• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Guys I just realised
Not counting virtual pets (the inspiration for digimon) Digimon World predated the anime by one month. So he's a godamn third party.
He would've been third party anyway. Third party doesn't denote media of origin, it denotes ownership.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
One could wonder why he mentioned Iron Man before Goku, though.
Probably beacause Marvel is so huge right now, he gets a lot of requests for him.

Sakurai may be against Goku, Spongebob, and Iron Man in Smash...

...but he still hasn’t said anything about Shrek and Spider-Man
Coming soon to Super Smash Flash 2...

4th party isn't a thing
In the Smash community it is absolutely a thing.

The virtual pets came first which, if Game & Watch counts, those count.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But the game came first. Which means Digimon is a video game franchise. Meaning Digimon was and still is a possibility but apparantly isn't because you said so
I feel like there's some miscommunication here. This:
Either way. Deconfirm.
was said in reference to the "4th party is shorthand for non-video game character" comments, but considering the previous statements about Digimon being 3rd party (and then explaining why 4th parties are disconfirmed) I don't think Pokelego999 was saying that Digimon was disconfirmed, and when this was said:
I think it was due to a misinterpretation of your retort.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, I misinterpereted what Cutie Gwen said. What I meant was that Digimon has a chance as it is 3rd party, which I just discovered. (I kinda thought it was 4th party before so... yeah.)
I also thought that for ages because I always thought Digimon was an anime ripping off the Pokemon anime.

venomthebest

Smash Apprentice
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Most likely a coincidence but I wonder...
all of the doom "evidence" happening recently is reminding me of when we were speculating about hero.....it seemed like all the pieces of the puzzle were aligning perfectly.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
all of the doom "evidence" happening recently is reminding me of when we were speculating about hero.....it seemed like all the pieces of the puzzle were aligning perfectly.
At the same time, Resident Evil also has a lot of the same "pieces". It's still up in the air, so be careful not to jump to conclusions.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Here's the list of major Japanese IPs, Developers, and Publishers that are not in Smash in any capacity right now. It's not necessarily a comprehensive list, but does lay out a number of options:

Koei Tecmo
Ninja Gaiden - Ryu Hayabusa
Dead or Alive
Dynasty Warriors

Arc System Works
Guilty Gear
Blazblue
River City

Grasshopper Manufacture/Suda 51
No More Heroes - Travis Touchdown

Level 5
Professor Layton
Yokai Watch

Bandai Namco
Tales
Tekken
Digimon
Dark Souls
Soulcalibur
Katamari

Capcom
Resident Evil
Monster Hunter
Devil May Cry
Phoenix Wright
(I'll just cut it off there, there's too damn much from Capcom that you could conceivably include).

Square Enix
Kingdom Hearts (sort of)
Crono
Mana
Nier
Tomb Raider (more of an acquisition, so I'm not sure she belongs here)

Konami
Silent Hill
Gradius

Sega
Puyo Puyo
Shin Megami Tensei (If Joker doesn't count as a rep, also technically another Atlus rep)
Shinobi
Yakuza
Phantasy Star

SNK
Samurai Showdown
Metal Slug

Sorry for the long list, but we could go incredibly deep into the pocket of Japanese franchises and not even touch Western IPs or half of these in the process haha.
I think you're sleeping on Marvelous tbh.

They do Story of Seasons, Rune Factory, Daemon X Machina, Senran Kagura and they've done publishing work for games like Grasshopper Manufacture (who I notice you have included), and they're even worked with Pokemon before.

They are very close to Nintendo over the years, they have a longstanding, well known flagship IP, along side other lesser known or more niche ones, are currently releasing a game in a new IP on Switch, while having multiple more games coming.

And Nintendo even deemed Rune Factory 5 important enough to include in a direct as literally just a teaser. I think people underestimate that tidbit. without more to show Nintendo usually doesn't showcase something in a direct, and when they have its been for big games. I think this has a lot to do with how ridiculously popular Stardew has been.

Story of Seasons/OG Harvest Moon is honestly a bigger deal in the overall gaming landscape than I think most give it credit for and tbh I think the biggest reasons no one really talks about it with respect to Smash is because it isn't the type of game most people hype up to ridiculous levels and its not immediately obvious how a Story of Seasons character would work in Smash. But we all know Sakurai could do it if he wanted. He's done crazier things in the past. But because there aren't too many people talking about it, people don't really perceive it to be a possibility, and the lack of exposure sort of reinforces itself. Compare to characters like Travis Touchdown or Geno who get talked about all the time (and are great characters in their own right) but it would be hard to convince me that they have a bigger/more important legacy than Pete/Jack from Story of Seasons/OG Harvest Moon.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So does Elma, and yet you don't hear people talk about it. Depending on how you interpret things, there's lots of characters that just have tons of "evidence" pointing towards them coming to Smash. Not every major development surrounding a character or game has to hint at Smash.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It actually would make a lot of sense for a Story of Seasons character to show up. It's the same reason I bring up Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and why I think Style Savvy is slept on to an extent. Completely unique demographic not yet catered to by the DLC, very unique fighter, and videogame and Nintendo history to boot.

It helps that It's A Wonderful Life just got an HD remake. More people are learning that Story of Seasons is the former Harvest Moon as a result.

ze9

Smash Ace
Gruntilda's Lair, Megalovania and Sign of Evil will elevate Smash Ultimate from a 10/10 to an 11/10.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So does Elma, and yet you don't hear people talk about it. Depending on how you interpret things, there's lots of characters that just have tons of "evidence" pointing towards them coming to Smash. Not every major development surrounding a character or game has to hint at Smash.
I agree with this statement. Another character that has “evidence” is Porky. Nobody talks about this either. And I’m sure there are quite a few other characters that have “evidence” that may or may not result in anything.

Bottom line, nobody really knows what’s “evidence” and what’s not. Some of this may be evidence/hints yes, but I think sometimes we’re all too quick to take any minor thing and blow it up as large as possible to make it Smash related. We’ll see what happens from here. And hopefully nothing gets spoiled beforehand.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I also thought that for ages because I always thought Digimon was an anime ripping off the Pokemon anime.
Ah, when we were young. Hard to be a ripoff when they came out at near exactly the same time XD Digimon is great though. Always hoping a rep gets in, even if their odds are a lot less likely, imo, than other potential additions.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not sure if this is mentioned or not but the dataminers found something

Lets just say Sakurai lied again

There’s another mode found in the 5.0 datamine suposivly rumor is tag team mode

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Not sure if this is mentioned or not but the dataminers found something

Lets just say Sakurai lied again

There’s another mode found in the 5.0 datamine suposivly rumor is tag team mode
"Lied"

An online version of an existing mode or expanded variation on an existing mode after a direct says HRC is "pretty much" the last "new" mode isn't a lie.

Be careful, too, because that's a rabbit hole that could lead to "Oh but what if he was lying about Iron Man???"

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
"Lied"

An online version of an existing mode or expanded variation on an existing mode after a direct says HRC is "pretty much" the last "new" mode isn't a lie.

Be careful, too, because that's a rabbit hole that could lead to "Oh but what if he was lying about Iron Man???"
It does bring something into question, however:

If the remaining datamined Online modes are just variations or extensions of existing ones... what about that one datamined new Smash mode? Was it scrapped? Or is it just something minor enough that it can't really be called a "new mode"?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Weird question but is Iron man really that popular in the context of Smash? The only 4 party that I see people asking are Goku (and sometimes other anime characters), Shrek and Spongebob (the last two are clearly memes). I actually never saw anyone talking about Iron man in Smash aside from Sakurai himself. Is he like more popular in Japan or something?

ze9

Smash Ace
Every character so far has come with a new mode (bar Plant, I think), it's not too surprising that there will be more. I think Terry and the last character will both come with some new mode.

About Doomguy... yeah, he has some shaky "evidence", but mostly I think that he fits just right next to Mario, Link, Samus, Cloud, Banjo, Ryu, Sonic, Pac-man, Simon and the likes. Gaming's haute culture.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The only reliable evidence for characters is from Insiders and Nintendo's Insiders. That's how we got Terry. :p

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
TOP TIER FABA

Honestly if Doom Slayer gets Steve'd this place is gonna explode. Still, Hero had leaks and datamines on his side.
Watch as we get Dovahkiin or even Vault Boy instead of Doom Slayer lmao

id be all for vault boy tbh i heckin love Fallout

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
But the game came first. Which means Digimon is a video game franchise. Meaning Digimon was and still is a possibility but apparantly isn't because you said so
Depends on if you count a Tamagachi-like device as a video game or a toy.
It's a weird sort of middle ground for the original Digimon.

D

Deleted member

Have dataminers found another character evidence like "Brave" ou "Jack" in version 5.0?
There's none that I'm aware of since they probably stepped up their game after Brave got leaked, but Banjo-Kazooie's codename was revealed to be Buddy. Had that codename been leaked on the same time as Jack and Brave, the speculation scene would've probably jumped all over the place on it.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Have dataminers found another character evidence like "Brave" ou "Jack" in version 5.0?
Considering how they removed "Brave" once it became clear that had been found out, I highly doubt that they'd be so careless to leave something like this again.

Though here's a fun discussion topic for everyone here: Which potential newcomers do you think would have which code name?

I for one could see "law"/"lawyer" for Phoenix Wright, "sun" for Amaterasu, or "mech" for Elma.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Considering how they removed "Brave" once it became clear that had been found out, I highly doubt that they'd be so careless to leave something like this again.

Though here's a fun discussion topic for everyone here: Which potential newcomers do you think would have which code name?

I for one could see "law"/"lawyer" for Phoenix Wright, "sun" for Amaterasu, or "mech" for Elma.
One word that needs to be referenced with this character, coffee.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

“Mary” for KOS-MOS
“Prize” for Bandana Dee
“Bull” for Black Shadow
“Deepsea” for Octolings (taken from the Deepsea Metro from Octo Expansion)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom