• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This supposed render is pretty bad. Her hair looks like a piece of cloth, and you could even see some outlines on it as well.

This is probably up there with that SFM Porky trailer awhile back, so we shouldn't take this leak seriously.
Really? Because I think the render is quite good. It's far removed from former render "leaks" in that it looks like an actual model in development. It matches the general art style of Ultimate, and I can seriously believe this. I would throw this one out just yet.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
wait wait wait.... how you gonna disrepect Kirkhope's OST like that?

Top 3 OSTs on N64 (Ocarina, Banjo, Star Fox)
Kirkhope only made Star Fox music for Adventures and didn't make any at all for Zelda.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I pity the poor soul that made that fake render in hopes of getting more people to know what Sakura Wars is. That's guerrilla marketing right there.

Of course, there's no way Sakura Wars gets in Smash, sorry to say.
Alrighty chief, noted. Although, I don't agree with your view point. Is there a likelihood-scale for certain franchises? Oh definitely, no doubts there, but it's highly recommended not to act like you know what goes on in Sakurai's mind. If it turns out you're wrong later on, it could bite you in the bum-bum. Hype and speculate with caution, amigo.

PlasmaBoy75

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0113-1451-3645
Not wrong
The Smash community: "Golly, I'm so glad my favorite childhood characters are playable in this video game that celebrates video games!"

Also the Smash Community: "Ummm, who??? And why???"
Not wrong. YES I SM LOOKING AT YOU FIRE EMBLEM REPS

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The Smash community: "Golly, I'm so glad my favorite childhood characters are playable in this video game that celebrates video games!"

Also the Smash Community: "Ummm, who??? And why???"
Ridley gets in:
"OMG SAKURAI THANK YOU SO MUCH I'LL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING AGAIN!!!11!"
K. Rool gets in:
OMG SAKURAI YOU'RE THE BEST I'LL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING AGAIN!!1!!"
Banjo gets in:
OMG SAKURAI THE MADMAN DID IT I'LL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING AGAIN!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!"
Literally anyone else gets in:
"WHAT THE **** SAKURAI HOW COULD YOU EVER DO SUCH A THING! WHAT ABOUT (insert character no one really started talking about until after K. Rool)! THEY'RE SO IMPORTANT AND YOU'RE JUST GONNA GIVE THEM THE BIG MIDDLE FINGER! THIS IS WORSE THAN IF YOU MURDERED MY KIDS AND BURNED MY HOUSE DOWN I HATE YOU SO MUCH!
Truly the dichotomy of man.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I only really knew about Sakura Wars because I had a friend who really liked the character Cheiron Archer so I'm fond of the idea. I also saw the TGS trailer for the new game and thought it looked neat. A classic Sega series, a big robot, and a cool Kimono design that stands out in Smash?

Definitely interesting... The model looks nice too. I doubt it's real but it's a fun possibility.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sakura Wars is almost completely Japan-only. I highly doubt that it's getting a character.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Really? Because I think the render is quite good. It's far removed from former render "leaks" in that it looks like an actual model in development. It matches the general art style of Ultimate, and I can seriously believe this. I would throw this one out just yet.
I think I have to agree with what Flyboy said last page in that it doesn't seem dynamic enough. Apparently Sakura is a performer, so you'd think she'd be striking a pose or something instead of just wistfully standing. I do agree it's well-made, though.

I honestly hope Sakurai could give her a good moveset though because there's a fan thread on smashboards and, no offense to the thread, but her moveset sounds pretty basic.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Not wrong
Not wrong. YES I SM LOOKING AT YOU FIRE EMBLEM REPS
I admire your self-deprecating awareness. You are also new. I bid you welcome to the forums, but remember not to be a stranger around here. Enjoy your stay and remember to hype responsibly!

Ridley gets in: "OMG SAKURAI THANK YOU SO MUCH I'LL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING AGAIN!!!11!"
K. Rool gets in: OMG SAKURAI YOU'RE THE BEST I'LL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING AGAIN!!1!!"
Banjo gets in: OMG SAKURAI THE MADMAN DID IT I'LL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING AGAIN!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!"
Literally anyone else gets in: "WHAT THE **** SAKURAI HOW COULD YOU EVER DO SUCH A THING! WHAT ABOUT (insert character no one really started talking about until after K. Rool)! THEY'RE SO IMPORTANT AND YOU'RE JUST GONNA GIVE THEM THE BIG MIDDLE FINGER! THIS IS WORSE THAN IF YOU MURDERED MY KIDS AND BURNED MY HOUSE DOWN I HATE YOU SO MUCH!

Truly the dichotomy of man.
In the case of the same group that got these characters in the same game at different points in time, I'd argue the semantics being far closer to the imaginary phrase "dickotomy."

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Sakura Wars is almost completely Japan-only. I highly doubt that it's getting a character.
I have the same sort of doubts, but for different reasons. I unironically think Miku would be next in line if Sega was to try and promote another character whose games they're known for publishing nowadays. Though that's just my personal opinion and this leak could be the real deal.

We'll just have to wait and see.
shrug_a_dug-dug.jpg

Last edited:

PlasmaBoy75

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0113-1451-3645
I admire your self-deprecating awareness. You are also new. I bid you welcome to the forums, but remember not to be a stranger around here. Enjoy your stay and remember to hype responsibly!
What? How do you know I'm new, and what does self-depricating mean?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Honestly despite knowing nothing about Sakura Wars other than Segata Sanshiro dsting Sakura, I can see Masahiro "Go buy an Xbox" Sakurai pull that kind of ****
Except it would be a bad business move because the series is highly obscure outside of Japan.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
What? How do you know I'm new, and what does self-depricating mean?
Your post count suggests you've only recently joined. Compare it to everyone else's. As for "self-deprecating", it means you acknowledged my previous post because, "Hey yeah, I guess I can relate. I'm kind of like both groups too, haha." It's the idea that you can laugh at yourself every now and then.

Except it would be a bad business move because the series is highly obscure outside of Japan.
Yeah no, this isn't even an argument. Smash is an everything-for-everyone deal nowadays. Whether a character is more "relevant" in one part of the world than the other doesn't mean jack diddly squat. If anything, the point of promoting those characters is to get more people on board with their games-of-origin. Smash is a Gateway Series, after all. The Normies already got their Pokemon and their Marios. They've made all the base-roster bank they needed. They can afford to take "risks".

Last edited:

PlasmaBoy75

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0113-1451-3645
Your post count suggests you've only recently joined. Compare it to everyone else's. As for "self-deprecating", it means you acknowledged my previous post because, "Hey yeah, I guess I can relate. I'm kind of like both groups too, haha." It's the idea that you can laugh at yourself every now and then.

Yeah no, this isn't even an argument. Smash is an everything-for-everyone deal nowadays. Whether a character is more "relevant" in one part of the world than the other doesn't mean jack diddly squat. If anything, the point of promoting those characters is to get more people on board with their games-of-origin. Smash is a Gateway Series, after all. The Normies already got their Pokemon and their Marios. They've made all the base-roster bank they needed.
Oh ok then.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think Touhou would be a better comparison, wouldn't it? DQ has had a following in the west for some time, even if it's way smaller than in Japan.
Not only that, Sakura Wars is almost completely Japan only. If it wasn't for the Internet and Project X Zone people in the West would've never even heard of it.
Say that to Lucas. Where did localization go, huh?
Lucas is a special case because the decision to add him was made before the Mother 3 dev team decided to not localize the game. Sakurai had been wanting to make Lucas a playable character since Melee and he even said that Lucas would not have been added to the roster had he known that Mother 3 was going to be Japan only.

Last edited:

PlasmaBoy75

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0113-1451-3645
Not only that, Sakura Wars is completely Japan only. If it wasn't for the Internet and Project X Zone people in the West would've never even heard of it.

Lucas is a special case because the decision to add him was made before the Mother 3 dev team decided to not localize the game. Sakurai had been wanting to make Lucas a playable character since Melee and he even said that Lucas would not have been added to the roster had he known that Mother 3 was going to be Japan only.
So? It has WAY more obscurity.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Not only that, Sakura Wars is completely Japan only. If it wasn't for the Internet and Project X Zone people in the West would've never even heard of it.
Hypothetically speaking, we can still get Sakura as a rep. If it happens, assume Sega is willing to shill the series outside their country. Nintendo basically did that with Fire Emblem eventually, and look where it is now. In fact, some even say that Sakura Wars is to Sega what Fire Emblem is to Nintendo. It would be silly to get a guest character from a franchise that doesn't get releases elsewhere, so her potential inclusion would change that.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Not only that, Sakura Wars is almost completely Japan only. If it wasn't for the Internet and Project X Zone people in the West would've never even heard of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakura_Wars:_So_Long,_My_Love
This Sakura Wars was actually localized for the Wii and the new Project Sakura Wars next year is getting a worldwide release as well.

Also, several of the anime adaptations have gotten localizations which increases its exposure in the West. Still very niche, but not nonexistent.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hypothetically speaking, we can still get Sakura as a rep. If it happens, assume Sega is willing to shill the series outside their country. Nintendo basically did that with Fire Emblem eventually, and look where it is now. In fact, some even say that Sakura Wars is to Sega what Fire Emblem is to Nintendo. It would be silly to get a guest character from a franchise that doesn't get releases elsewhere, so her potential inclusion would change that.
Considering that she would be DLC, she would have low sales in everywhere except Japan due to the fact that Sakura Wars is almost unheard of in the West and would be a sign that the Smash dev team only cares about the Japanese market.

PlasmaBoy75

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0113-1451-3645
Hmm what did you say? Is Lucas NEVER GOING TO BE REMEMBERED?!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Considering that she would be DLC, she would have low sales in everywhere except Japan due to the fact that Sakura Wars is almost unheard of in the West and would be a sign that the Smash dev team only cares about the Japanese market.
It's still a new Smash character at the end of the day...

most people would probably just end up buying her regardless, just to have the complete Smash experience

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I don't know about low sales, but probably lower. It certainly wouldn't help the "anime swordsperson" rhetoric though. Also, it was Nintendo, not the Smash dev team.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Not necessarily true. Refer to:

It's still a new Smash character at the end of the day...

most people would probably just end up buying her regardless, just to have the complete Smash experience
The more the merrier when it comes to choices. A lack of knowledge in a character can be fixed if you just get to know more about them. I'm completely indifferent to tons of Smash characters, and yet I value their presence in the game because it means I have options and potential competition. Seeing what people do with their favorites is part of the fun in Smash. It would be dull just seeing characters only I could possibly recognize.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know about low sales, but probably lower. It certainly wouldn't help the "anime swordsperson" rhetoric though. Also, it was Nintendo, not the Smash dev team.
Yeah. It would in general be a problematic inclusion and someone like Doomguy, Crash, or Ryu Hayabusa would be a better choice for DLC.

PlasmaBoy75

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0113-1451-3645
Not necessarily true. Refer to:

The more the merrier when it comes to choices. A lack of knowledge in a character can be fixed if you just get to know more about them. I'm completely indifferent to tons of Smash characters, and yet I value their presence in the game because it means I have options and potential competition. Seeing what people do with their favorites is part of the fun in Smash. It would be dull just seeing characters only I could possibly recognize.
Yeah. Like the Fire Emblem reps. I didn't know them, then I learned more and started playing their games.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yeah. It would in general be a problematic inclusion and someone like Doomguy, Crash, or Ryu Hayabusa would be a better choice for DLC.
See, going for mainstream choices is both safe and boring. Don't limit the audiences' options only to what they know. Provide opportunities, mix things up, and most importantly, give lesser-known franchises some wiggle room. And no offense, but Doom Slayer and Hayabusa have been discussed to death. They have history going for 'em and that's about it. I'm certain they'll appear at some point, but we're gonna be getting "unknowns" as well whether you like it or not.

Then there's Crash...who's just an infinitely inferior Cereal Mascot and a dull version of Banjo's archetype. If Sakurai was to add any other platformer character in that league, I would much rather we get Ratchet & Clank as improbable as that duo is.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
See, going for mainstream choices is both safe and boring. Don't limit the audiences' options only to what they know. Provide opportunities, mix things up, and most importantly, give lesser-known franchises some wiggle room. And no offense, but Doom Slayer and Hayabusa have been discussed to death. They have history going for 'em and that's about it. I'm certain they'll appear at some point, but we're gonna be getting "unknowns" as well whether you like it or not.

Then there's Crash...who's just an infinitely inferior Cereal Mascot and a dull version of Banjo's archetype. If Sakurai was to add any other platformer character in that league, I would much rather we get Ratchet & Clank as improbable as that duo is.
I'll say. With how Reggie and other people from Nintendo kept telling us that the Fighter's Pass would feature unexpected characters, people sure love expecting the expected kind of characters.

. . .That wording's not very good.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
As someone who doesn't know much about Sakura Wars, does anyone know what Sakura can do for her moveset? My only exposure to the series is from that Segata Sanshiro commercial, so I'd like an idea of how she'd fight.

Also, I'd be down for weird Japan-only picks for DLC. I'd think Sega would wanna push someone like Kiryu or Arle before a series that was never released in the US, but I love being caught off-guard with unexpected **** like that.

PlasmaBoy75

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0113-1451-3645
I'll say. With how Reggie and other people from Nintendo kept telling us that the Fighter's Pass would feature unexpected characters, people sure love expecting the expected kind of characters.

. . .That wording's not very good.
So do you think people would have guessed Terry even if he wasn't leaked by Nintendo themselves? Also Reggie is gone now. Rip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom