• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I wouldn't call Crash a poor man's cereal mascot, though. And don't encourage shaming, it is already toxic enough around here.
Compared to the likes of Banjo and Ratchet though? I was referring to move-set potential. There are definitely furry fighters within the realm of fun and interesting and Crash is kind of the "Mario" of platformers with strong ties to Sony. That is to say, he's kind of vanilla given what other options are available. Nothing wrong with supporting him though!

DrifloonEmpire said:
I don't care about Sakura myself, and while it is good to be exposed to new series people shouldn't be ashamed if it doesn't appeal to them. It's also fair to say that her chances aren't huge, remember that Sakurai does care about a character being more internationally known. We nearly didn't get Lucas and it was his reasoning for not including Takamaru.

Either way, people need to be more respectful, and that goes for both sides
Literally no one here is saying she's confirmed, or even:

"Sakura? It's more likely than you think!"

We're arguing that we shouldn't rule her out despite of her chances being seemingly small. Goal posts tend to move around a lot when it comes to speculation, so humoring possibilities are a welcome change of pace. That being said, I do agree that there should always be a respectful attitude when it comes to these discussions, which is why I try my best getting points across in a way that's fair to the reader; to shed new perspectives, you know?

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
But honestly tho if the man really is the one choosing all the DLCs then I wouldn't expect any galge characters because he would never put them into his Super Sakurai Wars.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
with my last post said, i do think that--if real--this is likely a render and not the model placeholder, albeit possibly an earlier version like how shulk/falco/palutena received updates and is also compressed to ****

1569453836831.png

details seem a little too refined in places, like the folds on the cloth sleeves and the shine on the skirt details

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I know little about ArcSystem but I praise the logic in this statement. I wish people would apply this logic to other third party companies as well.

Who was Kunio purchased from?
In 2015, Arc System Works obtained the intellectual properties of Technos Japan, which at the time were owned by Million Co. Ltd., which was created to purchase the properties of Technos Japan after they declared bankruptcy in 1996 (Here's the Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_System_Works). They owned the rights to Super Dodgeball, Kunio, and Double Dragon. So it was more or less purchasing mostly dead IP without a backer. I personally would also expect Double Dragon to lead the charge on a beat-em-up representative just because of how much larger it was internationally and how it's generally considered to be the gold standard of beat-em-up games, but that's me.

Arc System Works started as far back as 1988, and they ended up making Guilty Gear in 1998, which would be the game that would go on to largely define them. Arc System Works has become synonymous with beautifully animated fighting games of high quality such as Blazblue, Dragonball FighterZ, Persona 4 Arena, and the upcoming Granblue Fantasy Versus. That's essentially what their brand has become most well known for in years and what represents them beyond all else, with Guilty Gear still being their baby and original title in many ways, though it's arguable about how far Blazblue has come since it was introduced. Either one of those two series would be your ideal way to represent Arc System Works for their own pedigree and IPs.

Kunio and Double Dragon are just specifically IPs you go for to represent beat-em-ups as very much the classic and most popular IPs in that genre of games. Thus, Kunio and Sol Badguy are characters that would be picked under entirely different circumstances and for different reasons despite being under the same developer. It's very similar to the question of the Microsoft rep; the reasons you would pick Master Chief, Steve, or Banjo & Kazooie were all vastly different and had little to no overlap beyond the company. If you're choosing to represent Microsoft, Chief is the clear best option as their mascot, Steve if you're going for the most broadly appealing game, and Banjo & Kazooie for the fans in Ultimate. Which one you choose is entirely reliant on your priorities prior to approaching the developer.

Unrelated to you, if we're getting a more obscure Japanese focused Sega character, I think Arle Nadja makes way, way, way more sense as Puyo Puyo is one of Sega's most popular IPs not in the game and Puyo Puyo seems to actually be doing decently well in the West these days, to the point where we've seen something like Puyo Puyo 2 available in the west for the first time through Nintendo Switch Online and several recent releases of Puyo Puyo as actual Puyo Puyo. The only issue I might see with her is moveset, but there are so many cool things you can do with a puzzle character that Sakurai hasn't had a chance to try yet, so I'm all in favor of her inclusion. I just would hope that Sakurai might tune down the hyper cutesy look I think she has in the more recent titles and reflect more of her muted earlier appearances, but that's me.

D

Deleted member

Im going to be totally honest.

The notion of a character being too niche at this point its kinda ridiculous. If you look at the numbers, pretty much the only franchise that could be considered big this DLC cycle so far is DQ and even then the franchise is quite niche in the west compared to some other options. And then its even funnier to see people to not apply the same logic with characters like Hayabusa, Travis, Heavy or Doomguy which are niche in one of the important markets.

I doubt Sakura is coming for the fighter pass, post fighter pass is fair game, if only due to Sega already adding Joker. If she is in, I very welcome her despite my unfamiliarity with her in particular as her series is fantastic (I played So Long My Love which I highly recommend).

Remember that every character is nicher than :ultmario: and :ultpikachu:. And since 64 we have niche characters in the game like :ultbayonetta::ultness::ulticeclimbers:, so instead of searching arguments about why x character is not happening due to being unknown why not try searching reasons why characters despite being niche could be in. A lot of them would be very cool.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
so instead of searching arguments about why x character is not happening due to being unknown why not try searching reasons why characters despite being niche could be in. A lot of them would be very cool.
Yall think im kidding but this is forreal. In my opinion, Gordon has a better chance than Edelgard.

For his down taunt, he calls the opponent, "A ****ING donkey".

Sysreq

Smash Ace
so instead of searching arguments about why x character is not happening due to being unknown why not try searching reasons why characters despite being niche could be in. A lot of them would be very cool.
I agree with this sentiment, but there obviously is a balance between "niche" and "literal whos". Since this is DLC, there has to be recognizability on some level. Like, I don't think we're getting Iggy from Iggy's Reckin Balls.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
with my last post said, i do think that--if real--this is likely a render and not the model placeholder, albeit possibly an earlier version like how shulk/falco/palutena received updates and is also compressed to ****

View attachment 239565

details seem a little too refined in places, like the folds on the cloth sleeves and the shine on the skirt details
Not sure if it's just me, but I think it looks like that the Sakura model is a different resolution compared to the Smash logo. Feels like a photoshop to me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not sure if it's just me, but I think it looks like that the Sakura model is a different resolution compared to the Smash logo. Feels like a photoshop to me.
Yes. I took a closer look at it and I think that you're right.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yes. I took a closer look at it and I think that you're right.
Or maybe, hear me out, it’s an in-developmental screenshot and that’s why the resolution is of poor quality?

Idk, just food for thought I guess.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yall think im kidding but this is forreal. In my opinion, Gordon has a better chance than Edelgard.

For his down taunt, he calls the opponent, "A ****ING donkey".

Final Smash: He takes two pieces of bread and makes an idiot sandwich with his opponents!

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
it's unhelpful that we don't know the context behind the screenshot--could be an early promo page, could be some kind of internal material, could be anything

what i will say is that when i was playing around with it in photoshop to try and (unsuccessfully) clean it up a little bit, i noticed it was quite a bit more detailed than it looks from the regular size - the rough edges in many cases are actually just the kimono's folds, and the resolution seems about proportional to the logo

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Or maybe, hear me out, it’s an in-developmental screenshot and that’s why the resolution is of poor quality?

Idk, just food for thought I guess.
Compare the Sakura model resolution with the resolution of the image (the Smash logo specifically). If you can, zoom in on the image. You might perceive (at least I did) a difference in resolution between the Smash Bros Ultimate logo and Sakura model. I'll say it is one of the best looking fake character models out there. If it transpires that it is actually real though, I'll happily eat my serving of crow (as someone who also wants Sakura in).

it's unhelpful that we don't know the context behind the screenshot--could be an early promo page, could be some kind of internal material, could be anything

what i will say is that when i was playing around with it in photoshop to try and (unsuccessfully) clean it up a little bit, i noticed it was quite a bit more detailed than it looks from the regular size - the rough edges in many cases are actually just the kimono's folds, and the resolution seems about proportional to the logo
That is definitely interesting. It is definitely one of the better character models out there for sure if it is fan-made.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Compare the Sakura model resolution with the resolution of the image (the Smash logo specifically). If you can, zoom in on the image. You might perceive (at least I did) a difference in resolution between the Smash Bros Ultimate logo and Sakura model. I'll say it is one of the best looking fake character models out there. If it transpires that it is actually real though, I'll happily eat my serving of crow (as someone who also wants Sakura in).
I think that may just be because they were two separate images and one happened to be lower resolution than the other, I don’t think it means much against the leak but I completely see where you’re coming from with this.

D

Deleted member

I still don't believe it, a random render of an almost Japanese exclusive character from a company that already has a character in the dlc pass. This isn't like the time Ken got leaked since that was a photo of the gameplay with a debug menu on it. Plus it seems to piggyback that other fake 4chan about the female mecha character and that milk guy.

My thoughts on the character: I think it's a bad choice since there's really nothing that stands out about her, she just looks pretty generic. The fact that only 1 game was released outside of Japan and the next one that comes out won't be on the switch, doesn't help her out too.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
model has been found

D

Deleted member

model has been found

can't see it

Now I can. Another one bites the dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

One of the better fakes, I doubt it's real too, people always """"leak"""" renders on 4chan that turn out to be fake in a day or 2.
HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF YET AGAIN

D

Deleted member

model has been found

[twitter post]
"This render is detailed so it might not be fake!"

Well no wonder some people were saying this. It was actually from another game!

but seriously, that 4chan image does a disservice to that model of Sakura.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yeah I’m happy we got our brains flowing and this allowed us to think outside the box and remember that Japan usually comes first for Smash lmao.

Seriously there was a reason I thought this had a chance, this kinda made sense as an idea and she had a detailed model but of course there was a reason she had a detailed model lmao.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind if the Sakura render thing would have lasted longer for the sake of variety. xD

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Another fake leak down for the count.

Back to detailing why Agitha would be the best Zelda newcomer...

Roberk

Smash Champion
Back to what we've been talking about for months, haha...
Really wished this lasted for more than an afternoon even if it was fake.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Geez people, I get the complaints that speculation is basically around just a few characters, but... You don't have to wait for fake leaks to talk about other stuff.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Welp...now let's talk about why Excitebiker will be Fighter Pack 5!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
26th of September:
"Still waiting for Poochy and Bandana Dee yet again for Smash Ultimate's future DLC."
The next dlc pack would be again third party reps. First Party has low chance but no hard feelings.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Well wowie, Sakura rumor got debunked right before I joined in.

Glad it’s fake, Hero was already a marketing strategy of appealing a primary Japan-orientated series to the Western audience so adding another one for the sake of it unless she’s added for a different reason would’ve been pointless.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom