• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Have you heard about the S.M.A.S.H. theory?

Square Enix=> Hero
Microsoft => Banjo-Kazooie
Atlus => Joker
SNK => Terry
H??? => ???

osby

Smash Obsessed

Square Enix=> Hero
Atlus => Joker
SNK => Terry
H??? => ???
Yes, it means we're going to get Hatsune Miku from HCrypton Future Media.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Square Enix=> Hero
Atlus => Joker
SNK => Terry
H??? => ???
You know, I'll actually explain why this is garbage.

Joker is owned by Atlus, who is owned by Sega
Banjo is owned by Rare, who is owned by Microsoft.
Terry is ownes by SNK, who is owned by Tencent I believe

The point here is that you have to make an exception as seen with Banjo here, then it's flimsy at best, I argued this about music theory too and I turned out to be right that music theory was bogus

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

The point here is that you have to make an exception as seen with Banjo here, then it's flimsy at best, I argued this about music theory too and I turned out to be right that music theory was bogus
Shin Megami Tensei X Smash confirmed!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Poor Kyo deserves it though, he has yet to be in a crossover outside of SNK (besides the general Capcom ones), while pretty much every other iconic SNK character is at the moment. (plus he and Terry fight nothing alike).

Not that SNK is getting a 2nd character though.

Sorry for the 50 million edits it's incredibly late for me lmao.
Depends on how long the DLC cycle lasts for. Realistically, I see three characters past the Fighters pass but if it does go on for the full 16 we could see more SNK characters. Though I would also expect Nakaruru before Kyo.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Seriously though, a Smash RPG with Megami Tensei magic system would be the hypest ****.
With 70+ characters I wouldn't be surprised if the characters who've already been in an RPG have their mechanics ported over. (Ex. Cloud has an ATB gauge and Limit Breaks, Mario & Luigi have action commands, Joker has Personas, Ness has HP scrolling, Lucas has rhythm based attacks, etc.)

EDIT: A Fire Emblem game like this would be really cool too. Just think of the support conversations!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
With 70+ characters I wouldn't be surprised if the characters who've already been in an RPG have their mechanics ported over. (Ex. Cloud has an ATB gauge and Limit Breaks, Mario & Luigi have action commands, Joker has Personas, Ness has HP scrolling, Lucas has rhythm based attacks, etc.)

EDIT: A Fire Emblem game like this would be really cool too. Just think of the support conversations!
Wouldn't ATB be broken in a game with regular turn based combat? It'd let Cloud literally solo everything as he doesn't need to wait till the enemy moves again to have a turn

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Namco X Capcom style game - Strategy RPG maps, Smash-style battles. Throw in some FE support conversations and I'm sold.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash already does less than the bare minimum for character interactions what makes you guys think a Smash RPG would be any better
JRPGs typically featuring more character interactions compared to fighting games.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I kinda hope they do a first party pass, and then end it with one more third party pass. SSBU would have so many game worlds collide!

mostly just because i want a rhythm heaven rep please sakurai ive been good

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
You know what I find interesting? For all the people that think Bethesda is getting a rep in Ultimate's DLC, it blows my mind that everyone thinks it will be Doomslayer over Dovahkiin. I understand that the Doom franchise is credited for creating the FPS genre and that he's iconic in that sense, but I could see Nintendo pulling this out of a hat. Skyrim was so popular and influential that most modern masterpieces (like BotW) draw inspiration from it. Also, it's playable on almost every platform imaginable, including freaking Alexa. Not even including the rest of the Elder Scrolls series, Skyrim itself has outsold the entire Doom franchise by almost double.

Among gamers and culturally, I could see a strong argument being made that the Dragonborn is more recognizable, relevant, and impactful (recently, not overall) than the Doomslayer. Also, his moveset would be so cool! Fus ro dah! (And much better than the Doomslayer moveset, I might add.)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Square Enix=> Hero
Atlus => Joker
SNK => Terry
H??? => ???
Because Nintendo is going to pick characters for the fighter's pass based on the first letter of the company that owns them.

D

Deleted member

Square Enix=> Hero
Atlus => Joker
SNK => Terry
H??? => ???
I love that these theories make Sakurai a kind of pattern obsessed dude who choses based on them.
You know what I find interesting? For all the people that think Bethesda is getting a rep in Ultimate's DLC, it blows my mind that everyone thinks it will be Doomslayer over Dovahkiin. I understand that the Doom franchise is credited for creating the FPS genre and that he's iconic in that sense, but I could see Nintendo pulling this out of a hat. Skyrim was so popular and influential that most modern masterpieces (like BotW) draw inspiration from it. Also, it's playable on almost every platform imaginable, including freaking Alexa. Not even including the rest of the Elder Scrolls series, Skyrim itself has outsold the entire Doom franchise by almost double.

Among gamers and culturally, I could see a strong argument being made that the Dragonborn is more recognizable, relevant, and impactful (recently, not overall) than the Doomslayer. Also, his moveset would be so cool! Fus ro dah! (And much better than the Doomslayer moveset, I might add.)
Its just common for the fanbase to focus on one character disregarding other options. I personally find both Doomguy and Dovahkin equally as likely for different reasons.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Dragonborn is one of my low-key expectations, kind of like Ezio or an SNK rep. Obviously we got one of those, so time will tell on the others. Skyrim was and somehow still is massive, and would be a great character and stage to add to the world of Smash with a heavy moveset, especially since we may not be getting a Monster Hunter.

Also I had a dream that the last character was just Bandana Dee and everyone had a meltdown. Though the night before I had a dream that I was mowing Heihachi's lawn and listening to the final rep and it was someone from Okami, so I'm not sure I'd take my dreams as prophecy.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Apologies for being late on the "name your top desired characters for the additional DLC" but, I'd go with the following:

1. Adol Christin (Y's)
2. Mr. Higgins (Adventure Island)
3. Klonoa
4. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
5. Crash Bandicoot

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Plus, Skyrim was on the Switch practically around launch time. The DOOM games were added just this year. Also, isn’t Skyrim overall more popular in Japan than DOOM too? Banjo, while from a Western franchise, was more popular in Japan than other Microsoft exclusive characters like Master Chief.

in an ideal world I’d prefer a Fallout rep cause Fallout is my JAM but... yeah that’s never gonna happen...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There are a few moveset concepts on Youtube if you want.
His moveset would capitalize on his brutal strenght and his fast paced combat, considering it's very important to keep moving in the Doom games, it'd be his weakness I think.
This is the most I've ever personally been interested in Doom Slayer, mostly because this amounts to "Chrom but with guns." :p

D

Deleted member

Square Enix=> Hero
Atlus => Joker
SNK => Terry
H??? => ???
H... For Hasbro... Twilight Sparkle is a lock now bois

Do any of you think we'll get a reveal for the fifth fighter before the game awards?
I'm thinking Terry's presentation might have the next reveal there. Hardly anything gets leaked during the video presentations, so if they really wanted to put a stop from their stuff getting spoiled early on, doing it on Terry's presentation could work (of course that won't be the reason for doing it on that video but still). Otherwise, it'll probably be either at the Game Awards (which I won't be expecting) or on a Direct sometime in 2020 before March.

SKX31

Smash Master

SNK is owned by 37 Games (more or less)
More or less, yes. To resummarize using a crudely drawn Paint.Net image:

SNK.png

Additional sources (The second source documenting the Hong Kong based Leyou's intent to buy SNK via Ledo. Before it was completed). The "Target Company" segment makes it blatantly obvious.

Also, as further reading, the SamSho MMORPG page. (Scroll down on this one, the MMORPG's dev is listed as Ledo, with Tencent being the publisher)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Do any of you think we'll get a reveal for the fifth fighter before the game awards?
If the character appeals more to the west I think it will be revealed at the Game Awards. If that's not the case then probably november or maybe december, outside of Game Awards.

If they reveal the first DLC character of the second wave at the game awards then I'm gonna assume it's a mainstream character that is well known to the audience in there.

Kratos anyone? No? Okay I'll walk myself out of here...

For real though imagine if it was Kratos
Well I don't think it will be 100% a mainstream character.
Kratos, I already talked about him, but it's not gonna hapen. But you're not alone in this, I'd would like Kratos in Smash even if it's almost impossible.

Outside of non videogame characters a Sony rep would be the most shocking inclusion and if it was Kratos the impact would be even bigger. I love God of War so I would be really happy with him xD

I don't know. Of course Skyrim was important and it's a well known game. Personally I don't like Skyrim, nothing against that game but Bethesda RPGs aren't for me.
The thing is, maybe I give too much relevance at this, but Sakurai tends to represent classic, influential and retro franchises, probably because he has more connection to these games. Between Doom and any other Bethesda IP I seriously doubt Sakurai wouldn't pick Doom, but maybe that's just how I see things.

About Skyrim being so popular and influential, that's not different for Doom. And if we follow that line then we would have Master Chief or Steve instead of Banjo. For that and other reasons I think Sakurai would choose Doom in first place if we talk about Bethesda.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Plus, Skyrim was on the Switch practically around launch time. The DOOM games were added just this year. Also, isn’t Skyrim overall more popular in Japan than DOOM too? Banjo, while from a Western franchise, was more popular in Japan than other Microsoft exclusive characters like Master Chief.

in an ideal world I’d prefer a Fallout rep cause Fallout is my JAM but... yeah that’s never gonna happen...
The Elder Scrolls as a whole is way more popular in Japan. I don't know how ESO is doing but Skyrim did excellently for a western game (including a perfect score from Famitsu), and Oblivion had a reasonably sized Japanese modding community as well. Even Morrowind received some of the love, getting a Japanese fan translation later down the line. A character like Dragonborn would sell way better in Japan than a character like Doom Slayer (who ticks all of the boxes for "this won't be popular in Japan"). Dragonborn is a good example of why we need to consider other options instead of sticking to a small group group of "lock" characters.

Also I feel more inclined to talk about it because both of my most wanted characters suffer from competition from "locks"

Not even including the rest of the Elder Scrolls series, Skyrim itself has outsold the entire Doom franchise by almost double.
Not just double, it outsold the Doom franchise almost four times over! (Skyrim's 31 Million vs Doom's 8 Million)

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

Although that may be true that Banjo is owned by Rare in the smash credits Atlus, Microsoft and SNK are the companies that show up. I mean the theories pretty bogus but the letters do line up. However letters can be arranged in multiple ways:
Microsoft
Atlus
Square Enix
SNK
???
or
Microsoft
Atlus
Square Enix
???
SNK

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You joke, but there was one prominent video game that Hasbro had a hand in publishing...

But for real, I absolutely would not complain if Glover ended up being DLC 5
I thought he was already in the game though? You know, as a boss, along with Cross-Stitch? :4pacman:

Seriously though, someone needs to mod Cross-Stitch over Crazy Hand and give him the same evil laugh sound effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom