s Copy Ability maybe?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I hope Fighter #5 will be revealed in the Terry presentation or whatever they're going to be doing with Terry. I really want it to be Doom Guy.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I hope Fighter #5 will be revealed in the Terry presentation or whatever they're going to be doing with Terry. I really want it to be Doom Guy.
I dunnowhy.. but i got the feeling it might be either Loyd, or shantae... (not even a supporter of those characters) but i wouldn't rule out doomguy for teh next pass

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm still holding out hope for Phoenix Wright. To get my most-wanted, my partner's most-wanted, and our shared pipe dream in a single pass would be just too sweet.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I dunnowhy.. but i got the feeling it might be either Loyd, or shantae... (not even a supporter of those characters) but i wouldn't rule out doomguy for teh next pass
Lloyd Irving I think has a pretty good chance at being Fighter #5 if Scott Menville's secret project is voicing the character in Smash Ultimate

Shantae seems more likely for the additional DLC though.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Watch that the Namco rep is Agumon, Chosen Dead or KOS-MOS instead. Sakurai surprising us once again as with:ultjoker:and Terry. ;P

He's an man of unpredictability. Don't let your guard down.

Of course it all ends once Vergeben speaks out then we know who it is whenever that maybe.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
>When you realize there is still this whole month left until we get more Smash news...

Maybe I should do some Halloween project to pass the time....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My tip as someone who used to support Shadow is to never take anything for granted or hold ourselves into thinking a small number of specific picks are the only stuff on the run.

It is true that there are some characters such as Doomguy or Hayabusa who have a good number of stuff going on his favour... But so did Shadow.

We need to open our minds as much as possible, dig deeper in regards to many other picks who aren't frequently brought up and prepare ourselves as much as possible for anything.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Watch that we don't get Smash news until the end of November. :troll:
Hmm probably, probably.... :drflip:

My tip as someone who used to support Shadow is to never take anything for granted or hold ourselves into thinking a small number of specific picks are the only stuff on the run.

It is true that there are some characters such as Doomguy or Hayabusa who have a good number of stuff going on his favour... But so did Shadow.

We need to open our minds as much as possible, dig deeper in regards to many other picks who aren't frequently brought up and prepare ourselves as much as possible for anything.
Yeah this pretty much, after Joker and Terry, its best to keep an open mind.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Scott's thing was Teen Titans Go crossing over with Scooby Doo iirc
Another one?
I know there was the time when TTG and Scooby Doo were both in a Lego game, but another one?
Also, doesn’t someone else voice Lloyd these days?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I always felt that predictions need to go in a process of elimination route. Look at which characters are unlikely and then narrow things down. Trying to predict things otherwise doesn't work that well.

Remember when everyone assumed a Ubisoft character was likely for Smash Wii U because of how friendly they were? Instead we got Cloud! Who could have guessed that? You can't. You just can't. I think it's easier to make a list of characters that are very unlikely instead of ones that are likely.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So this is certainly interesting...

Nice to see these videos from Nintendo. While it's not directly related to newcomer speculation, this kind of thing does give me hope that one day we might actually get something revealed at EVO.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Yeah, Lloyd got a different VA, Brian Beacock I believe
Now that I think about it, Lloyd may not really have the best chance after all, unless Sakurai's view on characters have changed which they usually do.
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/26/800/
Interviewer: "Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?"
Sakurai: "There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.” "

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Was it?

I don't recall any Tweets saying it was specifically for that (Even then that's a pretty weird thing to announce you're keeping a secret about)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Was it?

I don't recall any Tweets saying it was specifically for that (Even then that's a pretty weird thing to announce you're keeping a secret about)
NDAs are NDAs regardless, not only is Scooby Doo still vert wellknown, but sometimes it seems obvious like with Cristina Vee being Edelgard, why bother NDA her recognizable voice?
Now that I think about it, Lloyd may not really have the best chance after all, unless Sakurai's view on characters have changed which they usually do.
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/26/800/
Interviewer: "Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?"
Sakurai: "There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.” "
To be fair that may have been when compared to Pacman, and nobody could compare to Pacman

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
NDAs are NDAs regardless, not only is Scooby Doo still vert wellknown, but sometimes it seems obvious like with Cristina Vee being Edelgard, why bother NDA her recognizable voice?
I checked his Twitter and there's no mention about the Scooby Doo crossover, or any major new project he could be working on whatsoever.

You do have a point with NDAs however although in Scott's case if it's Teen Titans Go it would be pretty obvious.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord

What the heck, really?! I don't usually fall for theories, but if a wolf was also on there or something, that's some Sherlock Holmes level stuff y'all figured out. Why didn't this gain traction? It was perfectly hidden in plain sight because of the Joker hype.

I'm about to investigate.

Edit: Okay, so they had a couple of bird themed stages, the witch stage, and at least two dragon stages. That probably wasn't a coincidence. Especially since most of the other levels were blatantly Nintendo themed.

Something that stood out to me was the fish bowl. What could it mean? Ghost Fish? Tecmo Bowl? If Ryu actually becomes a thing, you're theory is 3/5. Even if that's straw graspy and a coincidence, it could legit work. At the very least, it's not as silly as the belt thing or the S.M.A.S.H. acronym or that DV (sorry, guy who came up with that) one from a couple of pages back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom