• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's not entirely unreasonable, but they've never gone out of their way to release characters on anniversaries before, so I wouldn't count on it
The Robin/Lucina trailer in 4 had Captain Falcon in it cause it was on the anniversary of F-Zero X, iirc. That’s one instance I can think of.

ze9

Smash Ace
To be fair, I always construed Galeem and Dharkon as holding their subjects prisoner, no one would willingly side with them. Ultimately the Smashers defy them both cause otherwise it’s the end of the universe if either wins. It’s kinda like Dissidia in concept but different in principle.
When I was playing WoL, I thought it would have been fun if Dharkon showed up before the fighters defeated Galeem, and offered them his help. Maybe even in the first stages, when you only have Kirby and a few other characters. Then there could have been a story where somebody decides to side with the new intergalactic cosmic horror to defeat the old one, while somebody else would have gone up against both and against all odds etc. etc.
Could have been a fun premise. But that would require something more in line with how SSE worked, so... Yeah. Still, potentially a cool storyline for a crossover and something that would let Mario fight against Sonic and Ridley side with Samus without the need of too many justifications. Maybe next time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In terms of Sakurai OCs, there's the curious case of Bandana Waddle Dee who was created by Sakurai for Megaton Punch in Kirby Super Star but wasn't fleshed out until he became player 4 in the modern Kirby era

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Wouldn't they have withheld the Zero and Proto Man costumes until then, though? I know that Mii costumes don't really prove anything, but it at the very least would make a bit more sense to me if the Capcom costumes came with a Capcom character.
I mean, some Capcom costumes released with Mewtwo in Smash 4 - right before Ryu's announcement, in fact. If any company aside from Namco is okay with not holding back these costumes until a character arrives, it's Capcom.

So far, I think only Sega and Square Enix have done this "costumes always release with our characters" thing, really. And even that might change in the future.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Are we really complaining about characters that are in the game? Like I get complaining about characters not making, but complaining about characters making it.
Ain't it incredible that some annoyingly vocal members of a fandom can get toxic because they were given too much of a good thing? Like, wasn't the whole point of "Everyone Is Here!" to please as many people as possible by making sure nobody from the entire franchise was cut while also introducing brand new fan favorites from the ballot and beyond?

And now we've devolved as a community to the point where we're like "Hey, you know that unprecedented thing that Sakurai and his team worked hard on just to make us happy, even after we spent years harassing him online over how unsatisfied we were with the Smash 4 roster? You know, that thing that we all collectively wanted? Yeah, screw that thing, in retrospect it was a huge mistake that will only hurt the roster in the long run."

C'mon, guys, take a step back and see the whole picture here.

Can we please stop with the "So-and-So doesn't deserve it" posts and go back to...y'know, speculating who might get in?

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
So Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, and Banjo all released on Weekdays, so will Terry and the 5th DLC figher be released on weekdays too?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm thinking that Terry gets in on November 13th because it's the day before my birthday of the Amiibo dates and it being a Wednesday. It may seem early to announce pack 5 then, but not impossible. I feel like at most we'd get another costume wave and maybe a tease for when the next fighter is coming - betting on The Game Awards to go full circle.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, and Banjo all released on Weekdays, so will Terry and the 5th DLC figher be released on weekdays too?
Looking for patterns in Smash is an exersize futility honestly.
Yet we continue to try and make order from the chaos.

Smash's DLC does usually drop on weekdays along side a direct but it remains to be seen.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think that if we are getting a Koei Tecmo rep it would probably be Ryu Hayabusa.
I honestly don't see another viable option from Koei Tecmo. Nothing against Kasumi and the other KT characters, but I think it's obvious Hayabusa comes first. Besides, I don't imagine Sakurai picking other character from KT and not Ryu, knowing he likes to represent retro and classic games.

Honestly there's a part of me that really wants to see a Pyramid Head Mii costume just for the reactions. I doubt Silent Hill will get a playable fighter as much as I love that series, but it'd be really funny to me if you could just put a big *** Pyramid over your Mii's head
Yes, please.

I'd gladly pay for that costume if it comes along with a music track from SH2 like this one:

Such a great game.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Looking for patterns in Smash is an exersize futility honestly.
Yet we continue to try and make order from the chaos.

Smash's DLC does usually drop on weekdays along side a direct but it remains to be seen.
Well, back in the good old days, in Smash 4, Lucas, Roy and Ryu were relased on a Sunday. And that has been the only weekend DLC release as of now. I can't wait to see Terry arrive this holiday season.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So anyone hear this yet?

Seems reasonable, but at the same time when does Doom Eternal drop? Early November? If it’s before that date, FP5 probably won’t be Doom Slayer...
Who is this Firox guy and why should I trust them?

I'm hard pressed to believe even Sabi and Vergeben, let alone some random person on the internet.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Considering what Silent Hill is, it wouldn't work in Smash.
I don't think Silent Hill will be in Smash in any form, but for that particular reason you're saying anything SH related in Smash would be more shocking than the Mii Costume for Sans. At least for me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
A Pyramid Head Hat would be a pretty innocent inclusion in my opinion. Those that know what it is would enjoy it and those that don't would find it funny putting a giant triangle on their Mii's head.

I do agree that the character itself doesn't really fit as a playable character though considering it's supposed to be scary and out of context looks really dumb. As a boss on the other hand...

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I'd say Piramid Head has no business being in Smash but then I remember that my introduction to those ****ers was a Konami themed sports minigame compilation
Funny you mentioned that, because that's what got me thinking about the possibility of slapping a giant triangle on a Mii's head. I doubt it's gonna happen, but considering how much Konami has milked those triangle-headed ****ers by putting them in sports games, I wouldn't put it past them to do something that ridiculous. There is the problem of what they're supposed to represent in Silent Hill 2, but I doubt anyone who hasn't played the game is gonna pick that up from a silly Mii costume

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Let's answer my own question, and try and keep it to only one (or two)

In Smash (Playable)
Bandai Namco - Heihachi/Lloyd
Capcom - Leon Kennedy
Konami - Bill Rizer/Lance Bean
Microsoft - Master Chief/Ori
Nintendo - Dixie Kong
Sega - Gunstar Red or Blue/Beat/Nights
Square Enix - Crono/2B

In Smash (Non-Playable)
Koei Tecmo - Ryu Hayabusa
Ubisoft - Jade/Prince

Not In Smash
Activision Blizzard - Tracer
Aksys Games - Sol Badguy
Bethesda - Doom Slayer
EA - Commander Shepherd
NIS America - Laharl
Paradox - NA
Sony - Kratos
Take Two - Big Daddy
THQ Nordic - War
Warner Bros. - Scorpion
XSEED Games/Marvelous USA - Travis Touchdown

In Smash (Playable)
Capcom - Jill Valentine/Viewtiful Joe/Phoenix Wright
Konami - Bomberman/Goemon
Microsoft - Cuphead
Nintendo - Isaac/Dixie Kong
Sega - Tails/Jet Set Radio character?
Square Enix - Sora

In Smash (Non-Playable)
Ubisoft - Rayman

Not In Smash
Activision Blizzard - Crash/Spyro
Aksys Games - N/A
Bethesda - N/A
EA - N/A
NIS America - N/A
Paradox - NA
Sony - Ratchet and Clank I guess?
Take Two - N/A
THQ Nordic - N/A
Warner Bros. - N/A
XSEED Games/Marvelous USA - Jack/Pete (Story of Seasons farmer)

I'm gonna add in here Level 5: Layton/Jibanyan

I wrote N/A for anything I have no opinion on or just don't want anything from.

NGL I was gonna talk about how disappointed I was that everyone seems to have glossed over Marvelous (and therefore SoS), but man I just don't care about most of these options. So I don't really have room to talk lmao. It is interesting to me though that it makes this list, most people seem to be aware of Story of Seasons (if only as Harvest Moon), the genre at least appears to be doing well right now in the indie space and with the announcement of multiple new games by Marvelous, and yet no one except for me talks about it at all? People clearly enjoy these games, but I'm starting to suspect that those people and the Smash community just don't intersect much.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Who is this Firox guy and why should I trust them?

I'm hard pressed to believe even Sabi and Vergeben, let alone some random person on the internet.
He's not a leaker, he's a member of this site. He just heard rumors and decided to ask in the Geno thread what everyone thought, and gave his own speculation.

D

Deleted member

Seems reasonable, but at the same time when does Doom Eternal drop? Early November? If it’s before that date, FP5 probably won’t be Doom Slayer...
DOOM Eternal releases on the 22nd of November, which is 3 days before the rumored release date for Terry. I don't really know as to why that should affect Doom Slayer's chances, but I think Eternal might have enough time to get nominations from the Game Awards since they're about a good few weeks off from each other. That won't guarantee a reveal for Smash at the Game Awards though.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
TGalleom gave Lucas a really great moment, but it's design was pretty eh. Duon was an interesting concept but a pretty poor excecution.
They both need to be replaced with the Wily Machine and Metal Gear REX.

Galeem and Dharkon aren't the best designs and could have used some more story and voice acting, but the music really helped make their battles feel epic. Tabuu has one of the best fights in the series, but should have had a larger presence throughout the story since twist villians are incredibly difficult to pull off in a story without dialogue. I don't think Smash is incapable with coming up with a cool new character, but there's so much good material to pull from that it's going to be really hard to top it.
Once all of the DLC finishes coming out, they need to add another map to WoL that has all the DLC characters on it, but also adds another boss:

Tabuu shows up and absorbs Galeem and Dharkon's remains, and instead of having butterfly wings, he has two Galeem angel wings and two Dharkon...spider tentacles? Whatever those are.

Tabuu Ultimate!

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
In Smash (Playable)
Capcom - Jill Valentine/Viewtiful Joe/Phoenix Wright
Konami - Bomberman/Goemon
Microsoft - Cuphead
Nintendo - Isaac/Dixie Kong
Sega - Tails/Jet Set Radio character?
Square Enix - Sora

In Smash (Non-Playable)
Ubisoft - Rayman

Not In Smash
Activision Blizzard - Crash/Spyro
Aksys Games - N/A
Bethesda - N/A
EA - N/A
NIS America - N/A
Paradox - NA
Sony - Ratchet and Clank I guess?
Take Two - N/A
THQ Nordic - N/A
Warner Bros. - N/A
XSEED Games/Marvelous USA - Jack/Pete (Story of Seasons farmer)

I'm gonna add in here Level 5: Layton/Jibanyan

I wrote N/A for anything I have no opinion on or just don't want anything from.

NGL I was gonna talk about how disappointed I was that everyone seems to have glossed over Marvelous (and therefore SoS), but man I just don't care about most of these options. So I don't really have room to talk lmao. It is interesting to me though that it makes this list, most people seem to be aware of Story of Seasons (if only as Harvest Moon), the genre at least appears to be doing well right now in the indie space and with the announcement of multiple new games by Marvelous, and yet no one except for me talks about it at all? People clearly enjoy these games, but I'm starting to suspect that those people and the Smash community just don't intersect much.
I'm willing to bet a lot of people fondly remember original Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons but I feel like the naming situation really does damper it for discussion sake. Also the fact that Pete isn't exactly a distinguishable name and a lot of forget thats the farmer's default name. Still i'd love to have him, tons of fond memories to Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons and I'm a sucker for unconventional movesets.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Considering what Silent Hill is, it wouldn't work in Smash.
Not really any different than having Fatal Frame girl as an AT.

I'd say Piramid Head has no business being in Smash but then I remember that my introduction to those ****ers was a Konami themed sports minigame compilation
Considering he's even in Bomberman and Konami's Mario Kart ripoff...

1568676976848.png

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
trying to say Terry will release on a weekday cause the other DLC has sounds like a nice pattern in theory

but we also just got Banjo shadow-dropped the day of the direct, which hasn't happened since Ryu/Lucas/Roy, so it's not like they're always doing everything by a specific schedule

D

Deleted member

I feel that Terry could very well be released at any point of November, I feel there's not really any telling as to which date though due to the schedule of the other fighters being all over the place.

Also regarding Pyramid Head as a Mii costume, it could totally work! After all latest Bomberman game had one as a costume.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
trying to say Terry will release on a weekday cause the other DLC has sounds like a nice pattern in theory

but we also just got Banjo shadow-dropped the day of the direct, which hasn't happened since Ryu/Lucas/Roy, so it's not like they're always doing everything by a specific schedule
New Theory.

Weekday Theory. :p

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm mostly uncomfortable with the idea of Pyramid Head as a costume knowing that the game's creator doesn't like how Konami has been using it as a "mascot". But I do think it'd make a really cool costume.

D

Deleted member

I'm mostly uncomfortable with the idea of Pyramid Head as a costume knowing that the game's creator doesn't like how Konami has been using it as a "mascot". But I do think it'd make a really cool costume.
Really? First time I heard about that.

It's a similar reason as to why I wouldn't like Quote from Cave Story, as the owner of the series now is Nicalis which is pretty ****ty.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Really? First time I heard about that.

It's a similar reason as to why I wouldn't like Quote from Cave Story, as the owner of the series now is Nicalis which is pretty ****ty.
P head served a purpose in silent hill 2 but konami didn't really respect the artistic integrity of his purpose in 2

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
So anyone hear this yet?

If Hero can drop two months before Dragon Quest 11 S, I don't see why Doom Guy can't drop two months after Doom Eternal's release. They don't have to line-up the release dates and most hype around games tends to last for a few months anyway.

New Theory.

Weekday Theory. :p
Screw it, just go for days that end in Y theory. Why go for only a 5/7 chance when you can go for 7/7?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
DOOM Eternal releases on the 22nd of November, which is 3 days before the rumored release date for Terry. I don't really know as to why that should affect Doom Slayer's chances, but I think Eternal might have enough time to get nominations from the Game Awards since they're about a good few weeks off from each other. That won't guarantee a reveal for Smash at the Game Awards though.
I don't think Doom Eternal will be eligible for the next Game Awards. I don't know the cutoff date for the upcoming edition, but last year's cutoff date was november 16. If that date is very similar for the 2019 edition, I don't think Doom will get nominations.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
In terms of Sakurai OCs, there's the curious case of Bandana Waddle Dee who was created by Sakurai for Megaton Punch in Kirby Super Star but wasn't fleshed out until he became player 4 in the modern Kirby era
I'm actually a bit surprised at the absence of Kirby content in Smash. We only have three playable characters, not many songs or remixes from the newer games, and a couple of assist trophies. It's severely underrepresented, but I personally don't see Bandanna Dee bringing too much to the table in terms of DLC unless he was a base game character. Adeliene would probably be a better choice for a first party Kirby rep.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I'm actually a bit surprised at the absence of Kirby content in Smash. We only have three playable characters, not many songs or remixes from the newer games, and a couple of assist trophies. It's severely underrepresented, but I personally don't see Bandanna Dee bringing too much to the table in terms of DLC unless he was a base game character. Adeliene would probably be a better choice for a first party Kirby rep.
I think Sakurai might be self conscious about appearing biased, and that's why there's so little kirby content

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I don't think Doom Eternal will be eligible for the next Game Awards. I don't know the cutoff date for the upcoming edition, but last year's cutoff date was november 16. If that date is very similar for the 2019 edition, I don't think Doom will get nominations.
The Game Awards are a week later than they usually are.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...but I personally don't see Bandanna Dee bringing too much to the table in terms of DLC unless he was a base game character.
In that case he wouldn't be a DLC character now would he? lol

If he does get in though I fully expect him to be a less gimmicky character like Banjo & Kazooie, and may be ridiculed for it. I hope it wouldn't be too bad though. Not every character needs fighting game inputs/Limit Breaks/easy 0-death combos & Witch Time/Persona/Command Selection to add something unique to the game.

I think Sakurai might be self conscious about appearing biased, and that's why there's so little kirby content
That's definitely a lot less cynical than the "Sakurai hates new Kirby" theory. Still, I would like to see Sakurai's take on anything Kirby that happened after Kirby Superstar Ultra.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's definitely a lot less cynical than the "Sakurai hates new Kirby" theory. Still, I would like to see Sakurai's take on anything Kirby that happened after Kirby Superstar Ultra.
Hate is a strong word, but all you have to do is look at the Kirby content, check which Kirby games Sakurai made, and compare the two to see what's up.

I mean, we have more content from Air Ride, a spin-off made by Sakurai, than most main titles made without Sakurai.

I think Bandana Dee's omission owes heavily to how Sakurai treats that series.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not every character needs fighting game inputs/Limit Breaks/easy 0-death combos & Witch Time/Persona/Command Selection to add something unique to the game.
Bandana Dee would be the perfect "bottle episode" for DLC. Not just for the lack of gimmicks, but also for his simple shape and not really needing to come with an extra stage.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Although I can deal with Joker/Ren's inclusion, I can already think of at least 10 3rd party newcomers that would be worse for me.

Quote (cave story), Yuri (fatal frame), Cuphead, Frisk, Travis (no more heroes), Chell (portal) and Shovel Knight would be 5 times worse.

Beck (mighty no 9), Lilac (freedom Planet), Marina (mischief makers), and Neku (the world ends with you) would be 10 times worse.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
If i'd make a list of characters which inclusions have a higher likelihood (and still such a thing is never safe to assume) than others, Travis would definitely top my list, followed by Dante and Crash. But again, nothing is safe to be assumed as "likely" as many people do.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
If i'd make a list of characters which inclusions have a higher likelihood (and still such a thing is never safe to assume) than others, Travis would definitely top my list, followed by Dante and Crash. But again, nothing is safe to be assumed as "likely" as many people do.
I want Dante and Crash Bandicoot, but not Travis.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I wouldn't say there is a lack of Kirby content, very far from it, but it is definitely polarized in how it's represented from the history of the series. It's kind of a shame we couldn't get the planned Epic Yarn stage. Only series that's worse than Kirby in that regard is Wario. There are at songs, albeit non-remixed, from modern Kirby games, and the Halberd was updated for Ultimate (GCO apparently is based on SSU, but same difference).

I feel like a lot of series just need fresh stages more than anything, especially given the Wii U is missing the largest amount of stages of the previous entries. Future characters aside, 1st or 3rd Party, I hope we can at least fill up the SSS before support for the game ends (109 stages + Random).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom